• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

Am I just terrible or are WSC Golf's controls slightly broken?
I was eager to try it out, but every shot, thus far, has been extremely frustrating...
It does take a couple of games to get used to it. That said I can't drive at full power, I usually just reach 3/4.
I use practice swings to see how far up the swingometer I'll reach and compare that to the distance I need to reach If you are in the rough you might need to compensate for that.
Chipping and putting I find easier. I have to repeat the practice swing until I'm happy.
It is hard though.

I feel like a rotten scoundrel confessing this (much less suggesting it), but I've discovered that female Miis get a lot more matchups than their gender counterparts.

For example, on Wii Tennis I've discovered that my chances at finding a match is 10%, meaning for every 10 attempts, I'll be lucky to find 1 person. I'm a star-10 player, so I understand that some lower level players are omitted from the match-making process. BUT when I use my girlfriend's Mii, who also happens to be a star-10 player, I'm guaranteed a match once out of every 2 attempts -- and not only that, but I'm more frequently matched up with a female opponent. On my Mii character, I haven't been matched up against a female opponent since I first started playing the game.

I don't know what the hell is going on or what kind of match-up system Nintendo's put in place, but it sucks. It sucks I have to play under my girlfriend's Mii to find opponents.

kizmah

Loving the free trial. I have tennis since release but I put in two hours on golf today. Will play more over the weekend and that will probably be enough. Nintendo should really lower the prices for the separate sports but a free trial over the weekend is a nice enough way to compensate.

Zing

Banned
I rage quit golf this morning. The controls just suck a fat cock. I have no trouble with sports resort. The club version is a crap shoot. So glad I didn't pay for this.

That tennis matchup gender thing must be true. I have never, ever, been matched with a female.

Berg

I rage quit golf this morning. The controls just suck a fat cock. I have no trouble with sports resort. The club version is a crap shoot. So glad I didn't pay for this.

That tennis matchup gender thing must be true. I have never, ever, been matched with a female.

Lol, yea the controls. Golf does take some skills...or techniques you can learn. I'm able to get birdies consistently.

DrWong

Golf controls work fine for me, better than tennis controls, allowing for greater and deeper gameplay mechanics.

Jeels

So I was playing the one day trial and really excited to play this but man was playing this disappointing. Not sure what I was expecting.

maxcriden

Anyone still play Wii Tennis?

My record is 500+ wins in 700+ games.

I need new competition. If MK8 GAF is anything to go by, GAF players should be tougher to beat!

I keep forgetting I have this. I don't think I've played it since the first week. I'll try to get on sometime soon, but, I don't think you're missing much not playing against me!

BooJoh

I didn't spend much time with them on the previous Wii Sports games, but Baseball seems decent, if a bit oversimplified. It's pretty easy to pitch with the Gamepad and catch fly balls, but the AI seems to catch other hits more quickly, resulting in more outs for the player on successful hits. This probably has more to do with batting, which is all about timing. I dont think aim really matters at all. It feels pretty nice.

Boxing, on the other hand, feels like a slow sluggish mess to me. It'll register straight punches as uppercuts with the slightest downward shift, same with side punches. and you can't punch quickly. Honestly boxing just makes me wish I could use PunchOut style button controls.

These impressions are just from one quick single player match of each. I'm tempted to grab the pair just because it's $10 for both and baseball is actually somewhat entertaining.

The two came out tonight and upon loading up the game you'll have a 48 hour pass for all sports.

I'll probably buy baseball tomorrow since I was a big fan of the original baseball game on the Wii. Not really interested in boxing but since you get both games for the $10, it's like a bonus.

NateDrake

Really enjoy the baseball. Pitching with the GamePad is a pretty nice concept and gives the player more control than what the Wii version offered. Played two games online and won both. Hit a couple of home-runs and struck out 9 batters so far.

The baseball changes are great, but is there a way to change to side-arm delivery as the pitcher? On original Wii Sports it was the 2 button, I believe.

Top Bottom