• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Resort

1-D_FTW

birdchili said:
but is it precise?

Watch the 10 minute Nintendo video of the table tennis game. The woman (a pro?) was going to town on the Japanese guy playing her. Sure looked precise. He was doing the same swing over and over (and groaning after ever shot because he kept losing) and she was schooling his ass with all kinds of wicked spin shots.

d+pad

1-D_FTW said:
Watch the 10 minute Nintendo video of the table tennis game. The woman (a pro?) was going to town on the Japanese guy playing her. Sure looked precise. He was doing the same swing over and over (and groaning after ever shot because he kept losing) and she was schooling his ass with all kinds of wicked spin shots.

Can anyone provide a link to this vid?

scottnak

1-D_FTW said:
16yo pro pingpong player. An up and rising star apparently!

Ahh this looks good!

CaVaYeRo

I played it in a relaxed showroom last Tuesday (for me, much better than any event). I really liked table tennis and swordplay. And I think game is great to notice the evolution from Wiimote, this should've been out along with tiger and GST, but I also recommend those two to really understand the complete offer.

Anyway, this is a great explanation/introduction, and that is missing in GST/VT.

I'll post some videos and impressions (in Spanish) later. And shoot any Q you have!

Haunted

Table Tennis looks fantastic. 5th game on the system finally getting it right?

They slowed the pace down (obviously), but the way the rackets move in the player's hands alone makes me giddy to try it for myself. There were some very nice slice vs topspin drives in that video.

Planned originally to try out M+ with WSR, but ended up picking up Tiger Woods 10 to have a taste of it.

M+ is amazing, I had my doubts at first, but it's incredibly accurate.

WSR is on pre-order, the WaveRace game is the one I'm most excited about.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The Main Event said:
WSR is on pre-order, the WaveRace game is the one I'm most excited about.

Speaking of it, I still don't quite understand how the jetski and bicycle games are supposed to work properly. You have to use both the WM+ and the nunchuck to play them, but obviously only the Wiimote is more accurate with the MotionPlus. The nunchuck still is a plain accelerometer... Maybe there's some clever trickery at play to give you the impression that both work as accurately?

Kilrogg said:
Speaking of it, I still don't quite understand how the jetski and bicycle games are supposed to work properly. You have to use both the WM+ and the nunchuck to play them, but obviously only the Wiimote is more accurate with the MotionPlus. The nunchuck still is a plain accelerometer... Maybe there's some clever trickery at play to give you the impression that both work as accurately?

Dunno about bicycle, but I thought I remembered them saying that the jetski's speed was controlled by twisting the WiiMote. If that's so, that's the motion that requires M+; the actual steering would be normal accelerometer motions, which the Nunchaku can of course do almost as well as the WiiMote.

Dreamwriter said:
Dunno about bicycle, but I thought I remembered them saying that the jetski's speed was controlled by twisting the WiiMote. If that's so, that's the motion that requires M+; the actual steering would be normal accelerometer motions, which the Nunchaku can of course do almost as well as the WiiMote.

I don't see how it needs the M+ to be able to detect a twist though. Some games already controls like that.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wii Sports on steroids. I can dig it.

Basketball, sword fighting, and ping pong will be the games I'm looking most forward to.

Somnid

FoxHimself said:
I don't see how it needs the M+ to be able to detect a twist though. Some games already controls like that.

Because it's using gravity to detect that angle in non-M+ games if you turn it at any speed other than very slowly it loses track of itself.

dkeane

I want this game so bad. I want know how bowling feels, it was my favorite Wii Sports game so I'm wondering how Motion+ changes it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The sword fighting professional video is hilarious. The two guys get so into it.

Eteric Rice

Hopefully this gets WiiMotion + to take off.

Maybe someone will use it for more core oriented games. :O

So want this, though. Sword fighting and jet ski for the motherfuckin' win!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eteric Rice said:
Maybe someone will use it for more core oriented games. :O

Red Steel 2 is getting a bundle, which will hopefully go well (assuming the game isn't trash).

Tenbatsu

I like the idea that all the sports are on a resort island. Wonder if we can use the Wiiremote to 'jog' from sports to sports like in WiiFit.

EatChildren said:
Red Steel 2 is getting a bundle, which will hopefully go well (assuming the game isn't trash).
From what I hear they need to up-turn the table on the Sword fighting . . . laggy and not 1:1 as well as being pretty simple when it comes to blocking. People seem much more impressed with WSR sword play.

Yagharek

This game is seemingly critic-proof. If those promo vids are anything to go by, you would have to be a chronic pessimist to not enjoy these games (at least the vids Ive seen so far).

I thought canoeing would be ridiculous. It kind of is, but it looks like it works extremely well. Table Tennis looks remarkably accurate. Fingers crossed the airplane and jet ski modes work as well as these ones do.

I wonder if nintendo will start offering this as a pack-in game with Wii systems and motion+ after a while? It seems that it superceded Wii Sports in every way imaginable.

EatChildren

Black-Wind said:
From what I hear they need to up-turn the table on the Sword fighting . . . laggy and not 1:1 as well as being pretty simple when it comes to blocking. People seem much more impressed with WSR sword play.

I don't think it needs to be 1:1 like Sports Resort, but if they can fix the lag it should be ok. Their problem probably comes from building the game initially for the standard Wii remote, then overhauling it for M+.

EatChildren said:
I don't think it needs to be 1:1 like Sports Resort, but if they can fix the lag it should be ok. Their problem probably comes from building the game initially for the standard Wii remote, then overhauling it for M+.
From the looks of it the slashes go across the whole screen which I feel limits the control you have compared to WSR. Same thing with the blocking, from the looks (and sounds coming from the E3 impressions) of it you simply block a downward attack by holding the Wiimote side ways and the other way around for a side attack.

Seems like people think that gets real repetitive real fast.

birdchili

Nintendo went out and got pro sports impressions.
Quote:
Darius Knight, Table Tennis Professional: "...map my movements precisely..."

Wesley Haeke, Kendo Champion: "...had to hold the controller exactly as I would a Shinai to get the precision I wanted ...precision..."

Melissa Reid, Professional Golfer: "I expected precision from the Wii MotionPlus, but I didn't expect this!"

Danilo Gallinari, Pro Basketball Player: "...demands precision..."

Gema Buitron, Archery Champion: "...precision was remarkable..."
right then.

vehn

so is it possible to just buy the game without the M+? i already have it from TW10, and the only SKU's I'm seeing is the 49.99 one with M+ packaged in alreayd

donny2112

vehn said:
only have 1 wii remote >.<

1. Buy Wii Play (pool simulation, Duck Hunt/Target Practice, Tanks).
2. Buy Wii Sports Resort w/Motion+.
3. Invite someone over to play Table Tennis (or you can just play both sides of the table).

:)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Black-Wind said:
From the looks of it the slashes go across the whole screen which I feel limits the control you have compared to WSR. Same thing with the blocking, from the looks (and sounds coming from the E3 impressions) of it you simply block a downward attack by holding the Wiimote side ways and the other way around for a side attack.

Seems like people think that gets real repetitive real fast.

As I said some time ago, it basically looks like an FPS version of Dragon Quest Swords, except you can more precisely decide which way the sword slash should go. Basically, it's crap with a gimmicky use of the controller and crude aesthetics. At least DQS had Toriyama!

Of course, this is all based on the videos I saw, but I dont think GAFfers like Anihawk would strongly disagree based on their hands-on impressions. It seems like Ubisoft chose to make a cool-looking game instead of a good game. They don't get it. It doesn't even look that cool in my opinion, but it sure feels like it's trying to!

Kilrogg said:
As I said some time ago, it basically looks like an FPS version of Dragon Quest Swords, except you can more precisely decide which way the sword slash should go. Basically, it's crap with a gimmicky use of the controller and crude aesthetics. At least DQS had Toriyama!

Of course, this is all based on the videos I saw, but I dont think GAFfers like Anihawk would strongly disagree based on their hands-on impressions. It seems like Ubisoft chose to make a cool-looking game instead of a good game. They don't get it. It doesn't even look that cool in my opinion, but it sure feels like it's trying to!

I hope its not another MadWorld (. . . LOOKS cool . . . has a interesting hook to it . . . but gameplay wise it's just not that interesting of a game when the shock wears off and gets repititive real fast). They still have some time to fix the lag and make it like WSR sword fighting where it seems to be based on skill and not "M+ just replaces buttons! Hold it this way and it will block any downward attack!" so all hope isn't lost.

But yes, this is just one of those cases where I feel like I WANT the game to be good even if it's leaning the other way >_>. If Wii Sports has shown me anything it's that even if Nintendo hands devs the perfect formula to using their product (YAY! You can now making better motion controled games that DON'T just use motion to replace buttons! Look at WRS!!!!!!) people will still find a way to look past it and get all up "!?!?" when shit hits the fan (HEY! Lets add like so-and-so number of different sword slashes, auto block and a speed/ power rating system! It's laggy and it's not 1:1 but we can blame that on Nintendo like last time we said RS was 1:1!).

Tenbatsu

c20090620_whf2_06_cs1w1_640x480.jpg

Cheez-It

I'm getting the giddy anticipation feeling from this game that I got from the Orange Box and Super Mario Galaxy. Looks awesome.

EatChildren

Just watched the Archery vid.

Holy crap it looks so much fun. They need to have archery in Zelda Wii like this. A slow, methodical archery based boss fight. AH!

Frisbee®
Wow. I wonder why they didn't go with a generic disc. Unless Frisbee was the one who really wanted to be a minor part of WSR rather than the other way around.
Gahiggidy said:
How on earth will they improve the bowling game?
By making it actually more responsive to how you swing? Rather than it always wanting to curve towards the center, for instance.
Kinda odd they brought that one back but left out tennis.
I suppose table tennis is its substitute. I can understand why they'd leave out Boxing; unless they wanted to require two remotes with MotionPlus, having one hand with fancy MotionPlus movement and one hand with nunchuk movement would be silly. That leaves Baseball, which probably would work pretty well with MotionPlus.

Top Bottom