• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

So playing COD Black Ops2 and really enjoying it on the WiiU. But I've realised that I'm going to need a headset for the gamepad so I can hear.

Can I ask, What headset are you WiiU owners rocking? What would you recommend? Or am I better off just a good pair of normal headphones.

Okay hold on, just to make sure we're all on the same page, these Portal/TF2 posts are purely sarcastic right? Because I dunno... if there are people genuinely backing this theory, I'm not sure I can be a part of this thread for a while
I don't actually believe that's it.

It just seems to fit the criteria that we were given. A non-M rated AAA game that would work well on the Wii U. Personally, I would call it "The Blue Box".

Riki

So playing COD Black Ops2 and really enjoying it on the WiiU. But I've realised that I'm going to need a headset for the gamepad so I can hear.

Can I ask, What headset are you WiiU owners rocking? What would you recommend? Or am I better off just a good pair of normal headphones.

I got the official WiiU Turtle Beach ones. Love them.

Vashzaron

*Minimap / HUD*

Except in Xenoblade the battle HUD appears showing everyone at once, not partial members. Obviously there was no Multiplayer in it to test that side with.

Either way:
vlcsnap-2014-01-15-20h35m43s212.png
If AI or even Humans are with him here judging from the minimap, that's plenty close enough to be in battle and to even show up on the screen, the ones following him in the chatlog section were further behind but you could see an arm.

Notice how the green dot doesn't budge and quite practically sits on top of the blue one. I would question how this even works regardless of Human or AI. Did they get a ride into the mech without even being seen? Just saying the Minimap works quite oddly sometimes.

Well, no, we don't know that. We know that their armor is more voluminous than their peers', but that's all we can say.

There's some differences but I noticed they both have that distinct spine thing on the back as well as the same color scheme, but I did notice now that the dude does have some blocky stuff like around the leg that the female one doesn't have.

If those were the only changes between the teasers, I might be inclined to think the same. However, there were more changes than the minor ones to the characters' appearances. There was a bit of a visual/graphical overhaul between the first and second teaser. The most notable things being that they darkened the color of the grass and dramatically fixed the pop-in we saw earlier. The first teaser was showing footage of what clearly was an early build of the game, so those changes we saw in the characters' aesthetics are very likely to reflect what they look like in the final build of the game rather than customization.

They could of have updated the environment and default/preset appearances.
*Armor classes*

Could be, I don't disagree with this.
Well, that's nothing new for JRPGs. In fact, quite a few of them work that way. Let's use Golden Sun as an example (from the Golden Sun wikia):

It's reasonable to expect there to be weapon restrictions, but that doesn't mean anything; we can't expect all characters to wield all weapons, after all. However, as you probably remember, building your skill links in Xenoblade would allow you to equip armor types that weren't natively available to some characters. Skill links (or some other system) could return and be able to lift those restrictions to a certain degree, at least.

Hrm I typo'd there meant to say they don't seem to be restricted to certain weapon types. The transforming weapon aspect basically gives them 2 weapons for one right now, Already seen the Minigun transform into a Shield and the Sword into Rifle. Either way possibly is like Xenoblades system, but we have no actual info on that. Could be a class system or something, which to would make me think of something an online mode could also use but we have no way of knowing what it is right now.

Am I correct in assuming that you're using VLC to play videos? If so, you can apply filters to the video to correct the gamma, brightness, contrast, and so forth. It's in "Effects and Filters" under the "Tools" drop-down menu, last I remember. I, however, use MPC-HC and switch between the overlay mixer, EVR CP, and madVR video renderers, along with the picture properties filter from ffdshow's video decoder for my video playback.
Yeah but I rather not touch it up from what it's going probably going to end up looking like, was just commenting on that it certainty does seem more colorful in your screens.

And? You're left to play solo in hundreds of JRPGs where you're left in control of someone other than their protagonists.

It looks suspicious with the amount of them being alone in the overworld though, sure could be plot points but again suspicious.

Look at the first shot in my post. The first player isn't referenced as "Player 1", he is referred to by インフェルノ, the Doll's actual name. Given that, it stands to reason that the players behind those connections don't see what player number they are but the actual name of the character or Doll.

Could be explained by what we see in the chatlog as there being Usernames, Character Name and Doll names. Mech customization is there looking at how the Inferno way is quite different from the Intro so doesn't flat out disprove anything as if customization allows it to that point that names could be customized from possible defaults.

Anyway gotten quite far enough looking at the details of the trailer, there are plenty of things that "Z" could be explained as Y, X or such. You see plenty of things I and other people see as hints to customization (or avatar creation itself) as something else, I can understand some of your points of view but not enough to flat out say there is no avatars or customization, just going to have to disagree with ya. We'll all likely soon get a definite answer of what it actually is anyway, don't really feel like speculating over this any more than I have now when it will be revealed in due time.

Roo

You guys should drop this till new information is revealed.
I feel like you're just going in circles at this point.

Riki

I like going in circles if it's about X. I need that game yesterday.
Really hope we get a trailer this month. I'm sure we will but I'm getting anxious.

ozfunghi

Not sure what he's implying here.

What about the graphics though? With the game being released on PS4, Xbox One, and PC, there is no way the screenshots we have been seeing can be true to the Wii U version as well can they? I secured an exclusive interview with Andy and this is a snippet of what we talked about:
Every screenshot or video you’ve seen from Project CARS so far has been taken by an actual player – any one of our WMD community members. So there should be trust already that what you see on websites or on YouTube is actually what you’re going to see in the game. There are no plans to abuse that trust when it comes to the Wii U version ;-)

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/...epresent-wii-u-version-director-slightly-mad/

Weng

So, going back to these "hints":

If it's indeed Minecraft... would they describe it as "next-gen"? The game is "old as fuck" by game standards. Maybe we're all misinterpreting the comparison with Deus Ex. Maybe they don't mean an "older" game, but they just meant that they had to rebuild the port from the ground up, instead of copy/pasing X360 code. Could it indeed be a "next-gen" game, which needs a WiiU port rebuilt in order to work on the platform? Are there any games coming out (or out already) for PS4/XBo that fit the bill? AAA, non hardcore/mature/18+ games, next-gen?

I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment, but maybe we can find a better fit.

Other possibilities: a sports or a racing title? PES 2015? The Crew or Trials Fusion?(though Ubisoft probably would handle the ports themselves)

If you don't intend to use voice chat headphones are enough. If a headset is too expensive and/or you already have headphones you can use a clip on mic and and a 3.5 mm 4-conductor phone connector adapter (don't know if translated correctly) to "build" a headset. That's what I did, and it works great for BO2 and Trine 2.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Just got around to finally playing Golf in Wii Sports Club.

It was amazing. I knew the Gamepad had to be placed on the ground beforehand but wasn't expecting the gameplay elements that would be incorporated. Seeing the head of the golf club move as you swing and the power gauge being displayed is such a great use of the pad.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

It was amazing. I knew the Gamepad had to be placed on the ground beforehand but wasn't expecting the gameplay elements that would be incorporated. Seeing the head of the golf club move as you swing and the power gauge being displayed is such a great use of the pad.

Is it just one course? The same one from the original?

maxcriden

Does anybody know when the next Nintendo Direct will likely be broadcasted? :)

Speculation seems to be about a week from today at the earliest. Either way there might be lots of interesting stuff coming out of the quarterly numbers and investor briefing the following week.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Pisses me off that Club won't include Archery, Table Tennis and Sword Fighting.
Especially the first two... hopefully there's gonna be a Clubs Resort. but I'd prefer to have everything incorporated.
I just don't wanna keep my Wii disc or boot in Wii mode, I know I'm lazy but I'd rebuy it.
Archery online would be amazing, not gonna be lag problems there :p

I'm curious if they're gonna be able to make Boxing into a decent game with M+ and polish (and maybe a
remote+ dual wielding option)... the original was truly terrible, waggle-fest's poster child.

Btw, add me up guys (identify yourself as a fellow gaffer tho):
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/dash.kappei

prag16

Banned

Agreed. It's pretty awesome. Need some more courses though.. 18 holes isn't many.

Bullza2o

Is it just me or it's been very slow recently for Wii U news? I guess I already need my monthly fix of a Nintendo Direct, any of them!

kunonabi

Pisses me off that Club won't include Archery, Table Tennis and Sword Fighting.
Especially the first two... hopefully there's gonna be a Clubs Resort. but I'd prefer to have everything incorporated.
I just don't wanna keep my Wii disc or boot in Wii mode, I know I'm lazy but I'd rebuy it.
Archery online would be amazing, not gonna be lag problems there :p

I'm curious if they're gonna be able to make Boxing into a decent game with M+ and polish (and maybe a
remote+ dual wielding option)... the original was truly terrible, waggle-fest's poster child.

Btw, add me up guys (identify yourself as a fellow gaffer tho):
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/dash.kappei

The hajime no ippo boxing game was pretty good so it is possible. It really comes down to what Nintendo wants the game to be really.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Is it just me or it's been very slow recently for Wii U news? I guess I already need my monthly fix of a Nintendo Direct, any of them!

A possible Nintendo Direct about a week from now and the Investors Meeting at the end of the month should give us news. Good news hopefully !

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The hajime no ippo boxing game was pretty good so it is possible. It really comes down to what Nintendo wants the game to be really.

The game itself was good but it didn't have the strengths of a Wii_Game: It was decent as novelty, but its motion controls implementation was just a gimmick: Remote's controls triggered just canned animations where the motions were a substitute for button presses (in fact IMO the game was better played with a controller) and while fun for a while, back in the day, it wouldn't really make sense today to develop a remote+ boxing game's concept like that. In the end it was similar to Wii's Punch Out, only more complex and with more developed combos but no balance board support.

I just use my iPhone headphones with the mic. Works fine.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I lurk this thread a lot and it's usually just X talk. But uh, someone gave me AC: IV as a gift for Christmas and I'm wondering how good it looks in motion? It's pretty solid right, or...?

DrWong

Yes, I'm totally addicted.

Is it just one course? The same one from the original?

They added 9 holes coming from the NES golf game.

Yeah....looks like it's time for me to get a Wii U. Mario Kart, some Zelda, and that Yoshi game look to sweet to pass up. Now for a Mario Party game

ozfunghi

PJCARS WiiU screen

Yeah, that's an old screenshot, where you can't really see much. Not sure what you're trying to say.

I think a lot of people are going to run away with that quote, as if he's implying WiiU graphics will look like that. While he's probably talking about not using bullshots or showing PC screens for WiiU or something. The problem is, that we haven't seen any (decent) WiiU screens or footage yet.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah, that's an old screenshot, where you can't really see much. Not sure what you're trying to say.

I think a lot of people are going to run away with that quote, as if he's implying WiiU graphics will look like that. While he's probably talking about not using bullshots or showing PC screens for WiiU or something. The problem is, that we haven't seen any (decent) WiiU screens or footage yet.

I was just jokin' :(

Koppai

When do y'all think Nintendo will announce a release date for Mario Kart 8? I hope it releases sooner rather than later :<

ozfunghi

I was just jokin' :(

No problem... maybe you misinterpreted when i said "that quote". I wasn't talking about your quote, but the guy form Slightly Mad. If they want to get us hyped for their game, they have to show us something as well, not just talk it up. We've had enough of that in the past and more often than not, it's just talk. Same goes for Shin'en, show us some god damn screens or footage already! Argh.

Koppai

I don't see myself running out to buy Donkey Kong which is part of the problem. I bought every other release at launch though, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, New Super Luigi, 3D World, Zelda Wind Waker HD, etc. but I just don't see myself running out to play DK. :<

Gimme Mario Kart asap please :(

I really just need to play what I have, I have barely played any of them :/

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No problem... maybe you misinterpreted when i said "that quote". I wasn't talking about your quote, but the guy form Slightly Mad. If they want to get us hyped for their game, they have to show us something as well, not just talk it up. We've had enough of that in the past and more often than not, it's just talk. Same goes for Shin'en, show us some god damn screens or footage already! Argh.

Ah, ok! I'm with you on this (especially about Shin'en, because I usually trust them for visual fidelity, but this time they are pissing me off)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't see myself running out to buy Donkey Kong which is part of the problem. I bought every other release at launch though, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, New Super Luigi, 3D World, Zelda Wind Waker HD, etc. but I just don't see myself running out to play DK. :<

Gimme Mario Kart asap please :(

I really just need to play what I have, I have barely played any of them :/

Actually if you plan to buy Mario Kart on release you actually are still running out to buy Donkey Kong.

maxcriden

Yeah....looks like it's time for me to get a Wii U. Mario Kart, some Zelda, and that Yoshi game look to sweet to pass up. Now for a Mario Party game

Wii Party U is essentially a Mario Party game just without the Mario characters and with some additional modes like tabletop games. It's quite good actually and comes with a Wiimote+. Also, MP9 for Wii is really good and a solid, underrated addition to the series which successfully shakes up the formula.

Linkhero1

I'm finishing up Xenoblade at the moment after putting it aside for a good six months. I forgot how great the game is. The areas are so huge. I can't imagine how big the areas in X will be. I think the Mechs are a great addition to the game because they offer the ability to travel without having to rely on the quick travel. It's increased my hype for X.

I lurk this thread a lot and it's usually just X talk. But uh, someone gave me AC: IV as a gift for Christmas and I'm wondering how good it looks in motion? It's pretty solid right, or...?

So...uhm...why don't you play it and see for yourself?

(It looks good. Better than ac3 but it has some framerate issues)

Top Bottom