• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewox

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_shrink#Half-shrink

Gamecube CPU/GPU - 180nm/180nm

Wii CPU/GPU - 90nm/90nm

Wii U CPU/GPU - 45nm/?

So far five out of the six components in their recent consoles have used a main node process with the GPU still unannounced. This is why I believe 32nm is the most likely as that would allow them to get their desired GPU as cool as possible within the available main nodes. And not announcing something like that (a 32nm GPU) screams Nintendo feeling they need to be secretive even though it's unnecessary. Also IBM started work on their 32nm eDRAM years ago.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/28428.wss

Ahaaaaa

And TSMC cancelled the 32nm node - that made me more sure of the Global Foundries, even tho AMD sold all of the stake, still there is some ties, and these deals probably we're made before the sale of the stake.

You know at which fabs previous nintendo GPUs were produced?

And blows, simultaneously.

Wii U is Boney?! :O

Ahaaaaa

And TSMC cancelled the 32nm node - that made me more sure of the Global Foundries, even tho AMD sold all of the stake, still there is some ties, and these deals probably we're made before the sale of the stake.

You know at which fabs previous nintendo GPUs were produced?

Well TSMC would have been irrelevant to this anyway IMO as I never would have expected Nintendo to use them. NEC handled it for GC and Wii.

Terrell

Marketing is important. Earlier you spoke how much Nintendo did to advertice Dragon Quest in west. Sure, bundles are mostly used for bigger games indeed, but it is still about 3rd party :)

The Dragon Quest situation isn't just about marketing. Square Enix was going to pass on Dragon Quest in the West, Nintendo stepped in and made that problem go away. Taking a game out of Japan that likely never would have made it otherwise isn't marketing.

I'm not really sure what you mean with nurturing 3rd parties when you ignore stuff like Playstation CAMP and everything else i mentioned about this. You mentioned like 5-6 games earlier where Nintendo did something for 3rd parties, and there are several of hundred 3rd party games. I could say that Nintendo hardly does anything based on this.

PlayStation CAMP nurtures brand-new indies, it doesn't do anything for the pre-existing talent in the industry who, let's be honest, haven't been doing so well recently. Everything else you mentioned is marketing of content that was already going to exist.

I think on this point we will have to agree to disagree, as I see something more substantial about throwing marketing money around versus bringing games to new regions, getting hands on with the teams and building up a relationship that exists beyond money.

You mean similar to when Genji bombed, Sony still hired Game Republic to make Folklore (or FolksSoul), Dark Mist and Toy Home?
By the way, i dont know if you saw my previous edit, but Game Republic made 11 games after Genji. I'm not sure if Genji was the main reason why they shut down in 2011.
Folklore was released a year after Genji. Development started before the Genji bomb, quite obviously. Unless a PS3 game only takes a year to make now.
And there have been a lot of studios that shut down this gen that kept making content to the very end, doesn't mean that their collapse wasn't forcast by their earlier bombs.

This seems to be more about multiplatform games. I dont doubt that there will be multiplatforms to begin with, but what about exclusives?
You can NEVER predict an exclusive, it's downright impossible. But will I say that 3rd-parties may be more inclined to do so? Yes, I will.

The PS3 and the Wii were both announced in mid 2005, i think this is the reason. We dont have a clue about PS4 and Xbox 720 at this point. We have the rumors, but they are rumors.
Saying "we're making the next console" and saying next to nothing about them is hardly an "announcement". Saying a new console is coming after MS already showed theirs is like saying "the moon is out, so the tides are coming in". We know as much factually about PS4 and Durango as we did about "Revolution" and PS3. The silence exists for a reason.

kitsuneyo

It is a bit more visceral than that, I think. He has openly admitted that he advised everyone to go in hard on Sony this generation, despite $599, because he prefers that company and that system on a personal level. When Nintendo started losing money ~5 years later, he saw it as vindication of his original thesis and allowed him "revenge" on everyone that questioned him.

Great advice! I wish Mr Pachter managed my stock portfolio!

(I also wish I had a stock portfolio)

I'm not sure of this has been answered, but does the WiiU game pad work as a classic controller for Wii games, or do I need to buy the new pro controller?

It has all the buttons so I hope so. I also hope that those Wii games playable with the CC will also be playable off-TV. But like you say this is not confirmed.

The_Lump

Banned
It's a combination of all of these. He looks all the info, then makes a guess based on what he knows combined with what he thinks should happen. There really is no other way to do this. As far as we know, people cannot actually tell the future. Everyone is just guessing.

Unfortunately (fortunately) that's not how it works. Market analysts and financial advisors base their advise on figures, research and genuine market knowledge. This guy doesn't and thusly he shouldn't consider himself an analyst and neither should anyone reporting on his statements. That is all.

Onwards to brighter topics; just hooked up my N64, PSOne, GC and Wii to an old tv - anyone know if you can pick up the digital cable for GC and a Scart/RGB adapter for N64 anywhere (UK)?

test_account

XP-39C²
The Dragon Quest situation isn't just about marketing. Square Enix was going to pass on Dragon Quest in the West, Nintendo stepped in and made that problem go away. Taking a game out of Japan that likely never would have made it otherwise isn't marketing.
Do you have any source to why they would drop Dragon Quest 9 in the west? Would be interesting to read. They gave out many Dragon Quest games in the west before. Seeing how popular the DS was all over the world, it seems strange to drop it in the west based of previous Dragon Quest releases.

PlayStation CAMP nurtures brand-new indies, it doesn't do anything for the pre-existing talent in the industry who, let's be honest, haven't been doing so well recently. Everything else you mentioned is marketing of content that was already going to exist.

I think on this point we will have to agree to disagree, as I see something more substantial about throwing marketing money around versus bringing games to new regions, getting hands on with the teams and building up a relationship that exists beyond money.
You talked about nurturing 3rd parties, everything is important to get people to develope for their system in that case. That is why stuff like Playstation CAMP is relevant to this point, in my opinion. And pre-excisting talent often gives out big games, so bundles and marketing is important here, especially when they're not doing so well.

But fair enough. The main reason why i asked you on this subject is because you said that Nintendo is the only company that nurture 3rd parties. I just wanted to point out that every company have 3rd party relation, making sure that the 3rd party relation/support is at a good level. If you think that Nintendo is the only company that does this, then we have to agree to disagree indeed. Fair enough about that :)

I still mean that the system itself is, and always will be, the most important thing when it comes to 3rd party support. No 3rd party will make a game for a system that they have very little confidence in because of friendship and good relation. That is a bad business decition. 3rd party relation can try to convince the 3rd parties to do otherwise, that is afterall a big part of the 3rd party relation guys' job. But unless deals are made, that can be very though i imagine. Going on relation alone isnt enough for getting software support.

Folklore was released a year after Genji. Development started before the Genji bomb, quite obviously. Unless a PS3 game only takes a year to make now.
And there have been a lot of studios that shut down this gen that kept making content to the very end, doesn't mean that their collapse wasn't forcast by their earlier bombs.
Sure, Folklore probably started developement before Genji was out. But it seems to me that you blame 100% the sales on these games because of the marketing. Generally speaking, marketing is important, but how the games are themself is even more important. The PS3 wasnt doing very hot in the begining either due to the high price, which limits the sales potential for games on the platform in general because fewer people own the system. And Folklore did get adverticed in Japan, even on TV. I'm not sure about Genji though.

Bombs that leads to collapse is usually caused by a long string of stuff. You said earlier that Genji essentially killed Game Republic. When Game Republic got hired for many projects after Genji and closed down in 2011, this shows that Genji (a game from 2006) didnt really have much to do with it. It is not a case like we saw with recent 38 Studios, going bankrupt because of one specific game (Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning). But even if this would have been case with Genji as well, this would still be one example from 2006. It doesnt really mean much to the situation today, 6 years later.

You can NEVER predict an exclusive, it's downright impossible. But will I say that 3rd-parties may be more inclined to do so? Yes, I will.
Sure, i didnt necessarily ment any specific games, just if you expected the big companies like Square Enix to make a big exclusive for WiiU.

Saying "we're making the next console" and saying next to nothing about them is hardly an "announcement". Saying a new console is coming after MS already showed theirs is like saying "the moon is out, so the tides are coming in". We know as much factually about PS4 and Durango as we did about "Revolution" and PS3. The silence exists for a reason.
It wasnt just "we're making the next console". It was at least a 1 hour presentation on PS3 at E3 2005, even giving out detailed hardware specs. Not just "CELL cpu", but specific details around it like clockspeed. It was the same with the GPU, they gave out specific details about that too.

Compared to now, we dont even know if the PS4 will be called the PS4. We know absolutely nothing official about it. That is why you only hear some very vague talk about that "next gen consoles" are a big leap from what we had before. That is all. I dont expect to hear talk about specific support for it because of this.

kitsuneyo

Onwards to brighter topics; just hooked up my N64, PSOne, GC and Wii to an old tv - anyone know if you can pick up the digital cable for GC and a Scart/RGB adapter for N64 anywhere (UK)?

You can get them cheap on eBay, but I'm pretty sure the UK N64 only supported composite and not RGB.

Hobohodo

Hey, got a quick ZombiU question and I imagine this thread will be the best one to get an answer from. To we have much word on multiplayer? Got a friend who would be interested in picking it up if its got CoOp

The_Lump

Banned
You can get them cheap on eBay, but I'm pretty sure the UK N64 only supported composite and not RGB.

Bollocks. Oh well, was hoping for something better. On the plus side the Wii looks great on a CRT :D

Messing about with old consoles has reminded me of Nintendo's previous love of expansion ports/sockets. I do hope they include some pointless and unused connectors on the underside of WiiU - for nostalgia's sake.

D-e-f-

Banned
Hey, got a quick ZombiU question and I imagine this thread will be the best one to get an answer from. To we have much word on multiplayer? Got a friend who would be interested in picking it up if its got CoOp

they haven't been talking about multiplayer aside from the asymmetric CTF mode where one player uses the gamepad to control the zombie spawns via a strategy-style top down view to hunt the other player who is using a pro controller, playing the game in regular FPS style. the FPS player has to go after the flag alone and can't see where the other player makes the zombies spawn.

pretty safe to say that this is not a co-op campaign game, totally wouldn't fit the design they're going for.

as for other modes, we just don't know.

there is the seamless online/miiverse integration that populates your world with the zombified versions of your friends though. if they die, they pop up in your game as zombies and you can hunt them down and loot their gear. no idea though if that only works when you're both playing at the same time and if you can effectively steal your buddy's loot and they lose it completely. they haven't spilled to many details on that.

Let's put the next one in General if you want some interesting discussion.

if by interesting you mean idiots poking the beehive then yea...

Banned
I was bored and decided to write my second ever rap song. It's about Nintendo and it's perception in the industry. Enjoy!

Nintendo Rap

Chorus: (2x)
Nintendo is so doomed
They'll be third party soon
Their reign won't last
They goin Dreamcast

Verse 1:
Yo, Nintendo is so doomed
they should be third party soon
they gonna fall like that moon
from Majora's Mask
The Wii U has a big task
of following the most successful Nintendo console of the past
their domination can't last
The hater's saying "there aren't enough shaders"
Fuck those haters
How can you judge a company
that came from a small nation
and brought us innovation
and inspired an entire generation
with classics such as Mario, Metroid, Zelda
and Donkey Kong, the list just goes on
Nintendo brings innovation
while Sony brings imitation
and Microsoft brings limitations
ya'll just keep on hating
while Nintendo keeps demonstrating
that games are meant for fun
not dudebro's shooting guns
But of course the fanboys will say

Nintendo is so doomed
Their reign won't last
They goin Dreamcast

Verse 2:
It's kinda bizarre
how these "anonymous" developers say
"Wii U is on par"
They haven't even seen it
and yet they're all ready beating it
These silly trolls are on a roll
the same trolls who said
"the Wii will fail"
oh Michael Pachter if you can see the Wii now
see how many console makers wanna be like it now
smashing sales records left and right
making your throat feel tight
with all your bullshit negativity
you're telling me ya scared B?
He said the 3DS would bomb
yet it's outselling Vita 5 to 1
that's bigger than ThunderMonkey's bum
Fanboys care about the graphics
their nothing but moving pics
it's like they got a bone to pic
they think they're big somethings
when really they're nothing
they're softer than fig muffins
stupid trolls go play your sixth Halo
your overrated Fable
go complain about how your sore
how motion controls is such a chore
You guys complain more than whores
And all they'll say is

Nintendo is so doomed
Their reign won't last
They goin Dreamcast

Verse 3:
Nintendo is hotter than Fire Flowers
fanboys are just sour
because Nintendo fans are counting down the hours
Rest in Peace, Nintendo Power
I'm sick of reading bullshit rumors every hour
and then they're taken as fact
the whole cycle is just wack
some of these people need a good smack
like Link doin his spin attack
Oh Jack Tretton, stop your panty wettin
don't push that eject button
It's not your fault Vita's lame
it's just that 3DS has games
fanboys always complain
because Nintendo isn't the same
The Wii U is going to launch like a savage
wreaking damage on your market share
like Nintendo just doesn't care
you'll scream out "no fair!"
You fans scream out "it's not next gen!"
and make fun of those who enjoy Nintendo
like they don't have a right
to enjoy what they like
you tell them "get out of my sight"
you can't stand it when Nintendo is in the limelight
You anonymous developers, trolls and fanboys
are just jealous the Wii U is making a lot of noise
you'll see come next gen
that you were just a bitter bunch
and you'll get owned like "FALCON PUNCH!!!"
but at the end of the day
we all know you'll still say

Nintendo is so doomed
Their reign won't last
They goin Dreamcast

Sadist

... ... ... ... ... ...

tumblr_m50h1fsbaW1qj3ir1.gif

Kacho

hey guys i was thinking about the real in the deal when i was having some family fun time party this afternoon. sometimes i wonder if transformers would have been better off after the g4 series but michael bay proved that wrong after long perpetual talk in my mind but then comes the time to thing about the wii u and all it encompasses with the real on the wii since it sold better than the other consoles at the end of the cycle

test_account

XP-39C²
I'VE PLAYED JUST ABOUT EVERY METROID GAME

Why.
How is the Miiverse thing going to work? Is it essentially match making with random people? It would be impossible to get everyone online at the same time there when we're talking about millions of users, and the picture shows way too many people being online at the same time if it is people on some friendslist.

How is the Miiverse thing going to work? Is it essentially match making with random people? It would be impossible to get everyone online at the same time there when we're talking about millions of users, and the picture shows way too many people being online at the same time if it is people on some friendslist.

I think Miiverse is a bit like Twitter. You'll see random people on your Miiverse screen, and they don't necessarily have to be online. They'll just go to the game they're playing, and if they've submitted a message about the game, it might appear on your screen.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think Miiverse is a bit like Twitter. You'll see random people on your Miiverse screen, and they don't necessarily have to be online. They'll just go to the game they're playing, and if they've submitted a message about the game, it might appear on your screen.
I see, that makes sense :) I wonder how it will work though, if it is like hash-tags on Twitter, like on game is one hash-tag, it could be tons of messages to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom