• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

onilink88

d0s5.jpg

Oh man, did I unwittingly play Xenoblade without realizing that you could create your own characters?

ozfunghi

God dammit. So I bought 2 Wii Us at launch, one for my son and one for me. Long story short, I was getting divorced and they were moving out a few months down the line. Anyway, divorce took longer than expected. They move out yesterday. So my Wii U has been sat in its box all year. I unpack it, plug it in and it sits there flashing blue light at me. I should have unpacked and tested earlier I guess. Well pissed off because I wanted to use Wii U chat with my kid. Do i need to send it in? Never been used but obviously now out of warranty. Wondering the chances of the big N going easy on me....
Any advice GAF? And yeah, I know, I should have at least tested it when I first got it....

Unplug the power brick from the WiiU AND from the wall socket. Wait 5 minutes and try again.

Not kidding.

Lumyst

The red armor woman never wielded a sword. In either teasers. I think you're mixed up.

Hmm, in the second trailer there's that brief scene where a person with a sword is running in the night. Perhaps that's the same dark-haired guy with the sword but the moonlight is reflecting off of his hair, making it look silver :p In any case, I can't wait until things start to be said about the game other than what Iwata's said about it.

onilink88

Perhaps that's the same dark-haired guy with the sword but the moonlight is reflecting off of his hair, making it look silver :p

Nope, that's a new character that we hadn't seen before. I made a post about it. Scroll up a bit, and you'll see it (or go to the previous page if you view NeoGAF in fifty posts per page).

Lumyst

Oh, so you're thinking there's different characters but they can share the same weapons? I suppose what I was thinking was if the weapons are the same, then that character is the same character, and it follows that the reason the character looks different is because the character was customized in appearance. But I didn't notice how "pigtails girl" had different weapons despite being the same character, so that would mean weapon switching is what's really going on. Oh well, at least the Donkey Kong guys aren't being cryptic about their game :p

ozfunghi

So, going back to these "hints":

• Tantalus is beginning development on a brand new AAA Next-Gen title this month (January 2014).

• It is a ‘port’ but more of a complete rework for the Wii U: a bit like the work we did on Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut.
  • I can’t say what the title is but it is very exciting and is for an absolute top notch publisher.
  • This game will be credited Tantalus … it’s not an MA / 18 or ‘hard core’ game which ME-3 and DX:HR are.

If it's indeed Minecraft... would they describe it as "next-gen"? The game is "old as fuck" by game standards. Maybe we're all misinterpreting the comparison with Deus Ex. Maybe they don't mean an "older" game, but they just meant that they had to rebuild the port from the ground up, instead of copy/pasing X360 code. Could it indeed be a "next-gen" game, which needs a WiiU port rebuilt in order to work on the platform? Are there any games coming out (or out already) for PS4/XBo that fit the bill? AAA, non hardcore/mature/18+ games, next-gen?

I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment, but maybe we can find a better fit.

onilink88

Oh, so you're thinking there's different characters but they can share the same weapons? I suppose what I was thinking was if the weapons are the same, then that character is the same character, and it follows that the reason the character looks different is because the character was customized in appearance. But I didn't notice how "pigtails girl" had different weapons despite being the same character, so that would mean weapon switching is what's really going on. Oh well, at least the Donkey Kong guys aren't being cryptic about their game :p

Well, at the very least, it seems like characters aren't limited to wielding a single type of weapon (unlike Xenoblade).

kurbaan

Banned
Well, at the very least, it seems like characters aren't limited to wielding a single type of weapon (unlike Xenoblade).

There could be a class/job system in effect (changeable or not changeable), but that's pure speculation on my part.

I hope so. In xenoblade I basically had to use the same party whole way because only Sharla has the healing thing. I am also kinda dissapointed the battle system and ui look pretty much like xenoblade. Was hoping for something a lot better and maybe more turn based.

ozfunghi

No joy unfortunately. It still sits there blinking it's evil blue eye at me.

You unplugged it from the wall, as well as the WiiU and waited a bit?

Hmmm... I remember a couple of launch WiiU's having this problem. Don't know if there's another fix other than the one i posted. You should contact (call) Nintendo.

cacildo

So, going back to these "hints":

If it's indeed Minecraft... would they describe it as "next-gen"? The game is "old as fuck" by game standards. Maybe we're all misinterpreting the comparison with Deus Ex. Maybe they don't mean an "older" game, but they just meant that they had to rebuild the port from the ground up, instead of copy/pasing X360 code. Could it indeed be a "next-gen" game, which needs a WiiU port rebuilt in order to work on the platform? Are there any games coming out (or out already) for PS4/XBo that fit the bill? AAA, non hardcore/mature/18+ games, next-gen?

I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment, but maybe we can find a better fit.

Maybe its a new version of minecraft, being released for next gen systems and the wiiu get a port... a "complete rework"

I just saw a nephew playing minecraft last week.... it seems terrible. Seems like a game for children but build around terrible interaction with awful people on the internet, which would make it a game not for children at all. Is that it or i just didnt "get" the game?

ozfunghi

Maybe its a new version of minecraft, being released for next gen systems and the wiiu get a port... a "complete rework"

I just saw a nephew playing minecraft last week.... it seems terrible. Seems like a game for children but build around terrible interaction with awful people on the internet, which would make it a game not for children at all. Is that it or i just didnt "get" the game?

Haven't played it myself, but one of my nephews (son of my sister) seems adicted to it. He's 15 or maybe 16 now.

kurbaan

Banned
I'm going to go back on what I said in spoiler. There's nothing to base that on.

That would be a tremendous faux-pas given the nature of this game. The battle system it has now is ideal.

Well maybe not turn based but I'd say more like FFXII than Xenoblade. But I'll take what i can get from Monolith.

Nah, minecraft is pretty amazing. It can be immensely satisfying just exploring and fighting and building by yourself in a single-player world. Actual pc servers police themselves pretty hard so that greifers are kept as low as possible, and I assume the console versions use friend lists.

I'm actually kind of surprised that so many kids got the PC version- "hey mommy buy me this downloadable game off this foreign website." My mom would've never gone for that.

Vashzaron

Those player status boxes only come up when you enter a fight. So that would mean player one through four are engaged in combat, while player five is off doing something else.

Not really convinced on this since they all seem to be together (of course I can't tell vertically) and that area looks to be a danger zone, plus in the first trailer green dots on the rader show up quite frequently in the battle scenes, nearly on top of the player but they are seemingly alone and theres this ...It's odd.

Yes, consistent character appearances....

Hrm thought the bulky armour dude was different but looking at it again seems like nope, same armour as well I'm sure.

bulkydude.jpg

His armour seems to be the male variant of the "silver haired girl" which now looks to have "changed" into black as you say, but on that you could look at that being a design change like Fiora got in Xenoblade or perhaps ...customization? Both would explain it.
That is to say customization does not equal character creation but it helps it's case. Along we also have armor which looks in appearance to change between gender only (Female / intro dude and pigtails wear the exact same thing) not characters, something games with avatar creation usually do and there's the thing that people seem to be restricted to certain weapon types. Plus weapon type sharing.These don't mean much alone but together makes me sceptical.

On your Mini mecha find I noticed it too haha but didn't think much of it.
I've noticed some other things that I havent seen mentioned before I think, nothing important though. Like the first trailer time is stopped in multiple sections but it could be explained by them wanting to show off the game at a certain time.
There's also what seems to be North always pointed on the compass which is gone in the second trailer but we do see this what looks to be either it redesigned or a quest marker.
Lastly and most uninterestingly in the second trailer the font in TIME changes quite a bit, 3 different ones at least, could be different builds of the game.

By the way some of your screenshots are quite high contrast, makes the original ones look very washed out of colour, haha.

hm. that might be a good call, actually.

Wii U is not selling gangbusters in Japan but it had a decent holiday and maybe will be picking up. What just throws me are the words port and re-work. Rework and Port together I tend to think of launched games, but yeah could be a port of an unreleased game. I don´t think it is Minecraft.

Shaanyboi

Banned
In Xenoblade you could control directly anyone in your party if you switched leads. Could be the same here.

Except we see a lot of sole-characters heading out on their own. Not parties. And if we do see a group, we see UI info that could easily suggest multiplayer, including the ability to change your avatar.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The UI clearly leads one to think X is going to have some sort of multiplayer component, as does the various job searches Monolith has put out there.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Okay hold on, just to make sure we're all on the same page, these Portal/TF2 posts are purely sarcastic right? Because I dunno... if there are people genuinely backing this theory, I'm not sure I can be a part of this thread for a while

Okay hold on, just to make sure we're all on the same page, these Portal/TF2 posts are purely sarcastic right? Because I dunno... if there are people genuinely backing this theory, I'm not sure I can be a part of this thread for a while

I'm being sincere when I say I'd buy and love it, but I'm also being completely sincere when I say that I don't expect it to happen at all, ever, and that it probably wouldn't have happened even if WiiU had been a success.

I'm not the dude who introduced the idea and can't speak for him.

Gabe looks like Robin Williams in some pictures.

Robin Williams' daughter is Zelda Williams.

She loves Nintendo and has been in commercials.

It's all but confirmed.

Riki

Why not? Is this what you think, or has something been said/leaked?

This option has been raised 10 pages or so ago. Personally, i'm not crazy about those games, but i know they may make more of an impact than say Deus Ex or Need for Speed.

1. It's already being outsourced to another company for the console ports.
2. Minecraft is not from a big publisher. Or a publisher at all.
3. It's not an AAA game.

Fandangox

Except we see a lot of sole-characters heading out on their own. Not parties. And if we do see a group, we see UI info that could easily suggest multiplayer, including the ability to change your avatar.

Could easily be explained by members of your parties being a lot more indepent than in Xenoblade, or anyone who is playing online being able to chose whichever character from the story. Kind of like Last Story multiplayer mode. I don't think this game will have character-creation mode.

As long as X isn't a full-fledged MMO I don't care what kind of online aspects it has. I want it now! All of these pictures makes me want to rewatch the trailers.

The game is being developed on PC and ported to DirectX 11 equivalent machines.

I want to see what sorts of "adapting DX11 techniques" certain devs said about their Wii U eShop games. Besides, SE can truly push hardware when they put their mind to it, so I have zero doubt a true effort on a Wii U version pf KH3 wouldn't look gorgeous and technically amazing.

Shin'en will show what Wii U can do, when they FINALLY show off FAST Racing Neo, if any dev is going to at least imitate stuff PS4 and XBO can do, it's them, if Wii U can do it, they'll bring it to the surface.

On Wii that had the horrendous 40-44MB size limit that held back their abilities, and EVEN THEN, they pulled off outstanding work in FAST Racing League, in fact, I recall someone saying only that, and the Galaxy games used Rim Lighting on WIi.

Now if that wasn't possible on pre-gen consoles and a common PS360 technique, that'd be incredible.

Edit: Here's rim lighting:

rimlighting1.png

Looks better than a typical gloss effect.

http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/rim_lighting

prag16

Banned
To change the subject for a moment...

Prelaunch there was talk (possibly from Crytek themselves) about a third party CryEngine 3 game being in the works for Wii U.

Did we ever find out what that was? Was it just the ill-fated quietly-canned Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 Wii U port?

Or was there something else?

Lumyst

Don't worry, Nintendo will release a new console before Kingdom Hearts III is finished.

I do hope that Nintendo's growing pains with HD are over, because as much as I'm looking forward to games like X and will want more games like that, I recognize that it will have taken a while to make that game when it comes out this year, and if it takes another 4 years to make one big game like that then their next game may as well end up on that next Nintendo console that releases before Kingdom Hearts III >_< Platinum games' size doesn't seem "bloated" and they've consistently released HD games, so I hope Nintendo collaborating with developers who have overcome the HD hurdle gives them a glimpse into what it takes and how many people are required to consistently release games.

It's kind of scary how the Wii___ crowd isn't returning to give Nintendo some financial security, I wonder how that affects the decisions about which kinds of games are made from here on out. Of course, I will enjoy the "core" titles that are made out of necessity but I recognize that for Nintendo's sake, the Wii___ crowd would have been nice to have.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so any news on dragon quest x for 2014? where the hell is this game

the only news I have is that I'd buy it day one for Wii U, especially if managed as they did for MHTri on the Wii (monthly fee in Japan, free online in the West). Seriously: N should close the deal to translate and distribute it in the West to SE, that would be at that point simply happy to possibly sell some additional copy, for free (N should handle the servers too). They are starving for third party games and this would help somehow imho.

Even less possible, but I'd like to see them also distributing these two:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/233/G023319/20140115002/
http://senpaigamer.com/sites/defaul...3/09/17-taiko-drum-master-wii-u-edition-2.jpg
I know, only the "family nerds" would be interested but I don't see other actual demographic on the console, honestly.

Top Bottom