• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
https://twitter.com/makonakocom/

a guy who attended the Nintendo Share Holder Meeting shares lots of information
sorry that I have no time to translate all the information
but I think the most useful information is this one:

"Nintendo plans to reveal the launch day and price at September,
and not just the launch titles, also the titles for 2013 will be revealed at that time"

So that would be the 3rd time they revealed a console's price in September.

Last time it was 3DS in 2010 . And before that, Wii in 2006.

As for information on the Shareholder meeting, Andriasang posted some bits.
http://andriasang.com/con1pi/nintendo_shareholder_meeting/

ugoo18

and not just the launch titles, also the titles for 2013 will be revealed at that time"

Time to start up the hype train again?

Probably needs some servicing after the derailing at E3.

Oooooh boy. The waiting game begins anew.

ugoo18

Retro's and MonolithSoft's IPs! D:

556639_10150985443184391_188604442_n.jpg

It begins anew
drop%20the%20bomb.gif

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
By the way, remember this from before E3..?

Guess what the initial game releases will be for Nintendo’s new home console, Wii U? Soon we’ll scratch off to reveal the names! ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒.

I think I may have finally figured it out:

Code:
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ 33
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ 27
NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razors Edge
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ 19
Wii U Panorama View

---------

Edit. I may be weird, but I'm more interested in finding out what the box art and console packaging will look like than the price and launch date.

AniHawk

the 2013 titles will be pikmin 3, p-100, and nsmbu

wii fit u, sing, game and wario, and nintendoland will be launch titles and december games.

MDX

Now this is very interesting what Nintendo's strategy will be with the console's price.

By holding off on showing some potentially big titles during E3, they can now use these
reveals closer to launch. If these titles are hype worthy, Nintendo knows they can get
early adopters to buy into the WiiU at a higher price point. Because it easier to sustain hype and momentum two months before launch, than five months.

Right now E3 has people hovering around $299, come September, if Nintendo shows
off at least one jaw dropping first party title, and one major third party game, they might just be able to get people to buy a premium bundle WiiU at $399.

japtor

I'm not sure I get why the flat footprint more important than the volume for hardware design?
His logic is if they go with a single board...and yeah I'm not sure from there. I guess it just gives a better sense of how big the Wii U is, cause I think a lot of people have been thinking it's around Wii size (and weaker due to thermal restraints) when it's actually a good chunk larger. Not that that's necessarily indicative of much either, like it would be easier to cool beefier hardware, or quieter with weaker hardware.

Wonder if they'll try to go all Apple with the launch too, launch it like a month or less after the announcement.
Hey! I'm finally approved!

Who do I give my ticket to for the Hype Train?
I think the Hype Train was destroyed in a horrific accident
(E3)
, although a new one may be under construction now with this new news.

MDX

wii fit u, sing, game and wario, and nintendoland will be launch titles and december games.

Mario will be a xmas title.
No way they will miss out on that.

Pikmin, probably a month later & P-100 two months later.

DrWong

Let's try to fuel the speculation: Rumour: Heroes of Ruin Developer Working on Retro’s New Wii U Game?

So, we reached out to McLoud on Twitter, knowing he wouldn’t be very likely to shout any announcements from the rooftops. Our cryptic question and his equally cryptic answer follows;

Aussie-Gamer: “…would it be safe to assume your next game will be something a little more “Retro”?”

Brandon McLoud: “Haha, sorry, no comment!”

Of course, McLoud is also the Senior Designer at KinsIsle – which is a development studio also based in Austin. So… maybe this is all just wishful thinking after all.

AzaK

Cool!

Well I'm hoping they will announce third parties too.

Nibel

Nintendo: No plans in near future for more 3DS models

Satoru Iwata has said that Nintendo has no plans in the near future to release more 3DS models beyond the 3DS XL.

Nintendo surprised everyone during Nintendo Direct last week when they announced 3DS XL but it seems that this will be the last hardware update for the time being as company president Iwata told investors that Nintendo have no plans to release new models in the near future.

Many fans believed Nintendo 3DS XL should have featured a second Circle Pad but Nintendo has a solution for those demanding an extra control stick with the 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro.

Source

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So yeah it definitely looks like we'll see a big Wii U blowout in Japan this September. Hopefully some stuff trickles out before then. I gotta think Japanese 3rd parties have a lot to show since it seems clear they've had dev kits for a long time.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The presentation and the elections at the 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders today (Japan time) provided nothing extraordinary, though Wii U was mentioned at least in the presentation. Animal Crossing (Nintendo 3DS) was confirmed for release this autumn. They also mentioned they want to expand their business regarding Nintendo 3DS in Asian regions (excluding Japan and Korea).

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/resolution_notice1206e.pdf
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/breport_1203.pdf

The Q&A should be up soon.

Earendil

You missed e3. We needed you at e3.

That's probably why E3 sucked, the bear couldn't get in.

His logic is if they go with a single board...and yeah I'm not sure from there. I guess it just gives a better sense of how big the Wii U is, cause I think a lot of people have been thinking it's around Wii size (and weaker due to thermal restraints) when it's actually a good chunk larger. Not that that's necessarily indicative of much either, like it would be easier to cool beefier hardware, or quieter with weaker hardware.

Well, while it doesn't really mean much, it's good to see and might put an end to the "Wii U is too small to be more powerful than the 360..." bs that we see all the time.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://andriasang.com/con1pi/nintendo_shareholder_meeting/

A; On the Wii U's online service cost

Iwata said that he doesn't necessarily reject the idea of a paid service that allows not just Wii U but various other devices to connect to Nintendo Network. However, when considering Nintendo's users, a paid membership service is not the best approach. By having everyone use the Miiverse together, word of mouth will more easily spread. This will lead to greater hardware and software sales.

:(

Oh, well. I just need them to hurry up with that new Zelda 3DS game! And a Kirby game!

And a Metroid game. Preferably Metroid V.
Well, the 3DS has all the buttons required to let you play Metroid Prime with its original control scheme (you'd have to map Z and the C-Stick to the touchscreen if you're not using the CPP, admittedly, but that's not a huge issue). If they could somehow squeeze that game onto the 3DS, or make an all-new similarly-playing one, hell, I'd buy it.

Penguin

Nintendo of America Hires New Senior VP of Network Business

Seems like they have created a division to work on their digital enterprise.

Nintendo of America announces the hiring of a new senior vice president of Network Business. Effective July 1, Duncan Orrell-Jones will take on the newly created position and spearhead the development and evolution of Nintendo of America’s digital strategy for the company’s Nintendo 3DS and Wii U video game systems. Orrell-Jones will work at Nintendo’s headquarters in Redmond, Wash., and report to Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime.

“Duncan Orrell-Jones brings knowledge and hands-on experience to Nintendo that will help us develop and implement long-term digital initiatives for our systems,” Fils-Aime said. “By creating this new position we’re demonstrating our commitment to the expansion of our online business, and Duncan is the perfect person for the job.”

Rösti;39323356 said:
Ok, why? Was it a mock design different than shown at E3? This is just getting weirder and weirder.

The way the sentence is worded doesn't necessarily suggest that photography of the mock system was forbidden. It could be read as:

- The 3DS XL was available for sampling and a mock Wii U unit was shown.
*and*
- Photography was forbidden.

Instead of:

- The 3DS XL was available for sampling.
*and*
- A mock Wii U unit was shown but photography was forbidden.

You're reading it as the latter and wondering why the couldn't take pictures of the mock unit, whereas I'm reading it as the former and seeing it as a blanket ban on photography at the event.

Well, the 3DS has all the buttons required to let you play Metroid Prime with its original control scheme (you'd have to map Z and the C-Stick to the touchscreen if you're not using the CPP, admittedly, but that's not a huge issue). If they could somehow squeeze that game onto the 3DS, or make an all-new similarly-playing one, hell, I'd buy it.

I probably wouldn't.

Perhaps I'm a bit strange, but I've no love for first-person Metroid games. Played some of the first one, bought 3, returned it, but beat Prime Hunters (for some reason I don't yet understand).

Earendil

The way the sentence is worded doesn't necessarily suggest that photography of the mock system was forbidden. It could be read as:

- The 3DS XL was available for sampling and a mock Wii U unit was shown.
*and*
- Photography was forbidden.

Instead of:

- The 3DS XL was available for sampling.
*and*
- A mock Wii U unit was shown but photography was forbidden.

You're reading it as the latter and wondering why the couldn't take pictures of the mock unit, whereas I'm reading it as the former and seeing it as a blanket ban on photography at the event.

Don't burst our bubble man. I'm still hoping for a design that doesn't look like a safe deposit box.

Wait, BOTH the console AND the Pad STILL aren't final?

The hell is Nintendo doing in R&D!?

I suspect "not final" in this case is more a case of the difference from pre-launch Wii Remotes to launch:
  • Square power button v. round power button
  • Select and start labelling v. + and - labelling
  • A and B buttons v. 1 and 2 buttons
  • Numbers v. dots for identifying player controllers on the base of the Remote
  • Full-width nunchuk connector v. small final plug
  • Multiple concentric ridges on the nunchuk stick

...plus half-a-dozen other minor changes, none of which amounted to anything significant. I would be willing to bet that nothing more significant than that is going to change about the GamePad design before launch. The layout, contours, components and design are all pretty much set now, and at most you might see a couple of small cosmetic differences.

I suspect the same will hold for the Wii U itself.

Reading "not final" as anything more than a cover yer arse, we-might-make-this-button-a-different-shape isn't wise, IMO.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

chris3116

Rösti;39325696 said:
I hope that means FIFA 13, Madden NFL 13, NCAA Football 13, NHL 13 and similar and not games with stylized characters as seen on Wii. Sure, FIFA and Madden are confirmed for the format, but nothing has been said about gameplay or graphics. I wonder though, why July and not right now, is there still some kind of NDA?

Didn't EA say that they won't have cartoony graphics for the Wii U games? I remember a quote about that recently.

darthdago

since this is also still a speculation thread...
Ok in that rumored specs list after E3 there is written "GPU referred to as GPU 7"
So what exactly does that mean?
If that refference comes from AMD then it is about the use of CrossfireX technology?
Could that mean Nintendo used an AMD like chipset with integrated graphics and boost that one with the additional GPU?
I know I'm a bit confused now but I love to speculate how it could be.

BTW here is the AMD link:
http://support.amd.com/de/kbarticles/Pages/737-GPU-7-Howtoconfiguremultiple.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom