• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Question:
Does the flower's blossom in the japanese garden demo uses the same technique that the "nVidia's New Dawn" demo uses? Is that tessellation?

I'm an adult and they scares me.
Going back to the "Wii U is based on a R700" it was speculated that the blooming flowering technique was based on Geometry shader which are very similar to the shaders used in Dawn except for one thing.

GTX 680 has 2 extra steps. Hull Shader and Domain shader. Wii U would rely on just its Tessellation unit.

Meelow

Banned
Oh my gosh, so beautiful.

Go bring more like this!

EDIT: what happened to the pic?

Lol sorry, I didn't know if I should post it but I'll bring it back...This is fanmade.

paper_mario_wii_u_screenshot_by_preetard-d58hezx.png

No thank you, Don't want a story mode in my GP mode. Keep it straight to racing and make it that friends can join automatically any GP race or send and receive invites to join customized Cups

They could just make it optional. I liked the Adventure mode in DKR. The overworld, having different themed areas, unlocking levels with balloons. This could absolutely be translated to the Mario Kart series. Adventure/GP/TT. No big deal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think P-100 is 720p, looks really good though, perhaps they could hit 1080p had it been using tesselation. The low poly upclose characters tell me that not to be the case.

I don't see how tessellation would allow 1080p.

Earendil

That's how much you put it if you use multiplication.

No offense, but it's not. You're subtracting the 4x for the wii u from the 10x for the ps4 and saying that's how many times more powerful the ps4 is than the wii u.

I've already talked about this earlier in the thread, but just in case it was missed, here it is again.

I'll preface this by saying using multipliers is pointless, but I understand what you were trying to say.

If the X360 = 1, and Wii U is 3 x X360, then WiiU = 3. If the 720 = 6 x X360, then the 720 = 2 x WiiU.

But again, using multipliers to determine console power is not a good metric.

So going with your base numbers:

X360 = 1
WiiU = 4
PS4 = 10

Then the Wii U is 4 times more powerful than the X360, and the PS4 is 10 times more powerful than the X360. That does not mean the PS4 is 6x the Wii because 10 is not 6 times larger than 4, it is 2.5 times larger than 4.

Ryoku

The rumors and reliable sources are saying the Wii U is 3-4x more powerful than the PS3/360, if the PS4 is 10x more powerful than the PS3 than that would make it 6-7x more powerful than the Wii U with the Xbox 720 rumored to be 5-8x more powerful than the Xbox 360 which would make it 2-5x more powerful than Wii U, which is not that much.

I don't like using these over-generalized multipliers, but I couldn't resist the urge to correct the math.

PS360 = 1
Wii U = 3 or 4 PS360
PS4 = 10 PS360 or 3.3 Wii U or 2.5 Wii U
Xbox720 = 5 PS360 or 1.7 Wii U or 1.25 Wii U
Xbox720 = 8 PS360 or 2.7 Wii U or 2 Wii U

Meelow

Banned
No offense, but it's not. You're subtracting the 4x for the wii u from the 10x for the ps4 and saying that's how many times more powerful the ps4 is than the wii u.

I've already talked about this earlier in the thread, but just in case it was missed, here it is again.

So going with your base numbers:

X360 = 1
WiiU = 4
PS4 = 10

Then the Wii U is 4 times more powerful than the X360, and the PS4 is 10 times more powerful than the X360. That does not mean the PS4 is 6x the Wii because 10 is not 6 times larger than 4, it is 2.5 times larger than 4.

Ok so now I know what I did wrong, I don't know why I multiplied it like that.

I got confused sorry, I did 10x PS4 and 3-4x Wii U which would make it 6-7x weaker than PS4 but I get what your saying...I feel like an idiot right now.

Please don't judge me lol.

JordanN

Banned
Pretty sure Rayman Legends is 1080p.

I think P-100 is 720p, looks really good though, perhaps they could hit 1080p had it been using tesselation. The low poly upclose characters tell me that not to be the case.
I've seen tessellation save on bandwidth but I've never seen it free up enough frames to give double the resolution.

"Tessellation level: 1 – Polygons: 48,600 – FPS: 1000 –"
"Tessellation level: 15 – Polygons: 1,664,550 – FPS: 216"
http://www.geeks3d.com/20090227/amd-gpu-tesselation-sdk/

Ironically, the test used a HD 4850 (similar architecture to what Wii U uses).

Xbox 360>PS3>>>Wii U>>>>>>Xbox 720>>PS4
Wii U to be the Dreamcast of next gen confirmed!

I think based on what I've learned that the Wii U is closer to this:

360/PS3>>>>Wii U>>>PS4>>Xbox 3

Or like this: Wii U = PC Low/Med settings, PS4= PC High settings, Xbox 3 = PC Ultra settings

Example:

The Witcher 2 PC Low Settings:

944x531.jpg

The Witcher 2 PC Ultra Settings:

944x531.jpg

So it's no doubt that the Wii U version of down ported games from the Xbox 3/PS4 will look noticeably worse in a side by side comparison but on their own rights they would still look "good enough" to warrant the time it would take to port it down. Also, if a developer actually tries to port a game to the Wii U and use it's strengths (it's custom features) to "mimic" a certain effect that wouldn't be easily translated from another system's custom features, developers should be able to get very close graphically to the other systems using these techniques.

The Wii U is not going to just be "X" less powerful and that's it......there will be ways around certain effects that wouldn't be possible in the same way on the system with customization.

Earendil

Ok so now I know what I did wrong, I don't know why I multiplied it like that.

I got confused sorry, I did 10x PS4 and 3-4x Wii U which would make it 6-7x weaker than PS4 but I get what your saying...I feel like an idiot right now.

Please don't judge me lol.

It's all good man.

Pineconn

I don't remember, but everyone has been begging for Sonic Adventure 3.

Haha that's right, I forgot you haven't really been an approved member for more than three months.

Eh, I wouldn't see why not. People do love their Sonic Adventure, so seeing the HYPE HYPE HYPE will be fun. :p

Banned
oww.... Not a fan?
I love donkey kong! Lol. Just trying to be funny. Not bad at all sounds mediocre to me. DKRC is probably the best 2D platformer on the Wii IMO. My SNES top two most played games were super Mario world and donkey komg country 2. Hell, I put DK as one of the big three ahead of Metroid due to its higher sales.

Banned
All this talk of subscription fees next gen to lower the initial costs of consoles got me thinking. If Sony and Microsoft goeth the subscription route at $99 plus $15 a month for 3 years and Nintendo just goes the traditional route of charging for the entire console at $300 with no subscription, what would happen? Would Xbox and PS3 fans jump ship to Wii U? Would the blue ocean consumers who bought a wii due to its low price jump ship to the Xbox or Playstation because of its "lower" price? Or would the audiences stay the course?

All this talk of subscription fees next gen to lower the initial costs of consoles got me thinking. If Sony and Microsoft goeth the subscription route at $99 plus $15 a month for 3 years and Nintendo just goes the traditional route of charging for the entire console at $300 with no subscription, what would happen? Would Xbox and PS3 fans jump ship to Wii U? Would the blue ocean consumers who bought a wii due to its low price jump ship to the Xbox or Playstation because of its "lower" price? Or would the audiences stay the course?

That would most likely only be an option and I don't recall Sony being linked with that unless I missed something recently.

Where are people getting the idea that the Wii U will be 3-4X powerful than PS3/360?

4X as powerful I think is just wishful thinking.. Especially CPU, even if RAM is 3-4X as much, and GPU is 2-3X as much.

I'm just gonna assume 2-3X max, basically like Wii Vs Gamecube/PS2. Anything more is just.. absurd and sounds a bit unrealistic to me. And the whole Wii U pad taking up a lot of processing power is just going to hinder developers from ever reaching its full potential.

I do have a question in regards to that though^ For example: Lets just say CoD:BO2 on the Wii U with the gamepad makes it look just like the 360/PS3, but with extra textures.. But if people didn't want to use the gamepad (use wiimote+nunchuck or ccpro), could graphical fidelity/framerate stability automatically increase a bit due to freed up processing power, if they don't use gamepad, or will it be the same? Can developers do this for gamers? Or is this wishful thinking.. I mean of course, the Wii U isn't a PC, and doesn't allow the user to turn off certain settings manually..

Then again, games usually tend to be less laggier without headsets, right?

japtor

The more time that passes the more I'm convinced Nintendo is taking an Apple approach with the Wii U. They announce very few details up until, seemingly, the last minute and they are starting to do their own conferences with the Nintendo directs.
They've been doing it for what, the past year almost? I prefer it, although I'm probably just used it from following Apple. Instead of speculation, news, more speculation and worst of all just plain waiting until release, it's speculation, then news and release (and impulse buy!). It cuts down the latter waiting phase, which is kind of pointless these days when news can spread around the world in a few minutes, and online shopping lets you (pre)order immediately if they plan it out correctly.

Of course there's one big difference, with Apple it's just a few products at a time, if even more than one. With Nintendo, if they're holding back third parties it's potentially going to be a massive flood of info from everyone at once. Then again that has its own benefits I guess.
I agree, i actually meant the ability to fly :p.
Get Sonic Kart 2!

How can you be scared at these loving eyes?

Orange_stare.gif

I've always loved that threatening "double-take" (for lack of a better term). Such a nice touch to an already horrifying gif.

Where are people getting the idea that the Wii U will be 3-4X powerful than PS3/360?

4X as powerful I think is just wishful thinking.. Especially CPU, even if RAM is 3-4X as much, and GPU is 2-3X as much.

I'm just gonna assume 2-3X max, basically like Wii Vs Gamecube/PS2. Anything more is just.. absurd and sounds a bit unrealistic to me. And the whole Wii U pad taking up a lot of processing power is just going to hinder developers from ever reaching its full potential.

The only thing that sounds absurd here to me is all these silly multipliers. And the fact that you just equated Gamecube to PS2 :p

But I jest. I can't really help with all this tech talk. I can however express my thoughts on this:

if people didn't want to use the gamepad (use wiimote+nunchuck or ccpro), could graphical fidelity/framerate stability automatically increase a bit due to freed up processing power, if they don't use gamepad, or will it be the same? Can developers do this for gamers? Or is this wishful thinking.

I may be totally wrong, but the way I see it, 3DS did it, so I think the same principle applies for WiiU. By this I mean rendering two images at once vs. one with more stable frame rate. If there's an option to turn the gamepad screen off (whether it is a feature of the hardware or on a game to game basis) I can only imagine it would have a similar effect.

Ryoku

I do have a question in regards to that though^ For example: Lets just say CoD:BO2 on the Wii U with the gamepad makes it look just like the 360/PS3, but with extra textures.. But if people didn't want to use the gamepad (use wiimote+nunchuck or ccpro), could graphical fidelity/framerate stability automatically increase a bit due to freed up processing power, if they don't use gamepad, or will it be the same? Can developers do this for gamers? Or is this wishful thinking.. I mean of course, the Wii U isn't a PC, and doesn't allow the user to turn off certain settings manually..

The power hurdle could be overcome by placing a map and/or inventory on the gamepad. Though, you've seen that the gamepad can render two intensive 3D environments with ease (Zelda tech demo and Japanese garden demo) on early dev-kits.

I think there is enough evidence (if you research into it) to support the 4x as powerful claims. It's not that far fetched if you ask me.

This guy is a believer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_plI0XlrY9Q&t=2m25s

A couple of tidbits.

• 3DS XL/NSMB is being considered a 3DS "re-launch" for America
  • After the new design gets its time in the sun, Nintendo will feel comfortable talking about the future of the Wii U.
  • Some rather impressive non-port titles are coming in the next 365 days. Some spin-offs and ports, too. But there are original titles there.
  • Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between) and getting some publishers to consider moving Vita titles to Wii U.
  • Nintendo retail reps are talking to stores to give Wii U a big retail presence - big demo units, prominent placement, and training workers to explain why the controller is like an iPad with buttons.

A couple of tidbits.

• After the new design gets its time in the sun, Nintendo will feel comfortable talking about the future of the Wii U.
  • Some rather impressive non-port titles are coming in the next 365 days. Some spin-offs and ports, too. But there are original titles there.
  • Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between) and getting some publishers to consider moving Vita titles to Wii U.
  • Nintendo retail reps are talking to stores to give Wii U a big retail presence - big demo units, prominent placement, and training workers to explain why the controller is like an iPad with buttons.

It would be really cool for this 3DS "re-launch" if every 3DS XL came with a pre-installed copy of NSMB2.....software will really sell the systems then!

I love to dream....

Ryoku

A couple of tidbits.

I don't get this.

Vita is dying, so publishers are staying off of Wii U, but are considering moving Vita titles to Wii U? They're staying off of Wii U, but moving titles to Wii U? Help me understand this!

JordanN

Banned

When modern PC's are perhaps 12-14x stronger than the PS3, Nintendo only doing a 1/4 of that doesn't seem wishful thinking at all.

Well, that's just me and observations that include Nintendo's other non-Wii consoles.

I think there is enough evidence (if you research into it) to support the 4x as powerful claims. It's not that far fetched if you ask me.

This guy is a believer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_plI0XlrY9Q&t=2m25s
Eh, I say it's hard to find evidence for something that is still classified.

I don't get this.

Vita is dying, so publishers are staying off of Wii U, but are considering moving Vita titles to Wii U? They're staying off of Wii U, but moving titles to Wii U? Help me understand this!

Not the same publishers.

Some are reacting by thinking "Oh, that project we had in the pipeline is not going to have the base we wanted it to. Cancel it."

Others are going "This Vita project is going to die here. Maybe put it on the Wii U?"

A couple of tidbits.

[*]Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between) and getting some publishers to consider moving Vita titles to Wii U.
Did you miss-type the bolded?

Ryoku

Some are reacting by thinking "Oh, that project we had in the pipeline is not going to have the base we wanted it to. Cancel it."

What did you mean about the "expectation of being able to port between". They're staying off of Wii U because of that expectation? Doesn't make sense. Sorry if this seems like hassling, but it's 2:40 a.m. here, and I'm having a hard time focusing :/

EDIT:
Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between)

That part, specifically, is confusing me :/

I've been fasting all day so I might not be explaining this correctly.

Publisher A says to themself "We can make some games for both the Vita and Wii U since the graphical disparity is not overly-huge. Since the Vita should sell like the PSP, that provides us with a pretty decent base of people to sell to."

Publisher B says to themselves "Vita should sell like the PSP, so we're going to make Vita games. Wii U should sell games like the Wii did, so we're not going to bother making Wii U games."

Vita sales aren't doing well.

Publisher A thinks "Well, the project we were concepting out might need major revision or cancellation because we were expecting a bigger userbase between the Vita and the Wii U. Just having a Wii U title might not be enough."

Publisher B says internally "Vita isn't selling like the PSP, maybe we should just move the title to the Wii U?"

Nothing is set in stone for either of them, but there was an understood assumption that there was going to be a decent number of Vita/Wii U titles that is now dwindling.

I think based on what I've learned that the Wii U is closer to this:

360/PS3>>>>Wii U>>>PS4>>Xbox 3

Or like this: Wii U = PC Low/Med settings, PS4= PC High settings, Xbox 3 = PC Ultra settings

Example:

The Witcher 2 PC Low Settings:

The Witcher 2 PC Ultra Settings:

So it's no doubt that the Wii U version of down ported games from the Xbox 3/PS4 will look noticeably worse in a side by side comparison but on their own rights they would still look "good enough" to warrant the time it would take to port it down. Also, if a developer actually tries to port a game to the Wii U and use it's strengths (it's custom features) to "mimic" a certain effect that wouldn't be easily translated from another system's custom features, developers should be able to get very close graphically to the other systems using these techniques.

The Wii U is not going to just be "X" less powerful and that's it......there will be ways around certain effects that wouldn't be possible in the same way on the system with customization.

I'm curious.. What pc specs are required to play this game in low settings, and ultra settings?

I've always loved that threatening "double-take" (for lack of a better term). Such a nice touch to an already horrifying gif.

The only thing that sounds absurd here to me is all these silly multipliers. And the fact that you just equated Gamecube to PS2 :p

But I jest. I can't really help with all this tech talk. I can however express my thoughts on this:

I may be totally wrong, but the way I see it, 3DS did it, so I think the same principle applies for WiiU. By this I mean rendering two images at once vs. one with more stable frame rate. If there's an option to turn the gamepad screen off (whether it is a feature of the hardware or on a game to game basis) I can only imagine it would have a similar effect.

Oh, I know Gamecube doesn't = the PS2 in power.. But they are pretty close. Closer than Cube vs Wii?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm curious.. What pc specs are required to play this game in low settings, and ultra settings?

I don't really like using PC hardware/games as a gauge for console performance, as there's rarely any 'requirement' for running a game. I mean, it depends what framerate you're happy with, if you want to render at 720p or 1080p, your anti-aliasing solution, and so on.

Witcher 2 low versus Witcher 2 high is mostly a case of cranking the detail sliders up. More grass, higher resolution textures, cleaner shadows, and so on. Meanwhile something like Crysis 2 DX11 adopts entirely new rendering effects on high versus non-DX11 low.

In the case of the Wii U, if big budget ports from the 720/PS4 become a common thing, I expect certain rendering qualities stripped from the game. Much in the same way normal/bump mapping is stripped from 360/PS3 titles that made their way to the Wii, and Xbox titles that made their way to the PS2.

Pineconn

Not the same publishers.

Others are going "This Vita project is going to die here. Maybe put it on the Wii U?"

I also didn't understand that part, but this now makes sense. Thank you for the info!

Maybe I'm a fool, but I'm feeling the... the h-hype. Knock it out of the park, Nintendo.

ADANIEL1960

Neo Member

Publisher A says to themself "We can make some games for both the Vita and Wii U since the graphical disparity is not overly-huge. Since the Vita should sell like the PSP, that provides us with a pretty decent base of people to sell to."

Publisher B says to themselves "Vita should sell like the PSP, so we're going to make Vita games. Wii U should sell games like the Wii did, so we're not going to bother making Wii U games."

Publisher A thinks "Well, the project we were concepting out might need major revision or cancellation because we were expecting a bigger userbase between the Vita and the Wii U. Just having a Wii U title might not be enough."

Publisher B says internally "Vita isn't selling like the PSP, maybe we should just move the title to the Wii U?"

Nothing is set in stone for either of them, but there was an understood assumption that there was going to be a decent number of Vita/Wii U titles that is now dwindling.

These publishers need a better Crystal Ball.
I would say it would be hard to judge WiiU on outgoing Wii sales.

Man, another intersting part is that I didn't realise the assets for Vita and WiiU were that interchangeable?
Why WiiU not PS360? I guess not the usual dudebros fair!

Terrell

Enjoying Ramadan, Alberto?

The part that really blows my mind is how publishers thought there wouldn't be much disparity in power between WiiU and Vita.

*looks at Mortal Kombat PS3*

*looks at Mortal Kombat Vita*

*looks at Zombi U and Aliens*

Seriously, publishers need to lay off the damn crack.

JordanN

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

Woah, are those publishers smoking crack? The Vita is still pushing polygons in the PS2/Gamecube realm. I would not be happy with those results on a system far more capable.

Assuming this is real and not something made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom