• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Resort

Between this, Grand Slam Tennis and Tiger Woods 10, the Wii is packing some serious sports-gaming heat this summer.

That trailer looks brilliant.

wsippel

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:
So there's no delay now? Because I was sure I saw something like that happening with Red Steel 2.
According to the AiLive LiveMove 2 documentation, motion tracking using Motion+ should be almost lag free, with a delay of no more than a single frame. Any noticeable latency in certain games is probably caused elsewhere.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I had no clue this had an updated version of bowling along with the re-done golf.

Day one.

PusherT

Anihawk how did you like the sword fighting? Did you actaullyhave to black and attack with startergy? The basketball, archery, sword fighting sound shit hot. the canoing sound fun too . I think I will get WSR and VT 2009. Not a big golf fan. I hope Nintendo makes a Wii basketball game with motionplus that would shit hot. I only wish WSR had include 21 and HORSE also

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Any word on online play or leaderboards? I don't have any friends IRL so those are my only options for multiplayer.

Lyude77

This game is looking awesome, I wish it was coming out sooner. Though...I guess it's good that nothing I really want is coming out until the end of July because I'll be able to focus on Organic Chemistry more.

I mean, I want SMT: Devil Survivor and Little King's Story, but those can wait.

Davey Cakes

Fuck all those people who said that Nintendo's E3 sucked until the last ten minutes. I actually enjoyed seeing more of Wii Sports Resort on stage. It's not just going to be another Wii Play, Wii Fit, or Wii Music. It sounds so much more varied and satisfying from a pure gameplay standpoint than any of these games, especially with MotionPlus. If the self-proclaimed "hardcore" folks don't like it, then they can shove it up their ass.

This is a big game for Nintendo, and deservedly so. That person who said it'll make the original Wii Sports look like a tech demo was probably right, and I'm glad for that. Wii Sports Resort marks an evolution of core game mechanics surrounding the Wiimote's motion-sensing capabilities, after all.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Yeah, Wii Sports Resort is one stacked game and definitely a killer app for showcasing M+. It actually LOOKS nice too, shockingly enough.

Edit: :lol It's actually kind of disturbing to be watching piles of fallen Mii's after you strike them down. :lol

pakkit said:
54 seconds in a stabbing motion forward is recognized and executed... So there goes that argument.

Oh, and I love the Zelda references. :lol
Thought I was the only one who noticed!

Davey Cakes

Cow Mengde said:
Is there a difficulty setting for this? I wish the A.I. was a little bit more aggressive. Right now, the A.I. reminds me of Dynasty Warriors. Stand there and do nothing with an occasional lucky hit here and there.
The AI may get better as you get better, like in the original Wii Sports. That'd be great.

Even if the enemies are dumb, it's not like you'll necessarily be having an easy time defeating them anyway, since I really doubt that MotionPlus swordfighting is something that you'll grasp immediately and master within minutes.

I recently got back into Wii Sports.

What a load of fun. And I hear Sports Resort is better!

Hmm.

I do wish it came with two M+, though. Whatta pain.

1-D_FTW

Rash said:
Fuck all those people who said that Nintendo's E3 sucked until the last ten minutes. I actually enjoyed seeing more of Wii Sports Resort on stage. It's not just going to be another Wii Play, Wii Fit, or Wii Music. It sounds so much more varied and satisfying from a pure gameplay standpoint than any of these games, especially with MotionPlus. If the self-proclaimed "hardcore" folks don't like it, then they can shove it up their ass.

This is a big game for Nintendo, and deservedly so. That person who said it'll make the original Wii Sports look like a tech demo was probably right, and I'm glad for that. Wii Sports Resort marks an evolution of core game mechanics surrounding the Wiimote's motion-sensing capabilities, after all.

The thing I find humorous is there are literally thousands of posts about Sony's & MS motion prototypes on gaf, but WS:R looks like the best motion game yet released... and the best motion game for the foreseeable future, and it's a thread that's struggling to crack 100 posts. Hmm. Sony and MS will be very lucky to have a launch title that's this good. And gaf ignores it.

JohnsonUT

I can see Nintendo having low supplies of stand alone M+ components. Any indication how many they are shipping out?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It seems that Nintendo knows EXACTLY what they are doing with this game, not that they usually don't, but this just seems so impressive - especially compared to Wii Sports. Looks like a much meatier game overall with some really addicting games.

I was a bit lukewarm about this game last year. Seemed okay.. swordplay intrigued me as well as jet ski, but I thought they would probably just go off the Wii Sports name and not put this much effort into it.

Can't wait for Jet Ski and Frisbee Golf. :D Really glad that the plane game made it in.

Definitely going to pre-order this off Amazon at some near point in the future, looks to be a ton of value + Motion+. With a bit of luck, I hope my Wii makes it back from Nintendo's Repair Lair prior to WSR arriving in the mail.

This just seems like a game that I'd want to marathon for days at a time once I get it...just chill the hell out and take in all the events. Freaking July sucks in GA especially weather wise...

Davey Cakes

Well, right now if I preorder Wii Sports Resort and an extra MotionPlus on Amazon, I'll save four bucks.

I know I definitely want this game. So, what do you guys think? Should I go with Amazon or look for other options?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
wsippel said:
According to the AiLive LiveMove 2 documentation, motion tracking using Motion+ should be almost lag free, with a delay of no more than a single frame. Any noticeable latency in certain games is probably caused elsewhere.

Programming and engine, really.

The same applies to the motion and pointer controls of the Wii as is. Some games are so much more responsive than others it's laughable. The tech might be there, but it still needs to be programmed well.

I figure the same will apply to MotionPlus. The tech is theoretically there and extremely precise and responsive, but developers will no doubt get sloppy and you'll end up with a ton of unresponsive crap.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wii Sports Resort's sword fighting remains the most responsive and precise on the system until either Zelda Wii or the next system.

Rash said:
Well, right now if I preorder Wii Sports Resort and an extra MotionPlus on Amazon, I'll save four bucks.

I know I definitely want this game. So, what do you guys think? Should I go with Amazon or look for other options?
I think there will be better deals than -$4 closer to release.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Black-Wind said:
I think there will be better deals than -$4 closer to release.

I think you're out of your mind.

Is the standalone M+ unit launching alongside WSR? Want to make sure we're good for some two-player action on day one.

Also, it would seem if Nintendo want to make things as easy as possible for new adopters they should start packing this thing in with the Wii or redesign the Wiimote so it includes M+ out of the box...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gary Whitta said:
Is the standalone M+ unit launching alongside WSR? Want to make sure we're good for some two-player action on day one.

Before, as far as I'm aware, along with Grand Slam Tennis.

pakkit

Banned
The standalone will be at the market on Tuesday with GST, Tiger Woods Wii, and Virtua Tennis 09.

Just don't expect to find one.

Plinko said:
I think you're out of your mind.
0_o

IDK, Im just going off of seeing alot of games get slashed down in price on Amazon close to release. I never use it so maybe I don't know something.:lol

Pre-ordered the standalone M+ from Amazon but if I were to pick up one of the game bundles this Tues, what's my best bet in terms of overall game quality and showing off the features of M+? Tiger 10, Grand Slam Tennis or VT09? I don't have any preference between golf and tennis.

EatChildren

JB HiFi have a pretty exploitable deal for M+.

Two games traded in for the AU$79 GST and M+ bundle. Just buy Mario Power Tennis and Trauma Centre: Second Opinion for $30 a pop at the same place, trade them in, and get the package for AU$60.

Then, if you can be fucked, resell GST without M+ for AU$50 - AU$60 and you get M+ for AU$10 to AU$0.

markatisu

Gary Whitta said:
Pre-ordered the standalone M+ from Amazon but if I were to pick up one of the game bundles this Tues, what's my best bet in terms of overall game quality and showing off the features of M+? Tiger 10, Grand Slam Tennis or VT09? I don't have any preference between golf and tennis.

Tiger 10 is the hands down best game of the three, its in its 4th update and is most likely the tightest M+ game outside WSR to be released.

markatisu said:
Tiger 10 is the hands down best game of the three, its in its 4th update and is most likely the tightest M+ game outside WSR to be released.
This is what I've been hearing but as a long-term Tiger franchise player on 360 it's gonna be so tough to deal with the massive downgrade in graphics and lack of online play. Hopefully the M+ gameplay is good enough to compensate...

EatChildren

Gary Whitta said:
This is what I've been hearing but as a long-term Tiger franchise player on 360 it's gonna be so tough to deal with the massive downgrade in graphics and lack of online play. Hopefully the M+ gameplay is good enough to compensate...

Tiger '10 on the Wii, as far as I'm aware, supports all the online capabilities of the X360 and PS3 versions (minus the accessibility and all that standard stuff).

Gary Whitta said:

I've read that it's one of if not THE best-playing golf game released, at least this generation. I can do with the graphics downgrade if that's the case.

Plus, disc golf *drools*

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
How on earth will they improve the bowling game?

Kinda odd they brought that one back but left out tennis.

Nabs

Gahiggidy said:

they might be setting up a mario tennis wii (and not the gc waggle version)

I would assume they didn't do tennis again because two of the first games to support Motion+ are big name tennis games that each respective company is betting a lot on.

BrandNew said:
I would assume they didn't do tennis again because two of the first games to support Motion+ are big name tennis games that each respective company is betting a lot on.
But what about Golf?

I agree with the Mario Tennis idea or atleast I hope it's what they are doing. Im sure Nintendo wants to strike another MK (and future NSMB2 ) sells wise game.

STG!

GOLF!

I hope there's a full 18 holes with this updated version of golf. So much fun. Now to try and get my buddies into it again... Not a favorite with my crew. :(

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Gahiggidy said:

Make it more reliable on actual spin you put on the Wiimote.

I don't think the spinning on Wii Sports had anything to do with how you spun the wiimote. It had to do with timing for the most part. I could be wrong, but if you released late then the ball dropped and went fairly straight as opposed to if you dropped it very quickly.

Just more accuracy, I think.

Top Bottom