• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not denying that it's better than Wii, but how I was viewing (perhaps naively) UE4 before this was like so:

"Wii U will be able support UE4 and there will be a "Generate Wii U package" button in the Unreal Editor but it will obviously not be using all of UE4's features".

Now it's

"Wii U can support UE4 features, cut down, but hey, you need to write your own Wii U package generation code and support".

The latter is FAR worse than the former. Overall though I will admit that it's a net positive compared to Wii because with Wii, it was much harder to use UE.
Well, to be fair I think Epic is playing a game.

They're trying to force PS4 and X720 to go higher (higher being as high as they can get) and they're running out of time, these next gen platforms have 1 year and a half, tops, to come out and most hardware decisions have to be planned a full year before the console comes out. That gives them 6 months at most.

On top of it silicon for it should be ready more than 6 months in advance; 6 months being mentioned because it was the time before X360 launch they managed to tape out the GPU, which was really close; had it failed they'd miss their Q4 2005 launch (but perhaps they could have avoided the RRoD saga if they didn't rush it to market). Anyway, it basically means I highly doubt any manufacturer will risk missing a Q4 2013 launch, another RRoD fiasco or loosing massive money on hardware sold at launch.

That leaves Epic stranded for time.

They're not the people we want to have leading this industry, as their market vision is just bigger, stronger and faster even if it leaves manufacturers and developers in the red (by increasing manufacturing cost past profitability and increasing average development costs again), but they're not exactly stupid, and I'll explain:

I'll bet that if current ballpark specs we have for X720 and PS4 stay that way (and that is 1.8 TFlops tops) the Wii U will probably get it's support; but they're clearly praying for that not to be the case and such platforms to go after top Nvidia Kepler performance (3 TFlops) where they were running Unreal 3.9 Samaritan demo and Unreal 4.

Not making it easy on the Wii U is their only way of not admiting defeat/not making it so obvious that they can relent and still playing their card as a cautionary tale (of their support not being a given); it's also a trade, if Microsoft and Sony go for it they'll leave Nintendo out of their supported client list for this product (and give it bad PR) which of course interests the other manufacturers considering the Wii was market leader this gen, it's like a silent agreement in the works that they'll gladly play on these poor companies.

It all adds up (I'm not trying to build a conspiracy theory).

Really the best thing i can say is if you want to learn about gpgpu stuff and understand what I am saying read the wiiu gpu thread over at beyond3d.

Start at post #1529 were this all thing started. It goes into detail about this topic.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1651196&highlight=gpgpu#post1651196

If you have a dx10.1 card or higher you have a "gpgpu." It stands for General-Purpose Computation on Graphics Hardware. Its not a replacement for a graphics card. It built into gpus. The debate was never is there a gpgpu because it has compute shader support in wiiu gpu. The deabte was just beacuse it had gpgpu "Support" doesn't mean it's viable. If you read the thread at beyond3d you will understand a lot more about this topic.

Instead of just going round and round in circles in this thread...

So the Wii U GPU is really a GPCGH? :p

Seriously though, what has happened here? My goodness.....

All modern day DirectX 11 GPU's can do General-Purpose Computing and the Wii U's GPU will be able to do that as well.

Going around in circles arguing about what to call a modern day GPU is silly. If you want to call the Wii U's GPU a GPGPU then cool, but if you want to call Wii U's GPU a GPU that can do General-Purpose Computing then that's fine too.

GPGPU is easier and faster to type though.....

Meelow

Banned
Right now? You obviously haven't followed me since WUST 1 :) I'm just a Nintendo gaming fan, very much burnt by the Wii generation, who hates almost everything Nintendo have said regarding the Wii U. It's been nothing but bullshit PR and excuse making while at the same time trying to tell us that they are going after the core gamer again.

UE4 is a next generation gaming engine. Nintendo is the first to the next generation and said engine isn't going to natively support Wii U? That's just fucking madness.

I consider this UE4 news to actually be worse that I thought for the reasons I mentioned in the other thread. I knew that Wii U wouldn't generate outcomes that look like a PC or 720/PS4 but for the engine maker to not even be supporting the platform is mind blowing.

We where all burnt with the Wii in some way but that doesn't mean it will happen again the Wii U, lots of news is good like the Nintendo Network, Miiverse, confirmed launch games, and more.

Epic said they aren't making a Wii U game with UE4, they said if devs want to use UE4 on Wii U than they can, just because Epic is not making a Wii U UE4 game doesn't mean it will never happen, and plus how much games does Epic release a year?, exactly.

Please don't be jumping to conclusions before the console even launches, we still have a lot to learn about it.

You know what helps is that with the Wii Nintendo wanted to grab a new audience with the Wii, with the Wii U they're main focus is to get third party support, with the Wii they said the third party's will come on it's own and Nintendo clearly saw that doesn't work.

When Nintendo pushes for something they usually succeed, will it work with the Wii U?, we don't know yet but we will eventually know.

Is this new?

Just Dance 4 Trailer confirms Wii U stand.

http://www.game-rumble.com/2012/07/just-dance-4-trailer-confirms-wii-u-stand.html

standk.jpg

Its looks like the gamepad is riding an exercise bike.

AzaK

Well, to be fair I think Epic is playing a game.

They're trying to force PS4 and X720 to go higher (higher being as high as they can get) and they're running out of time, these next gen platforms have 1 year and a half, tops, to come out and most hardware decisions have to be planned a full year before the console comes out. That gives them 6 months at most.

On top of it silicon for it should be ready more than 6 months in advance; 6 months being mentioned because it was the time before X360 launch they managed to tape out the GPU, which was really close; had it failed they'd miss their Q4 2005 launch (but perhaps they could have avoided the RRoD saga if they didn't rush it to market). Anyway, it basically means I highly doubt any manufacturer will risk missing a Q4 2013 launch, another RRoD fiasco or loosing massive money on hardware sold at launch.

That leaves Epic stranded for time.

They're not the people we want to have leading this industry, as their market vision is just bigger, stronger and faster even if it leaves manufacturers and developers in the red (by increasing manufacturing cost past profitability and increasing average development costs again), but they're not exactly stupid, and I'll explain:

I'll bet that if current ballpark specs we have for X720 and PS4 stay that way (and that is 1.8 TFlops tops) the Wii U will probably get it's support; but they're clearly praying for that not to be the case and such platforms to go after top Nvidia Kepler performance (3 TFlops) where they were running Unreal 3.9 Samaritan demo and Unreal 4.

Not making it easy on the Wii U is their only way of not admiting defeat/not making it so obvious that they can relent and still playing their card as a cautionary tale (of their support not being a given); it's also a trade, if Microsoft and Sony go for it they'll leave Nintendo out of their supported client list for this product (and give it bad PR) which of course interests the other manufacturers considering the Wii was market leader this gen, it's like a silent agreement in the works that they'll gladly play on these poor companies.

It all adds up (I'm not trying to build a conspiracy theory).

I don't disagree with you here. Epic will do whatever they have to to get more sales for their next engine and if that means downplaying a platform holder, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Epic said they aren't making a Wii U game with UE4, they said if devs want to use UE4 on Wii U than they can, just because Epic is not making a Wii U UE4 game doesn't mean it will never happen, and plus how much games does Epic release a year?, exactly.

No, this is the quote from Mark Rein

"I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable."

From that I'm taking that they are not supporting Wii U natively in UE4, but someone else can come along and make a game in UE4, they'll just have to generate their output themselves. I guarantee though that you'll be able to click "output for iOS" in UE4. That shows where Epic's aiming - differentiating hardware like high end consoles from MS and SONY or gorgeous games on mobile platforms. Wii U to them is probably just another console entering HD and therefore not too exciting and marketable from their engine's perspective.

Meelow

Banned
I don't disagree with you here. Epic will do whatever they have to to get more sales for their next engine and if that means downplaying a platform holder, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

No, this is the quote from Mark Rein

"I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable."

From that I'm taking that they are not supporting Wii U natively in UE4, but someone else can come along and make a game in UE4, they'll just have to generate their output themselves. I guarantee though that you'll be able to click "output for iOS" in UE4. That shows where Epic's aiming - differentiating hardware like high end consoles from MS and SONY or gorgeous games on mobile platforms. Wii U to them is probably just another console entering HD and therefore not too exciting and marketable from their engine's perspective.

This is what they said "Epic Games doesn't intend "to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U," the firm's vice-president Mark Rein has stated, but the engine could run on Nintendo's upcoming console "if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game" to the hardware."

So yes UE4 will be supported just not Epic games for right now, and if the rumors about the PS4 and 720 are right it's that they won't be high end.

No matter what the Wii U won't be outclassed in power like the Wii was.

In usc's defence he just doesn't make himself very clear and is confusing due to his assumptions that the reader of his posts will make the same assumptions as he does for certain terms and phrases he used and the context he believes he was using it in based solely on his level of usage. Unfortunately for him and to the detriment of the thread, not being concise has caused confusion on both sides of the discussion.

He is pessimistic but in his mind realistic, while others are optimistic, but in their minds realistic also. You are all correct in your belief of being realistic as that is just human nature. If USC and other pessimists were not here to keep the optimists in check and vice versa, the balance of speculation will be really skewed to one side and too far away from the truth which always lies between.
I do agree that to have a discussion you need the two sides of a spectrum; I hadn't specifically thought about the Pikmin 3 kind of DoF until someone pointed it out as a response to USC-Fan's posts about gpgpu's and compute shaders. And that added something to the discussion.

His error is coming across as someone taking too many guesses and the fact he seems to not grasp what he's really saying a lot of the times.

Just because two things were introduced at the same time doesn't make them the same; I recall yesterday he stepped on that flag very heavily for me when he implied that if gpgpu performance was crap compute shader performance would be too as if they were the same thing.

These implementations are somewhat related to SM5 and DirectX 11 but one has to have the notion that a gpu is a graphics chip; and thus graphics are it's playground and main appliance; gpgpu features, gp standing for general purpose tasks (like those cpu's have to do) being an extra because at one point stream processors were getting so complex they could actually implement extensions and cater them for that giving it an extra purpose/value. It doesn't detract from the main purpose though, so even if something is so-so at gpgpu code nothing implies it'll be crap in compute shaders who if supported are supposedly it's thing, and the real reason instruction slots and registers were increased; that or not being able to do them (I don't care enough to backtrack a few pages to check how he said it) they're branches of the same technological implementation, not the same thing.

It's that kind of stiffness when thinking what doing something really means that gives him away and makes some remarks so "flashy" on top of being, of all things, dead set "conclusions". If he doesn't completely grasp stuff it's not an issue to still bring it up, in fact it's very constructive (and I don't think he's trying to be anything other than that) but taking conclusions and being stubborn regarding them is a step too far.

No one else hypothesising here is coming to set on stone conclusions. We can't.

Meelow

Banned
https://twitter.com/Nnooo_Nic

Nnooo receives 'good news' about Wii U

Today we just got some good news moving us forward in a Wii U direction.

Two Tribes also said they "got really excited about the Wii U today"

Something good happened to the Wii U, I think I might jump on the hype train.

Banned site, I can guess where the source came from though so thanks anyway.

Edit: Damn, too quick haha

Yeah it was, I can't even right the name but it was Nintendo Go (flip that).

xD

Gee thanks, can't un-see that now.

Wii U gamepad has thick thighs

This is what they said "Epic Games doesn't intend "to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U," the firm's vice-president Mark Rein has stated, but the engine could run on Nintendo's upcoming console "if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game" to the hardware."

So yes UE4 will be supported just not Epic games for right now, and if the rumors about the PS4 and 720 are right it's that they won't be high end.

No matter what the Wii U won't be outclassed in power like the Wii was.

Epic will be too busy making money off their engine to really bother with releasing a port for wii u where they will not look 100% the same as the other console versions as it would be too much extra work for potentially less gain. If they are making a multiplatform game that is also on pc i would gather that they will port it on wii u if that was the case as scaling is already talen into consoderation in the budget, so maybe a F2P game but a console lead next gen game probably not. Its not a good economical decision at this stage but in the future who knows, Mark rein can and will change his mind if the opportunity is there for real profits on Wii U. Maybe a nintendo and epic collaboration will change things but it probably won't happen. Also there are many other engines next gen and who knows what the next gen nintendo engines are capabale of. Look at what they did with a 12gflop machine now think of what they will do with something 60x that powerful gpu wise.

Difference being PS4 and X720 will be supported by Epic and get licensed engine ports by them, they don't have to confirm it, that market it's the backbone of their core business and thus won't be ditched no matter what. PS4/X720 could be less powerful than Wii U and they'd get official support nonetheless which makes it all more disrespectful the whole "not sure about the wii u" thing, we get it they don't want to support it, but they really should considering they're a business.

Problem is the "you can but you're on own your own" treatment their tone implied when they're basically admitting it's perfectly doable but they won't have a thing to do with it if they can help it; but hey you can license their UE3 build for it!

And no, they're most certainly not developing a Wii U game based on UE3, all their upcoming projects will be UE4 because that's what they'll be trying to sell from now on.Too many times more often than they should.

I've a feeling we may start to see a small shift in licenced engine choices by third parties next gen if Crytek have any sense. The CryEngine is a nice piece of kit, not too sure how it compares in terms of fees though...but if they offer even marginally better support across all 4 platforms next gen then you may find the amount of CryEngine powered games rising.

If I were in charge of Crytek I'd certainly make some sort of statement to the press, or have a convenient 'leak', letting everyone know that the CryEngine is the way to go if you want decent support for U development. I've heard and read plenty about how pants Epic have been over the years with regards to decent support so it would certainly do Crytek a great deal of good for future next gen licencing across all platforms.

Haven't really heard anything good or bad regarding Crytek in that way...does anyone know how they are to work with..? Better or worse than Epic..?

Meelow

Banned
Wii U gamepad has thick thighs

Epic will be too busy making money off their engine to really bother with releasing a port for wii u where they will not look 100% the same as the other console versions as it would be too much extra work for potentially less gain. If they are making a multiplatform game that is also on pc i would gather that they will port it on wii u if that was the case as scaling is already talen into consoderation in the budget, so maybe a F2P game but a console lead next gen game probably not. Its not a good economical decision at this stage but in the future who knows, Mark rein can and will change his mind if the opportunity is there for real profits on Wii U. Maybe a nintendo and epic collaboration will change things but it probably won't happen. Also there are many other engines next gen and who knows what the next gen nintendo engines are capabale of. Look at what they did with a 12gflop machine now think of what they will do with something 60x that powerful gpu wise.

If the rumors are true the PS4 and 720 are 4-5x more powerful than Wii U tops, it won't be THAT bad in scaling down, Nintendo just needs to really show Epic Games that's it's worth to invest in the Wii U, Epic already said they really liked the Wii U so it's potential.

What games made by Epic were people expecting on a Nintendo system anyway? Gears of War? Unreal Tournament? Epic Games knows that the audience for those titles are already established and expected on Xbox 360.

I think this is all Mark Rein was talking about, other games that use UE4 would and should get ported to Wii U. If Next-Gen Call of Duty uses UE4, you can bet that Activision will be porting that over no questions asked.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I've been out of this thread for a while now. Has anyone compiled all the news since after E3 in an easy to read list?

I've been out of this thread for a while now. Has anyone compiled all the news since after E3 in an easy to read list?

Best news since E3 is:

-There are a lot more Third Party games that will be shown between now and the launch of Wii U this year.

-Unreal Engine 4 has been confirmed by Mark Rein to run on Wii U for ports of Next-Gen games if developers want to do it.

Hype Train is getting ready for another ride....

If i was coming here selling the wiiu would be most powerful thing ever like some were before E3 i would be love. But if i act realistic i'm label a troll. Go way back and look at my post about gpu power. When other were talking about 1000 glfop card in the wiiu i was saying I dont think it possible, label a troll.
Anyone expecting 1 teraflop was being too optimistic. If you said that you'd just be corrected.

Me myself, I wanted it to hit the 0.8 Teraflops seeing the top r7xx card pulled almost 1.4 Teraflops and the core shrinked 40nm part (RV740) managed 960 Gflops; that was with me being already a little bit conservative; but I was being too optimistic.

It's apparently in the 600 GFlop range, so there's no going around it. We're being realistic here.

Still your conclusions are a step too far; for starters sure you've seen/researched gpgpu tests (OpenCL tests, probably?) although they're not that common but you didn't take into account that both the tests and the compiler for the gpu were probably not optimized for ATi seeing the whole gpgpu was something Nvidia came up with. That would be the end of it for a computer part, but not when it's gonna be enclosed in a case for 5 years, specially if developers at some point have to actually use it.

On top of it, yes we know this is a r7xx custom part, sure! But you can call everything that came after r7xx on AMD/ATi field that isn't the new GCN architecture to be a r7xx custom as they built the last generations on top of it; so it either could be a placeholder or the basis for a project that could have taken any form providing it was still VLIW; that includes structural changes like VLIW4, or support for SM5, OpenGL 4.2 or OpenCL 1.2 feature sets, you name it. It's not like you're adding them to a Radeon 8500 (or that it hasn't been done).

This card, apparently has Eyefinity or similar:

According to the official AMD, the development team GPU were on the previous two is that now and have been integrated into one, the Wii U GPU, the output function multi-screen that is supported by the GPU latest generation " function that is mounted close to the Eyefinity".
Source: http://translate.google.com/transla...s.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20110611_452478.html

Which is a r8xx implementation. And we don't know what else was changed.
Then people were comparing wiiu being a ps2, ps4 being gc and x720 being xbox comparing next gen. Really go back and read some of these posts before e3.
Now you're not making sense.

I'm not a native speaker either, but you ought to be clear with the stuff you're saying if you want to be understood.
Always have to love bullshit exec responses. Iwata, you could have made it more powerful by taking a small loss or making less money or coming up with some other value add, or not putting the kitchen sink into the GamePad.
It's all a matter of balance. They could have made cuts on the controller, but it's not multitouch already, next you'd be choosing crap LCD's or lagging solutions.

Making a console is an act of balancing. Wether we like it or not I think Nintendo knows a thing or two about that.
And where was the answer to the actual question about the UE4? It's like he answered a different question.
He clearly sidestepped it.

Not much they can do at this point other than saying they're counting on products being able to be scaled (up and down) for their platform though.

I think this is all Mark Rein was talking about, other games that use UE4 would and should get ported to Wii U. If Next-Gen Call of Duty uses UE4, you can bet that Activision will be porting that over no questions asked.
Fat chance, they use IW engine who started of as a id Tech 3/Quake III engine fork.

It would be like Valve turning on Unreal Engine for their needs.
If the rumors are true the PS4 and 720 are 4-5x more powerful than Wii U tops, it won't be THAT bad in scaling down, Nintendo just needs to really show Epic Games that's it's worth to invest in the Wii U, Epic already said they really liked the Wii U so it's potential.
I'll insist that might be just smoke screen.

We've also seen Mark Rein trying to be polite about the Wii U when he clearly despised it. Because it caused them bad publicity and burnt bridges.

Them liking something they don't want to work on might be akin to Kojima every time he opens his mouth regarding Nintendo platforms and speaks about "unique'ness" nonsense.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Best news since E3 is:

-There are a lot more Third Party games that will be shown between now and the launch of Wii U this year.

-Unreal Engine 4 has been confirmed by Mark Rein to run on Wii U for ports of Next-Gen games if developers want to do it.

Hype Train is getting ready for another ride....

That's pretty good news! I'm definitely ready to get back on the train. I got off right after Nintendo's E3 conference.

Meelow

Banned
I think we all got off the hype train after Nintendo's E3, but it is rebuilding for Nintendo Direct and the Fall Conference.

Fat chance, they use IW engine who started of as a id Tech 3/Quake III engine fork.

It would be like Valve turning on Unreal Engine for their needs.I'll insist that might be just smoke screen.

We've also seen Mark Rein trying to be polite about the Wii U when he clearly despised it. Because it caused them bad publicity and burnt bridges.

Them liking something they don't want to work on might be akin to Kojima every time he opens his mouth regarding Nintendo platforms and speaks about "unique'ness" nonsense.

Well I guess a movie licence type game that the developer decided to use UE4 on would probably be a good example of the engine porting to Wii U.

I figured a stand for Upad would have to exist in some form though I've never seen or heard anything about it. I'm hoping developers are open to using the Wiimote/Nunchuck in conjunction with the Upad for single player experiences. I'm not digging the look though. It needs to be smaller and less noticeable. Oh well, I guess that is one area I can count on third party accessory companies for. Nyko may not stand much of a chance at making a compelling Upad alternative but one would hope it's in them to provide a nice $10 controller stand.

Haven't really heard anything good or bad regarding Crytek in that way...does anyone know how they are to work with..? Better or worse than Epic..?
Their support line for licensees can't be that hot because they don't have that many of them. They probably give more of a damn about them than Epic does though.

The main problem is not doing a FPS like their with their engine, is "if" you wanted to do something completely different. Say, cartoony.

They really should go ahead with Timesplitters 4 as a means to expand their engine versatility image. But their number of licensees is definitely rising.

We need more guys selling middleware, shame id and criterion are out of the run now.

Regardless, Nintendo should be more proactive about this too; if Epic continues to act like they are licensing Crytek engine for one of their games/dev studios would be a really great way to get back at them (and get a good looking game while at it).

EDIT: Nintendo calling Epic sales department and trying to licence UE4 for Wii U could also be funny.

While I don't mind being the punching bag I have to point out this is wrong. I haven't been abrasive. These types of dismissive posts are, though:

I have been civil in here. Dumb/ignorant at times? Sure, but civil.

To be fair, I never said who was Pee-Wee and who was Francis.

Yeah the slow news drip definitely has dampened the hype. Didn't help that Nintendo only showed launch window stuff at e3 either. Some of the stuff we saw we saw at last years e3 as well. Isn't there an EA event soon where they are announcing more WiiU games or did I just imagine that?

Nope did not catch that! I think a lot has been lost in the hardware talk. Feel free to repeat!

Thanks for asking. here are the content of my two posts.

Simultaneous gameplay with 2 players. Imagine a 2D Metroid. Huge. One player can use the big screen while the other uses the small screen. They can do different areas at the same time and clear them quickly. Maybe in one area something has to be activated for the player to progress in another area.

They could then join up on the big screen to destroy Ridey or Mother Brain together.

I, for one, would love to see a followup to XenoBlade Chronicles with the party leader using the DRC and two other players using either Wii U CC pros or Wiimote/ Nunchuck to control their players actions during battle.

I wouldn also love to see a huge Metroid or Castlevania with each player taking a different route in the game and clearing out different areas and subbosses at the same time. They could then join up to take on a bigger challenge together.

Multiplayer mode in Punchout for Wii U never got fully realized either. Now that each player can use a screen they could box the shit out of each other because of better angles.

lednerg

The stand at E3 looked like this:

Pic of it in use

So that white pyramid thing is either something Ubi just put there as a placeholder or it's the charge stand. Either way, it looks nothing like the patents for the charge stand. It also doesn't fit in with the design language of the Wii U in any way.

nordique

Except like...yesterday, where you said th exact opposite. Blu already gave you the run down on how vliw *could* be fine for compute. You chose to ignore his response to you.

An engine doesn't have anything to do with the game running on it. You could, in theory, create a 3d game of pong in ue4

Exactly. I recall the same thing. He has a habit of skipping blu's posts I've noticed. That might be why he doesn't seem to understand why people keep arguing back with him lol

I welcome another perspective, but the guy is lacking the ability to read others posts and see their points of views; somehow that turns into him saying he is getting flamed...

OMG the last few pages... I' almost regret posting my question :'(

I think we all got off the hype train after Nintendo's E3, but it is rebuilding for Nintendo Direct and the Fall Conference.

NEVER! It's just a pile of burning rubble now but I refuse to get off! >:O

nordique

Because they is not such thing as gpgpu. Its is a gpu that runs gpgpu code. They are not 2 different things. People were saying what if the next ps4/720 dont have a gpgpu like there are 2 different things. Every gpu support these features. Its not like you go buy a gpgpu card, no you buy a gpu.

There is no gpgpu because there is no such thing... smh... It has a gpu that has compute shader.

"The gpu in the wiiu can run gpgpu code but its terrible at running this code." Kinda scary some of you guys post on beyond3d...

gpgpu stands for General-Purpose Computation on Graphics Hardware. lol

you're shaking your head? I can only assume bg is spamming your inbox with boobah videos

It was ported to the wii. What I'm i missing here?

That's great. I can't find anything about that, so you're either making that up or I don't know how true that is (I cannot find any Wii games that used UE3) but it doesn't matter. Did you know Unreal Engine 2 was ported to the 3DS? Did you know it was also used on the PS2 and GameCube and the Xbox?

What you're missing is that we're talking about the Wii U, not the Wii. And we're talking about Unreal Engine 4.

For the record, Unreal Engine 3 was not scalable for the Wii.

nordique

No, it wasn't.. No game ever came out on Wii using UE3. We heard from Epic that a third party was "giving it a go", nothing was ever said about it again and we never saw anything come from it.

Ah, as I thought. Thanks Donnie.

Because i was answering his question. Did you think the debate was if it had a "gpgpu" or not?

Ok that make sense. I tried to google but i couldnt find anything. It only got wii u news.

Look, you straight up said "It is not a gpgpu" ... bg and StevieP both showed you your own posts stating such. Yet you deny that.

Now you say "OK that makes sense" after saying quite blatantly, as a matter of fact, Unreal Engine 3 WAS ported to the Wii.

You are jumping all over the place. I think the fact you can't see that, and proceed to blame posters in this thread as "Nintendo fanboys attacking you" is what makes you borderline trolling rather than debating, discussing, and trying to contribute towards the thread.

nordique

Im not insider and I have based my posts off the leak sdk and r700 base we know for the gpu. Pretty anything that been confirmed. Sad thing is this may be the only hardware info we get until the wiiu is taken apart.

Like the thread I posted to on beyond3d. If you read it you will see where i'm coming from.

Im not avoiding your post, people just get upset so i try not to post too much. If i was coming here selling the wiiu would be most powerful thing ever like some were before E3 i would be love. But if i act realistic i'm label a troll. Go way back and look at my post about gpu power. When other were talking about 1000 glfop card in the wiiu i was saying I dont think it possible, label a troll. Then people were comparing wiiu being a ps2, ps4 being gc and x720 being xbox comparing next gen. Really go back and read some of these posts before e3.

People says i been saying different thing but here are some of my old post about gpgpu. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39277261&highlight=#post39277261

and here from weeks ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39276612&postcount=4302

No, you're labelled a troll because you're not being realistic. You're half making up facts, saying claims that don't have legit sources or are not from any one who necessarily knows what they're talking about, confusing PR blabber with real information, claiming some posters in here who actually DO know what they're talking about have no idea and you were the one the whole time who was setting the frame of the conversation while outright ignoring those who are trying to contribute to your points by either discussing with you to show how your points are completely incorrect or in some cases only a bit incorrect, and when compared with your circular arguments (something you are ALSO saying of others...the only cyclical arguments I see from others is they're refuting the EXACT same things with you because you are being cyclical in the first place...) thus you come across as someone who could potentially be a troll (that is simply stirring up the pot)

*I think that was a run on sentence.

**Note to mods: I am not actually going crazy although it may appear so. I am trying to communicate and refute solely based on the points.

Any way, USC consider this:

This is direct from Epic games themselves, so this is about as legitimate as you can be

Unreal Engine 3
05_UE3_Houses.jpg

Unreal Engine 4
06_UE4_Houses.jpg

Looking at these pictures, can you understand how Unreal Engine 4 could be possible on Wii U, at least, if Unreal 3 is?

It doesn't mean Wii U is severely underpowered. Most of the people who are not Juniors (and some who are) in this thread have known for a long time what to expect from the Wii U. The ridiculous claims were being made outside this thread. We've only ever tried to figure out the truth

That mean we both accept the Wii U for what it is and where it stands, AND what it is NOT (that is, when people erroneously claim it is simply a PS3 or 360 in power or weaker)

I think most of the people who have been on the ball with Wii U specs are some of the most open minded posters on GAF, at least they are able to discuss and debate.

Look, you straight up said "It is not a gpgpu" ... bg and StevieP both showed you your own posts stating such. Yet you deny that.

Now you say "OK that makes sense" after saying quite blatantly, as a matter of fact, Unreal Engine 3 WAS ported to the Wii.

You are jumping all over the place. I think the fact you can't see that, and proceed to blame posters in this thread as "Nintendo fanboys attacking you" is what makes you borderline trolling rather than debating, discussing, and trying to contribute towards the thread.

I'm finding Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle a lot easier to understand than this whole "no it doesn't have a GPGPU, but it does, BUT it all makes sense cuz GPGPUs don't really exist anyways." I think for now I'll just put this all in the back of my mind.

:p

No, you're labelled a troll because you're not being realistic. You're half making up facts, saying claims that don't have legit sources or are not from any one who necessarily knows what they're talking about, confusing PR blabber with real information, claiming some posters in here who actually DO know what they're talking about have no idea and you were the one the whole time who was setting the frame of the conversation while outright ignoring those who are trying to contribute to your points by either discussing with you to show how your points are completely incorrect or in some cases only a bit incorrect, and when compared with your circular arguments (something you are ALSO saying of others...the only cyclical arguments I see from others is they're refuting the EXACT same things with you because you are being cyclical in the first place...) thus you come across as someone who could potentially be a troll (that is simply stirring up the pot)

*I think that was a run on sentence.

**Note to mods: I am not actually going crazy although it may appear so. I am trying to communicate and refute solely based on the points.

Any way, USC consider this:

This is direct from Epic games themselves, so this is about as legitimate as you can be

Unreal Engine 3
05_UE3_Houses.jpg

Unreal Engine 4
06_UE4_Houses.jpg

Looking at these pictures, can you understand how Unreal Engine 4 could be possible on Wii U, at least, if Unreal 3 is?

It doesn't mean Wii U is severely underpowered. Most of the people who are not Juniors (and some who are) in this thread have known for a long time what to expect from the Wii U. The ridiculous claims were being made outside this thread. We've only ever tried to figure out the truth

That mean we both accept the Wii U for what it is and where it stands, AND what it is NOT (that is, when people erroneously claim it is simply a PS3 or 360 in power or weaker)

I think most of the people who have been on the ball with Wii U specs are some of the most open minded posters on GAF, at least they are able to discuss and debate.

Because it appears that Unreal Engine 4 doesn't seem like the leap they are making it out to be?

nordique

I'm finding Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle a lot easier to understand than this whole "no it doesn't have a GPGPU, but it does, BUT it all makes sense cuz GPGPUs don't really exist anyways." I think for now I'll just put this all in the back of my mind.

:p

Hahaha....well consider that under this context perhaps there was no genetic drift in some posters' [incoherent] responses

(moi inclus? I hope I'm comprehendible because then this joke is actually on me)

We're less than a week away from EA's shindig. Hopefully that will be the start of a good run of actual info on games.

I'm not denying that it's better than Wii, but how I was viewing (perhaps naively) UE4 before this was like so:

"Wii U will be able support UE4 and there will be a "Generate Wii U package" button in the Unreal Editor but it will obviously not be using all of UE4's features".

Now it's

"Wii U can support UE4 features, cut down, but hey, you need to write your own Wii U package generation code and support".

The latter is FAR worse than the former. Overall though I will admit that it's a net positive compared to Wii because with Wii, it was much harder to use UE.

Haha. Yeah I never expected a "port to Wii U" button. But there was enough info there to say it was at least possible and that games would just be scaled down. And I always felt that would be on the devs since Epic talked enough about "intended platforms".

But all things considered it shouldn't be too much of a problem for them porting a down-scaled version of a game. In that old Sweeney article I linked to he said at the end they planned to design their engine to potentially be able to run on anything that can handle general processing. The console has modern hardware. And Epic has touted its scalability.

The stand at E3 looked like this:

Pic of it in use

So that white pyramid thing is either something Ubi just put there as a placeholder or it's the charge stand. Either way, it looks nothing like the patents for the charge stand. It also doesn't fit in with the design language of the Wii U in any way.

The other one definitely looks like an Ubisoft concoction based on how weird it looks, haha.

Stewox

Banned
Hey you guys lied.

HD doesn't make any real difference aside from being able to read text.

Liars.

Still looks like a 360.

To what are you referring to ? Joke ?

Right, textures are more important than just resolution. Plus, many graphical-dependants use various HDTVs with poor screen quality.

Because the Wii U CPU is only having issues with these current gen ports because the Wii U is designed to assign some of those tasks to the GPU, which devs apparently aren't doing in the port job.

That's their problem, the hardware was not designed for ports, the developers meant by easy only becuase the technological level is higher and they didn't have to change the underlayer of the code in such a time consuming and much more effort consuming manner.

None of the developers spoken about how it should be done, all of these are obviously ports, some better than others, depending on developer effort put into, it is solely subjective and business issue.

It's not the CPU that's having issues with, it's the developers having issues with the CPU, if that's so. But in essence, the "some stuff" being done on the GPU is a good thing, for 3D graphical intensive games, this leaves room for AI, physics and other things on the CPU.

There are many issues that developers don't speak of and they get done because they workaround them, you don't know about it, but when it gets out, the kids go crazy, and pretty much half of this thread is filled by posts about somebody worrying them selfs about what some random developer said about some local, temporary issues becuase he had a bad day, or his butt hurts.

I do not agree that developers should be baybisitted like that in a way of the wiiU development to support some kind of super fast "port" mode, that is not possible literally because that would require the WiiU device detection of how the copyrighted originals works, however it's already easier than ever to develop for WiiU, but that doesn't mean developers are going to be making huge advances by just porting games over, not by a long shot, if they are porting they are taking shortcuts and that's their problem, they have nothing to bitch about, nintendo builds it's hardware primarly for it's first-party development which is from scratch, they don't get done when the game is polished, but the 3rd parties always want to cut down necessary time to achieve the top quality, and they start moaning if things don't go as smooth when they're trying to.

Many developers won't admit it's a better way at the expense of ease of porting, the ease of porting is something it's not worth sacrificng all the long-term benefits and the actual true capabilities of the machine.

You will get fair and actual assesment from John Carmack, and others, he gets to the point of hardware reality, he actually talks, while you see other interviews of developers they only scratch the surface of mentioning some stuff, never explaining and getting to the point of differences and comparrisons they have these constructed issues and this and that nitpicking stuff, most developers answers are carefully limited as they do it for money ofcourse, they don't say the stuff they know, instead they put out bits of scattered information through many of these medias, and some developer include all of what they speak and if they're asked about it, they won't got all out in detail, and they will try to avoid answering in full. Many companies have flawed marketing in terms of factual accuracy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39740317&postcount=7497

In the article linked and quoted by Trevelyan, he said the physics would be handled by Wii U's GPU.

Okay physics are one of the things migrated then ... correction for my above text.

Holy shit, just realized that it's being rendered twice, both on the Gamepad and the television. EDIT: Or is only a video being shown on one of the screens?
Also, the global illumination looks incredible. So much radiosity going on in there, and it doesn't seem to be baked.

Indeed, it's true eyefinity, no stupid scaling.

And I'm not arguing against that. As soon as the devkit specs leaked, listing tessellation and compute programming support, I figured Nintendo had made an effort to adopt a somewhat modern feature set to the GPU. And that is something I am very happy about, especially compute programming, as I felt the absence of such features would hinder third party engine efforts next generation (many of which I suspect will be heavy on compute shaders).

But I know not the capabilities of the tessellation nor compute programming on the Wii U, and I'm not going to pretend to. I also don't know what/if Nintendo has bolted on to the GPU as a fixed function. And I dont feel pointing to Pikmin 3's DOF is a solid example of DX11 featured hardware.

Exactly, you'll hear Carmack talking about the benefits and factors as well as overall differences with WiiU, I suspect compute shaders to be one of those major factors.

All this stuff will happen some time after release or at least at release, but still in-depth won't be when carmack doesn't get serious on some project for WiiU, so don't expect a ton of information at launch.

DirectX11 has 3 major new features IIRC:

Tessellation
Compute shaders
Multithreading

The WiiU apparently supports at least the first 2 to some degree. So I'm not sure what you guys are debating. The WiiU is not going to use the DirectX API and the exact implementation of tessellation and compute shaders may be somewhat different, but if the WiiU does support tessellation (beyond what the 360 supports which was basically ignored by developers) and compute shaders then it is highly in line with DX11 features.

What the hardware supports it can be granted, remember, consoles don't rely on the API, some of the hardware stuff that is not well implemented with API or not at all, developers can easily operate with the hardware directly, bypassing the API alltogether, this is much more difficult programming effort, it requires even more knowledge and experience, that's why you guys see a ton of ports, they don't want to be spending months delaying the game and thousands of dollars trying to write their own operations with the hardware (assembly imo) this is what Id Software does, they will do it sooner or later because Carmack is eager to do something for nintendo already, and they will annihilate the competition when their product is out, annihilate - in technical terms.

This means the performance and beauty can go past DX11 if the hardware is there, nintendo only meant "equivalent to DX10.1" but with a custom GPU we cannot be sure what exactly until we open up and analyze the hardware inside, do you really think DX11 on PC is the limit of the universe, windows is buggy, microsoft doesn't produce the worlds top code quality in software performance, DX11 is not remotely a benchmark.
We don't even know in full details what features does hardware support, maybe it has all of the DX11-supported features or only some of them, those that are there can be optimized by developers and can EXCEED the performance and benefit than the DX11 on PC.

This stuff is not plug-n-play, it's not absolute, not fixed, it's not your mothers kitchen pastry mixer which has 6 options and that's it, all we are talking about here are estimated equivalents, we cannot get a perfect 100% comparrison or example of the GPU or it's capabilities, because so much is dependant on the software, not just the game script code, the game program code (c++), it's the code that operates with the hardware, drivers and other stuff, Assembly is much harder and much less humanly readable than the programming code that makes game engines (C++), this is what it takes to suck out all the performance out of the device, but it's worth it in the end, this is what is so called optimization which has been taken so out of context, the games that get delayed aren't optimized, that's a big misconception, those games probably aren't making up the standards or the content is not yet complete, the programmer team might already be on some other project at the time, most of the developers who know what they're doing (big guys, blizzard ..etc) aren't announcing release dates prematurely, so it doesn't necessairly mean the game is getting some kind of big super duper performance boost because it's been delayed a few months, delayed in a case of release date already being set for some time but then pushed back.

We don't even have the closes estimated equivalent for the wiiU GPU now, too early, r700 sure, but that's totally not accurate enough.

The only thing why linux didn't take over gaming industry is simply because it's a business/commercial issue. Games would run double the performance, even more.

If it was that easy, everyone would be maxing out the GFX and all the beauty.

Im glad Carmack is pushing this into PC space, one day PCs might be open so you can have developer writign their own custom GPU drivers amonth other hardware, people may have not understood him in the interviews last year after rage's release, he didn't said it literally but he essentially wants to write his own drivers for this own games, in every interview he complains how stupid and bad PC drivers have been and still are (not quoted literally), obviously, there is NO WAY 2 (ati, nvidia) companies are going to have that amount of resources to make their drivers to be the perfect super-optimized for every game ever released on PC, it's just a big joke, it never worked , unless they forget about business and hire 20.000 programmers that will release mega-updates every week, dreams.

All these GPU wars, it never was about the hardware, it was about the drivers, and it still is, sometimes the hardware was just so good it made an offset with software and turned out better than the competition, sometimes one side sometimes the other, that's about it.

But you shouldn’t be expecting Call of Duty-like games to be offered from Nintendo.

Great, and Nintendo network will be a nicer place. I don't want all the x360 kids migrating to wiiu online and infesting it with their childish behavior.

It's funny really. This particular topic has been the source of angst, caterwaling, and tongue gnashing for the better part of a year in these threads. A few people have literally been ready to jump off a bridge because they thought Wii U could not run UE4.

Aaaagh No UE4 equals no buy for me!

Now we find out from one remark from Mark Rein that people were being despondent for nothing.

BTW, what ever happened to the rumor about Epic games and Metroid?

UE4 is irrelevant.

Iwata:
I personally believe that if there is no physical feedback from the controller then that's, for me, not good. With the Wiimote it has a certain weight, you feel like you have something in your hand, you can press and button and have this haptic feedback or can hear a sound, or it will rumble. With a camera there's no feedback that you can feel physically. But this is just my subjective point of view and whether I'm correct or not maybe we'll see in 10 years, I think history will tell us (laughs).

Opinion of a true gamer.

Hint Hint Hint: Haptic feedback, Confirmed ?

Iwata:
I think that the Wii U will be powerful enough to run very high spec games but the architecture is obviously different than other consoles so there is a need to do some tuning if you really want to max out the performance.

That's just for support, to get the CPU algorithms right, to get it working right, it's not the actual custom optimizations, so, to max out the performance you have to do a whole lot more, for example, it took id software 6 years to develop IdTech5 which is extremely fast in performance and the engine is still actively changing (Doom4 will be an updated IDTech5) , so good luck.

I am talking about engine it self, too bad I don't have example or proof because id studio is not out yet, not about Rage and it's driver flaws on PC(long story, and yes i know everything what happend) so don't mix things up when you reply.

If UE4 is as scalable as Epic touts it, that's not a good excuse for them. At the same time like I mentioned in your thread, Epic has a certain idea of how they want UE4-based games to look. And we've all known that if Wii U could handle a UE4-based game it wouldn't be reduced. And people wanting to own one console are probably not going to be too concerned about fewer particles and less tessellation.

The "Wii U isn't the right market" is the only "legit" bullet devs have left IMO.

The westerners are nitpicking as hell. They rely too much on "proven business models" which is pretty much waiting on what will others do and follow suit, ofcourse, the industry is too saturated and over-exploited, innovation and creativity ratio is low. Coupled with an extremely saturated and fast way of life, not surprising at all.

I can't wait for the 90 born generation to grow up and start making games serious like they used to be, hey I'm one of them, still in college. And I don't want to be following a pre-defined path in my life, it's more in peoples philosophy than in industry situation, because if you make a good enough job you can make a difference, minecraft anyone, and that's just one example.

How anyone could interpret that as bad news is beyond me. He says right there Wii U is capable of running UE4 if the customer needs it.

Inexperienced people taking stuff out of context. This is normal. The good thing is, what they say is irrelevant and worthless.

Epic has it's own weird ideas, never been a true fan of that company. Their non-wiiu support won't affect me, nor it would affect the success of the console, unless the whole industry goes nuts and moans about UE4 support as their primary reason, thinking about making a flowchart of this cliche thought process by 3rd-parties, similar to Wii Test Game.

I dunno about that. Take-Two's CEO pretty much said the company is taking a wait and see approach with porting "mature" titles to the Wii U. Which is a damn shame, imo.

Good thing and a bad thing.

Bad: They're waiting to see "proven business models" as I said before. (following suits)
Good: There won't be cheap ports, but this is not necessairly guaranteed.

This:

"I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable.

Scalability means it supports multiple platforms, essentiall many engine versions packed into one, but that's silly, the mobile version won't have the rest.

Scalability for developers in other sense is that the code is written in such a way it has a lot of options and customizations to tweak and fillde with, it's just a ton of effort put on top.

That's what scalability is, it does not prove how fast or how good the engine actually is, it won't make it any better, infact, they're putting so much on this because it's their licensing business they're actually targeting.

This scalability is a huge service for the developers, but worthless for end customers, except in the modding world, an engine with a lot of options integrated into UI to tweak with is gold worthy.

HylianTom

Banned
Because it appears that Unreal Engine 4 doesn't seem like the leap they are making it out to be?
Reminds me of that whole category of "X will blow Y outta the water!" claims.

I'm very much looking forward to reactions when the screenshots of UE4 console games finally begin to leak. It's gonna be a magical time around here, I says! Haha!

I think FPS games could use that stand for the Wii U Gamepad to display the map, score, weapon list and use that in combination with the Wii U Pro Controller to control the game.

I'm curious to see all the control options on the back of the box in BLOPS2 lol.

Stewox

Banned
Regarding UE4 statements, I think its safe to say its all but confirmed Wii U can run it

[Unreal Engine 4] could be ported to Wii U [...]

This essentially confirms what we have been wondering for some time (whether Wii U would be able to run it). Epic mentioned that PS3 and 360 will not be able to run it

The fact he mentioned the scalability portion only adds to the context he was eluding to as confirmatory, and what Iwata mentioned in his other interview recently posted when directly asked about Unreal Engine 4, to me it seems its case closed on whether the Wii U could or could not run UE4

Its not the ideal platform (its raw spec are better suited to something like UE3) since it doesn't have a >1TFLOP GPU...but it could be ported; it could run.

(to add, from Iwata's interview:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-now-on-to-compete-over-graphics-7936301.html)

This is nothing surprising, the only people who have been wondering are the people who must be very confused and easily influenced by misinformation and bad opinions and do not understand the technicalities.

UE4 as an engine it self has no reason not to be on the WiiU. These are the basics, it's pointless to explain, i never guessed it's support, i was sure all along, as many on b3d.

Ofcourse it's not the ideal platform, nobody expected WiiU to be HD7990 with 4GB RAM and whatever.

Someone else made this point in the other thread today, but I do think there is a good chance that UE4 is not going to have the impact UE3 had. It definitely seems like the bigger publishers have their own engines they will be using.

UE4 will not be missed, the devs might moan about it inside the industry, those who depend on licensing stuff so much to make their COD-spinoffs, I see those as parasites, exploiters, and I don't take them seriously, they are not worthy enough of attention.

By the way. While I agree that there may be less emphasis on UE4 with others having their own in-house engine, it is plausible that Nintendo puts forth the effort to make a foundational version of UE4 for Wii U. They were already (helping with) optimizing certain engines leading up to launch anyway.

I am pretty sure that you fell for that miscontext and misquote too. Don't be fooled, it was forwarded material, I forgot from whom but the media guys like to change and switch words around. There is no optimization that Nintendo did to UE4, they do not have access to it's source code, unless they got a license for one of their own games which is extremely unlikely as they have always built their own engines.

Nintendo cannot optimize UE4 and release it as an updated version for all WiiU 3-rd parties if that's what you think.

The whole rumor was again, therfore, percieved as such, taken out of context. What nintendo did was a SPEC BUMP, to best of my conclusion, that's the only thing they can do of in extreme other-wording "making sure UE4 runs", this is pure tech basics, Nintendo as in the hardware vendor, cannot influence by their software in terms of APIs or whatever to only "help" one single engine out there, it was a specs bump or not, whatever, maybe it was an API thing who knows, but it APPLIES FOR ALL SOFTWARE not only UE4, and every game and every engine WILL benefit from it, unless nintendo goes nuts and makes a hidden detector in OS for UE4 than boosts the performance of the console either using a hidden API call that is super-optimized code behind it or a clock up, which is first of all very unlikely, but also unfair and if it's uncovered it would be a PR disaster, and EPIC accused of blackmail.

This Unreal Engine is regarded as holy-grail, maybe because every college nerd sees first big editor as (EPIC was approaching heavily into these markets) and thinks that's all there is in the world , behaving like a schoolgirl with her first crush; percieved as falsely, please stop betting on this ridicolous company with a service for the licensing world, it has no benefit to the end user, they did little creatively, GOW is a consolized unreal tournament and unreal tournament it self is a Quake ripoff, Epic is a joke IMO, they have this massive PR machine going on which has all these kids very loyal to them, not to mention their front-guy bleszinski which may well be the most annoying person in the industry when it comes to interviews because you can see how fake he is, all those facial expressions, it's all pumped up hyped PR, he's a media-*****, he is easily controlled by the annoying interviewers, Carmack is a total opposite and much more enjoying.

CryEngine had 2-3 years what UE4 has now, however shocking it is the truth, i've worked with CryEngine editors a lot and for modding one of my all time favourites Crysis.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cr...ne-4-CryTek-Epic-Games-Cevat-Yerli,16012.html
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-three-years-ahead-of-unreal-engine-4-crytek/

Most people take licensing as a big success in terms of how good the engine is, another major misconception and a big mistake. As you can see in some of the kid commments in these 2 articles, CryEngine started licensing late, and it's a guess how much do they really invest, they actually made great games, now the most important thing everyone fails to see, the licensing world is not necessairly a good thing, some don't want to license stuff and they DON'T CARE ABOUT OTHER'S SUCCESS.

Very Important: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoLaA-CVmTE&feature=player_detailpage#t=913s

If at all speculating about critical engine support, you guys should be talking about CryEngine, they don't have resources for another team to be dedicated for WiiU that's why they're just experimenting, So Crysis 3 may come to WiiU after it's first release.
Ofcourse this is an irony, the UE4 is getting mostly licensed out that's why people worry for it, but I personally worry for IDTech engine and if ID will finally find some way to get something done on nintendo, that's my biggest worry, because that will make a big difference, even if it's just one game against the industry, it will shake it!

I've made an extensive thread on thewiiu forums for this but I think this snippet will suffice as I am explainging to you who are informed about this tech and should easily understand. It's just dumbed down explanation for others to understand.

DUDE! All you've been doing is debating that it wasn't. Are there two of you posting under the same name because that's the only explanation I can come up with based on some of your responses.

Indeed.

Most of the posts I did not respond to are pointless debates of things we currently do not have enough information on, some big calculations and details. Good luck losing time and nerves for nothing :p

I understand, desperate people want to know before they'll buy it, but that's because they bet their buy on ridicolous details and irrelevant factors such as UE4. I can relax, i won't buy it on release date, and If I would, I would buy it anyhow, gameplay over graphics any day.

Opinion of a true gamer. ... deja-vu anyone?

Really the best thing i can say is if you want to learn about gpgpu stuff and understand what I am saying read the wiiu gpu thread over at beyond3d.

Start at post #1529 were this all thing started. It goes into detail about this topic.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1651196&highlight=gpgpu#post1651196

If you have a dx10.1 card or higher you have a "gpgpu." It stands for General-Purpose Computation on Graphics Hardware. Its not a replacement for a graphics card. It built into gpus. The debate was never is there a gpgpu because it has compute shader support in wiiu gpu. The deabte was just beacuse it had gpgpu "Support" doesn't mean it's viable. If you read the thread at beyond3d you will understand a lot more about this topic.

Instead of just going round and round in circles in this thread...

DX10.1 has nothing to do with WiiU, you need to notify in what context are you talking about, until then, there is nothing more to say about this matter.

Epic will be too busy making money off their engine ...

The best part is they're fooling the whole community and media industry spectrum while at it.

That's great. I can't find anything about that, so you're either making that up or I don't know how true that is (I cannot find any Wii games that used UE3) but it doesn't matter. Did you know Unreal Engine 2 was ported to the 3DS? Did you know it was also used on the PS2 and GameCube and the Xbox?

What you're missing is that we're talking about the Wii U, not the Wii. And we're talking about Unreal Engine 4.

For the record, Unreal Engine 3 was not scalable for the Wii.

I am not sure even my self with what they mean scalability

In terms of engine customizations or engine versions supported out of the box ?

These general terms "scalability, optimizations, etc" are very context-dependant so they are very prone to misconception and false perception.

The press releases are very confusing since they're very BROAD and simplistic becuase they're used by the dumbed down media and investors. It is pointless to debade over these statements, unless we're desperate speculationists, hehe.

Anyone expecting 1 teraflop was being too optimistic. If you said that you'd just be corrected.

Me myself, I wanted it to hit the 0.8 Teraflops seeing the top r7xx card pulled almost 1.4 Teraflops and the core shrinked 40nm part (RV740) managed 960 Gflops; that was with me being already a little bit conservative; but I was being too optimistic.

It's apparently in the 600 GFlop range, so there's no going around it. We're being realistic here.

Still your conclusions are a step too far; for starters sure you've seen/researched gpgpu tests (OpenCL tests, probably?) although they're not that common but you didn't take into account that both the tests and the compiler for the gpu were probably not optimized for ATi seeing the whole gpgpu was something Nvidia came up with. That would be the end of it for a computer part, but not when it's gonna be enclosed in a case for 5 years, specially if developers at some point have to actually use it.

On top of it, yes we know this is a r7xx custom part, sure! But you can call everything that came after r7xx on AMD/ATi field that isn't the new GCN architecture to be a r7xx custom as they built the last generations on top of it; so it either could be a placeholder or the basis for a project that could have taken any form providing it was still VLIW; that includes structural changes like VLIW4, or support for SM5, OpenGL 4.2 or OpenCL 1.2 feature sets, you name it. It's not like you're adding them to a Radeon 8500 (or that it hasn't been done).

From where are these new 0.8 TF - 600 GFLOP assumptions taken, all past rumors show above 1TFLOP , i wasn't around here so any links ?

This card, apparently has Eyefinity or similar:

Source: http://translate.google.com/transla...s.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20110611_452478.html

Which is a r8xx implementation. And we don't know what else was changed.Now you're not making sense.

I'm not a native speaker either, but you ought to be clear with the stuff you're saying if you want to be understood.It's all a matter of balance. They could have made cuts on the controller, but it's not multitouch already, next you'd be choosing crap LCD's or lagging solutions.

Making a console is an act of balancing. Wether we like it or not I think Nintendo knows a thing or two about that.He clearly sidestepped it.

Not much they can do at this point other than saying they're counting on products being able to be scaled (up and down) for their platform though.

Eyefinity was confirmed from the get go, that's how the DRC gets it's separate render, it's not a downscaled image when you switch screens, DRC receives native output, better than any scaling.

Most of the stuff was pulled from already known info of PC parts, but some thing appears in the middle that has trouble translating "Programmable Xie" (maybe compute shaders?)

Nothing new, the thing about eyefinity having more than 3 outputs is also known. Everything else in the article is old or invalid info. (directly comparing it with PC GPU = invalid)

Okay physics are one of the things migrated then ... correction for my above text.

I'm going to just say I was wrong on that.

I am pretty sure that you fell for that miscontext and misquote too. Don't be fooled, it was forwarded material, I forgot from whom but the media guys like to change and switch words around. There is no optimization that Nintendo did to UE4, they do not have access to it's source code, unless they got a license for one of their own games which is extremely unlikely as they have always built their own.

Nintendo cannot optimize UE4 and release it as an updated version for all WiiU 3-rd parties if that's what you think.

The whole rumor was again, therfore, percieved as such, taken out of context. What nintendo did was a SPEC BUMP, to best of my conclusion, that's the only thing they can do of in extreme other-wording "making sure UE4 runs", this is pure tech basics, Nintendo as in the hardware vendor, cannot influence by their software in terms of APIs or whatever to only "help" one single engine out there, it was a specs bump or not, whatever, maybe it was an API thing who knows, but it APPLIES FOR ALL SOFTWARE not only UE4,

This Unreal Engine is regarded as holy-grail, maybe because every college nerd sees , behaving like a schoolgirl with her first crush; percieved as falsely, please stop betting on this ridicolous company with a service for the licensing world, it has no benefit to the end user, they did little creatively, GOW is a consolized unreal tournament and unreal tournament it self is a Quake ripoff, Epic is a joke IMO, they have this massive PR machine going on which has all these kids very loyal to them, not to mention their front-guy bleszinski which may well be the most annoying person in the industry when it comes to interviews because you can see how fake he is, all those facial expressions, it's all pumped up hyped PR, he's a media-*****, he is easily controlled by the annoying interviewers, Carmack is a total opposite and much more enjoying.

I've made an extensive thread on thewiiu forums for this but I think this snippet will suffice as I am explainging to you who are informed about this tech and should easily understand. It's just dumbed down explanation for others to understand.

You're misunderstanding what I meant by that. During the tweaking phase Nintendo apparently/supposedly worked on optimizing certain engines (middleware) with the hardware to improve efficiency and performance with them on the hardware. They didn't use a spec bump for that. I was saying it would be plausible to believe that they could do the same with UE4 if needed.

From where are these new 0.8 TF - 600 GFLOP assumptions taken, all past rumors show above 1TFLOP , i wasn't around here so any links ?

There were never any rumors saying it would be above 1 TFLOP.

The current beliefs are based on what the dev kits have/had.

I'm going to just say I was wrong on that.

You're misunderstanding what I meant by that. During the tweaking phase Nintendo apparently/supposedly worked on optimizing certain engines (middleware) with the hardware to improve efficiency and performance with them on the hardware. They didn't use a spec bump for that. I was saying it would be plausible to believe that they could do the same with UE4 if needed.

There were never any rumors saying it would be above 1 TFLOP.

The current beliefs are based on what the dev kits have/had.

In the closed box custom featured environment that the Wii U will have, 600-800 GFLOPS should get the job done handily.

Didn't hear those.

0.8 TF was my "shoot to the sky" best case scenario for the form factor; turned out too optimistic.
Eyefinity was confirmed from the get go, that's how the DRC gets it's separate render, it's not a downscaled image when you switch screens, DRC receives native output, better than any scaling.

Most of the stuff was pulled from already known info of PC parts, but some thing appears in the middle that has trouble translating "Programmable Xie" (maybe compute shaders?)

Nothing new, the thing about eyefinity having more than 3 outputs is also known. Everything else in the article is old or invalid info. (directly comparing it with PC GPU = invalid)
I was doing that point as to deflect the whole "it's a r7xx it can't have anything more modern bolted into it" argument.

I don't think it was officially confirmed by Nintendo though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom