• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So if there is indeed a Nintendo Direct broadcast next week, the announcement of it won't come before Sunday the 19th of January I assume.

D-e-f-

Banned
Rösti;97334495 said:
So if there is indeed a Nintendo Direct broadcast next week, the announcement of it won't come before Sunday the 19th of January I assume.

It'll be announced exactly 24hours beforehand just like usual. Traditionally 3pm GMT / 7am PST on Tuesday or Wednesday.

That looks pretty good, I'd probably would have tried to have a mild background image instead of white background, but that looks really good.

They've been using blank white backgrounds for MKWii and MK7.

51Vf2mFwVxL._SY445_.jpg
51aazYfJDfL._SX342_.jpg
71FuCaNW05L._SL1026_.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned
Didn't you make that one though? No need to stick to that if you feel it would have looked better otherwise (don't know if you prefer white backgrounds or not)

Yea I made the fake one. I was just going for what they would probably do with the artwork I had available. And I'm not a photoshop wizard so my ability to make up stuff for the background was limited :)

Btw, I actually edited it right after posting because I initially had the original background still in there. Comparison:

Fandangox

Yea I made the fake one. I was just going for what they would probably do with the artwork I had available. And I'm not a photoshop wizard so my ability to make up stuff for the background was limited :)

Btw, I actually edited it right after posting because I initially had the original background still in there. Comparison:

I see! Looking at both I personally think the one with sky background looks a lot better.

Gambit

Might have been posted already, but I love these tweets from Kamiya:

We tried to make it possible to join your own mii with TW100 as a hero. We hope we can do it in TW102.

Could be. RT @MirbyStudios: Would we have been able to choose which Unite Morph our Mii would have used?

That would be kinda cool, but the really good part would be getting Wonderful 102 at all.

Mlatador

Banned
I don't see myself running out to buy Donkey Kong which is part of the problem. I bought every other release at launch though, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, New Super Luigi, 3D World, Zelda Wind Waker HD, etc. but I just don't see myself running out to play DK. :<

Gimme Mario Kart asap please :(

I really just need to play what I have, I have barely played any of them :/

379ch.gif

Whaaat? I'm gonna wake up, eat a banana and roll-jump my way to the store DAY 1 (you know, cuz I wanna be there as fast as possible :p). Shit's gonna be so great! AWWW YEAH! :D

gemoran4

Apparently an unpopular opinion, but i think it would be sweet if X had a PSO or Diablo 2 style online. Not really an MMO but online multiplayer that had a storyline kinda built into it and side quests that help expand the lore.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Considering how simple the boxarts for MK Wii an 7 were, I doubt the boxart for MK 8 will have much going for it.

maxcriden

379ch.gif

Whaaat? I'm gonna wake up, eat a banana and roll-jump my way to the store DAY 1 (you know, cuz I wanna be there as fast as possible :p). Shit's gonna be so great! AWWW YEAH! :D

I really don't like bananas that much anymore, and I can't roll-jump terribly well at all (I've tried) but I will be there DAY 1!

Those fake box-arts for MK8 are pretty great, wouldn't mind them being real!. It made me watch the recent trailer again to remind me how brilliant the game will be.

D-e-f-

Banned
What is that in US dollars lol

Three frozen bananas.

10 million French men can't be wrong.

They sent Ideaman their survey and he accidentally sent it back 10 million times after falling asleep on the ENTER key and misreading Mario Kart as "MacDonald's." :D

Those fake box-arts for MK8 are pretty great, wouldn't mind them being real!. It made me watch the recent trailer again to remind me how brilliant the game will be.

itshappening.gif

Mlatador

Banned
I really don't like bananas that much anymore, and I can't roll-jump terribly well at all (I've tried) but I will be there DAY 1!

Sweet!

kongpow-brofist.gif (<---somebody should really make that)

Just start working out, then you'll like bananas again :)P), or just start further practising roll-jumping in DKC:R (either by using the wiimote only = strong, short waggle + immediately A or the same with nunchuck only + immediately A; you can also do a strong, short waggle with both and then fast-press A, too)

Anyway, I just hope the difficulty of "Returns" stays - at least - the same in "Tropical Freeze". Nothing more fun and satisfying than challenging gameplay within superb, difficult, yet never unfair leveldesign.

D-e-f-

Banned
Anyway, I just hope the difficulty of "Returns" stays - at least - the same in "Tropical Freeze". Nothing more fun and satisfying than challenging gameplay within superb, difficult, yet never unfair leveldesign.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751154

They both [Kelbaugh & Tanabe] say that the difficulty hasn't been lowered, but the new items, and Kong POW allow you to change the difficulty of the levels somewhat.

So think DKCR3D. Buy the balloon and help items if you have trouble, if you want pain and suffering, don't. :)

maxcriden

Sweet!

kongpow-brofist.gif (<---somebody should really make that)

Just start working out, then you'll like bananas again :)P), or just start further practising roll-jumping in DKC:R (either by using the wiimote only = strong, short waggle + immediately A or the same with nunchuck only + immediately A; you can also do a strong, short waggle with both and then fast-press A, too)

I totally agree. BTW, I do work out! I still feel pretty over bananas these days, though! ;)

(Also, I am okay at roll-jumping in the game, just terrible at it in real life!)

Koppai

Mario Kart 8 will be so fun, I didn't care for Mario Kart Wii much :(

379ch.gif

Since it wasn't that long ago that I played the previous game it doesn't have much interest for me now.

daakusedo

About the guy who works at gameblog among other things and talked about a 3rd party exclusive game, lately he posted a pic with Miyamoto and said it was on that day he learned about the secret game, which I find weird because apparently it was from two years ago and it kinda contradict the way he wrote that he was told about it last december.
Though development time wise it makes sense but the two contradicting statements seem fishy.

DrWong

About the guy who works at gameblog among other things and talked about a 3rd party exclusive game, lately he posted a pic with Miyamoto and said it was on that day he learned about the secret game, which I find weird because apparently it was from two years ago and it kinda contradict the way he wrote that he was told about it last december.
Though development time wise it makes sense but the two contradicting statements seem fishy.

Interesting. Link?

Riki

Adding to the France thing:

http://playeressence.com/nintendo-of-france-shares-sales-numbers-of-wii-u-3ds-pokemon-and-3d-world/

- 12,5 million active Wii players in France in 2013, hopes to convert them
- market study: 10 million French gamers potentially interested in Mario Kart 8
- no to smartphones, focus on quality and diffenrentiation
- Japanese million seller Puzzle and Dragons proves that traditional gaming and smartphone games can coexist
- concerning Xbox One and PS4: it’s not all about specs
- estimates that over 50% of sold Wii U games are by third-party
- games turned the 3DS around, MK8, SSBU, DKCTF and unannounced surprises will help the Wii U in 2014

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wii Party U is essentially a Mario Party game just without the Mario characters and with some additional modes like tabletop games. It's quite good actually and comes with a Wiimote+. Also, MP9 for Wii is really good and a solid, underrated addition to the series which successfully shakes up the formula.

I personally hated Mario Party 9. The minigames were fine, but the boards were terrible and it was frustrating with computers. Perhaps I would have liked it much more if I ever played it with people, but I never got the opportunity to =(.

onilink88

Except in Xenoblade the battle HUD appears showing everyone at once, not partial members. Obviously there was no Multiplayer in it to test that side with.

Dude, those were AIs with no independent thought. Of course everyone's HUDs pop up at once; the AIs don't get to decide if they want to enter battle or not. Like I've edified upon twice already, if an independent human player entered a battle, why would the rest of the party members' battle HUDs pop up? C'mon, that doesn't make a lick of sense. I can't do a better job of explaining this to you, and it's really not something hard to understand.

Either way:
If AI or even Humans are with him here judging from the minimap, that's plenty close enough to be in battle and to even show up on the screen, the ones following him in the chatlog section were further behind but you could see an arm.

Evidently not. As we all saw in the beginning, you had to be extremely close behind for an appendage to show up, much less the entire model (and notice how the pigtails girl doesn't show up at all). It's the exact same situation in the above shots. I'm not going to go through every single instance of this happening and offer this as an explanation; it should be a given by now.

Notice how the green dot doesn't budge and quite practically sits on top of the blue one. I would question how this even works regardless of Human or AI. Did they get a ride into the mech without even being seen? Just saying the Minimap works quite oddly sometimes.

It's really not that odd, or odd enough that it requires grand questioning. If the players maintain a proportional and constant distance between each other while moving, it would easily explain why the green diamonds don't move.

There's some differences but I noticed they both have that distinct spine thing on the back as well as the same color scheme, but I did notice now that the dude does have some blocky stuff like around the leg that the female one doesn't have.

They don't have the same color scheme. The woman has red and black in (practically) equal proportions on her armor, while the bulky man's is predominantly silver/grey with tiny hints of black between segments of the armor. Anyways, I highly doubt they're the same.

They could of have updated the environment and default/preset appearances.

That is a wild stretch, I think. Would they really update something that'd only end up getting changed in the end? That doesn't make for a strong argument.

Could be a class system or something

I'm thinking more along the lines of an unspoken class system, once again, like Xenoblade. Riki and Melia were implicit mages, Reyn was an offensive/defensive tank, Sharla was a healer, and so forth. But they have done classes in Soma Bringer, so it's a definite possibility.

Yeah but I rather not touch it up from what it's going probably going to end up looking like, was just commenting on that it certainty does seem more colorful in your screens.

Well, I was considering the first teaser mostly when I made the suggestion. There's was clear gamma/brightness overkill in that one (well, the quality of captured footage was terrible in general), so it was definitely not representative of how the game would look.

Untouched screenshot:

Cropped framebuffer grab (probably):

Not important anymore, seeing as how the quality of the footage has been improved a bit, but just saying.

It looks suspicious with the amount of them being alone in the overworld though, sure could be plot points but again suspicious.

As I and others have pointed out, this is a regular occurrence in JRPGs. They leave you to play solo many a time (and not for necessarily short durations, either). Some do this almost every time a new character joins the party. There's nothing that warrants suspicion there.

Could be explained by what we see in the chatlog as there being Usernames, Character Name and Doll names.

Huh? There were only usernames in the chat log... Not sure what you're saying or where you're getting that from. Might have to elaborate or rephrase.

Mech customization is there looking at how the Inferno way is quite different from the Intro so doesn't flat out disprove anything as if customization allows it to that point that names could be customized from possible defaults.

Let me preface this by saying I think there will be Doll customization (paint jobs, minimally). But the above in an immensely fallacious assertion; it's a redux of the different characters = customization argument. Inferno 01 is very likely a different model in the series of Infernos (or vice versa), thus the 01, which is standard mech nomenclature used to denote such things (for example, EVA Unit 00, 01, and 02 from Evangelion, or the VF 27 being a variant of the VF 25 from Macross Frontier), so that's hardly evidence of customization.

Anyway gotten quite far enough looking at the details of the trailer, there are plenty of things that "Z" could be explained as Y, X or such. You see plenty of things I and other people see as hints to customization (or avatar creation itself) as something else, I can understand some of your points of view but not enough to flat out say there is no avatars or customization, just going to have to disagree with ya. We'll all likely soon get a definite answer of what it actually is anyway, don't really feel like speculating over this any more than I have now when it will be revealed in due time.

Well, it's fine if you want to stop and I won't pressure you to continue, but... I won't, because I'm all but certain it's going to play out the way I see it (mostly, anyway), and at this point, it's only a matter of time before I hear it all from the horse's mouth. In any case, I appreciate that you took the time to write out elaborate, lengthy responses to try and explain yourself.

maxcriden

I personally hated Mario Party 9. The minigames were fine, but the boards were terrible and it was frustrating with computers. Perhaps I would have liked it much more if I ever played it with people, but I never got the opportunity to =(.

:(

Sorry to hear it, ZSL! I personally loved MP9 and found it to be much better than other recent iterations. I do like the classic board game structure of Wii Party U but I think the way they revamped the structure for MP9 with everyone moving together was great. The Boo board in particular was awesome. I wonder if you would have a much better time playing it with other people, I'm sorry you did not get a chance to. Personally I really do not enjoy playing Mario Party games against the CPU. I used to do it as a kid with the first couple MP games and it was not terribly fun for me. Granted I did only play subsequent MPs with my wife and two CPU players, but just having one other person in the mix really does change the game. Anyway, you are more than welcome to join in on a game of Mario Party 9 next time you're in Vermont, same goes for anyone else in the thread!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
:(

Sorry to hear it, ZSL! I personally loved MP9 and found it to be much better than other recent iterations. I do like the classic board game structure of Wii Party U but I think the way they revamped the structure for MP9 with everyone moving together was great. The Boo board in particular was awesome. I wonder if you would have a much better time playing it with other people, I'm sorry you did not get a chance to. Personally I really do not enjoy playing Mario Party games against the CPU. I used to do it as a kid with the first couple MP games and it was not terribly fun for me. Granted I did only play subsequent MPs with my wife and two CPU players, but just having one other person in the mix really does change the game. Anyway, you are more than welcome to join in on a game of Mario Party 9 next time you're in Vermont, same goes for anyone else in the thread!

Yeh, then again it probably was the first Mario Party in a long time that I played by myself. I do actually have friends over playing games more often these days, but we've been too busy playing Brawl, Mario 3D World & Nintendo Land to try Mario Party 9 with people haha. Maybe I'll get around to it eventually.

Top Bottom