• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Gamepad: User Feedback & Distance Limitations

guek

Banned
Works everywhere in my 2 bedroom apartment except the laundry room for some reason @_@

Pretty happy. Hope they put out a range booster though for ppl with interference or who are just outside of toilet range

Thoraxes

Works in the whole house, and most importantly on the shitter.

Gaming has advanced and now my bowel movements won't stop me any longer.

Red UFO

My bedroom and my living room are seperated by one flimsy dry wall so hopefully I should be able to have Wii U all up in my grill on a Sunday morning.

Kokonoe

Banned
My experience so far with it is that it starts having severe hiccups or loses connection when you use it within another room than where your console is placed. Similar to the DS with Pictochat.

Monger

Didn't test it everywhere, but my seat is around 35 ft away from the Wii U which is in a closet with an additional wall in between. I have the Wii U about 7.5 ft high.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seriously? Must be that my house is all solid brick. Built in 1938. Still bull, as my wifi signal works fine everywhere.

assuming your wifi is 2.4GHz, that'll have more range than 5GHz. My router supports 5GHz and I wanted to use it to avoid congestion (lots of neighbour wifi access points), but the range wasn't enough to cover the house. With 2.4 I'm fine

It'll work better with thin partition walls (plaster and wood) and not so well through concrete/block/brick.

It'd be interesting to see someone do a decent test using different substances as range attenuators. I'd also like to see angle tests - i.e is the signal stronger coming out of the front of the gamepad or is it equal in all directions? Can range be increased in a particular direction using foil behind to reflect the signal forwards?

It's also possible that the relative location of your WiFi router plays a role, so maybe that should be taken into account. My router is right by the seating in front of our TV, so I'm concerned about interference.

dwebo

assuming your wifi is 2.4GHz, that'll have more range than 5GHz. My router supports 5GHz and I wanted to use it to avoid congestion (lots of neighbour wifi access points), but the range wasn't enough to cover the house. With 2.4 I'm fine

It'll work better with thin partition walls (plaster and wood) and not so well through concrete/block/brick.

It'd be interesting to see someone do a decent test using different substances as range attenuators. I'd also like to see angle tests - i.e is the signal stronger coming out of the front of the gamepad or is it equal in all directions? Can range be increased in a particular direction using foil behind to reflect the signal forwards?

wait, is this actually something that works?

edit: holy crap it is

Double D

The room that the Wii U will be placed was an addition to our house and because of that the wall dividing that room and the rest of the house is solid concrete block. I've got my expectations in check.

TommyT

Works fine in my apartment. Walking from the living room to our bedroom there are frame drops as the controller is pointed away from the console. Once in bed and pointing in the general direction of the console through a couple of walls/other electronics it's just fine. Both bathrooms are further away than the bedroom, however one is BEHIND the console. I'll test that out tonight to see how playing while on the throne works out.

BS. That's the range of an entire house.

:lol

The range seems fine in open space. Between walls however it's pretty spotty. Currently, it's not in the tv stand, and when I take it into the bedroom, it's very hit or miss. I don't have measurements for what this range is, but just as a reference point, my house is a 2,000 foot ranch-style house. So, the distance I'm talking about isn't insignificant. Because of that, I'm not terribly disappointed. But simply pointing out that this thing certainly doesn't cover the whole range of the house. If I really wanted to play this thing reliably in bed, I'd need to move the console.

big_erk

Different houses are made out of different materials, and can be in areas with different levels of interference. Wireless technologies are always like this.

This. Not to mention other wireless devices that may cause interference, and not just your wireless devices either.

10 meters (33 ft)
wii u is in the living room, i can go upstairs and still get a stable connection.
no signal behind a brick wall tho, no problem with dry wall.

It drops out when on the staircase, but comes back up when I get to the second floor when I walk closer to where the Wii U is relative to its position downstairs.

Muffdraul

Last night when I had to input the password for our connection, I got up and carried the gamepad into the bedroom where the wireless is. It's right inside the doorway, and I could swear I was actually closer to the Wii U console than I was when I was sitting on the chair in the living room. But I lost the signal. Apparently one wall causes too much interference.

Not that I give a shit. Very doubtful I'll ever need to use it from a different room anyway.

Reclaimer

I tested it today...walked upstairs and laid in bed. Zero lag.

Well done, Nintendo.

Similar experience. Almost 0 lag, once every few minutes a slight few frame hiccup, but this was with 2 walls and 25 feet between the pad and system (holed up in an entertainment cabinet).

If its not obvious already, with any wireless solution....

*****Your Mileage WILL Vary*****

inc77

I can play in all the bedrooms in the house and more importantly able to lie down in bed and play. Though oddly enough, I can't get signal in the bathroom... and its just as far as my bedroom.

markatisu

Works all over my house upstairs and downstairs (house built in 1910), I have the Wii U in the living room and our bedroom is upstairs.

Kyuur

Sadly cuts out right as you enter my bedroom. It's pretty far away from where the console is located though, so no complaints. I can still take the pad to my computer desk and play from there.

imjust1n

Banned
its right behind the wall from my bathroom and it doesn't freaking work. guh. :(. I'm talking like 7 feet max.

i live in the chicago old 3 flat and yea i can barley get out my bedroom with the gamepad. the bathroom is right next to my room it semi works in there. the issues ive been having is with the touch input on the gamepad. other then those minor setbacks im enjoying everything else. oh btw i got a dud gamepad my home button does not light up

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I live in a one bedroom in a major city... no issues in any room.
I actually love the look of the games on the pad too, pleasantly surprised at how clean and crisp the games look.

Raptomex

I tried going down stairs with it but the sound begins to cut in and out and the battery life seems a little short.

Mashing

Signal attenuation (signal loss) is definitely an issue here. Different surfaces have differing levels of signal attenuation. I don't know what the broadcast transmit power is on the WiiU Gamepad, but it's probably 23-25dB. WiFi signals start having problems when they drop below 7dB and varying factors will reduce the receiver signal strength Doors and wooden walls/floors are going to be the worst cause of signal loss in most homes. You'd think brick/cinderblock would be a big problem, but it has less attenuation than wood does. Also you have to take into account that are probably dozens of devices in your house interfering with the signal (microwaves, cell phones, cordless phones) It really all depends on if you are getting a good SnR (signal-to-noise ratio).

So in summary: Depending on the construction of your home and the amount of devices interfering with the signal you are are going to see wildly varying ranges of operation. Another words, YMMV. I'm really not surprised by the responses in this thread so far.

optimiss

It works in every room of my apartment. I love that I can take it into the kitchen to watch Netflix while I cook.

BossRoss

Banned
My gamepad works in every room in my 1800 sq/ft apartment. Concrete walls. I had it disconnect once in the bathroom, but even my wifi on my iphone gets flaky in there.

All in all, I am impressed by the responsiveness of the gamepad over wireless. It honestly feels like a super lightweight handheld.

It's strange, I didnt think I'd use the gamepad only feature as much as I do, but I find having the tv on in the background while banging out a couple of levels on Mario U very satisfying.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If I can't get it to work in my bedroom then I'm moving my WiiU. Even if I have to use a 50ft HDMI cable.

Got it to work in my bathroom as long as i held it up. im happy.

Heres another question, is the battery light supposed to stay on? It turns on when I turn on the Wii U and when its charging but I wasnt sure if it stayed on all the time.

Maaseru

Banned
I'm really hating the hate against the Wii U, it's wonderful a lot better than the original Wii. I bet most complainers don't
really have the console.

I've had NO trouble at all playing with the gamepad in other rooms. I've notice range diminishes when battery is low, but when not I can even play
through concrete walls, like 10-15 feet away. Homes where I live are all concrete no cardboard like material like in the US. SO to see work through
that is great.

I played a game of Scribblenauts really far like 10-15 feet with a conrete wall in between and it worked great. After an hour or more it started
faltering a bit, but no complaints here.

The farthest I've got it working was about 20 feets but in line of sight of the console. I study comp engineering and in the comm class we found
out physical interference really hampers this kind of signal. It could work 20 feet away in line of sight or not at all at 10 feets with a wall in between,

BEST OF ALL! I could play with it on the crapper, no problems AT ALL!!! SO stop the complaints. No one realistically would play or need to play
this system farther away from the room it is in than the
crapper.

SO I really don't get the complaints, wait for it to charge completly before testing it out maybe. One thing that it ocurred to me or maybe I or
some one else could make. COuld it be possible to make some sort of Wii U relay or router than you could place around your home to amplify
the pads signal strenght? I'm really interested in checking
and maybe developing something like this.

BEST OF ALL! I could play with it on the crapper, no problems AT ALL!!! SO stop the complaints. No one realistically would play or need to play
this system farther away from the room it is in than the
crapper.

It's worth noting that not everyone who owns a Wii U lives in an exact copy of your house. For instance, the GamePad does not work perfectly -- constantly going in and out -- in even the closest of my three bathrooms.

Dartastic

I hear nothing but dissapointing things regarding functional gamepad distance. Maybe Nintendo will release a signal booster type device later?
At around 17 feet the signal drops for me. It's gotta go through a concrete wall, but Wifi is pretty bad in my house to begin with. I really wish they'd release some sort of a signal booster. :(

the distance from my room to bathroom is like 15 to 20 steps.
if i go where X is which is 15 steps the signal drops completely. i figure it's because of the walls but going inside the restroom is like a "U" shape and it works fine in there.

yQTYd.png

dankir

Yeah I don't know about you guys but I was able to play with my gamepad about 15 ft away from my Wii U console which happens to be the bathroom on my main floor, while I was on the can and with the door closed.

It was glorious!

SonicRift

Neo Member
The first thing I did with the system set up at home was try it in the bathroom with the door closed. It worked, but my girlfriend got SO angry... I guess she doesn't want me pooping with the Scribblenauts machine.

If I have anything to say about the controller, it's that the buttons are so far apart. I was playing Blops and having trouble finding the B button to reload and X to hop over stuff. It seems too far from the stick. I'm hoping I can remap those two particular actions to A and Y to be closer to the stick, but maybe I just need to get used to the size.

Davey Cakes

Okay, so in my house I did some more testing. I was actually able to keep a consistent signal when I went to my parents' room (which is right above where the Wii U is currently located) and my room which is on the same floor as the Wii U. So now it's looking like 20 ft possibly between rooms on the same floor and 10-15 between different floors. Interesting. This is at full battery though, so I'm not sure how the thing will respond when it gets to, say, half battery or below.

Pretty neat. My house is two floors but is pretty small, and the wifi router is located in the same vicinity as the console. Also, my lower floor is also like a cellar that has the water heater and plumbing going through it, which could cause issues (based on what we know about water). Given the possible interference, I'm not surprised by the limitations, but now that I've done further tests I feel better about the technology since it does seem to work, even in my house, under the right conditions.

Top Bottom