• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hands-on impressions

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
French said:
So the console may launch at the end of next year and they're happy to announce BF 3, NG 3, Batman ... that everybody will buy this year ?

Lol.

When are people going to understand that those weren't designed to be 'wow' announcements. They were a way to show everybody that the baseline of content you already get on the HD platforms will be totally covered with the WiiU. Reggie kept dismissing questions about the graphics and online as 'box ticked', because they were of no real interest. They have that stuff now, the kind of games you already enjoy on the 360/PS3 will be on the WiiU, there is nothing more to say. The really cool stuff was what you can do with the controller.

The exclusive games will be revealed later, and they will take a giant shit on what you get on the 360/PS3.

dude

dude
Any Gaffers impressions yet?

EDIT: Holy shit, avatars are back! It feels like I was blind and got my vision back.

ziran said:
Posted?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-07-wii-u-hands-on

Pretty much what I feel about the device really, albeit from videos and impressions. Really looking forward to it!! Looks and sounds amazing.
That's a stupid claim. I love Nintendo but Apple's had the iPad/iPhone/iPod/AppleTV thing going on for a year now. Two by the time this comes out. There are already several games that either use the iPad as a TV and the iPhone/iPod as a controller, or the iPad as the console, the iPhone the controller, and hook it up to the TV, or the iPad as the controller plugged into the TV - hell, iOS 5 brings full-screen mirroring for the iPad 2 to the TV wirelessly. Sooooo yeah, didn't really beat Apple to anything. Wii U controller has physical buttons, though, so that's nice.

mrklaw said:
Imagine Batman: Arkham City where the TV displays regular mode, and you hold the controller up to 'xray' the scene, overlaying detective mode.

They showed something like that in the tech demos, so there must be a way that the console knows when you're pointing the controller at the screen?
Pretty sure the controller has gyroscopes in it? But yes that is a fantastic idea - pretty sure they showed off a demo where holding the New Controller up to the screen put crosshairs over the second screen or something? Either way, the controller will know where it is in relation to the system / sensor bar so--

wait

That's something I haven't seen anyone talking about or in any pictures - if this thing works with Wii Remotes, where is the sensor bar? Is it still wired?

jgminto

I am really excited to see what the big developers are going to do with this. Good to start the next gen on a high note.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
_Alkaline_ said:
Here's a legitimate question - if Nintendo are so keen on getting CoD to their system, why then is there no clickable analogue stick?

How are you going to sprint?

Good question. So the Wii U controller is short 2 buttons compared to the PS3/360, unless they're hidden elsewhere. Of course you can simulate them using the touch screen or tilt; but I can imagine it's not an ideal solution in some games.

It's like after the wii presentation. First everyone goes wtf is that? then after the first hands- on it's "oh wow .it works and makes sense"

dude

dude
Tempy said:
Good question. So the Wii U controller is short 2 buttons compared to the PS3/360, unless they're hidden elsewhere. Of course you can simulate them using the touch screen or tilt; but I can imagine it's not an ideal solution in some games.
Most actions could easily have virtual buttons on the touch screen. The controller clearly has more input options than the current pads. The number of inputs is not the thing that should be worrying people.

A question I have though - It was shown used along side a Nunchuck with the Zapper. Does it support Wiimote add-ons?

A few months ago I came up with a silly inversion of Snake Eater's already silly control scheme. Use the analog to move and switch to the d-pad if you want to sprint!

But the multi player issues around this are interesting, are they going to bring out a third Classic controller, bring back the analog sticks and fill it with the guts of a Wiimote?

There are three main focuses of this system right now, Single player/ online games should be well covered, new asynchronous multiplayer gameplay should be well covered, and maybe games still centred around standard Wii controls could be covered, but multiplayer games with traditional controls is a question mark like it was on the Wii, thanks to the non-standard classic controller.

Graphics Horse said:
But the multi player issues around this are interesting, are they going to bring out a third Classic controller, bring back the analog sticks and fill it with the guts of a Wiimote?
I'd like an updated remote and nunchuck that mirror the button layout of the new controller. You'd be losing the touch screen, but you get a pointer and motion plus.

dude said:
Most actions could easily have virtual buttons on the touch screen. The controller clearly has more input options than the current pads. The number of inputs is not the thing that should be worrying people.

A question I have though - It was shown used along side a Nunchuck with the Zapper. Does it support Wiimote add-ons?

Yes. All Wii addons are usable.

As to the CoD Sprint button, they'd probably map it to say Y and map other functions to the screen or to motion controls. I mean, we have CoD running on the Wii Remote, with far less buttons.

meppi

AceBandage said:
Yes. All Wii addons are usable.

As to the CoD Sprint button, they'd probably map it to say Y and map other functions to the screen or to motion controls. I mean, we have CoD running on the Wii Remote, with far less buttons.
So you can plug in a classic controller into the WiiU controller?

Nice. Can't wait to see Amirox post this exact pic as the only way to truly play a Wii U. ;)

I'm glad I'll be able to use my NeoGeo controllers then.

Drek

Medalion said:
This system is deserving of the Wii name in its lineage... much like the first time we saw Wii, a lot of people were like WTF IS THIS SHIT? WHAT IS WITH THE STUPID ASS NAME? LOOKS STUPID AND HOW THE FUCK AM I GONNA CONTROL THAT?

But in HD :p
I don't know, strikes me as the logical next step from Sony's remote play feature between the PS3 and PSP, though obviously without as much range.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out, since I can't imagine the PS Vita isn't going to offer that same feature, itself equipped with the same control interface (and then some) of the WiiU controller.

It could potentially allow for 3rd parties to have not one but two platforms they can leverage any WiiU interface features on (PS3+Vita being the other). It'll be a more niche market for sure but if you're spending six or even seven figures integrating an entirely new control interface built around the WiiU's tablet you'd obviously want to get it out to as many gamers as possible, and I'd imagine Vita owners will have a very high correlation with current PS3 owners.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
I'm really impressed so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing its full power next year. There's so many possibilities in the use of the tablet controller. I also love that I don't need the TV to play.

AceBandage said:
Nerd posting from behind chair about how a system that isn't out isn't a core video game console.
*shuts off*
Why did you post this? It doesn't even look like this guy has left his house in weeks.
...that's Patrick Garratt.

radcliff

To those who held the controller:

Is the D-Pad the larger Classic Controller D-Pad, or the smaller 3DS D-Pad? Same question about the face buttons. Thanks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For anyone who has had a chance to try it, what kind of quality does the controller screen actually provide? I'm curious to see how they are transmitting the image to that controller. Does it actually appear as if it were running natively on the controller? My concern is that we're going to see something along the lines of On-live where it is obvious that the image on the screen is a video stream and image quality suffers as a result.

I'm also curious to see how smoothly it handles fast 60 fps motion.

If you are limited to same room usage, I would imagine they are using a very high speed solution for video transmitting and it will appear native, but I'm still curious.

thomaser

_Alkaline_ said:
Here's a legitimate question - if Nintendo are so keen on getting CoD to their system, why then is there no clickable analogue stick?

How are you going to sprint?

You can use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk? Works perfectly on the Wii.

Struct09 said:
A slight concern I have is that the circle pads don't click and act as L3/R3 buttons, but I'm sure developers will find a way to work around that.

That just conjured up a funny image in my head of people using the WiiU controller when you drive in games. L3 has been used in a few games I've played as the horn. Now developers can use the WiiU controller screen as the horn. I hope people don't get too aggressive when beeping it or they may mess their controller up.

vixlar

I can't wait for Konami with a new PES for this system, hehe. BTW, a little off topic but, didn't Konami announced a new PES for Kinect or PS Move yet?

And, please, developers: Clean interface on main screen. Big, easy, accesable virtual buttons in the controller screen.

And I always forget about R3 and L3. Why Nintendo still don't use those buttons?

dark10x said:
For anyone who has had a chance to try it, what kind of quality does the controller screen actually provide? I'm curious to see how they are transmitting the image to that controller. Does it actually appear as if it were running natively on the controller? My concern is that we're going to see something along the lines of On-live where it is obvious that the image on the screen is a video stream and image quality suffers as a result.

I'm also curious to see how smoothly it handles fast 60 fps motion.

If you are limited to same room usage, I would imagine they are using a very high speed solution for video transmitting and it will appear native, but I'm still curious.
Jeff Gerstman, I think it was him, said that the image quality was great. He didn't feel that it was jarring going between the HDTV and the screen on the controller.

Also, Nintendo did point out that there was no latency.

vixlar said:
I can't wait for Konami with a new PES for this system, hehe. BTW, a little off topic but, didn't Konami announced a new PES for Kinect or PS Move yet?

And, please, developers: Clean interface on main screen. Big, easy, accesable virtual buttons in the controller screen.

And I always forget about R3 and L3. Why Nintendo still don't use those buttons?

Nah as much as I used to be a PES fanboy, the torch has been passed on. Anyway Fifa was always the prettier one anyway. I think I recall EA showed like one second of FIFA after that American "Football" game in their trailer reel.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
PuppetSlave said:
Nah as much as I used to be a PES fanboy, the torch has been passed on.
Until FIFA also provides a similar control scheme as PES Wii, I disagree.

radcliff said:
To those who held the controller:

Is the D-Pad the larger Classic Controller D-Pad, or the smaller 3DS D-Pad? Same question about the face buttons. Thanks.
Totilo held a 3DS besides the pad in one video. The d-Pad is quite bigger than the on on the 3DS. I'd say Classic Controller size.

Luigiv

vixlar said:
Because they're pretty much useless? The only time devs use them is when they run out of other buttons. On the Wii U, you could just map said functions to region of the touchscreen, which would be vastly superior anyway.

Vinci

Danish
Cygnus X-1 said:
Well, I was skeptical about the implementation of the single touch screen on a controller, but it seems that impressions are very good.

Now it would be nice from Nintendo to bring some new IPs to that system.

Expect a lot of Mii related new IPs. That seems to be what they're playing on a lot with this system, basically taking what they should have done with the Wii and applying it to the WiiU.

robor said:
You know what would be cool for Wii U? Finally having the excuse to port Pacman Vs.
After I recently spent $9 to be able to play it?

Yeah, it was totally worth it anyways. I am looking forward to a lot more games like that.

Bert

AndyMoogle said:
Jeff Gerstman, I think it was him, said that the image quality was great. He didn't feel that it was jarring going between the HDTV and the screen on the controller.

Also, Nintendo did point out that there was no latency.

Kinda makes me wish they'd use the tech for the remote to transmit to a TV. Less wires is always good.

ascii42

Luigiv said:
Because they're pretty much useless? The only time devs use them is when they run out of other buttons. On the Wii U, you could just map said functions to region of the touchscreen, which would be vastly superior anyway.
I disagree, they are the only face buttons you can used without removing your thumbs from the analog sticks.

Sagitario

Any impressions about how the circle pads feel compared to joysticks and the one on the 3DS?
Are the triggers analog [Classic Controller] or digital [Classic Controller Pro]?

That and ergonomics have me worried?

I'm sure this has been discussed in the many pages of one of these threads, but what's Nintendo's deal w/ abandoning analog triggers? Is it a cost thing? Does it really save that much? Do they feel it makes things overly complex? I don't know why they would go through the trouble of including a traditional control scheme but leaving out one key feature both PS3 and 360 share, which visually does not add any more clutter to the layout. I loved the feel of the Gamecube/Classic Controller's analog triggers. :(

ksamedi

Fourth Storm said:
I'm sure this has been discussed in the many pages of one of these threads, but what's Nintendo's deal w/ abandoning analog triggers? Is it a cost thing? Does it really save that much? Do they feel it makes things overly complex? I don't know why they would go through the trouble of including a traditional control scheme but leaving out one key feature both PS3 and 360 share, which visually does not add any more clutter to the layout. I loved the feel of the Gamecube/Classic Controller's analog triggers. :(

My theory is that they wanted to be consistent with the classic controller. With the Wii U only support one pad, local multiplayer would be akward when others have to learn different traditional controls. It sounds stupid, but thats what you get when you're being stupid and supporting only one tablet.

ksamedi said:
My theory is that they wanted to be consistent with the classic controller. With the Wii U only support one pad, local multiplayer would be akward when others have to learn different traditional controls. It sounds stupid, but thats what you get when you're being stupid and supporting only one tablet.

That makes sense, but man, what a chain reaction of cheapness. So they removed the analog triggers from the CC Pro to save a penny, since it wasn't being used for GCN games, but because of that decision, they can't add them back into the Wii U Tablet, because the CC Pro is now the standard for traditional style games. SMH, Oh Nintendo...

Top Bottom