• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFish

Internal non-removable 512MB flash memory used to storage game save data and downloadable content

Does anyone know the specifics on the DLC they have planned? If I go nuts and fill the flash with old game downloads then decide to make room for more by pruning my catalog will I have to pay for the erased game again or is it a one-time fee that gives me the right to DL a particular game again and again as need arises?

SantaCruZer said:
why isn't the GPU clocked at any higher speed? Since they bumped up the CPU speed to over 700 you would think that the GPU would followed as well since you want a system that works in consistancy.
It is. by the same amount as the CPU (1.5x)

Terrell

Shogmaster said:
The 24MB of "Main RAM" is referring to MoSys 1T SRAM. The 64MB of GDDR3 seemingly is replacing the 16MB of SDRAM, which is an improvement of galactic proportions.
It just contradicts everything we've heard regarding RAM, which was that MoSys and NEC (the fabricators) are the only ones providing system memory. The entirety of the system's installed RAM was supposed to be 1T-SRAM, either in its original form or one of its upgraded derivatives.

And I have a question for you tech guys...

All of the specs "announcements" we've heard have only given MHz measurements on Broadway CPU, but is it possible that the chip is a dual-core? It's one of those things that I don't think anyone has addressed. I mean, Nintendo spent a LOT of money on R&D for this thing, I'd like to think that we're getting more than a MHz upgrade for all that money spent. And it's not like dual-core tech is unheard of in PowerPC chips, and it definitely syncs up with Nintendo's "low power consumption" jargon.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Terrell said:
All of the specs "announcements" we've heard have only given MHz measurements on Broadway CPU, but is it possible that the chip is a dual-core? It's one of those things that I don't think anyone has addressed. I mean, Nintendo spent a LOT of money on R&D for this thing, I'd like to think that we're getting more than a MHz upgrade for all that money spent. And it's not like dual-core tech is unheard of in PowerPC chips, and it definitely syncs up with Nintendo's "low power consumption" jargon.

Yeah, that's one thing I'm really curious about. No one mentioned if it's a dual core or not. Course, then again if they haven't mentioned it, it's probably not. :(

wsippel

Banned
Even if the specs are correct, the thing would be way more powerful than a Xbox. And what's with this "no shaders" BS? That's simply wrong, even the Cube had shaders, and could do pretty much everything the Xbox did (according to Julian Eggebrecht).

some of this seems off. the lower than gamecube bandwith for the cpu is the first thing that makes me doubt this(edit: shogmaster proved this wrong). secondly, the claim that composite will be the only output is hard to imagine. if the wii doesn't have a component out, i seriously might not buy one. i don't care if it doesn't do 720p/1080i, but gamecube games looked like ass through composite on my 30" hdtv.

also, the claim that the wii gpu is the same as the gcn's but 'on the average 1.5 times faster' seems bogus... how the hell is it 'on the average'? either the clock speed is 1.5 times faster or it isn't. i also have a hard time believing there will be no pixel shader support whatsoever...

i really wish nintendo would just fess up at this point, but i guess they don't want to give their competitors ammunition. hopefully, once the machine is released, we'll get some true specs for the hardware.

edit:

on the other hand, if this is true, it could be a nice set-up. it'd have 3MB texture cache and framebuffer on the gpu and 24 MB of the mosys ram to hold additional graphical information (textures and models for the area you are in, but are not in current use). on top of that, you have another 64MB for holding all the other game information (AI, sound, etc). Even a gamecube with that expanded memory pool would produce some very nice visuals. I am hoping they've upgraded the gpu in one way or another--some dedicated pixelshader pipes would be nice, even if it's only 4 or 8.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Mr. Spinnington said:
Now I'm posting in page 2 of a legendary thread.

And still nothing of value to input, imagine that.

If anything, these specs should solidify a very affordable pricepoint, so that's good news.
d

Juice said:
Don't let Baby Jesus near this thread, or he's liable to start bawling.

to late :O

babyjesus.jpg

wsippel said:
Even if the specs are correct, the thing would be way more powerful than a Xbox. And what's with this "no shaders" BS? That's simply wrong, even the Cube had shaders, and could do pretty much everything the Xbox did (according to Julian Eggebrecht).
YES! YES! ARGUE! ARGUE!!

But the TEV units in the GC weren't nearly as powerful as the vertex/pixel units in the XB, or as flexible...

DrEvil said:
And still nothing of value to input, imagine that.

If anything, these specs should solidify a very affordable pricepoint, so that's good news.
d
Wait for page 3, bucko.

EDIT:
SantaCruZer said:
not so sure if this is legendary anymore since we pretty much knew the specs before.

nvm :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Abominable Snowman said:
YES! YES! ARGUE! ARGUE!!

But the TEV units in the GC weren't nearly as powerful as the vertex/pixel units in the XB, or as flexible...

That's how I understood it. With some creative programming, you could create similar effects...but not as easily or as flexibly.

And I really don't care. I'm actually happy I don't have to spend 399 on another megaconsole.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Time to light a fire under this threads ass

I heard earlier today that the Wii will actually be an addon for Googles new console, CPU and GPU both provided by...get this...AM ****EN D

:eek::eek::eek:

lol you just highlighted my spoiler

wsippel

Banned
YES! YES! ARGUE! ARGUE!!

They are supposed to be very flexible and able to do pretty much the same effects, but also so hard to use/ different from standard shader hardware that almost nobody ever really bothered to exploit them. I don't know, that's what Eggebrecht once said. Someone else said pretty much the same in an old interview (on Gamasutra, IIRC)...

Y2Kevbug11 said:
That's how I understood it. With some creative programming, you could create similar effects...but not as easily or as flexibly.

Yes, having some sort of shader support ain't the same as having as good as level. If it was all fine and dany you would think devs would more dominate bump mapping support on GC or something like it's Xbox counterpart. When it comes to things like normal mapping it's pratically in the same ballpart as PS2 ability in it....as in it's pretty terrible. I don't think barely any game if any at all used normal mapping of any kind on GC.

BlueTsunami said:
Time to light a fire under this threads ass

I heard earlier today that the Wii will actually be an addon for Googles new console, CPU and GPU both provided by...get this...AM ****EN D

:eek::eek::eek:

lol you just highlighted my spoiler
no, I just quoted you to say I love you. lol, look at you keep highlighting my spoiler lololololololololololololol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Mr. Spinnington said:
no, I just quoted you to say I love you. lol, look at you keep highlighting my spoiler lololololololololololololol

Shit, I just had to know what you wrote

>:O

Spencerr

Banned
Pretty sure these specs mean nothing to me.

360 is my "spec" machine. Wii is going to be my favorite toy. Let's be honest, Nintendo makes fabulous toys.

Not a troll

All I know is I'm going somewhere, and in 2 hours this thread better be 4 going on 5 pages at the least, with at least 5MB in images arguing Wii vs other consoles (Xbox most likely...LOL)

There also better be arguments about sales and whatnot, regular GAF warmongering

If this is not so, Bush will declare war against the US.

All I know is I'm going somewhere, and in 2 hours this thread better be 4 going on 5 pages at the least, with at least 5MB in images arguing Wii vs other consoles (Xbox most likely...LOL)

There also better be arguments about sales and whatnot, regular GAF warmongering

If this is not so, Bush will declare war against the US.

Meh ... I think most people have accepted the Wii would be somewhere along these specs a long time ago. The only thing to "argue" about are a few details about the list that seem a tad off (the analog TV out, the type of RAM).

Oblivion

soundwave05 said:
Meh ... I think most people have accepted the Wii would be somewhere along these specs a long time ago. The only thing to "argue" about are a few details about the list that seem a tad off (the analog TV out, the type of RAM).

And if it's dual core or not. No one's answered that yet. :(

Mmmkay

I feel I need to say something in this momentous thread, but all I can come up with is:

Bluemercury said:
This is probably fake, the Redsteel guys said the gpu was still being developed....
You, err... I've got these beans, they're magic beans.

kennycraigqk8.jpg

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under.

Oblivion said:
And if it's dual core or not. No one's answered that yet. :(

Would it really make it that much more powerful? I've never understood anything like this, and I don't intend to any time soon.

Liquid3 said:
Gamecube never had 512mb and built in wifi so 199$.:)

Yeah then again, the GCN also was being sold with a free game, microphone, and two controllers for $99.99 *a year ago*.

And 512MB flash memory cost peanuts especailly at a mass manufacturing level. WiFi is in the DS/PSP too ... I don't think it's as expensive as a component as people think.

YourMaster

Stopsign said:
Would it really make it that much more powerful? I've never understood anything like this, and I don't intend to any time soon.

It's like having two Einsteins thinking about their relatives instead of just one. They think just as fast, but have twice the mirrors.

Simple enough?

Spencerr

Banned
Stopsign said:

I don't know all that much, but I think it depends on how well / how much developers use a little thing called multithreading

Liquid3

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Yeah then again, the GCN also was being sold with a free game, microphone, and two controllers for $99.99 *a year ago*.

And 512MB flash memory cost peanuts especailly at a mass manufacturing level. WiFi is in the DS/PSP too ... I don't think it's as expensive as a component as people think.
True, but we still dont know how much each controller costs and what comes in the box.

Oblivion

Stopsign said:

It might be able to have a couple more hundred characters on screen, I suppose.

Mmmkay said:
I feel I need to say something in this momentous thread, but all I can come up with is:

You, err... I've got these beans, they're magic beans.

kennycraigqk8.jpg

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under.

???

Liquid3 said:
True, but we still dont know how much each controller costs and what comes in the box.

The controller can't cost more than $40 or so.

Otherwise how is Nintendo supposed to sell seperate controllers? No chance in hell they would ever take a loss on an accessorie.

The accelorometers in the Wiimote cost a Nintendo a whopping $1 each according to a prior report ... I don't think the whole idea of the Wiimote ever would've been approved by the suits at Nintendo unless the controller was cost effective.

Certainly I think it costs more than a regular ol' controller, but I'm not buying that it's like $80 or something. The cost of Bluetooth has dropped dramatically these past few years, as has WiFi and flash memory. These aren't exactly cost-killing components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom