• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadaima

Liquid3 said:
+ orange port = 205$

+ Unlimited fun = $599?

h_9_ill_750823_ps300783284.jpg

NotWii

Banned
- The GPU of the Wii is identical to the GC’s but it is on average 1.5X faster.
Cool list but...

Wii's GPU's Broadway is a superset of Flipper. ATi has already gone on the record to say that one of the differences is that Broadway will be fully programmable, unlike Flipper.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Sooo another Wii spec thread! It's a lie! Obviously the Wii's gonna be more powerful than the 360 and PS3 combined... It's in the bible!

Mmmkay

Bluemercury said:
There is absolutely not even the remotest possibility that a device launching in around 3 months time is still having its GPU designed. The specifications of the GPU will have been well known to developers, even in the absence of final hardware in dev kits.

soundwave05 said:
Isn't progressive scan (480p) impossible over an analog output?

It is for DVD players AFAIK.

No analog includes component which can send signals up to 1080p

the only that would suck about all analog out put is for the audio probably no chance of the port having a fiber optics out on it (like the original Xbox Advanced AV output packs)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mmmkay said:
There is absolutely not even the remotest possibility that a device launching in around 3 months time is still having its GPU designed. The specifications of the GPU will have been well known to developers, even in the absence of final hardware in dev kits.

Didn't MS upgrade the RAM of the 360 like 3 months before it launched?

Tadaima

Archie said:

But 4D is optional. It is utilised via the orange port.

Just kidding about the orange port.

...It's actually used for the HD and eight-channel sound adapter.

I really think both MS and Nintendo were planning on the PS3 being $300-$400.

Nintendo probably felt the pricing difference between the PS2-GC-XBox obviously wasn't extreme enough, so they had two choices.

Make a $300-$400 console up to snuff with the PS3/360.

or

Go in the other direction and make a sub-$200 console.

I think obviously we know what they ended up choosing.

nightez

Banned
Wii said:
Cool list but...

Wii's GPU's Broadway is a superset of Flipper. ATi has already gone on the record to say that one of the differences is that Broadway will be fully programmable, unlike Flipper.
when did they say that?

Mmmkay said:

Well thats what the ubi guys said.......anyway i think that we all know the wii will be inferior to the ps3/Xbx360 but Nintendo is stupid if the gpu does not come with recent shading technology......

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bluemercury said:
Well thats what the ubi guys said.......anyway i think that we all know the wii will be inferior to the ps3/Xbx360 but Nintendo is stupid if the gpu does not come with recent shading technology......

Can you find that quote? It's not coming with recent shading technology by almost every account. A lot of people speculated early that it would be a slow SM 3.0 capable card (hence Hollywood) but it doesn't look like it.

Liquid3

Banned
Eddz said:
But 4D is optional. It is utilised via the orange port.

Just kidding about the orange port.

...It's actually used for the HD and eight-channel sound adapter.
what have i done?:lol

Bluemercury said:

Depends on what you define as "recent shading technology". The Wii will probably just have a beefed up version of the GC's TEV setup or whatever that was.

soundwave05 said:
Sounds pretty detailed and believable.

Then again, it could also be culled from information that was pretty widely known.
IAWTP

This is the same as what Cassamasina posted before E3. No real surprises. GDDR3 is a nice addtion and a nice clarifcation if true. One of the neat things about how the 1T-SRAM was on the GameCube was that it could be used directly by the Flipper. With this improvment in the secondary ram (from 16meg to 64 and from dram to GDDR3) I'm sure that most developers will just use the 24 megs of 1T as texture memory and use the GDDR3 as flat program space.

Hopefully they're wrong about the DVD speed. 6x seems kinda slow. 1x is 10mbit/s, so 6x is somewhere around 60mbit/s - transform to mbytes - 7.5Mbyte/s - 88mb/7.5 gives us theoretical 11.7 second load times. Hopefully most companies will be able to keep their code clean enough to not incur PS2 level load times, but somehow I think that most of the more manufactured and less crafted games will hit 11 seconds every time.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Can you find that quote? It's not coming with recent shading technology by almost every account. A lot of people speculated early that it would be a slow SM 3.0 capable card (hence Hollywood) but it doesn't look like it.

Is it really that difficult/expensive to come up with a decent gpu that has all those fancy effects?i mean we have so many gpus in the pc market that are cheap but have the latest tecnology implemented....

Mmmkay

Bluemercury said:
Well thats what the ubi guys said......
If it is this quote you are talking about:
In May, the graphics of the E3 demo were a work in progress. Remember, we are working on a console that is also currently in development. The console's calendar therefore conditions our own calendar. We received the Wii kit one month prior E3.
Then what he is describing is the difficulty in transitioning from alpha to beta tp final hardware. The physical hardware you are developing your launch title with will change quite a lot through development, but the paper specs behind it would be in stone for much longer than the final kit is in your hands. You're simply reading too much in to his words.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Bluemercury said:
Is it really that difficult/expensive to come up with a decent gpu that has all those fancy effects?i mean we have so many gpus in the pc market that are cheap but have the latest tecnology implemented....
You mean cheap as in being almost the price of what the complete Wii package will be going for by themselfs?

well a friend of mine just bought an ati x1600pro radeon for 100€ and i bet it has sm3.0 support and the latest effects like HDR and other effects included.....

artist

Banned
I'll take one for $199, anything more I'm not so sure.

The DVD drive spec is quite surprising to me atleast, why limited to 6x? Noise or anything else.

Oblivion

Shogmaster said:
Yes. Does that matter so much to you? And it's apples and oranges (X86 P3 Celeron vs PPC750).

Just out of curiosity, how comparable were the two processors (GC and Xbox)? Did each have certain advantages over the other?

Oblivion said:
Just out of curiosity, how comparable were the two processors (GC and Xbox)? Did each have certain advantages over the other?

The Celeron does less per clock then the Gekko, but it was clocked much faster so I'd say that the XBox had somewhat more powerful CPU at the end.

Speevy

Banned
The Xbox was utilized a lot quicker than the 360 is finding itself. Nothing wrong with comparable specs at all.

AniHawk

Shogmaster said:
The Celeron does less per clock then the Gekko, but it was clocked much faster so I'd say that the XBox had somewhat more powerful CPU at the end.
So does that mean the Wii will be more powerful than the Gamecube?

koam

I believe these specs because they are completely inline with everything we know and nothing is far fetched.

There are some specs that are missing though. For example, the remotes also have a few kb of memory. It's low though, i think 2KB.

Speevy

Banned
Ya know, several 360 games have been criticized with the sentence "Looks like an Xbox game with better textures."

Well, there ya go. Tomb Raider Legend, Hitman, and Moto GP 06. Pretty much all you need to know.

Oblivion

Speevy said:
Ya know, several 360 games have been criticized with the sentence "Looks like an Xbox game with better textures."

Well, there ya go. Tomb Raider Legend, Hitman, and Moto GP 06. Pretty much all you need to know.

What are you tryin to say?

wsippel

Banned
The specs might be more or less correct, but the article is definitely fishy. For example, if Nintendo really uses an overclocked, shrinked Flipper, where did the millions of RD-money go? And why did that ATI guy say that designing Hollywood took years, and that it was designed from scratch, not based on Flipper or any PC GPU? Why wasn't the speaker or the Zapper-mode mentioned?

Speevy said:

Tomb Raider Legend on the 360 DOES NOT in anyway look like an Xbox 1.5 game. The game is absolutely drop dead gorgeous during some sections. Just look at the King Arthur level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom