• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan

Orayn

Underpowered device is underpowered.

It's basically gonna be a box to play HD nintendo games and thats pretty much it.

makes me really question that Zelda tech demo we saw.

I only question how plain and drab the Zelda tech demo will look compared to Zelda U. :)

Well, I guess I also question whether or not Nintendo will reverse some of the design trends that reached problematic levels with Skyward Sword. (Pacing, layout, filler, and tutorial issues not the controls.)

He's not banned, his name is just gray and he has a joke tag, like Wario64.

I know this might sound blasphemous, but I personally think drinky's banned tag should be abandoned, as I think it's run his course. I can no longer even tell anymore who actually is falling for it, and who is facetiously just going "lol, that ban sure was quick" to show off that they're in on the joke.

But that's just me.

dani_dc

I had been wishing for a Wiimote 2.0 that would work something like this prior to the GamePad rumors taking shape.

http://i.imgur.com/fNiJJ.png

The hardware is a lesser concern, as I remember resigning myself to "in line with 360/PS3 or maybe a little better" months before E3, desite my optimistic side running away with my common sense after the announcement. I also speculated about something resembling Miiverse, and Nintendo using social gaming as a selling point... Wow. Just now realizing how much of it I got right.

I was hoping for this as well and when the gamepad was rumored I was hoping that the sticks/buttons sections of the Gamepad were actually two detachable Wiimote 2.0.

Though I knew there was no chance this would happen.

It's basically gonna be a box to play HD nintendo games and thats pretty much it.

Those tech demos are realistically what we could expect on this generation. Nothing mindblowing now. The Zelda one looked awesome for Zelda in HD but not really good. Not sure why you would doubt the WU's capability to output that.

Launch games vs. EOL games for current platforms? Great comparison.

Yes, it's very common for newer -- purportedly better in at least a marginal capacity -- hardware to struggle to keep up with tech from seven years ago. I don't know why people are skeptical in light of the common understanding that it takes a while for new tech to be understood. I'm sure it was just that third parties haven't had enough time. This can be evidenced by the great stuff that first parties have shown now in the eighteen months since the console has been unveiled.

cRIPticon

Yes, it's very common for newer -- purportedly better in at least a marginal capacity -- hardware to struggle to keep up with tech from seven years ago. I don't know why people are skeptical in light of the common understanding that it takes a while for new tech to be understood. I'm sure it was just that third parties haven't had enough time. This can be evidenced by the great stuff that first parties have shown now in the eighteen months since the console has been unveiled.

oh_you.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
We really don't know how much has or hasn't been changed. Even Broadway featured some architectural updates over Gekko, though no changes large enough to break GC compatibility.

You sure about that? I thought broadway was literally the GC chip overclocked with no structural changes or additional functionality?

You there! Put a freacking sarcasm spolier.

You are way to smart and rational to post the above atrocity.
Edit that spoiler there now please :D
So I'm a fool for wanting a new snes? Lol

Just Ebay one, i would happily sale you mine but shipping costs are tooo high.

So then why release a console that's handeling current ports "just fine" when the next generation of pS3/360 consoles are due to come out. It sounds like last gen all over again.

It does, indeed. My post was meant to relay disappointment, not support, for Nintendo's decisions. It's obvious now, post-launch, that they and I disagree strongly on what is needed to "win back 'core' gamers", something they claim to want to do.

Either that, or they don't in fact want to do so, which I suspect is more likely. I've often got the impression that Nintendo resents the adult gaming community and thinks that, if their audience was only children, that there would be no criticism.

warerare

I wonder how many of these people would complain that the price was £500 and they would rather wait for the 720 or PS4 at that price. I think most Nintendo fans are just looking forward to the good times ahead and aren't really worried about the specs. Lets see how Mario Universe and the next Zelda look before we complain. Nintendo are never going to compete on specs ever again, best get used to it.

No problems there then Thunder, thanks to Nintendo fantastic hardware choices maybe before the WiiU life cycle comes to a close you'll see idevices that surpasses it's processing abilities. :D
This is funny.

Though not realistic. I can say with certainty that while the idevices won't be anywhere close to the capability of WiiU even in five years, the fact that the hardware is iterated on in a yearly basis means they will soon have much more modern parts, though their floppage probably still won't be close.

Matt

Speculation and asumptions? No cRIPticon, they are based on facts. Look at the ported software running worse than a 7 year old console.

Now the bar has been moved back, instead of more powerful than 360/PS3 the defence strives to prove that at least on equal grounds of performance to ancient hardware.

Save for the most fervent of Nintendo aficionados, there's not really much compeiling reasons to own the console. Let's hope this changes in the future.

There is still value to the discussion. No launch software was made on fully functional SDKs.

RaijinFY

I wonder how many of these people would complain that the price was £500 and they would rather wait for the 720 or PS4 at that price. I think most Nintendo fans are just looking forward to the good times ahead and aren't really worried about the specs. Lets see how Mario Universe and the next Zelda look before we complain. Nintendo are never going to compete on specs ever again, best get used to it.

Did they announce when the next Zelda is scheduled?

It doesnt for me. With that CPU its rocking AC3 just as well as the other consoles. We all know its rushed ports with an un-optimized launch console.

Also it has a much better GPU than current system and more ram.

Xellos

The CPU being underpowered was kind of expected at this point, considering all the rumors and developer comments. There was an anonymous developer comment months ago at CVG about not needing "sophisticated physics" for Mario, and that seems to be the console in a nutshell.

How does Assassins creed 3 on wii u compare to the other console versions? It seems pretty cpu heavy. I mean, they could never pull that off on ps3 and 360 during their respective launch windows, so i doubt the wii u is that weak if its capable of matching the "best" of this gen in its launch window. Sure, it might not be the increase people were hoping for, but who honestly imagined wii u being the best console for multiplats next gen? It was always going do its own thing, with 720 and ps4 being the go to guys for most of the mainstream games. A little extra hardware power isnt gonna change that. Might not be the best move for nintendo themselves if they wanted a piece of that pie, but thats not really our problem, we get nintendo titles no matter what.

AC3 runs OK on Wii U but not as well as on PS3. It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable.

Meelow

Banned
The CPU being underpowered was kind of expected at this point, considering all the rumors and developer comments. There was an anonymous developer comment months ago at CVGabout not needing "sophisticated physics" for Mario, and that seems to be the console in a nutshell.

AC3 runs OK on Wii U but not as well as on PS3. It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable.

Isn't it running bad on the PS3 or am I wrong?

beril

All this outrage over the specs is a bit bit silly. It's understandable that people are a bit dissapointed if their expectations were really high. I just see it as a reality check. There's limits to how much tech they can put in at that price point.

They want a low price, they want the fancy controller and the yen situation is killing them. I could afford to pay more for a more powerful console, but the price is important to reach a large market. They're taking a small loss on every sold so we can't really fault them for the price, even if some companies have taken bigger losses in the past. While it may not be much more powerful than 6-7 year hardware, it's also not much more expensive than said hardware is right now, and comes with more features and a massive screen on the controller.

Personally I'm intrigued by the concept of playing on the gamepad in bed. There are some features I don't care about they could have skipped to spend more money on the specs; I don't really care about the cameras or the NFC, I don't care about wifi, heck I don't even care about bluetooth; give me wired controllers any day. But some people want those features and together they stack up.

No matter how many wikipedia pages I read about cpu tech or memory bandwidth, I'm pretty sure nintendo's hardware team knows a lot more about building hardware than I ever will. They have a history of building nicely balanced, reliable systems, and their hardware is pretty nice to develop for. 3DS is the only one I've used official SDKs for but I've done some homebrew for Wii, GBA & GB back in the day. Maybe reusing flipper in the Wii was somewhat of a mistake. I think they underestimated the importance of programmable shaders; if they had gone for a more modern architecture for similiar cost they could probably have gotten closer to 360/PS3 graphics, though maybe not performed as well the wii did in other areas. But other than that they have a very good track record.

Even if some numbers look weird compared to the competition I expect it to be a nicely balanced system, and about as powerful as it's fair to expect given the price and the features.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Off-Topic/

Code:
<a class="bigusername" href="member.php?u=894"><span style="color: #a6a6a6">Drinky Crow</span></a>
I think this could be improved by adding a speific class to the style-sheet for posters like Drinky....
Code:
<a class="bigusername banned" href="member.php?u=894">Drinky Crow</a>

Log4Girlz

All this outrage over the specs is a bit bit silly. It's understandable that people are a bit dissapointed if their expectations were really high. I just see it as a reality check. There's limits to how much tech they can put in at that price point.

They want a low price, they want the fancy controller and the yen situation is killing them. I could afford to pay more for a more powerful console, but the price is important to reach a large market. They're taking a small loss on every sold so we can't really fault them for the price, even if some companies have taken bigger losses in the past. While it may not be much more powerful than 6-7 year hardware, it's also not much more expensive than said hardware is right now, and comes with more features and a massive screen on the controller.

Personally I'm intrigued by the concept of playing on the gamepad in bed. There are some features I don't care about they could have skipped to spend more money on the specs; I don't really care about the cameras or the NFC, I don't care about wifi, heck I don't even care about bluetooth; give me wired controllers any day. But some people want those features and together they stack up.

No matter how many wikipedia pages I read about cpu tech or memory bandwidth, I'm pretty sure nintendo's hardware team knows a lot more about building hardware than I ever will. They have a history of building nicely balanced, reliable systems, and their hardware is pretty nice to develop for. 3DS is the only one I've used official SDKs for but I've done some homebrew for Wii, GBA & GB back in the day. Maybe reusing flipper in the Wii was somewhat of a mistake. I think they underestimated the importance of programmable shaders; if they had gone for a more modern architecture for similiar cost they could probably have gotten closer to 360/PS3 graphics, though maybe not performed as well the wii did in other areas. But other than that they have a very good track record.

Even if some numbers look weird compared to the competition I expect it to be a nicely balanced system, and about as powerful as it's fair to expect given the price and the features.

Its not silly. I lived with shit hardware with the wii and now nintendo is serving a second helping of shit hardware. I've had my fill of shit nintendo.

Teletraan1

Banned
This console sounds like it was developed by that person who wanted to stuff it in a backpack with some sort of power supply to play off the gamepad on the train. The scrimping for power footprint seems extreme. Double the power draw and nobody would have complained.

And if any of these decisions were for BC then I am glad that the other console manufacturers might be breaking free of that. Its even more maddening to think that the only previous gen console that can be software emulated got some form of hardware BC while the others will not. Nintendo could have put together an emulator with their knowledge of the Wii and GC that would have kicked the shit out of Dolphin performance wise @480p on whatever modern CPU they could have put in this console.

JordanN

Banned

People like to talk about Zelda but any possible thought the Wii U may have already surpassed it?
(500,000 polygon temple, 8,000 polygon Link, 12,000 polygons Gohma thing)

Pikmin Adventure (800,000 polygon level including gamepad, 30,000 polygons in characters and enemies on screen).

Those are estimates by the way.

BlackJace

So, does everyone expect EVERY 3rd party title that gets released on the Durango and Orbis to be a graphical masterpiece with eye-bleeding effects and super-sophisticated physics and AI?

I mean, we've seen how great the PS3 and 360 are in terms of visuals, but the thing is that not every title is indicative of either console's strength. We still see shitty looking titles, quite frequently actually.

To say that not a single, un-gimped port of any content on Durango and Orbis will be possible on the Wii U is kinda stretching it, no?

Its not silly. I lived with shit hardware with the wii and now nintendo is serving a second helping of shit hardware. I've had my fill of shit nintendo.

Wii was their most successful console. It's only logical that they would follow the same strategy again. This shouldn't be a surprise.

Pikmin Adventure (800,000 polygon level including gamepad, 30,000 polygons in characters and enemies on screen).

Yeah, no shit. That is a huge understatement.

jackal27

Banned
So I'm a fool for wanting a new snes? Lol

No way. I would freaking LOVE a new SNES. However, expecting an end-all be-all console is kind of ridiculous. Consoles will always be different from each other and some will be weaker than the rest on the market leading to different games. See: Genesis, Game Boy, NES, Playstation, PS2, DS, etc. compared to their contemporaries.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
People like to talk about Zelda but any possible thought the Wii U may have already surpassed it?

Where you get those numbers from mane?

JordanN

Banned
Where you get those numbers from mang.
Apart from being outdated, I was making a joke about the Zelda demo (since it wasn't impressive, would Nintendoland be any better?).

I've checked polycounts of characters and environments before and so those "numbers" were a result of cross estimates (Link being 8,000 polygons in the demo is actually very close to his Twilight Princess number which was around 6,000). When I played Nintendoland, it had a "PS3/360" feel to it so I assumed it was in the 500,000 range (and the gamepad acted as a separate render).

In reality though, this was a bad guess. The game mostly appears to be built out of Wii assets repeated all over and the environments are mostly sparse being simple primitives.

Now that's experience.

Original linked post:
Lgbo9bf.png

Top Bottom