• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

Saw some people with their own messages, reminded me of those cheesy things they show at bowling lanes, which led to these:

zlCfzRMIgw8rEvB7rv

zlCfzRMUXzg4Sn-6OU

zlCfzRMUY9c-KWeTf9

zlCfzRMUbEQDgplNqf

zlCfzRMUdG8H9Xa0xj

Love it. The WAHHH is the best.

Steph_E.

Do you think Boxing will mandate or at least give us the option of using 2 Wiimote pluses? It just occurred to me that the nunchuks aren't motion plus, and I always found the nunchuk cord annoying in Boxing. Since it's only 2-player, 4 Wiimotes will work fine, but then I wonder how many people own 4 Wiimotes or would be forced to play online if they only own 2, and how many people would just be out of luck if they only owned 1.

You have the option of using 2 Wiimote pluses in Wii Fit U boxing, so I don't see why not.

Tom_Cody

This evening I played a bunch of Wii Fit and then decided to hop into the Wii Sports demo.

While playing Wii Sports my Wii Remote continually lost connection with my Wii U. By continually I mean like every 8 seconds. The game was completely unplayable so I switched Wii remotes. The problem continued. I hadn't experienced this while I was playing Wii Fit nor has this been a problem for me in general.

Does anyone know what this is about?

For the sake of being thorough I will say that I was using the Wii motion plus nub that came with Wii Sports Resort back in the day and I used that one Wii motion plus with two separate Wii remotes.

Celine

Is this the first online game that communicates motion controls, back and forth?
I understand there is a certain overhead for keeping track of motion controls but when Mario Kart 7 can do 8 players races without a sweat on the measly 3DS, there is surely something wrong on the netcode.
Not to talk about the lack of options like enable disconnection when the connection is 1 bar for 20-30 seconds...

Celine

I dunno. I played for about six hours of real time with the free trial. I'm not willing to spend money to figure out what the problem is. When the free trial with golf hits, I'll give it another try.
Jaded is right though.
The basics are very similar to the original wii tennis.
So if you were good at it you start at a good level in the new game too.
However now the controls use motion plus that mean the game always known how you are handling the racket that result, in my experience, in a bigger number of "bad" shots.
The other problem is the drifting of the controls, now should be heavily suggested to point the screen with the wiimote after every stroke...

Zing

Banned
They didn't need to sync the full game state, or even track the racket position. Just send the ball trajectory data, and the responsiveness would be greatly increased. I wonder if this is due to the developers living in the bubble of Japan, where everyone has good Internet access and live 50km away from each other.

kitsuneyo

Jaded is right though.
The basics are very similar to the original wii tennis.
So if you were good at it you start at a good level in the new game too.
However now the controls use motion plus that mean the game always known how you are handling the racket that result, in my experience, in a bigger number of "bad" shots.
The other problem is the drifting of the controls, now should be heavily suggested to point the screen with the wiimote after every stroke...

Agree about the drifting controls, the need to keep D-padding at the screen is a weakness. But the control system itself is great. How long have you spent with it, because after 6-7 hours I feel pretty much in total control of my shots now. I'm not even that good at winning games, but the controls are totally fair and predictable.

Tom_Cody

This evening I played a bunch of Wii Fit and then decided to hop into the Wii Sports demo.

While playing Wii Sports my Wii Remote continually lost connection with my Wii U. By continually I mean like every 8 seconds. The game was completely unplayable so I switched Wii remotes. The problem continued. I hadn't experienced this while I was playing Wii Fit nor has this been a problem for me in general.

Does anyone know what this is about?

For the sake of being thorough I will say that I was using the Wii motion plus nub that came with Wii Sports Resort back in the day and I used that one Wii motion plus with two separate Wii remotes.
Anyone?

Tom_Cody

Possibly a poor connection between the Wii Remote and the Wii Motion Plus? I think this happened to me once or twice with mine in Nintendoland.
:/

I'm fearing that my Wii Motion Plus might be done for. The Wii Fit U games probably don't require the motion plus and that's why I didn't have an issue with that piece of software. It looks like it's time for me invest in the Wii U Party with Wii Remote Plus bundle.

The one wrinkle here is that the error message I got said that the connection with remote and the wii had been severed and not the connection with the motion plus. Oh well. I'll play around with this a bit more tonight.

Pachimari

I'm playing my first online match in bowling currently and it's super fluid and lag-free.

But isn't it possible to chat with each other? At least communicate somehow (not the predefined words)?

Glass Joe

I'm playing my first online match in bowling currently and it's super fluid and lag-free.

But isn't it possible to chat with each other? At least communicate somehow (not the predefined words)?

No. Though I hope they consider adding it to at least friend only matches (this is the sort of game that I can picture getting "improved" overall with each sport added).

For me, I wish some aspects could be done off TV. Not playing the sport, exactly, but at least navigating / creating Miiverse posts & checking records.

When games like this and Wii Party U have the gamepad saying "look at TV" most of the time, that's not a very convincing implementation.

Pachimari

It would be nice to have the scoreboard in bowling on the GamePad.

Also, can't I quit an online game manually? If so, how?

I were stuck in one where everyone left. :/

Anyone wanna play bowling with me now?

Teknoman

I finally booted this up... and wow i've forgotten how cool the Wii Sports series themes were.

Would be AMAZING if they updated the club with fencing and jetski racing. Those were two of the greatest things from Sports Resort, and they've already got the two best sports from Wii Sports.

L~A

Dunno if it's the right place to post that, but I just compelted the survey for Wii Sports Club on the EU Club Nintendo.... and it actually nets you 250 stars, instead of the regular 50 stars for downloadable titles. So basically, that's 250 stars for free, since I don't think it's because I bought the two sports available (only had one survey, which didn't mention any of the sports at all).

japtor

Weird, it's not even showing under my product history (which includes demos and other stuff). Not sure if that's a US thing or it's just screwing up for me.

One more banter image:

zlCfzRMnKe8C8wXuTh

I think I have most bases covered now. Strike, spare, split, and general failure. If only they'd let you map the down button so I could have everything mapped at once.

I know this has been done to death but it really is surprising to have a console download a game for you, use your bandwidth, and only be playable with controllers that don't come with the console you buy.

The game looks great. Wish I could play it. :/

iphys

It only wasted your bandwidth and storage space if you elected to have automatic downloads, which is why I opted out, although this is one thing I wouldn't have minded downloading automatically.

Formless

It could be all in my head, but I definitely felt a difference in the new version. It's more realistic, for sure, but it's harder to get the ball where you want it to go.

Your tilt matters more. You can lob the ball more easily and vary it a bit more. Use smaller movements and you'll notice.
EDIT: Kinda fun to just browse GAF while the bowling rounds go through

mstevens

There's nothing more satisfying than a comeback win against a high ranked player who is spamming taunts and lobbing the ball several times before serving.

Edit: Does anyone have any pointers for bowling? I had a very consistent shot in the original Wii Sports, but it's definitely not working in this version. I've tried lots of stuff but my curves are not consistent at all for some reason...

kuppy

So how is online for others? Sucked pretty bad for me, I hope I only had bad timing and no luck though.

I wasn't able to find a two player tennis match at all, we played for over half an hour in this lobby training mode (so next gen btw) and searched again and again, the search was of course open for everyone. A single tennis match also took two or three tries till I finally found someone and one of the two matches I had was damn full of lag (I guess that was just the problem of my opponent, well, the connection bar showed 4 out of 5 and my connection is excellent).

I also didn't like that I couldn't do a team online search for bowling, would have been nice to do a 3v3 or whatever. And the single match also took some tries, just like tennis, only did one match and that was fine.

Is the online search restricted to my console region?

Liked the local multiplayer a lot, was very enjoyable, but I don't always have people around that will play some Wii sports with me, so yeah, not completely sure if I should bite.
Also I hope there will be many more modes and Nintendo doesn't close this chapter after they have golf, boxing and baseball out there. I want some games that are no ports of the original idea with some added features (baseball and golf sort of try that), instead they should be completely designed around the Wii U. I mean why shouldn't there be around 15 different sports in the end, if they are great I would buy them.

Celine

So how is online for others? Sucked pretty bad for me, I hope I only had bad timing and no luck though.
It really depend on many factors.
First 2 vs 2 matches aren't recommended (have more lag, few people to challenge).

As far 1 vs 1 it's quite random from my experience.

No matter if you have a match against a guy in your own club (so near you) or a game against a guy you already played with good connection in the past there is always the chance the game stutter/lag.
It happened to me even matches were connection started strong, then went to shit and ultimately recovered a bit.

I suppose it depend from the connection of the two players and Nintendo servers overhead.

Haven't played this in a while. It got annoying having to play the same 5 guys over and over because not enough people were *-9. Hopefully more people are up there now and still playing.

Turrican3

No matter if you have a match against a guy in your own club (so near you) or a game against a guy you already played with good connection in the past there is always the chance the game stutter/lag.
Ouch, really?
I guess I have to unblock a few people then... not that this was the ideal solution to the slowmo matches in the first place by the way. :-\
(but I thought it was at least consistent in indicating a very poor connection, but now that I think about it... of course you never know what people are doing with their data connection at any given time so blocking was definitely NOT a good idea even in the short term)

Celine

Ouch, really?
I guess I have to unblock a few people then... not that this was the ideal solution to the slowmo matches in the first place by the way. :-\
(but I thought it was at least consistent in indicating a very poor connection, but of course you never know what people are doing with their data connection at any given time)
Yeah, I thought that too at first but it happened to me.

Not only that but it happened to me to do three straight matches against same person (a french guy) and having the first two with passable connection while the third I had a slideshow.

It's really random.

Turrican3

It's really random.
I guess you're right. :-\
It's really a pity such an addictive game has to be ruined by poor online...

As I wrote on Miiverse, Nintendo/Namco really should, at the very least, allow us to choose the best opponent, connection-wise; especially considering the connection quality meter is basically broken/useless: from my own experience 99.9% of the laggy matches start with a 4-5 bar indicator.

(the only thing that has happened to me with a certain degree of consistency is bad matches against people from Spain... ADSL lines worse than the Italian (average) ones confirmed? XD)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I played the other night and it went quite nice. There were couple of games with some lag but nothing unplayable. Even played against 2 italians with no major issues.

Zarovitch

Yep, that too... but with like, I don't know, no penalty for exiting the match during the first 2-3 points.

Exact, no penalty, but each player should ask to quit the game.

Or, i don't know, it could be possible to detect the game is unplayable.
The game must stop by himself.

Celine

Or, i don't know, it could be possible to detect the game is unplayable.
The game must stop by himself.
this is preferable.
If the response rate from one of the two is too low for a time span (let's say 20 seconds) then the match should be terminated automatically.

Top Bottom