• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snesfreak

Banned
Who says they are doing that ?, the official specs are -

CPU -

IBM PowerⓇ-based multi-core processor.

GPU -

AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.

Don't listen to 'insiders', leaks or speculation, funny how these 'insiders' have gone extremely quiet after Nintendo's showing at E3 lol.
Yeah, don't listen to people with actual information.
Listen to the guy who thinks NSMB is an indication of the system's power.

JordanN

Banned
There are mobile variants of the r700 architecture (though I'm not saying Wii U will be using binned parts obviously lol). However the Wii U CPU is probably more akin to an IBM Embedded line than it is a server CPU (i.e. no Power 7).
Well we already know it takes lineage from POWER7 and that's a fact. To what extent outside of edram, who knows.

But again, that seems like "overkill" for a system that only wants to play Perfect Dark Zero level graphics. =/

D-e-f-

Banned
Isn't Wii U ment to be a 'next gen' console tho ?, i would assume it would run games at a better resolution as standard, doesn't look that way for AC 3, Batman, Ninja Gaiden or ME3 tho does it.

Or maybe you're being irrationally optimistic.

The difference is im basing my views on things Nintendo have shown and not rumours, speculation and 'insiders' info like you...

I find it odd that you seem to make absolute judgments about the capabilities of the system based off unfinished E3 demos and ports of games that weren't originally intended for this architecture.

That's like when you're baking a cake, throw all the ingredients as they are into a bowl, dive in with a spoon and taste what you got and then go on saying "that cake doesn't taste good".

Premature, unreasonable judgment.

You've seen early, unpolished builds of new software and quickly thrown together ports.

Yeah, don't listen to people with actual information.
Listen to the guy who thinks NSMB is an indication of the system's power.

The same guys with 'actual information' that said the Zelda tech demo was nothing compared to what Wii U could really achieve ? as it was built in two months on the very first version of the devkit, that maybe true but until i see games that actually do it im not convinced.

I have so far seen ports of PS360 games, ports of PSN / XBL / Steam games, Wii HD looking games (NSMB U, Wii Fit U), two games which imo would run on current gen systems with no problems (Project P-100 and ZombiU) and of course the best by far but still not graphically impressive Pikmin 3.

They might well show Zelda, Metroid, 3D Mario, Smash Bros and Starfox at E3 2013 and i will be blown away, i really hope i am but from what i have seen of Wii U so far it really looks like the 'Wii HD'.

Im sorry if that upsets some people but that is my opinion.

I will let you get on with picking apart every single detail until launch, i really hope you all enjoy the console and it is all you hope it is.

Cheers :).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The same guys with 'actual information' that said the Zelda tech demo was nothing compared to what Wii U could really achieve ? as it was built in two months on the very first version of the devkit, that maybe true but until i see games that actually do it im not convinced.

I have so far seen ports of PS360 games, ports of PSN / XBL / Steam games, Wii HD looking games (NSMB U, Wii Fit U), two games which imo would run on current gen systems with no problems (Project P-100 and ZombiU) and of course the best by far but still not graphically impressive Pikmin 3.

They might well show Zelda, Metroid, 3D Mario, Smash Bros and Starfox at E3 2013 and i will be blown away, i really hope i am but from what i have seen of Wii U so far it really looks like the 'Wii HD'.

Im sorry if that upsets some people but that is my opinion.

I will let you get on with picking apart every single detail until launch, i really hope you all enjoy the console and it is all you hope it is.

Cheers :).
4 / 10 charred porkchops

USC-fan

Banned
Here is the logic taken so far.

"Cpu is weak" Well that means the gpu must be a beast.
We have leaked compute shader support. This must mean gpgpu is in the wiiu.
R700 supports compute shaders and doesnt run this well at all. Well this means it isnt a r700 base anymore.
Close to dx9/dx11 combo in an article about the wiiu being under power. this means the wiiu supports dx11.

I mean really has no one learn a thing from e3? Why keep going down this road?

This reckless posting is building up HUGE expectation about the wiiu power. Just like before E3.

Then why didnt he just say DX10.1? Thats not trying to make it easy for readers. We've heard that it is a modern GPU with modern features. Thats all it needs. Anyways DX11 is from 2009. Why would the Wii U not the features of DX11. AMD was doing it before microsoft was.
He was talking about EU4. It wont included dx11 because they dont need it in the wiiu. They will not be using DX in developing games.

The dx11 just gives us an idea of a feature set of a card. Nothing more... We have know for a long time that its kits were based off of r700. People just thorw this info away because the leak that the cpu was leak and now pushing this compute shader. Based off even crazier coments.
USC-fan,

Wouldn't Nintendo need to make sure the Wii U had a DX11 feature set if they wanted the system to be able to run ports from the Xbox720 & PS4?
No they will not use DX11 in wiiu.

Do you even read?

"They consider the Wii U close to that DX9-performance/DX11-capabilities combo"

DX9-performance
DX11-capabilities

Everybody here knows DX is a feature set.

Jesus christ.
Wiiu is "close to" If it was dx11 why not say its dx11. the wording is not that...

Again we have known for a long time its based off a r700 10.1 dx card.

Almost as funny as seeing you running around shouting 'Wuu is dx10.1' based on nothing but some absolutely rudimentary R700 ballpark-level specs from a preliminary spec sheet which says nothing about the shader model or dx10.1 compliance.
Every leak specs have match perfectly to the r700. Even down the compute shader support that people thought it meant a gpgpu in thw wiiu.

Firest0rm

Who says they are doing that ?, the official specs are -

CPU -

IBM PowerⓇ-based multi-core processor.

GPU -

AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.

Don't listen to 'insiders', leaks or speculation, funny how these 'insiders' have gone extremely quiet after Nintendo's showing at E3 lol.

Which insiders went quiet?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I made a thread about the Cannes IDEF event when some representatives of the industry like Stephane Bole of Nintendo France come to present their new products. He was interviewed about the lack of AC adapter for the 3DS XL, and hinted that this scenario could happen again for the Wii U

"There are 200 million Wiimotes in the world," says Stephan Bole. "This is something you must consider before deciding which devices will be sold with the console."

This statement was made just after justifying why the AC adapter will be sold separately for the 3DS XL.

JordanN

Banned
USC-fan,

Wouldn't Nintendo need to make sure the Wii U had a DX11 feature set if they wanted the system to be able to run ports from the Xbox720 & PS4?

I would just like to add DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10.1. You can go down to HLSL 4.1 but you can't go up.

I've seen engines that use DX11 but are compatible with DX10.1. Certain features are just disabled.

blu

Every leak specs have match perfectly to the r700. Even down the compute shader support that people thought it meant a gpgpu in thw wiiu.
Care to back that up with, erm, a link? Because apparently you've seen something that I have not.

Azure J

Someone please explain to me what the hell is going on in here now? I swear, you go off to actually play games and suddenly the sky is falling... Again. :lol

Anth0ny

Someone please explain to me what the hell is going on in here now? I swear, you go off to actually play games and suddenly the sky is falling... Again. :lol

Wii U is actually really damn powerful. Nintendo just chose to show us dogshit at E3. That's not what it's really capable of. Wii U is totally gonna get all the PS4/720 third party ports and they're gonna look good.

To think otherwise... well, you just don't know what you're talking about. Obviously you aren't following the INDUSTRY SOURCES.

blu

Great. Now please, be so kind as to point out where in the leaked document the part's shader model/ISA is discussed. We can even turn that into a little game - you quote U-GPU ISA features, and I, in return, can serve as your reference guide to the r700 ISA. Once we do that, we can move on to dx version compliance.

TunaLover

I think it does, PS3 could prob run NSMB U / Nintendo Land at 1080p / 60 fps (Wipeout HD), it is worrying about the true power of the console.

If PS3 is able to do that then why Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden 3 and AC3 run with v-sync activated while its counterparts don't?

We don't know about how the development progress in NSMB U was, it could be perfectly possible that the game was developed with early dev. kits, or they locked the resolution at 720p to speed up it for launch release.

AzaK

So weird. So are they saying "We don't want new customers".

We all know that if a controller isn't packaged in a system by default, that it doesn't really get the uptake it needs to work. I realise that the Wii U will have the GamePad in it but if Nintendo is so dead set on this assymetric gameplay idea, having someone have to buy another Wii Remote at launch, or worse get home to realise they need one to play Nintendo Land - would suck.

Maybe this would be a reason they wouldn't package NL with the console. When people go to buy NL, they'll see that it will require Wii Remotes on the box, or from the sales person. Including it in the box might cause customer problems.

USC-fan

Banned
Great. Now please, be so kind as to point out where in the leaked document the part's shader model/ISA is discussed. We can even turn that into a little game - you quote U-GPU ISA features, and I, in return, can serve as your reference guide to the r700 ISA. Once we do that, we can move on to dx version compliance.

Hurry change the topic. Loving it... Next you will want clock speeds and stuff no one knows about. At least it havent been leaked...

I dont need you to do anything for me. thanks for playing...

blu

Hurry change the topic. Loving it... Next you will want clock speeds and stuff no one knows about. At least it havent been leaked...

Ahh, going home with the ball already? You no fun. And I thought we could play.

snesfreak

Banned

GetYoPopcornReady.gif

donny2112

Or maybe you're being irrationally optimistic.

Or you're perceiving people as being irrationally optimistic, so you're being irrationally pessimistic to try to counter-balance your perceptions of other people. Then, those of us who just read what's there without getting fairy-tail visions of PS480 power from the Wii U just get really annoyed at the super-pessimism that is equally unrealistic as the super-optimism.

The same guys with 'actual information' that said the Zelda tech demo was nothing compared to what Wii U could really achieve ?

You mean Epic, right? They said they could rig up a demo way better than Zelda on the Wii U with UE3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-12-epic-vp-id-be-shocked-if-wii-u-doesnt-do-well

stupidvillager

Neo Member
Here is the logic taken so far.

"Cpu is weak" Well that means the gpu must be a beast.
We have leaked compute shader support. This must mean gpgpu is in the wiiu.
R700 supports compute shaders and doesnt run this well at all. Well this means it isnt a r700 base anymore.
Close to dx9/dx11 combo in an article about the wiiu being under power. this means the wiiu supports dx11.

I mean really has no one learn a thing from e3? Why keep going down this road?

This reckless posting is building up HUGE expectation about the wiiu power. Just like before E3.

He was talking about EU4. It wont included dx11 because they dont need it in the wiiu. They will not be using DX in developing games.

The dx11 just gives us an idea of a feature set of a card. Nothing more... We have know for a long time that its kits were based off of r700. People just thorw this info away because the leak that the cpu was leak and now pushing this compute shader. Based off even crazier coments.

No they will not use DX11 in wiiu.

Wiiu is "close to" If it was dx11 why not say its dx11. the wording is not that...

Again we have known for a long time its based off a r700 10.1 dx card.

What to you would make it a DX11 feature set? People arent just going off of the weak cpu/compute shader support/more powerful gpu rumors. There have been people that have said that nintendo is trying to offload some of the cpu work onto the gpu. Now whether or not these posters actually have connections to know that is another story, but apparently they do. Even the if they say the cpu is weaker, they just may not be using it properly. A r700 can do everything it needs to do, at least according to the spec sheet you love, it has compute support and tessellation, plus I'm sure it has many other functions not listed. To keep coming back to "based on a r700" is pointless.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
*watching XPlay do a piece on wii u vs xbox smart glass*

Summary:

XPlay: smart glass steals wii u thunder; guests: we disagree, smart glass not really for games

XPlay: wii u should be priced at $99; guests: $299 is the most they can sell it at

XPlay & Guests: wii u is still very confusing. What will we use the gamepad for?

USC-fan

Banned
What to you would make it a DX11 feature set? People arent just going off of the weak cpu/compute shader support/more powerful gpu rumors. There have been people that have said that nintendo is trying to offload some of the cpu work onto the gpu. Now whether or not these posters actually have connections to know that is another story, but apparently they do. Even the if they say the cpu is weaker, they just may not be using it properly. A r700 can do everything it needs to do, at least according to the spec sheet you love, it has compute support and tessellation, plus I'm sure it has many other functions not listed. To keep coming back to "based on a r700" is pointless.

THis is what I'm talking about..... It like a snowball...

"People that have said that nitendo is trying to offload some of the cpu work onto the gpu."

They never said anything like this.... This is how the rumor started and I have already posted this a couple pages ago.

-------

"Oh I know how it got "started" Im on beyond3d every day. Some people read things they dont understand and spin it into something its not.

"There are several reasons why people are concluding that the Wii U has a GPGPU:

1) Prophesy2k's post stated that the GPU has compute support

2) The "leaked" document of Wii U's dev kit stated "compute shader support." Other insiders has said that several pieces in this document matches the info that they have seen before.

3) The first two pieces of evidences are backed up by the anonymous developers that was complaining about the CPU. One of them even said "I suppose you don’t need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game." This info would make sense if the Wii U's GPU was suppose to handle physics instead of the CPU. If this is the case, the Wii U has a GPGPU."

----

They read into a dev saying "I suppose you don’t need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game." when complaining about the weak CPU. This in turn confirm the gpgpu. It really is mind boggling how these things gets twisted.

Now when it comes out the wiiu doesnt support these crazy thing. People use this to prove the wiiu sucks and is doomed. When it should never have been put out there. You are right about one thing, this is pointless....

Azure J

Basically everyone has an agenda here.

Seems so. Sad.

Gotta admit though, blu has been on fire the last few responses. I'd love to know more about the games myself, I kinda hope Wii U will have a good time with platformers and action adventure games. I also hope that there'll be a good flagship fighter from Capcom on the system I can spend unhealthy amounts of time thinking about.

Dakstalkers 4 pls.

Anth0ny

Seems so. Sad.

Gotta admit though, blu has been on fire the last few responses. I'd love to know more about the games myself, I kinda hope Wii U will have a good time with platformers and action adventure games. I also hope that there'll be a good flagship fighter from Capcom on the system I can spend unhealthy amounts of time thinking about.

Dakstalkers 4 pls.

TVC2!

japtor

Well we already know it takes lineage from POWER7 and that's a fact. To what extent outside of edram, who knows.

But again, that seems like "overkill" for a system that only wants to play Perfect Dark Zero level graphics. =/
Lineage doesn't necessarily mean much...most parts take lineage from earlier parts in one form or another, sometimes the result is minor differences and other times you end up with something completely different.
So weird. So are they saying "We don't want new customers".

We all know that if a controller isn't packaged in a system by default, that it doesn't really get the uptake it needs to work. I realise that the Wii U will have the GamePad in it but if Nintendo is so dead set on this assymetric gameplay idea, having someone have to buy another Wii Remote at launch, or worse get home to realise they need one to play Nintendo Land - would suck.

Maybe this would be a reason they wouldn't package NL with the console. When people go to buy NL, they'll see that it will require Wii Remotes on the box, or from the sales person. Including it in the box might cause customer problems.
I'm thinking if it's not a pack in it'll be like Wii Play and come in a controller bundle.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Can I have an update on what's been going on since the beginning of the week?

Also, finally bought SMG2, and it's been heartbreakingly perfect. For some reason it just leaves a better impression than the first, did anyone else find that?

D-e-f-

Banned
So, to get away from arguing over speculative assessments, on a scale from 1 to oh-fo-shizzle!, how much do you guys want to see a flourishing landscape of big-name and smaller/indie devs making interesting strategy games for the Wii U?

That was one of the things that I imagined when they announced the tablet controller.

Back then I assumed they might totally redesign Pikmin to allow for mouse-like pointer controls on the touch screen to select and direct your Pikmin around.

This would also open the doors to something like StarCraft 2 (or StarCraft LXIV-2?^^) appearing on the system. Blizzard's Dustin Browder said as much, as in that it'd be technically doable but nobody is working on that.

Or even better: ports of isometric RPGs, like the Baldur's Gate remake which isn't coming to Wii U because the devs got soured on everything Nintendo because they had a very bad experience with MDK2 on WiiWare... (*sigh*)

Ignoring people with their stupid business decisions, I could totally see this take off. At least for indies, if the rumors are true that the Big N is making a big effort to improve their conditions for digital distribution.

I'm also eagerly awaiting Henry Hatsworth-style games where you play a "normal" game on the TV and the touch screen has something totally else going on that you have to attend to constantly.

So anyone else going to be at the event in NYC? I'll be there on the 30th from 5 - 7.

Anything new or exciting happen in the last week? I've been in San Diego with my girlfriend on vacation and haven't seen any video game news in that.

Yay finally approved. I was hoping to be included in the new batch of Juniors :D

Been stalking neoGAF since the good old days of the smash bros dojo, but was somewhat scared to contribute. It is a pleasure to be able to participate in gaming discussions instead of cowering in the sidelines.

Super psyched for WiiU. The concept really appeals to me. I've also been craving a new Pikmin for years and it is finally happening. There's still so much uncertainty about this console, and I cannot wait to see what Nintendo's up to.

Though it seems I have arrived during a moment of tension... guys I'm still a forum virgin so please, be gentle =}

USC-fan

Banned
*watching XPlay do a piece on wii u vs xbox smart glass*

Summary:

XPlay: smart glass steals wii u thunder; guests: we disagree, smart glass not really for games

XPlay: wii u should be priced at $99; guests: $299 is the most they can sell it at

XPlay & Guests: wii u is still very confusing. What will we use the gamepad for?

I have yet to see anything smart glass really does with games. It is like psp support with ps3. They show all this stuff at e3 back in the day and none of it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom