• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Wait, BOTH the console AND the Pad STILL aren't final?

The hell is Nintendo doing in R&D!?

Don't expect big changes; the back of the console for example is still work in progress and maybe they'll change some minor stuff on the gamepad. This is what I expect.

BD1

Banned
Rösti;39325696 said:
I hope that means FIFA 13, Madden NFL 13, NCAA Football 13, NHL 13 and similar and not games with stylized characters as seen on Wii. Sure, FIFA and Madden are confirmed for the format, but nothing has been said about gameplay or graphics. I wonder though, why July and not right now, is there still some kind of NDA?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479648&highlight=

Quote:
"I can't really talk about it much, but I think what we're doing is really cool," Weber said. "Maybe we're not hearing a lot about [Wii U] today or in this week, but I certainly believe it's going to be a product we're going to be proud of.

"Here's what I will say, and she," Weber added pointing to a publicist sitting in on the interview, "may not want to hear me say this, but it's the truth: Whatever we release on the Wii U will not be a cartoony, dumbed-down, arcade football experience. It will be the real deal, HD simulation football."

I wonder if NoA is going to partner with EA and for Wii U mini-conferences or Publisher-specific Nintendo Directs?

StevieP

Banned
I'm not sure I get why the flat footprint more important than the volume for hardware design?
I don't think calculating an attach rate from shipment numbers really "works" well - under the same calculation the PS3 has a higher attach rate than the 360's NPD-based rate; further the number is presumably inflated by the bundling of Wii Sports outside of Japan.

Regardless, those numbers throw away the assertion that people "buy their Wii for Wii Sports and never play it again or spend money on it" because, well, they did. To a similar amount as the other consoles.

Because Nintendo uses fast RAM, and GDDR3 was present even in Wii. DDR3 is shit for gaming purposes.

GDDR3 is EOL.

Snakeyes

Still butthurt about Nintendo trolling us with the F-Zero minigame in Nintendoland. :(

They really couldn't throw the hardcore gamers a bone at launch?

"Here's what I will say, and she," Weber added pointing to a publicist sitting in on the interview, "may not want to hear me say this, but it's the truth: Whatever we release on the Wii U will not be a cartoony, dumbed-down, arcade football experience. It will be the real deal, HD simulation football."

Hahahahaha! YEAH! Take that, dumb publicist lady! Not even your people at EA are proud of that crap style! Good riddance, very happy to hear this.

Here is another classic example of people skimming that link and jumping to conclusions. It's totally brainless conjecture. They used the words true next generation consoles, so people automatically go "Oh, that definiteltey means not the Wii U!" when nobody said anything along those lines. Then people picked up on it to validate their weak arguments.

Also they said they were developing it for six different platforms. How many next gen platforms are there going to be again? Let's just stop skimming, and read and comprehend before we comment from now on.

Snakeyes

Buy Assassin's Creed III and Zombi U.

And come one, NSMBU should be filed under "hardcore" as well.

I already own a PC, zombies aren't really my thing and 2D Mario is nice but not really hardcore. Hats off to Nintendo, they've somehow managed to completely turn me off on this system for the next little while.

/no F-Zero @ E3 rant

Have we figured out why there are very few games running at 720p/60 fps or 1080p/30 fps?

snesfreak

Banned
Here is another classic example of people skimming that link and jumping to conclusions. It's totally brainless conjecture. They used the words true next generation consoles, so people automatically go "Oh, that definiteltey means not the Wii U!" when nobody said anything along those lines. Then people picked up on it to validate their weak arguments.

Also they said they were developing it for six different platforms. How many next gen platforms are there going to be again? Let's just stop skimming, and read and comprehend before we comment from now on.
thisisneogafdude.gif

Hoodbury

I agree. I wonder what those 6 platforms are?

1. Wii-U
2. PS4
3. Xbox720
4. PC
5. Mac?
6. Mobile?

thisisneogafdude.gif

I am going to keep pretty quiet for a while. I don't want to get to invested in this and mouth off and get banned.

It is like an overwhelming tidal wave you can't fight through. I was on a Navy ship that went straight through a hurricane in the Atlantic ocean and it was easier than fighting against this.

So no one else is going to be at the NYC event this weekend? I can't be the only east coast gaffer Nintendo invited to it.

Jealous.

Edit: If ypu can, please test out all the moves with the Gamepad's buttons in NSMBU. I want 100% confirmation that a person doesn't have to shake the Gamepad to take advantage of secondary abilities on power ups (like double-hover with the Squirrel Suit ect).

I don't even understand how Mario isn't hardcore. How many people really clear all the content?

Absolutely. I think the terms "hardcore" and "casual" are used rather loosely nowadays. I wonder how many "casuals" have what it takes to put up with something like Grandmaster Galaxy.

Earendil

GDDR3 is EOL.

GDDR3 is also based on DDR2 and if I understand correctly (I'm a software guy, not hardware) has lower bandwidth than DDR3 since DDR3 has a 64bit interface. But as I said, I'm not a hardware guy, so that could be total crap.

I don't even understand how Mario isn't hardcore. How many people really clear all the content?

This depends on who's definition of hardcore you use. If you mean the classic definition used before this gen, then yes Mario is hardcore. But if you go by the current definition of hardcore, Mario would not classify unless he had a gun and Peach was naked.

This is yet another instance of cognitive bias. People want to assume that Wii U is a current generation system, so when they see statements like this, there is only one logical conclusion in their minds.

I know I haven't gotten all the coins in NSMBWii.

I already own a PC, zombies aren't really my thing and 2D Mario is nice but not really hardcore. Hats off to Nintendo, they've somehow managed to completely turn me off on this system for the next little while.

/no F-Zero @ E3 rant

I hate to say it, but you shouldn't have gotten your hopes up. Actually expecting a new F-Zero at E3 was just another instance of the Neogaf echo chamber effect. There was nothing pointing at F-Zero being a launch title. I don't think the series is done for good, though. I believe there were some comments by Miyamoto that they were considering making a new one, but that doesn't translate to ready and raring to go for launch. I think it might arrive mid-cycle, ala X and GX.

But hey, we can all be wrong. I had a strong feeling that Wave Race would be a launch title. What the heck are Monster Games and NST up to anyway?

GDDR3 is also based on DDR2 and if I understand correctly (I'm a software guy, not hardware) has lower bandwidth than DDR3 since DDR3 has a 64bit interface. But as I said, I'm not a hardware guy, so that could be total crap.

This depends on who's definition of hardcore you use. If you mean the classic definition used before this gen, then yes Mario is hardcore. But if you go by the current definition of hardcore, Mario would not classify unless he had a gun and Peach was naked.

This is yet another instance of cognitive bias. People want to assume that Wii U is a current generation system, so when they see statements like this, there is only one logical conclusion in their minds.

This.

I agree. I wonder what those 6 platforms are?

1. Wii-U
2. PS4
3. Xbox720
4. PC
5. Mac?
6. Mobile?

I agree we'll probably get PS4, Xbox720 and WiiU versions. If true, then it will be interesting to see how the WiiU fares in comparison to the other two. It may give us an idea about what to expect from next generation multi-plat titles.

Earendil

I am going to keep pretty quiet for a while. I don't want to get to invested in this and mouth off and get banned.

It is like an overwhelming tidal wave you can't fight through. I was on a Navy ship that went straight through a hurricane in the Atlantic ocean and it was easier than fighting against this.

That's why many people have recommended we noobs stay in this thread until we get our feet wet. And perhaps forever after as well. It's too easy to get caught up in the arguments and it's not worth the consequences.

AlStrong

Because Nintendo uses fast RAM, and GDDR3 was present even in Wii. DDR3 is shit for gaming purposes.

Keep in mind that GDDR3 tops out at 1Gbit density. I'm not sure exactly why you consider GDDR3 better for gaming when GDDR3 and DDR3 can both provide similar theoretical data transfer rates.

i.e. 128-bit bus
700-1300MHz GDDR3 -> 22.4GB/s - 41.6GB/s
800-2500MHz DDR3 -> 12.8GB/s - 40GB/s

With that in mind, you ought to have some concern for power consumption, cost, and the chip density as they are basically in the same ballpark for bandwidth (although most DDR3 is 1333-1866, I wouldn't expect them to use top rated GDDR3 anyway for power reasons). Simply, "because Nintendo" doesn't really help.

Anyways, the eDRAM should take up most of the bandwidth requirements. It'll be even better if the eDRAM is used for texture operations as well as handling everything the MoSys cache did in Wii and Gamecube (24MB 1T-SRAM).

At the time, their only options were DDR2 and GDDR3 anyway, and GDDR3 was superior in every aspect to the aging DDR2 spec, so it's no wonder it was used in 2006.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm glad there will be EA Sports support at launch. Its nothing groundbreaking or a huge positive sign for future support, but its a hell of a lot better than being the first system since Dreamcast to see no launch support.

Honestly, good Japanese support and non-gimped FIFA is enough for me 3rd party wise.

D-e-f-

Banned
about that "true next gen" comment: you can just as well read that as clarifying that they're not still referring to PS3/360 as "next gen" like so many people have been doing at least until last year.

Hakai

about that "true next gen" comment: you can just as well read that as clarifying that they're not still referring to PS3/360 as "next gen" like so many people have been doing at least until last year.

I don't know! You see, the problem here is why they need to use TRUE Next-gen? Is like a buzz word you know? I mean maybe he is not excluding Wii U, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Not because I think Wii U is not next gen( because for obvious reasons he is), but is one of those things like "it's for the hardcorez!!" kinda thing.

D-e-f-

Banned
So, how are people feeling about Lego City Undercover?

I was a little disappointed that the showfloor videos seemed to show a lot of graphical glitches (pop in, draw distance issues, frame rate). You guys think that's the reason the game is hardly shown off as opposed to the other first party stuff?

I really really hope this turns out good. It would be my first Lego game so I'm free from any baggage :)

Earendil

I don't know! You see, the problem here is why they need to use TRUE Next-gen? Is like a buzz word you know? I mean maybe he is not excluding Wii U, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Not because I think Wii U is not next gen( because for obvious reasons he is), but is one of those things like "it's for the hardcorez!!" kinda thing.

Trying to infer anything into that statement one way or the other is pointless without a clarification from the person who said it. It really could be taken either way and will be by people on both sides of the argument.

Hakai

Trying to infer anything into that statement one way or the other is pointless without a clarification from the person who said it. It really could be taken either way and will be by people on both sides of the argument.

I totally agree with you sir.

D-e-f-

Banned
I was just watching this new high-quality off-screen footage of Pikmin 3 and noticed that they are handling the throwing animation kinda funky. Instead of each guy running up behind the leader in turn to get thrown, the next one just magically teleports into his hands. It looks kinda bad when they are 6+ inches away and just pop in and out of the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSutmYfo0C0&list=UUd8MrjFTH-j1k57abP_ktXg&index=1&feature=plcp

IN the old games you had to wait a few tenths-of-a-second for the next pikmin to run up behind before you could throw him (thus the invention of the "c-stick" trick to throw faster). I can understand wanting to make it immediate, but I think it kills the charm of seeing the little creatures run over to Olimar to take their turn to be tossed.

----

edit. I think I spotted a glitch. At 1:42 a pikmin inexplicably runs in the opposite direction of the group then 8 seconds later runs back into the scene to join up with the group. It was kinda funny, as I was thinking "where is that guy headed to?" The Pikmin AI have never wandered on their own unless they were carrying loot or chasing a bug that popped up out of the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSut...tailpage&list=UUd8MrjFTH-j1k57abP_ktXg#t=100s

It does look very odd. I would assume though that this is something that gets added during the polish phase. Little animations like this. It just looks too noticeably weird to have it be like this in the final product.

MDX

ding ding ding

right answer

mel·o·dra·mat·ic/ˌmelədrəˈmatik/
Adjective:

Of or relating to melodrama.
Characteristic of melodrama, esp. in being exaggerated, sensationalized, or overemotional.

You take this shit way too seriously.

I was a little disappointed that the showfloor videos seemed to show a lot of graphical glitches (pop in, draw distance issues, frame rate). You guys think that's the reason the game is hardly shown off as opposed to the other first party stuff?

I really really hope this turns out good. It would be my first Lego game so I'm free from any baggage :)

First, I want to say, hi everyone! My account has finally been approved and I can now post! It's been a blast reading all these Wii U speculation threads over the past few months, and am honored that I can finally contribute.

That being said, I wasn't sure what to think about Lego City Undercover when it was first announced, but after E3 this year, I feel like I can really get behind the game. I've never really played any of the Lego games, but I'm actually interested in this one. I thought it looked stunning despite some of the glitches that have been discussed. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product whether or not I purchase the game.

Ryoku

Keep in mind that GDDR3 tops out at 1Gbit density. I'm not sure exactly why you consider GDDR3 better for gaming when GDDR3 and DDR3 can both provide similar theoretical data transfer rates.

i.e. 128-bit bus
700-1300MHz GDDR3 -> 22.4GB/s - 41.6GB/s
800-2500MHz DDR3 -> 12.8GB/s - 40GB/s

With that in mind, you ought to have some concern for power consumption, cost, and the chip density as they are basically in the same ballpark for bandwidth (although most DDR3 is 1333-1866, I wouldn't expect them to use top rated GDDR3 anyway for power reasons). Simply, "because Nintendo" doesn't really help.

Anyways, the eDRAM should take up most of the bandwidth requirements. It'll be even better if the eDRAM is used for texture operations as well as handling everything the MoSys cache did in Wii and Gamecube (24MB 1T-SRAM).

At the time, their only options were DDR2 and GDDR3 anyway, and GDDR3 was superior in every aspect to the aging DDR2 spec, so it's no wonder it was used in 2006.

I completely forgot about the eDRAM ._.
Thanks for the clarification.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
So no one else is going to be at the NYC event this weekend? I can't be the only east coast gaffer Nintendo invited to it.

Hey Shin Johnpv,

If its an available option play, can you try out the Gamepad controls for Pikmin 3? Also, find out if the wiimote controls are using the IR or the motion+ for the cursor. (Test it by covering up the IR window on the wiimote.)

And if you happen to see a power brick out in the open, try and get a shot of its voltage ratings on the underside.

I'm excited for it as it looks like alot of fun. Level building w/ the touch screen should be awesome, that is if they include it. The screen tearing and stuff was disappointing, but there's still time to iron that out before the holidays.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Would it be fair to compare the graphics of Lego City: Undercover to Lego Batman 2 on Xbox 360?

----

One thing that impresses me with Undercover is that the writing and production looks to be very good. There were some funny lines in the trailer and the voice work sounds great. I hope the music is quality stuff too.

Nobody I know classifies a hardcore gaming as collecting every little thing possible in a game. That's a different category entirely, completionists. There are plenty of hardcore gamers who never got every energy tank in Metroid, every blue coin in Mario Sunshine, all quests in Final Fantasy 10, finished every last quest in Oblivion/Skyrim. I'm one of them, I don't play games to finish every last thing possible in a game.

In fact I found Mario Galaxy boring because of that - it was too easy, the game was designed so that the only real challenge lay in getting every single thing. Until you beat the game, it was just a boring grind to me.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's getting crowded in here.

yea they really opened the floodgates to all of us who registered in the first half of the year it seems :)

Would it be fair to compare the graphics of Lego City: Undercover to Lego Batman 2 on Xbox 360?.
hmm don't know since Lego Batman 2 doesn't have a "real" open-world and in comparison it's very dark compared to the bright daylight scenes we've seen from Undercover

Earendil

I'm looking forward to it, but I'd still like some more details. If I were able to get a Wii U at launch I would definitely pick it up. But I'll likely have to wait until next summer, so it will depend on how available it still is at that point.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ding ding ding

right answer
Bullshit. The knee-jerk 'lol nintendo' response is always the correct one. Sometimes 'this fucking company never learns' works too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom