• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

What would prevent the retailers from knowing about it a week or two before? We're only talking a three week difference between an Oct. 28 launch and a Nov. 18 launch. If 6 weeks is too short but 9 weeks is A-Okay, then just tell them after Labor Day, and then it's ~8 weeks.

Yea im pretty sure retailers will know launch details before we do on the Sept 13th, they may learn about it the by the end of the month and start to put the info in their systems the week before the 13th, then hit submit when all is told.

DrNeroCF

My only question is what would Nintendo gain by giving developers a smaller revenue cut on digital eShop games than XBLA/PSN? Especially when every developer already prefers XBLA/PSN over WiiWare.

Edit: My question is targeted at those questioning the rumor.

Didn't stop Nintendo before...

Is anyone here thinking about selling their 360 and/or PS3 to get the WiiU? I've thought about it but my library of digital 360 games (many of which are unplayed) makes me want to hold off on that system and The Last of Us and Beyond make me want to hold off on the PS3. Selling both on Ebay along with the trade in credit I already have would easily cover the cost of the system. Heck if I sold the Vita as well and with some trade credit I already have and some extra money thrown in I could get start my Wii U collection off with a bang and grab all of the games I'm interested in (i.e. NintendoLand, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: AC, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Project P-100).

Nah. We can afford to buy a Wii U. Also, not sure if we will buy BOTH the 720 and PS4 next gen. If they're both over $399 and with the way developers are pushing multiplatform titles, the exclusives might lure us to only pick up one of those 2 next gen

Was thinking about having a giveaway for one on GAF during Xmas. To spread some Nintendo love. Not sure how that will turn out tho

Listening to the 8-4 podcast, they basicly confirm that DQ X won't launch with Wii U. That's to bad, because it could have been a big title in Japan and at the same time it could show the online capabillities according to them. But, afterwards they talk about having something else in Japan and they know Nintendo has some big stuff ready for Wii U.

At this point I'm wondering what it could be; sure, you'll automaticly turn to Capcom and Monster Hunter, but surely there are other titles that could sway Japan? A big Mussou game, maybe Yakuza? I don't know which (console) series could have a big enough impact on Wii U's launch, other than that certain Capcom IP.

I've said for a while now that a Nintendo and Capcom partnership bringing Nintendo Vs Capcom to the U would be a licence to print money for the pair of them. It would be a system seller in all territories, will sell a shitload and keep fighting game fans happy until the next Smash Bros. game is released.

I wouldn't get it myself cos I'm not too keen on the genre but the news of that if it happened would be huge. It would be a no-brainer for both parties to make it happen imo.

Bugger, I'm loads of pages behind yet again, must stop posting and catch up lol

This is NintenGAF when no 2013 Nintendo first party titles are announced at the Wii U Conference.

ir9p4KE5P1Rjz.gif

Hopefully that 70% gets larger.

If that's enough to garner quality 3rd party support over there, I'm content with whatever number they have.

Yeah, on Wii U, and staying on the 3DS (But that's kind of a given since theres 3G and 4 will be coming to 3DS) if they manage too keep Monster Hunter through the Wii U's life, the Wii U would be a guaranteed success in Japan.

Also, sorry for confusing you like 2 or 3 times :0

It's no problem as we finally got on the same page. :)

This is NintenGAF when no 2013 Nintendo first party titles are announced at the Wii U Conference.

ir9p4KE5P1Rjz.gif

I built myself up for E3 came out feeling really bad... never again
I am slowly putting my money on the side and waiting

It really does not matter anymore once this thing launches Nintendo finally enters HD as long as we don't look at other consoles and PC we can enjoy the major difference this will mean for Nintendo IPs - that is the only thing to be hyped about

that and the major GTA V exclusives :3

RedSwirl

I don't know her. But I think all she says about the Wii U eShop and the games on the service could be true. Explain how most indies developers are excited about the Wii U service. The best reason is probably what she says Nintendo is going to offer a bigger cut of the digital pie compared to other services.

She also says that Sega is planning to release XBLA/PSN games on the Wii U eShop. I think it's pratically a given to see this as well.

Give her a chance.

My question about this concerns exactly under what circumstances would they release the games. Most of Sega's XBLA/PSN outlet is oldschool games - games that would fall under Virtual Console jurisdiction on the Wii U. In fact, most of Sega's digital Genesis re-releases ARE on VC, they're just only in 480p with no online (some of the Genesis games on XBLA/PSN have online). The Dreamcast games would essentially mean Dreamcast Virtual Console which I was expecting anyway. What else does Sega have on XBLA/PSN? Virtua Fighter 5?

ir9p4KE5P1Rjz.gif

I don't think they are going to announce anything beyond this fiscal year (ending April 2013). Maybe which launch window games will come out in early 2013 instead of actual launch.

On the subject, the most critical time for the Wii U will probably be its second holiday season. Not only because that's when its competition will launch, but also because that's when most platforms hit their stride in terms of game library. Maybe it's a bit too early to speculate on what Nintendo or even third parties will try to have out for the Wii U at that time, but I'd at least expect that's when they plan to launch Mairo Kart Wii U.

That's Nintendo's last massive-selling game right now after NSMB and Wii Fit. Maybe whatever Retro's working on will come around at that time.

Is anyone here thinking about selling their 360 and/or PS3 to get the WiiU?

I have a Gamecube, so there's really no reason for me to keep my Wii (someone feel free to convince me otherwise).

This has got me thinking though; how is Nintendo going to handle Wii BC? If the console supports off screen play, will we just have to cope with games requiring motion controls being almost unplayable? Games with IR pointing or M+ would be impossible, but is there any chance at all that we will be able to map something like Mario's spin attack to another button? The thought of playing Galaxy in bed is probably giving me false hope. :/

EDIT:
On the subject, the most critical time for the Wii U will probably be its second holiday season. Not only because that's when its competition will launch, but also because that's when most platforms hit their stride in terms of game library. Maybe it's a bit too early to speculate on what Nintendo or even third parties will try to have out for the Wii U at that time, but I'd at least expect that's when they plan to launch Mairo Kart Wii U.

That's Nintendo's last massive-selling game right now after NSMB and Wii Fit. Maybe whatever Retro's working on will come around at that time.

Imo it's in the realm of possibility that by the end of 2013 we'll have Retro, EAD Tokyo, MK and Monolith. No, I don't think that having all four is extremely likely, but I think that at least Retro and EAD Tokyo are a sure thing.

Meelow's ghost said he will be haunting this thread up until his return and that he will take heed to warnings from those trying to look out for him.

Just skimmed the last few pages; with regard to the talk about "Japanese developers" are people talking about niche development or big budget development?

I.e. are people talking about the likes of Nippon Ichi Software and Idea Factory or SE and Capcom. If the latter, I can't see why they'd restrict themselves to any single platform and if anything they've turned towards the Western market as the domestic market has waned in importance.

And even with larger publishers' properties primarily targeted towards the Japanese market - while I can see an argument for Japanese developers to find a home on the Wii U too... I'm struggling to see why they'd restrict themselves to Wii U only (unless the PS4 completely bombs of course.)

I have a Gamecube, so there's really no reason for me to keep my Wii (someone feel free to convince me otherwise).

This has got me thinking though; how is Nintendo going to handle Wii BC? If the console supports off screen play, will we just have to cope with games requiring motion controls being almost unplayable? Games with IR pointing or M+ would be impossible, but is there any chance at all that we will be able to map something like Mario's spin attack to another button? The thought of playing Galaxy in bed is probably giving me false hope. :/
The Wii has some great Homebrew functions. You can also use GameCube controllers with some Wii games. This will be impossible with Wii U.

I'm pretty sure Wii U will just use Wii Remotes for Wii games. You can also theoretically use Wii Remotes with the GamePad to play Wii games on the GamePad.

Also, I should have privately messages Meelow as soon as he started posting in that thread. I was on a slow mobile device, though, so I decided against it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I thought this article on CVG (originally published in UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine) was interesting.

Nintendo Land: A Wii U classic in the making?

First impressions matter. So the fact Nintendo Land's debut felt like a combination of limp handshake and wet fart was intensely worrying. Nintendo Land should be exciting. It's a Ninty themepark with minigames based on their biggest names, but its E3 announcement consisted of a muddled explanation followed by a fireworks display packing all the oomph of a Nerf gun. Fuuurp.

But after our recent hands-on we're willing to admit that actually, and our face is as straight as a flagpole when we say this, Nintendo Land is brilliant.

Lots more at the link.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/364505/previews/nintendo-land-a-wii-u-classic-in-the-making/

NateDrake

Blimey, I wish journalists working in the gaming press had a clue what they're talking about:

Would he be saying the same thing if he was talking about the PC SKU which is also a port..? The visual differences are because they've made some effort and are using better textures, probably better AA and definitely v-synch.

Gamershub isn't exactly a great site when it comes to this type of stuff. Just look at the opening paragraph of their Sleeping Dogs review......

After being in development since 2009 by United Front Games and Activision and then canceled by Activision in 2011. The third installment of the True Crime series would never be. That was until Square Enix picked up the publishing rights and rebranded the name.

I thought this article on CVG (originally published in UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine) was interesting.

Nintendo Land: A Wii U classic in the making?

Lots more at the link.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/364505/previews/nintendo-land-a-wii-u-classic-in-the-making/

What the hell kind of introduction sentence is that for a game preview? Wet fart.....really......

Kacho

Gamershub isn't exactly a great site when it comes to this type of stuff. Just look at the opening paragraph of their Sleeping Dogs review......

What the hell kind of introduction sentence is that for a game preview? Wet fart.....really......

lol

It's true though. After it was revealed at E3 I was like really Nintendo? The fuck is this? Then I played it I realized just how awesome the game truly was.

Animal Crossing Sweet Day, guys. ANIMAL CROSSING SWEET DAY
so fun

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
it probably means something in olde english the brits speak over there. like how they call a flashlight a torch!

LOL. Nintendo Gamer always has a unique way of putting things. They're not afraid to say how it is. That's why I prefer them to the Official Nintendo Magazine.

RAWi

Well... people normally don't like their farts gettin wet =P

----

But, yeah. I think the games looks better than what everyone was saying and jerking after E3. It is a game I will buy, maybe not at launch but I will get it. Looks like a fun game to be played with friends.

Pineconn

I've said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again. The negative stigma associated with NintendoLand is because of all the hopes and dreams the game crushed. Nintendo ended their conference with a winded demonstration of a mini-game, and Reggie said (paraphrasing), "Let's take a look at one more........... scene of NintendoLand LOLOLOL." And then they showed fireworks. And then that was it.

/pain

So yeah, I really like what I see of NintendoLand. Still want it to be a pack-in, though.

Ryoku

I like Meelow. Pretty enthusiastic guy. He let others' opinions and their fanboyish behavior get to him, though. I did warn him a couple of times.

Anyways, howboutdatNintendoDirect? :DDDDDD

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I like Meelow. Pretty enthusiastic guy. He let others' opinions and their fanboyish behavior get to him, though. I did warn him a couple of times.

Anyways, howboutdatNintendoDirect? :DDDDDD

I know that we are suppose to get nintendo direct this month but I guess they postpone it until Sept.

Pineconn

Random thing. Has anyone noticed that when Meelow uses an exclamation point or question mark, it is always followed by a period?. <- Like that.

I've always wondered why that is, lol.

Obviously Meelow was talking about me guys.

Sorry you have to miss GAFing it up with us on crazy Nintendo day Meel.

I'll get drunk and uncooperative on the day in question fallen friend. But I will warn you from beyond the grave Meelow. Monkey's not getting banned ointment has gotten a few people banned before.

Yeah, on Wii U, and staying on the 3DS (But that's kind of a given since theres 3G and 4 will be coming to 3DS) if they manage too keep Monster Hunter through the Wii U's life, the Wii U would be a guaranteed success in Japan.

Also, sorry for confusing you like 2 or 3 times :0

Just having the console launch with a 2D Mario game with Dragon Quest X on the way will guarantee its success imo. That's why I'm 100% certain that one or two Megatons will be dropped over there at their traditional pre-TGS conference, including a Monster Hunter title of some description. It's going to fly off shelves over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom