• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan

Its a pretty unfair comparison really. Xbox 360 has been out since 2005. Devs have had years to learn, optimize and squeeze every bit of juice out of the hardware. The same cant be said about Wii U. You cant measure what hardware can do with launch titles and rushed ports.
This is Smithsonian preservation material level. I'll have this carved in glass and glued to my monitor so i should never forget. The stuff of legends!

gryz

Banned
Eh, I'm of course being mildly facetious. However, it's just hard to take seriously people the argument that it's unfair to compare a game developed this year on hardware released this year with a game developed this year on hardware released seven years ago when the conclusion is that it's unfair to the former, and not the latter.

there is a learning curve when transitioning to developing on new hardware. I'm currently porting code between different hardware platforms at work, it isn't simply a cut and paste job from one platform to another, its a pain in the ass and it takes a lot of work. the source platform is much "older" and it's still a pain in the ass. it took me some time to learn how to program on this new hardware compared to what I had been working on for the past 5 years.

JordanN

Banned
As KageMaru accused me of not calling out fellow Nintendo fans, I'm going to do it now: please stop, for your own sake.

Even if you enjoy estimating poly counts or something, you can't seriously expect anyone to take numbers pulled from thin air seriously. And how could they prove you wrong if you most definitely can't prove yourself right?
Why do you think it's called an estimate? If someone takes it seriously that's their problem, not mine.

And I can most certainly prove myself right...

Hahaha, LOL. Ok, can you post the wireframe version of the zelda image?
Uh, why would I do that?

This is Smithsonian preservation material level. I'll haver this carved in glass an glued to my monitor so i should never forget. The stuff of legends.

So why not dispute what hes saying then? I've been flying through the pages and I haven't seen you do much but call out people that disagree with you.

Just so you know, there are more examples of how he is right than you are right. All you have to do is look at the first console released in every gen

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

BrettHD

Banned
You know the specs, you act like its a huge surprise that Wii U isnt cutting edge.

We all know this.

Moving the goalposts ? First its unfair to compare the Wii U to an old console,
now your admitting its not cutting edge after all ?
Btw I am not really surprised by the weak Wii U tech - check my post history, I consider the Wii U a part of the same gen as 360/ps3.
I am pretty surprised that the cpu is this weak however.

This is why the cpu in the Wii U is such a letdown - watch the Wii U chug along:

Wii U end of first mission of Black Ops 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd74NJG9YiU&feature=plcp

Xbox 360 end of same mission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NEp_r7Ilus&feature=plcp

WTF??? O_O

Jesus. That is TERRIBLE. I've never seen such a slowdown even on first generation PS3 ports. At least not in games from big companies. I guess this cannot be explained simply by 'different hardware' like it used to be with PS3 vs. 360.

I think you're underestimating the full extent of those that purchased a Wii. Nintendo named this system the Wii U for a specific reason. Forgetting these niche audiences that currently own a Wii, and will probably hear about the "Wii U upgrade" is ignoring a large potential of future sales.

"Underpowered" is also a completely subjective term for those that play 2D Mario, Scribblenauts and NintendoLand and are content doing so. Just because it doesn't measure up to the anticipated next-gen systems doesn't mean a market doesn't exist for Nintendo HD gaming via a tablet controller.
You are not doing a good job countering my arguments.

Of course there's a market for this thing. Hell, if being cautios enough, Nintendo could live out of it's a quite big and loyal user base. But that's not the issue here.

Did you forgot that the GameCube was a profitable venture for Nintendo? The point is the company can do much better and they will fall below the success the Wii had, at least most certainly in america.

there is a learning curve when transitioning to developing on new hardware. I'm currently porting code between different hardware platforms at work, it isn't simply a cut and paste job from one platform to another, its a pain in the ass and it takes a lot of work. the source platform is much "older" and it's still a pain in the ass. it took me some time to learn how to program on this new hardware compared to what I had been working on for the past 5 years.

I know that there's a learning curve. However, do you understand that in the world of video game development, the traditional expectation is that games on newer hardware will look better than games on older hardware? I get that Nintendo didn't go for a powerhouse here. However, for a while there was an expectation that techwise one should expect it to be on par if not a little better than the competition, and nothing -- be it first or third party -- reflects that.

And it's odd that people are pointing towards launch software mediocrity as something that's completely standard for new hardware -- that it's never expected to best the hardware of yesteryear that everyone is used to.

If you compare Perfect Dark 0 to Halo 4, the point is valid.
Two separate teams, with at one point alien hardware, versus hardware that has limitations but runs the engines themselves at a degree of parity are two different things.

There isn't the same degree of mystery in effectively using WiiU that there was effectively using the 360 at launch.

We were talking about entire development pipelines being reworked versus something similar but esoteric in it's own way.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Perhaps this CPU has a variable clock-rate? And when marcan did his test it was running at one of the lower settings.

Not sure. Educate me.

I know that there's a learning curve. However, do you understand that in the world of video game development, the traditional expectation is that games on newer hardware will look better than games on older hardware? I get that Nintendo didn't go for a powerhouse here. However, for a while there was an expectation that techwise one should expect it to be on par if not a little better than the competition, and nothing -- be it first or third party -- reflects that.

And it's odd that people are pointing towards launch software mediocrity as something that's completely standard for new hardware -- that it's never expected to best the hardware of yesteryear that everyone is used to.

It is not always true, just remember Metal Gear Solid 2 Xbox version... :(

But I wonder if the Xbox 360 version is installed on the HDD.

It is irrelevant.

Matt

Ok Matt, but you judge results not potential.

By that logic, we really have no reason to think that the 720 and PS4 will be any more powerful then the Wii U. If we can only form thoughts based on results.

I'll be honest and say I am very disappointed by the U, and have been for a while (though keeping my mouth mostly shut). But as a simple statement of fact, no, we have not yet seen what the hardware can do when actually fully accessible to devs. Basic aspects of it were locked out. We'll see in the future how it affects things. Maybe it'll have a substantial difference, maybe a small one.

Why do you think it's called an estimate? If someone takes it seriously that's their problem, not mine.

And I can most certainly prove myself right...

Uh, why would I do that?

Can you tell me how many polygons are in this image?

468px-Polygon_Man2.jpg

I am curious of the process.

Perkel

Banned
People like to talk about Zelda but any possible thought the Wii U may have already surpassed it?

(500,000 polygon temple, 8,000 polygon Link, 12,000 polygons Gohma thing)

Pikmin Adventure (800,000 polygon level including gamepad, 30,000 polygons in characters and enemies on screen).

Those are estimates by the way.

As you said. Days we counted polygons are now long gone. Right now problem are shaders and FX not polycount and 1 mln poly @ screen is not that much by today standards. GT5 could easly render over 1mln poly any time.

Right now problem is with FX and shadows. SSAO on bigger scale can easly rape any modern hightier GFX card add other effects like indirect lightning and many many many other effects UE4, CE3 is pushing and polycount is least of problems. It would be problem if we would not discover normal maps and bump maping.

lherre

Accurate
By that logic, we really have no reason to think that the 720 and PS4 will be any more powerful then the Wii U. If we can only form thoughts based on results.

I'll be honest and say I am very disappointed by the U, and have been for a while (though keeping my mouth mostly shut). But as a simple statement of fact, no, we have not yet seen what the hardware can do when actually fully accessible to devs. Basic aspects of it were locked out. We'll see in the future how it effets things. Maybe it'll have a substantial difference, maybe a small one.

Nice hint !! (you just added more fire to the thread)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
meh... I still contend Super Mario U will look clearly better than any platform made for Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Seeing new games on Wii was usually a letdown because they looked only marginally better than thier last installments on GameCube. Wii U games will look a generation and beyond anything seen on Wii. I mean, if you consider Wii Sports and Nintendoland to be in the same series (mii character games), than its more like two generations better.

Gahiggidy

I'll be honest and say I am very disappointed by the U, and have been for a while (though keeping my mouth mostly shut). But as a simple statement of fact, no, we have not yet seen what the hardware can do when actually fully accessible to devs. Basic aspects of it were locked out. We'll see in the future how it affects things. Maybe it'll have a substantial difference, maybe a small one.

What were your expectations?

There isn't the same degree of mystery in effectively using WiiU that there was effectively using the 360 at launch.

I disagree. No matter how standard the design might be on paper, it will always take time for developers to realise all of the potential.

If Rare could 're-make' Perfect Dark 0 today, you can bet it would look and perform substantially better. Same team, much more familiar with the hardware.

So why not dispute what hes saying then? I've been flying through the pages and I haven't seen you do much but call out people that disagree with you.

Just so you know, there are more examples of how he is right than you are right. All you have to do is look at the first console released in every gen
Theres no point to argue directly with him since his agenda is pretty clear, hes not being rational at all.

About the second paragraph on your post, answer me this will you judge the jump from hardware available since 2005 to the WiiU as equal to the followings:
Jump from say an Atari 2600 to a NES. From a NES to an Genesis. From a SNES to a PSX. From a N64 to a DreamCAst. From a PS2 to a 360.

What is there to argue Rush2thestart? Judging the console in a vacumm where there isn't any progresion processing power wise for 7 years? I can't believe we are even debating this.

And like i already said, i have no problems with Nintendo taking this route, i have problems with their overall strategy more than anything else.

Raide

So, the CPU is slow but the GPU + some good coding should make the lack of CPU horsepower irrelevant then? I am sure the ports will get parity, maybe even improving, plus Nintendo are bound to push all their cash into their own projects but I still don't see them really pushing graphics. A third party will do that for them no doubt.

MarkusRJR

Just saw this thread. Sucks that the Wii U is not that capable, but I don't think it really matters to me personally. I bought the Wii U because I wanted HD first party games. I don't really give a shit about third party games.

moonbox

Banned
The game wasnt installed - its running off the the dvd.
The video was recorded by my stepson.

If that's true, then I wonder how it would perform if run on the Wii U's internal storage medium, rather than disc. I know that with a lot of 360 games they cache large chunks of data in the HDD for quick retrieval. I wonder if BLOPS 2 for Wii U simply hasn't been optimised to fully utilise the functionality of the console itself. It may all just be 'streaming' from the disc. If so, the game's pretty impressive.

JordanN

Banned
As you said. Days we counted polygons are now long gone.
I didn't say that.

Perkel said:
Right now problem are shaders and FX not polycount and 1 mln poly @ screen is not that much by today standards. GT5 could easly render over 1mln poly any time.
In whole levels sure. But for actual individual objects? No way.

Perkel said:
Right now problem is with FX and shadows. SSAO on bigger scale can easly rape any modern hightier GFX card add other effects like indirect lightning and many many many other effects UE4, CE3 is pushing and polycount is least of problems. It would be problem if we would not discover normal maps and bump maping.
Ok...? I don't see what this has to do with me.

So, the CPU is slow but the GPU + some good coding should make the lack of CPU horsepower irrelevant then? I am sure the ports will get parity, maybe even improving, plus Nintendo are bound to push all their cash into their own projects but I still don't see them really pushing graphics. A third party will do that for them no doubt.

It is not as easy as this.

Why some people are thinking that "GPGPU" is something "magical"?

If that's true, then I wonder how it would perform if run on the Wii U's internal storage medium, rather than disc. I know that with a lot of 360 games they cache large chunks of data in the HDD for quick retrieval. I wonder if BLOPS 2 for Wii U simply hasn't been optimised to fully utilise the functionality of the console itself. It may all just be 'streaming' from the disc. If so, the game's pretty impressive.

Installation is irrelevant, it help in loading times only, not game performance.

Nice hint !! (you just added more fire to the thread)
Actually..sounds like its calling for a new thread. Lol. But do you even agree with that particular "hint" Lherre? People have been using your words for proving how "beast" those results will/should be.

Moving the goalposts ? First its unfair to compare the Wii U to an old console,
now your admitting its not cutting edge after all ?
Btw I am not really surprised by the weak Wii U tech - check my post history, I consider the Wii U a part of the same gen as 360/ps3.
I am pretty surprised that the cpu is this weak however.

When did I say its unfair to compare to old consoles with hardware? I was talking about software and devs experience. We all knew Wii U wont be cutting edge, its better than current consoles but its not going to match what PS4/720 is going to be doing under the hood. We all know this.

Wii U isnt part of the same gen as 360/PS3.

CPU isnt as weak as you think, have you read anything that marcan has said?

Raide

It is not as easy as this.

Why some people are thinking that "GPGPU" is something "magical"?

I am still amazed at some of the stuff the 360 comes out with when developers really learn its tricks. I am sure the Wii-U will be no different. I doubt Nintendo will be the ones to do it but someone is bound to do some stunning stuff.

I am sure the GPGPU will be more than capable for those that dedicate enough time to learn to code it. Same as the 360 and PS3. Some developers just put in way more effort than others.

When did I say its unfair to compare to old consoles with hardware? I was talking about software and devs experience. We all knew Wii U wont be cutting edge, its better than current consoles but its not going to match what PS4/720 is going to be doing under the hood. We all know this.

Wii U isnt part of the same gen as 360/PS3.

CPU isnt as weak as you think, have you read anything that marcan has said?

As some B3D user said to me, what Marcam said is "since you can't compare the two by their clock speeds alone you can't use clock speed to claim that it's much worse."

Ploid 3.0

So dolphin 2, though what kind of pc drive would be needed to play Wii U games? I never did get Dolphin working well on my PC, tried one wii game and it seem like I couldn't run it from the disk but had to do something extra.

I disagree. No matter how standard the design might be on paper, it will always take time for developers to realise all of the potential.

If Rare could 're-make' Perfect Dark 0 today, you can bet it would look and perform substantially better. Same team, much more familiar with the hardware.

Yes, but you have to admit it's more than a little disingenuous to assert that games made under a separate set of constraints are in any way applicable to the WiiU situation. You'll see improvements as developers gain insight into the strengths and foibles of any specific hardware design, but the differences between PD0 and Halo 4 are in no way comparable to the mechanical differences in designing first gen WiiU titles and fifth gen WiiU titles.

You're still working under the same toolchains. Just going about them in different ways. Versus throwing out the old rulebook and starting from scratch.

JordanN

Banned
Do it then.

A polygon mesh is pretty self explanatory.

Low poly (hey, even the numbers are there)
lowpoly.png

High poly (and yes I'm aware there's tessellation also going on)
QIcrG.jpg

PSP
"Some simple numbers underline that fact: Resistance Retribution pushed some 50,000 polygons per frame, whereas Golden Abyss is throwing around 260,000."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-uncharted-golden-abyss-preview-preview

N64
The site is currently not working but the cache saves the figures (i.e 1980 polygons in Pokemon Stadium 2).
3dmarth.vndv.com/polygonchart.html

Top Bottom