• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

I have one question: If Wii U is powerful enough to get all these "nerfed" ports from PS4/720 games... why the fuck is NSMB U running in 720p? If the Wii U can't even run that simple ass game in 1080p, I'm afraid to think of how the next gen games will run on the thing.

I remember hearing a response to that and they said it was developer choice.
My theories to why they would have made that choice are:

1. It's a 2D Mario game, it's not a graphic intensive game so 1080P would not even look that much different from 720P. It's not like Mario has or needs individual eye lashes or wrinkles under his eyes that we need 1080P to see.

Which kinda leads into number 2:

2. Nintendo has a lot of 1st party IP's that they know we want them to deliver on this new system. Why spend extra time worrying about 720P vs 1080P on a simple 2D Mario game when it doesn't add much of anything. They know we are screaming and whining for Zelda, Metroid, etc. No need to spend so much extra time on NSMBU when it's a simple launch game aimed to get systems out the door by saying "We have Mario at launch".

I don't want to say it's because their lazy, but I'm sure they just wanted to get 2D Mario done so they can start working on the Next big project.

3. It's a launch game and even though it's first party, maybe they still started so early they were on early dev kits and it was just easier this way.

4. This game is suppose to be the showcase game for marketing that you can play the game both on the TV and on the gamepad by itself. Perhaps if they went with 1080P, it might showcase a bigger difference that the gamepad vs what's on the tv would project to the customer and then they would get negative feedback from the press saying things like "gamepad view is ugly compared to what's on the tv". Keep the TV screen closer to what's on the gamepad like they did and we have already seen the press saying the Gamepad screen looks great.

5. It's a launch game, they are still getting use to the tech.

There's probably a thousand reason why they didn't go 1080P, that doesn't mean they couldn't.

LCGeek

formerly sane
To not have a simple platformer like that running at 1080 seems extremely lazy.

This is just an off comment. Whether a game looks great or not getting it to run a a resolution like that with no fps problems isn't just a flick of the switch. Steampowered forums have no shortage of pc performance topics talking about how crap things are at that resolution or less despite some games not needing the juice of say something like witcher, crysis, metro or other high end titles.

Crap ports that come late. Exactly proving my point which is the effort of these companies suck. SC was always better on xbox or on the pc. Ports that come out sometimes 6 months well after the games are released and were in some cases clearly inferior in the technical aspects or performance aspects compared to the original aer suppose to help a nintendo or the publisher releasing them, Bullshit!

Calling them of the same effort that the original versions received is equally bullshit.

Also despite the games you mentioned my point still applies to GTA, borderlands, and other titles mentioned have not been on a nintendo console and didn't even exist.

lets not talk about Resident evil and capcom waffling on GC/Wii despite actually getting the sales they wanted or need.

You wanna talk about facts lets go.

But that is not what you specified in your earlier argument. You said Nintendo consoles have never received these games. Then when I called you on that, you changed our argument to "They were crappy ports, which proves my point."

And even if that was your original argument that they were crappy ports, that still would not be valid reasoning to me because RE4 and Splinter Cell among others on GCN and Wii were not crappy ports. If you had used some modifiers in there, like the words usually or almost always, your argument would have been more cogent. But you didn't, and it isn't.

JAYinHD

Welcome to all the juniors who arrived lately, it's cool to have some fresh blood :)

Thanks, I've been lurking GAF even before the GameCube was released (Mario 128 demo) but it's nice to finally have a good conversation with some folks here. Cheers!

radcliff

Aren't you worried about the quality of cross platform games tho.

A console that is at worst 5 times weaker is really going to get poor looking versions and as time goes on in the generation and we reach the second half of it (2017 - 2020) i fear Wii U might get separate versions using different engines like the original Wii and eventually none at all.

While I believe Sony and MS are aiming for their next gen consoles to last until 2020 to recoup r&d costs slowly over a longer period of time, I think Nintendo may still be aiming for a more traditional 5-6 year plan. If this is ture, by the time we reach 2017, Nintendo will be getting ready to release their next console.

LCGeek

formerly sane
But that is not what you specified in your earlier argument. You said Nintendo consoles have never received these games. Then when I called you on that, you changed our argument to "They were crappy ports, which proves my point."

And even if that was your original argument that they were crappy ports, that still would not be valid reasoning to me because RE4 and Splinter Cell among others on GCN and Wii were not crappy ports. If you had used some modifiers in there, like the words usually or almost always, your argument would have been more cogent. But you didn't, and it isn't.

I hinted the history between nintendo and 3rd parties hasn't been pleasant ever, so before you reply anymore to my points realize that is the first major point I brung up. My point was a generalization about the whole of them 2 games vs the rest doesn't compute in my head since it was what it was. Considering the statement was about expectation and history I don't know what other modifiers could I use. You want to overreach my intentions go ahead do so not the first and not the last time people on gaf has done this.

My original statement was wedged between other big ones anyone reading the original quote can see.

My statement about them never showing up was in regards to how they were made not if they were made. I can't think of one playstation or xbox fan who isn't nuts who would trade 3rd party efforts of those systems for what nintendo fans get.

You're getting it wrong it has nothing to do with with crappy ports. This has to do with a a lot at neogaf who expect 3rd party efforts and the like to change as a whole when history especially the last 3 nintendo consoles have given plenty of ammo to show why it is unlikely to change.

D-e-f-

Banned
I feel like we're talking in circles in some (most? all?) of these cases.

Now we're having the "E3 demos weren't 60fps/1080p" debate again.

E3 demos do not represent the final software! If the game doesn't run in 1080/60 when it hits store shelves, THEN we can say that that's laughable or whatever. Games get polished in the last few months leading up to launch, not for E3 builds that represent the state of a game in around May of that year.

AzaK

This is just an off comment. Whether a game looks great or not getting it to run a a resolution like that with no fps problems isn't just a flick of the switch. Steampowered forums have no shortage of pc performance topics talking about how crap things are at that resolution or less despite some games not needing the juice of say something like witcher, crysis, metro or other high end titles.

I edited my post because I was half asleep when I replied. There are a million reasons why they might chose 720 over 1080 that are not to do with performance of the system. However I would have thought they would have wanted to show the game off at its best, and might have the game in 1080.

I hinted the history between nintendo and 3rd parties hasn't been pleasant ever, so before you reply anymore to my points realize that is the first major point I brung up. My point was a generalization about the whole of them 2 games vs the rest doesn't compute in my head since it was what it was. Considering the statement was about expectation and history I don't know what other modifiers could I use. You want to overreach my intentions go ahead do so not the first and not the last time people on gaf has done this.

My original statement was wedged between other big ones anyone reading the original quote can see.

My statement about them never showing up was in regards to how they were made not if they were made. I can't think of one playstation or xbox fan who isn't nuts who would trade 3rd party efforts of those systems for what nintendo fans get.

You're getting it wrong it has nothing to do with with crappy ports. This has to do with a a lot at neogaf who expect 3rd party efforts and the like to change as a whole when history especially the last 3 nintendo consoles have given plenty of ammo to show why it is unlikely to change.

It's whatever man, I have gleaned the whole of your argument and I understand it even if parts of it seem a little specious...all I really see here is a frustrated Nintendo fan who thinks that Wii U is going to be a big letdown. I am seeing a lot of that reaction lately after E3 here on GAF. I just disagree about jumping to that conclusion.

Ryoku

Hey, hey guys. PS4/Xbox3 will be 3-4x as powerful as Wii U. Optimistically, 4x.
PS360 were ~20x as powerful as the Wii. Let's put things into perspective here, shall we?
From what we know, Wii U should be able to get downports from PS4/Xbox3. It'll have all the modern features of a GPU, but--Why am I even trying?

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's whatever man, I have gleaned the whole of your argument and I understand it even if parts of it seem a little specious...all I really see here is a frustrated Nintendo fan who thinks that Wii U is going to be a big letdown. I am seeing a lot of that reaction lately after E3 here on GAF. I just disagree about jumping to that conclusion.

What not even close.

Frustrated yes but I have not once especially if you check my post history think that Wii or Wiiu will be a let down. I actually buy other consoles, arcade boards, and pc game quite a bit so cut that crap that will you get nowhere here.

WiiU will serve me like every other nintendo console has since n64. Nintendo titles mainly and if there are some gems by 3rd parties I will give them a chance. I have no expectation of good 3rd party relations, never have and never will doesn't mean I can't enjoy what else is there which is usually a few dozen products each generation.

Pragmatism and experience go a long way.

yeah I definitely see that. I have been dying to get into this thread to help combat some of this misinformation. I am sorry I could not chime in sooner. People have twisting facts around to suit whatever their arguments are. They have also been using the Wii time period as a template to define the entire history of Nintendo and it is really kind of disgusting. I think at least some of these posters are paid marketing trolls from MS and Sony. I am not going to name who I think they are because I am not entirely sure, but I think a few of them have been on here for a long time.

If you actually find that disgusting, I think you may be way too emotionally invested already. Why do you really care if some people twist facts about Nintendo? How does that affect you in anyway?

What not even close.

Frustrated yes but I have not once especially if you check my post history think that Wii or Wiiu will be a let down. I actually buy other consoles, arcade boards, and pc game quite a bit so cut that crap that will you get nowhere here.

WiiU will serve me like every other nintendo console has since n64. Nintendo titles mainly and if there are some gems by 3rd parties I will give them a chance. I have no expectation of good 3rd party relations, never have and never will doesn't mean I can't enjoy what else is there which is usually a few dozen products each generation.

Pragmatism and experience go a long way.

I hope you enjoy your Wii U and thanks for the sage advice. And here is some advice for you since we are doling it out. Go down to whatever University or college is nearest where you live and sign up for a logic class. It will help you construct your arguments much more cohesively in the future. You can then avoid falling into argument traps with the multiple fallacies, use of slippery slopes and ad homineums I have seen you use today.

If you actually find that disgusting, I think you may be way too emotionally invested already. Why do you really care if some people twist facts about Nintendo? How does that affect you in anyway?

I find dishonesty in all of it's forms disgusting. Whether it is intended or not. It does not have to be about Nintendo.

MDX

The site that shall not be named but whose news I love to read and comment under with the same username and avatar (long-winded much?^^), reports on an interview by gamekyo with some NoE dude named Stephen Bole who said the Wii U "could" launch with different SKUs (like Wiimote bundled-in in some cases).

Source link for all you frenchies out there :)
http://gamekyo.com/newsfr47379_3ds-xl-chargeur-entre-logique-et-economie.html

I hope so, there are enough people who dont need a WiiU bundled with Wiimotes.

USC-fan

Banned
Apophis. I've been saying that the whole time. And the CPU and memory were always a part of what I've said at least.

I've concluded that DX is the "Coke (Coca Cola)" of APIs. Just like some people call everything a Coke regardless of name, API features are classified as DX "insert number here" by most people regardless of what OpenGL version it may actually come from.

I thought I added this to my other post.

http://kotaku.com/5920931/the-wii-us-power-problem
Dx shows a certain feature set.

Again as I said many people take this quote to mean the wiiu support dx11 and it said nothing like that. He was talking about running ue4. There is no such thing as dx9/dx11 combo. Its clear the guy was trying to makeit easy for the readers to understand. Wuu supports dx10.1.

Dx11 is the new gpgpu... lol too funny.

Effect

The site that shall not be named but whose news I love to read and comment under with the same username and avatar (long-winded much?^^), reports on an interview by gamekyo with some NoE dude named Stephen Bole who said the Wii U "could" launch with different SKUs (like Wiimote bundled-in in some cases).

Source link for all you frenchies out there :)
http://gamekyo.com/newsfr47379_3ds-xl-chargeur-entre-logique-et-economie.html

You can say the name. Don't think that's an issue. Just be careful about using it and only it as a source. There was a great post in one of the other threads explaining NeoGaf's stance on the site and why it's "bannedish". Or just ignore it all together and just post the actual source without any talk about where you originally found it.

Edit: Here's the post by EatChildren. http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37571607&postcount=1001

snesfreak

Banned

Again as I said many people take this quote to mean the wiiu support dx11 and it said nothing like that. He was talking about running ue4. There is no such thing as dx9/dx11 combo. Its clear the guy was trying to makeit easy for the readers to understand. Wuu supports dx10.1.

This post... lol too funny.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I hope you enjoy your Wii U and thanks for the sage advice. And here is some advice for you since we are doling it out. Go down to whatever University or college is nearest where you live and sign up for a logic class. It will help you construct your arguments much more cohesively in the future. You can then avoid falling into argument traps with the multiple fallacies, use of slippery slopes and ad homineums I have seen you use today.

Before talking fallacies and the like to me look up reading comprehension. Wasn't arguing anything just had junior overreach something implied when I wasn't being specific but generalizing the behavior of various companies for the last few generations. Also if you want to call my stuff slippery slope that requires a set of delusions ignoring how nintendo and 3rd parties have gotten along since their first console.

stupidvillager

Neo Member

Then why didnt he just say DX10.1? Thats not trying to make it easy for readers. We've heard that it is a modern GPU with modern features. Thats all it needs. Anyways DX11 is from 2009. Why would the Wii U not the features of DX11. AMD was doing it before microsoft was.

I edited my post because I was half asleep when I replied. There are a million reasons why they might chose 720 over 1080 that are not to do with performance of the system. However I would have thought they would have wanted to show the game off at its best, and might have the game in 1080.

I think me and you will be two of the only people not extremely disappointed when the console launches because of our low expectations lol.

NSMB U and Nintendo Land not being able to run at 1080p / 60 fps even in demo form tells you everything you need to know about the power of the console tbh.

If Nintendo were truly serious about going after the 'core' gamer they would have moved heaven and Earth to get at least standard ports of some of the massive triple A multiplatform games i mentioned that are out in late 2012 / first half of 2013.

They should have walked on that stage after the mehness of the MS and to a lesser extent Sony's conferences and after the Pikmin 3 reveal and controller introduction video had a showreel of games including Blops 2, WWE 13, MoH 2, Fifa 13, Madden 13 and AC 3 at the very least !.

The core gamers would have sat up and taken notice fast, not 10 mins dedicated to bloody Arkham City followed by a video compilation of ME3, Scribblenaughts, TANK TANK TANK and Ninja Gaiden 3...

A few of the new posters seem to be EXTREME Nintendo fanboys if im honest, i love Nintendo as much as the next fan, i have owned every system since the NES and they are by far my fav company out of the big three but come on, anyone that dares critisise them is now being put on ignore and ganged up on.

When the Wii U shows me a game that i can say 'ok thats not possible on PS360' i will be extatic and believe that it is indeed more powerful than those systems but it has not, and when we see some big name multi platform games excluding AC3 i will then maybe take it a bit more seriously regarding third party support.

As it stands i will be buying it for exclusives.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
USC-fan,

Wouldn't Nintendo need to make sure the Wii U had a DX11 feature set if they wanted the system to be able to run ports from the Xbox720 & PS4?

Before talking fallacies and the like to me look up reading comprehension. Wasn't arguing anything just had junior overreach something implied when I wasn't being specific but generalizing the behavior of various companies for the last few generations. Also if you want to call my stuff slippery slope that requires a set of delusions ignoring how nintendo and 3rd parties have gotten along since their first console.

You were being specific. Quit acting like you weren't just to save face. The word never is quite specific where I come from. And making a list of games to bolster the use of the word never is quite specific as well.

And I can read just fine thank you. When I was in the 2nd grade my reading comprehension was tested and it was at a college level. Also, that was a nice touch playing that junior card.

ozfunghi

Do you even read?

"They consider the Wii U close to that DX9-performance/DX11-capabilities combo"

DX9-performance
DX11-capabilities

Everybody here knows DX is a feature set.

Jesus christ.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Almost as funny as seeing you running around shouting 'Wuu is dx10.1' based on nothing but some absolutely rudimentary R700 ballpark-level specs from a preliminary spec sheet which says nothing about the shader model or dx10.1 compliance.

LCGeek

formerly sane
You were being specific. Quit acting like you weren't just to save face. The word never is quite specific where I come from.

And I can read just fine thank you. When I was in the 2nd grade my reading comprehension was tested and it was at a college level. Also, that was a nice touch playing that junior card.

At least you can give credit where it's due.

Yes I was being specific but not in the way you thought I was so keeping hanging yourself on that. If you think on a forum like this I just meant that in absolute terms I'm laughing at the arguments you will face with others that will probably disgust you even more. Again you keep focusing when I wasn't and well this is the result.

Learn to take a joke if you think you can come at me like that and not have it thrown back, don't start none won't be none.

At least you can give credit where it's due.

Yes I was being specific but not in the way you thought I was so keeping hanging yourself on that. If you think on a forum like this I just meant that in absolute terms I'm laughing at the arguments you will face with others that will probably disgust you even more. Again you keep focusing when I wasn't and well this is the result.

Learn to take a joke if you think you can come at me like that and not have it thrown back, don't start none won't be none.

Did you ever see Dodge Ball? Remember this scene?

Lefleur: "that's what I just said"

Goodman: that's what I"m sayin to you.

Lefleur: I don't really know where we are going with this.

Goodman: Touche!

Anyway, that's where I feel like we have come to reside at in our argument. If I could find a GIF of that I would put it up here, but barring that, I think we have exhausted this line of debate for today.

No it doesn't.

I think it does, PS3 could prob run NSMB U / Nintendo Land at 1080p / 60 fps (Wipeout HD), it is worrying about the true power of the console.

I think it's 30% more powerful than this gen but most of that extra power is taken up by displaying a second image on the controller.

Again i would be happy with PS3 exclusive level graphics for Nintendo s big exclusive games in HD :).

snesfreak

Banned
I think it does, PS3 could prob run NSMB U / Nintendo Land at 1080p / 60 fps (Wipeout HD), it is worrying about the true power of the console.

I think it's 30% more powerful than this gen but most of that extra power is taken up by displaying a second image on the controller.

Again i would be happy with PS3 exclusive level graphics for Nintendo s big exclusive games in HD :).
It says nothing about the power of the system.
You know this, you're just being intentionally pessimistic.

It says nothing about the power of the system.
You know this, you're just being intentionally pessimistic.

Im only being pessimistic because of what Nintendo has shown at it's latest event.

After E3 2011, the Zelda and Bird tech demos i was buzzing and really excited about the console, after E3 2012 and what seemed to me to be more Wii 2 (NSMB U, Wii U Fit, Nintendo Land, Scribblenaughts) than a truly next gen Nintendo console and none of the big exclusive games shown or very many big third party games do you really blame people for being pessimistic ?.

I think the massive drop off in the popularity of these threads says it all...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Im only being pessimistic because of what Nintendo has shown at it's latest event.

After E3 2011, the Zelda and Bird tech demos i was buzzing and really excited about the console, after E3 2012 and what seemed to me to be more Wii 2 (NSMB U, Wii U Fit, Nintendo Land, Scribblenaughts) than a truly next gen Nintendo console and none of the big exclusive games shown or very many big third party games do you really blame people for being pessimistic ?.

You are not making much sense. I would settle it down a bit.

Couldn't that just mean there is nothing really newsworthy going on right now?

Ryoku

NSMB U and Nintendo Land not being able to run at 1080p / 60 fps even in demo form tells you everything you need to know about the power of the console tbh.

Just like how Rayman Origins running at a native 540p on Xbox360 should tell you everything you need to know about the power of the console.

snesfreak

Banned

You're being irrationally pessimistic.

Penguin

I just assumed it was the move to Community... even WUST 6 or 7.. slowed to a crawl once it moved here.

Just like how Rayman Origins running at a native 540p on Xbox360 should tell you everything you need to know about the power of the console.

Isn't Wii U ment to be a 'next gen' console tho ?, i would assume it would run games at a better resolution as standard, doesn't look that way for AC 3, Batman, Ninja Gaiden or ME3 tho does it.

D-e-f-

Banned
You can say the name. Don't think that's an issue. Just be careful about using it and only it as a source. There was a great post in one of the other threads explaining NeoGaf's stance on the site and why it's "bannedish". Or just ignore it all together and just post the actual source without any talk about where you originally found it.

Edit: Here's the post by EatChildren. http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37571607&postcount=1001

thanks for looking out for us newbies :)

I had read EC's post back then. I just like the idea of GoN being this mysterious site. Makes it kinda cool ...and I still wanna give credit to where I heard about it! ;)

StevieP

Banned

I remember reading the same long ago, but... Source?

Isn't Wii U ment to be a 'next gen' console tho

It is. Just as the Wii was part of the 7th generation of consoles.

zoukka

Isn't Wii U ment to be a 'next gen' console tho ?, i would assume it would run games at a better resolution as standard, doesn't look that way for AC 3, Batman, Ninja Gaiden or ME3 tho does it.

You're in for a rude awakening with all three next gen consoles.

Roman

Or maybe you're being irrationally optimistic.

The difference is im basing my views on things Nintendo have shown and not rumours, speculation and 'insiders' info like you...

The Wii U has an incredibly strong launch lineup and Nintendo has proven time and time again that they show off big new announcements that matter to their core audience during Nintendo Direct.

Everything you have seen so far is launch games and the 4 month period following that.

You have seen nothing past Q1 of 2013. What are you even trying to argue? That there won't be any big titles from Nintendo in 2013? Do you have any basis for that?

Ryoku

Am i indeed scary face ;).

Pity i will be playing 80% of games (multi platform) on my gaming rig at 1080p native / 60 fps ;).

Good god, then why are you complaining abo--whatever, man. I, too, will be playing most multiplats on PC, but the Wii U isn't an underpowered hunk of metal like some of you on this forum are trying to make it out to be. Wii U is in its infancy. Note how games like GUN do not represent the Xbox 360's power. It was a launch game.

JordanN

Banned
You know something I don't get about people who say Wii U = PS3/360 or less? If Nintendo wanted a weak ass system, why the hell are they bothering with R700 and POWER7?

Why not go with some mobile processors instead which cost far less and get the job done?

It's like Nintendo is making the effort to go next gen and not next gen at the same time. =/

The Wii U has an incredibly strong launch lineup and Nintendo has proven time and time again that they show off big new announcements that matter to their core audience during Nintendo Direct.

Everything you have seen so far is launch games and the 4 month period following that.

You have seen nothing past Q1 of 2013. What are you even trying to argue? That there won't be any big titles from Nintendo in 2013? Do you have any basis for that?

That's strange because Reggie said he considers the launch window to be 4 months, which means if Wii U launches in late November, it could only have NSMB U as it's big exclusive launch game and ZombiU, Pikmin 3 and Project P-100 could all be out as late as March 2013.

Some launch line up...

StevieP

Banned
You know something I don't get about people who say Wii U = PS3/360 or less? If Nintendo wanted a weak ass system, why the hell are they bothering with R700 and POWER7?

Why not go with some mobile processors instead which cost far less and get the job done?

It's like Nintendo is making the effort to go next gen and not next gen at the same time. =/

There are mobile variants of the r700 architecture (though I'm not saying Wii U will be using binned parts obviously lol). However the Wii U CPU is probably more akin to an IBM Embedded line than it is a server CPU (i.e. no Power 7).

Who says they are doing that ?, the official specs are -

CPU -

IBM PowerⓇ-based multi-core processor.

GPU -

AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.

Don't listen to 'insiders', leaks or speculation, funny how these 'insiders' have gone extremely quiet after Nintendo's showing at E3 lol.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Go Nintendo translated into StarFox Adventures language is "We Dadkodte". We should start referring to the site as that. (The mods will never catch on.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom