• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
Grand Theft Auto V is super important so it'll be interesting to see if it's there. Do we know for sure if Bioshock Infinite is off the table?

if it comes, it'll be a late port by another studio like the original BioShock which came to PS3 14 months after its Xbox 360 release.

Nilaul

Internet flash game since 2006 (DS release date)
-UPIXO In Action: Mission in Snowdriftland
-Chick Chick Boom

DS
Jet Impulse
Slide Adventure MAGKID
Zekkyō Senshi Sakeburein
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat ???
Eyeshield 21
Mawashite Tsunageru Touch Panic
Meteos????/?
Jump Super Stars???

Bold ones Im not sure

Thanks;

Then that leaves us with 4 games Im not sure of:

ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Meteos
Jump Super Stars (I say no because it features a collection of characters from other IP?)

Do built in Ar games count?

I think you've made your point. :p The important question isn't whether Nintendo has published new IPs, but if the new IPs it's published have had a significant impact. I'd say it's around the same level as the GameCube gen, which was itself far below previous generations.

D-e-f-

Banned
Thanks;

Then that leaves us with 4 games Im not sure of:

ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Meteos
Jump Super Stars (I say no because it features a collection of characters from other IP?)

Do built in Ar games count?

AR games -> yes, they're games ... :) Find Mii/StreetPass kinda counts as well.

ASH -> yes, should count like any of the other published games made by a non-Nintendo studio

Meteos -> let's say no. it was co-published with Bandai

Jump Super Stars -> I'd say yes 'cause it's its own game with characters from other places. Pretty much like Smash Bros. was its own new IP when it first came out.

Nilaul

I think you've made your point. :p The important question isn't whether Nintendo has published new IPs, but if the new IPs it's published have had a significant impact. I'd say it's around the same level as the GameCube gen, which was itself far below previous generations.

Its a hit or miss, rarely will someone buy a new IP. But if the new IP is a hit, its a system seller. I guess this is why Nintendo is happy about the Eshop, its like a ground where they can show off their new IPs with a smaller risk, and make sure that ateast million of people will atleast try it with a Demo.

Speaking of new IPs, when do you think we'll get Miyamoto's project? I was thinking it would be a good 2014 release, to fill the gap left after 3D Mario and Retro's game arrive (to prevent another Wii Music situation), but I really don't know enough about what's going on with that to make an informed guess.

Nilaul

Speaking of new IPs, when do you think we'll get Miyamoto's project? I was thinking it would be a good 2014 release, to fill the gap left after 3D Mario and Retro's game arrive (to prevent another Wii Music situation), but I really don't know enough about what's going on with that to make an informed guess.

We might had already gotten it though, it could had been any of the smaller nintendo games released :p

Anth0ny

Just got this email:

82rns2a.jpg

Looks like Wii U might be making an appearance at Fan Expo in Toronto, Canada next weekend.

Just preordered Rayman and Mass Effect 3... Hopefully I'll be able to preorder something to play them on soon.

Oh, and I get to play WiiU in four days. HYPE!

Yesssss!!!!

Have just watched the ZombiU trailer again more closely and it looks like they've done what I was hoping they would do - they've removed the crosshairs by the looks of it! Nice!!! No crosshairs and no ADS - these muppets that play CoD and rely on aim assist, ADS, auto regeneration of health and multi-hits before death are going to get a real taste of what 'hardcore' gaming really is. I suspect some of them may end up in tears lololol. Unfortunately some of these muppets are reviewing games these days so I'm hoping they won't mark the game down for being too difficult lol.

Of course, me being a hardened (nearly) 41 year old veteran shouldn't have too many problems kicking some zombiefied arse...or could those be famous last words..? ;oP

Good to see that we get to wander about in a zombie infested Buckingham Palace, not very patriotic of me but I'm itching to kill the zombiefied Royal Family and corgis lol.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yesssss!!!!

Have just watched the ZombiU trailer again more closely and it looks like they've done what I was hoping they would do - they've removed the crosshairs by the looks of it! Nice!!! No crosshairs and no ADS - these muppets that play CoD and rely on aim assist, ADS, auto regeneration of health and multi-hits before death are going to get a real taste of what 'hardcore' gaming really is. I suspect some of them may end up in tears lololol. Unfortunately some of these muppets are reviewing games these days so I'm hoping they won't mark the game down for being too difficult lol.

Of course, me being a hardened (nearly) 41 year old veteran shouldn't have too many problems kicking some zombiefied arse...or could those be famous last words..? ;oP

Good to see that we get to wander about in a zombie infested Buckingham Palace, not very patriotic of me but I'm itching to kill the zombiefied Royal Family and corgis lol.

Yeah I like the absence of crosshairs too, hopefully that's not just a option and it's inherent to the game design because that could be cool. Making it take time to line up shots down the sights, as well as cherishing crowd control weapons like shotguns could make the experience pretty tense, if loot functions the way it should. Definitely looks like Day 1 for me.

Yesssss!!!!

You've been playing video games since 1971? I'm impressed!

edit: Oh, whoops, I read it as "41 year veteran"

edit: But I agree that aim assist is really dumb. It was nice back in the baby days of first person gaming, as with DOOM and Duke Nukem, but I think these a lot of gamers out there are afraid to grow up.

You've been playing video games since 1971? I'm impressed!

edit: Oh, whoops, I read it as "41 year veteran"

Not far off though lol. Used to go to the arcade when they only had Asteroids and Space Invaders and started gaming at home with Binatone Pong and the good old Atari VCS 2600 when it released over here in the UK. So I guess I've been gaming for around 35 years give or take.

I miss those days tbh, gaming was better being score-based without Hollywood plots and production values imo. :eek:(

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'd really like to see some developer, specifically for a survival type game, really invest in control and feel mechanics as they relate to physics. Like a realistic kickback recoil and how it affects the player characters' position and stability, especially while moving. Anybody who's shot a real weapon knows that it's not that easy to remain accurate while moving. Another thing is realistic velocity damage and how it realistically impacts soft tissue enemies and environments, could get extremely gory! An example would be, you shot a zombie in the head with a high caliber weapon and it's head realistically deforms and a chunk might bounce off the wall, spray the floor, get residue on the player. Ironically this type of realism might only be applicable for a zombie game... But for all the technology poured into fps this generation these real experiential enhancements haven't really been touched.

JordanN

Banned
Ah, that's cool Wii U is in Canada. I also wonder where the devs kits originate from. Whether it's from Ubisoft Toronto or Ubisoft Montreal/Quebec or if it's exported from France.

Not far off though lol. Used to go to the arcade when they only had Asteroids and Space Invaders and started gaming at home with Binatone Pong and the good old Atari VCS 2600 when it released over here in the UK. So I guess I've been gaming for around 35 years give or take.

I miss those days tbh, gaming was better being score-based without Hollywood plots and production values imo. :eek:(

Aye, "cinematic" games, titles which are basically movies with occasional, poorly inserted interactive sequences, feel as gimmicky to me as those movies where you pushed the buttons every now and then to change the course of the plot.

I'd really like to see some developer, specifically for a survival type game, really invest in control and feel mechanics as they relate to physics. Like a realistic kickback recoil and how it affects the player characters' position and stability, especially while moving. Anybody who's shot a real weapon knows that it's not that easy to remain accurate while moving. Another thing is realistic velocity damage and how it realistically impacts soft tissue enemies and environments, could get extremely gory! An example would be, you shot a zombie in the head with a high caliber weapon and it's head realistically deforms and a chunk might bounce off the wall, spray the floor, get residue on the player. Ironically this type of realism might only be applicable for a zombie game... But for all the technology poured into fps this generation these real experiential enhancements haven't really been touched.

Aye, I know that people complain about not being able to shoot while walking in Resident Evil 1-5, but I equally dislike having insanely pinpoint aim while running sideways in a modern or even historical first person shooter. How about make the games so that aim is great when you're stopped but shit when you're in motion? Then you actually have a tradeoff you have to decide between: Do you stop to shoot and conserve your bullets, or do you run and gun, wasting bullets massively but getting yourself from point to point quickly?

prag16

Banned
Aye, "cinematic" games, titles which are basically movies with occasional, poorly inserted interactive sequences, feel as gimmicky to me as those movies where you pushed the buttons every now and then to change the course of the plot.

That's the problem I have with games like the Uncharted series. The Last of Us looks to be the same type of crap. The Final Fantasy series has devolved into this sorta thing as of late too. :/

ArynCrinn

Banned
Aye, I know that people complain about not being able to shoot while walking in Resident Evil 1-5, but I equally dislike having insanely pinpoint aim while running sideways in a modern or even historical first person shooter. How about make the games so that aim is great when you're stopped but shit when you're in motion? Then you actually have a tradeoff you have to decide between: Do you stop to shoot and conserve your bullets, or do you run and gun, wasting bullets massively but getting yourself from point to point quickly?

Yeah, and to add to this, how the player character reacts to damage or blunt force. In most games you get a red directional indicator showing where the damage is coming from, but that's it. The player basically just shrugs off AK-47 fire and tanks through it, or hides behind a mailbox and eats a pringle and it all goes away.

Why not have the player realistically take damage, no healing whatsoever. Just a take no prisoners pure tactical experience, maybe even stealthy experience. If you get shot you either find a place to wrap of tourniquet or you bleed out and try to finish, or even suicide out as is common in games if the wound is bad enough. Imagine a sort of Binding of Isaac type fps survival game where the only goal is to fend off enemies and survive as long as possible. No healing, no health packs, no real story, just lootable Pringles and Spam (our sponsors) for inspiration, and a lot of practice and leaderboards and PvP for online play. That would be cool game.

jmizzal

How long can Nintendo get away with advertising something in stores that has no release date or not up for preorder?

I have never seen a product do that before lol

I say they start preorders very soon

How long can Nintendo get away with advertising something in stores that has no release date or not up for preorder?

I have never seen a product do that before lol

I say they start preorders very soon

Haha funny thing about that. I was at a mall in the suburbs today and when i went into the gamestop there was alot of commotion about the promotional materials in the store. Alot of people were wondering exactly what a wii u was and when they could get it, but the gamestop employees didn't know enough info to answer all their questions. I don't understand why nintendo would put the promo boxes in the store without concrete info about the product. It just leads to alot of confusion

Roo

So many games coming this Holiday season and next year :(
it's not healthy be guessing if this or that game will find its way to the console :(
Oh Nintendo why do you do this to us? 3:C

Earendil

I miss playing Unreal Tournament and headshotting someone with the sniper rifle who was falling off a ledge, while falling off a ledge myself. Without using the scope...

BD1

Banned
Haha funny thing about that. I was at a mall in the suburbs today and when i went into the gamestop there was alot of commotion about the promotional materials in the store. Alot of people were wondering exactly what a wii u was and when they could get it, but the gamestop employees didn't know enough info to answer all their questions. I don't understand why nintendo would put the promo boxes in the store without concrete info about the product. It just leads to alot of confusion

Part of me thinks NOA is probably shitting themselves while NCL dicks around. NCL has clearly decided they to keep Wii U on lock down. Meanwhile, there is a huge amount of pressure on Reggie and crew to deliver results this holiday, so they might be feeling the need to get the Wii U branding out now, since the console launches sometime in the next 4 months and NCL apparently doesn't care.

But then the other part of me remembers NOA is the same company that put together the brilliant "Which DS are you?" launch campaign for 3DS.

Comandr

Yeah, and to add to this, how the player character reacts to damage or blunt force. In most games you get a red directional indicator showing where the damage is coming from, but that's it. The player basically just shrugs off AK-47 fire and tanks through it, or hides behind a mailbox and eats a pringle and it all goes away.

Why not have the player realistically take damage, no healing whatsoever. Just a take no prisoners pure tactical experience, maybe even stealthy experience. If you get shot you either find a place to wrap of tourniquet or you bleed out and try to finish, or even suicide out as is common in games if the wound is bad enough. Imagine a sort of Binding of Isaac type fps survival game where the only goal is to fend off enemies and survive as long as possible. No healing, no health packs, no real story, just lootable Pringles and Spam (our sponsors) for inspiration, and a lot of practice and leaderboards and PvP for online play. That would be cool game.

Forgive me if I'm somewhat off base here, but you do realize that's largely the point of ZombiU? From what I have gathered, everything you describe is pretty much how the game will play.

Part of me thinks NOA is probably shitting themselves while NCL dicks around. NCL has clearly decided they to keep Wii U on lock down. Meanwhile, there is a huge amount of pressure on Reggie and crew to deliver results this holiday, so they might be feeling the need to get the Wii U branding out now, since the console launches sometime in the next 4 months and NCL apparently doesn't care.

But then the other part of me remembers NOA is the same company that put together the brilliant "Which DS are you?" launch campaign for 3DS.

What is this? Pictures or link?

Rösti;41028909 said:
Here's some potential Polish third party support from The Farm 51 Group:

Original excerpt (maybe someone here knows Polish and can provide a better translation than the one posted after this segment):

Translated excerpt (via Google Translate, but improved by me to best capability), interesting part in bold:

Source: http://d.iplsc.com/ebi/35773/Raport_IIQ_2012-08gotowy.pdf

That regarding Nintendo allowing only development of titles interesting for them is noteworthy. If the translation is somewhat accurate that is.

WOW, nice! :D

It's a remake called Painkiller: Hell & Damnation, Nordic announced it at E3.

Nordic has been very active on Wii, though not with the highest-quality efforts, but the majority of their support period was on Wii.

Recently they bought JoWood (or at least it's line-up). Hopefully they'll get Keen Games to make a Legend of Kay for Wii U. FireHazard was behind the DS game and it SUCKED!

Keen Games was previously Neon Studio, the makers of the first Kay game on PS2, they made Dawn of Discovery on Wii.

Jarsonot

I was just thinking that LAN play may be a lot easier with the Wii U if you can play the desired game on the gamepad. Don't need to lug a TV to friend's house, just the Wii U!

Hope that's a possibility.

Edit: aaaaand just saw the thread about this =)

jmizzal

Yea thats a big issue, it can loose sales, what if those people dont come back and just forget about it or just buy a PS3 or 360, or go to the Apple store and buy a Tablet.

You have to get that sale right then and there, I dont get why Nintendo will allow promos up without preorders being open.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Forgive me if I'm somewhat off base here, but you do realize that's largely the point of ZombiU? From what I have gathered, everything you describe is pretty much how the game will play.

I'm excited for it based on the perma-death and survival aspect. But what I was talking about in terms of realistic gun physics and realistic player damage and how that effects the gameplay I doubt will show up on ZombiU. I was more talking about "I was able to survive for a real-time 87 hours, on 5000 rounds and stealthy play, before succumbing to my wounds or the elements" type of thing.

AzaK

I was just thinking that LAN play may be a lot easier with the Wii U if you can play the desired game on the gamepad. Don't need to lug a TV to friend's house, just the Wii U!

Hope that's a possibility.

Edit: aaaaand just saw the thread about this =)
Interesting, although they would probably have a TV themselves. A similar thought that I had the other day was to plug in a 12V adapter and you can have gaming for the kids on long trips.

As mentioned by someone else I think it'd be great to have slight differences between the characters you play. Some slower, faster, some shorter to get into smaller places and things like that.

jerd

So I was just randomly thinking... Could a 3D Kirby game work? I don't really know how it would, but I also didn't think they could pull off Metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom