• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Gamepad: User Feedback & Distance Limitations

Yes. Mine basically only works in the room that the WiiU is in.

I'm just going to move the console into the bedroom when I want to play in bed.

Does the Wii's power brick work with the Wii U? If so, then moving the console should be pretty easy with not having to take the power cord and all.

Made some experiments today. Was surprised that it even worked two rooms away. Found out that your own body can make a difference. Also, when moving the pad it will start complaining but after holding it still for a while, it will eventually work again.

The Iwata Asks article actually mentioned that wireless signals have difficulty 1) through humans, and 2) when moving the device around (due to the Doppler effect). They mentioned going through the process of reducing the impact of the Doppler effect.

I can use it in every single room in the house, though it does get choppy at the very edge of some of the rooms.
It does help to not keep your Wii U under the telly, but on some bookshelf or something slightly more elevated and with less radiodisrupting material surrounding it.

AndTAR

I get almost zero off-room range in my house; Built in the 1930's, brick walls everywhere. Can go roughly 2 m out of my room, before choppyness ensues.

I guess I should mount it in my chimney; LoS to every room = thin brick + wood.

AzaK

I can use it in every single room in the house, though it does get choppy at the very edge of some of the rooms.
It does help to not keep your Wii U under the telly, but on some bookshelf or something slightly more elevated and with less radiodisrupting material surrounding it.
Mine is under one edge of my tv in same level of entertainment centre. I'll try moving it.

Nilaul

I get almost zero off-room range in my house; Built in the 1930's, brick walls everywhere. Can go roughly 2 m out of my room, before choppyness ensues.

I guess I should mount it in my chimney; LoS to every room = thin brick + wood.

Make sure noone uses that chimney.

Seik

Banned
Last week I was with a friend, playing the Wii U, then he asked me:

''Did you tried it?''

Me: ''Tried what?''

''Well, on the toilet''

Then I thought about GAF mentioning it over and over.

Me: ''Not yet, okay go let's try, why the fuck not.''

*Go try*

''IT WOOOOOORKS! IT FUCKING WOOOOORKS!!'' That was funny as hell. :p

Though its a chance the bathroom is near my room because I don't think it would've made it if it was just a bit more far.

Skilletor

I'm really hating the hate against the Wii U, it's wonderful a lot better than the original Wii. I bet most complainers don't
really have the console.

I've had NO trouble at all playing with the gamepad in other rooms. I've notice range diminishes when battery is low, but when not I can even play
through concrete walls, like 10-15 feet away. Homes where I live are all concrete no cardboard like material like in the US. SO to see work through
that is great.

SO I really don't get the complaints, wait for it to charge completly before testing it out maybe. One thing that it ocurred to me or maybe I or
some one else could make. COuld it be possible to make some sort of Wii U relay or router than you could place around your home to amplify
the pads signal strenght? I'm really interested in checking
and maybe developing something like this.

This post is pretty pathetic. Mostly the accusation. Just because you aren't experiencing issues doesn't mean people who do are liars. People are giving detailed examples of their issues.

My fully charged game pad loses signal about 15 feet away. I live in a small apartment and can't use it one room over. This feature is pretty useless to me because of it.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The streaming point should have been a separate device like the sensor bar. That way you can position it in the absolute best spot, can't do that when it's a part of the console. In Iwata Asks they said the console side of it was designed as a "stagehand", it works in the background and you don't notice it. I could see that as a reason why they would opt for built-in. A poor choice though.

Last week I was with a friend, playing the Wii U, then he asked me:

''Did you tried it?''

Me: ''Tried what?''

''Well, on the toilet''

Then I thought about GAF mentioning it over and over.

Me: ''Not yet, okay go let's try, why the fuck not.''

*Go try*

''IT WOOOOOORKS! IT FUCKING WOOOOORKS!!'' That was funny as hell. :p

Though its a chance the bathroom is near my room because I don't think it would've made it if it was just a bit more far.
So... your buddy went to the toilet with the gamepad, and you endorsed it? Hope he washed his hands. ;P

Top Bottom