• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

So I hacked the vWii nice and easily using the WiiU homebrew channel and got USBLoaderGX and Nintendont set up. Now I just need to set up my actual external hard drive.

What's the best format to use so that I can use just the one drive for both Wii games and Gamecube ones? FAT32 doesn't have room for some of the bigger Wii games (they're over 2GB) yet Nintendont seems to require it. So what's the solution to that?

I'm on a mac, which doesn't help, but I have sporadic access to a PC.

Then my last task will be to set up a forwarder to USBLoader and to Nintendont from the Wii U menu itself. Are there any guides to that?

FAT32 can handle files up to 4GiB in size. Not too many Wii games exceed 4GiB, mainly the few games that shipped on DVD-9 dual layer discs like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid Other M and Xenoblade I think. There are Windows programs that can split a large wbfs file into 2 smaller files that are <4GB and work with USB loaders.

Also if you download the latest version of Nintendont, you'll find it's become much less picky about filesystems, partition schemes and cluster sizes etc. It now supports exFAT which allows for enormous files, but it doesn't really matter for GCN games because all ISOs are 1.46GiB. The problem is most Wii USB loaders only support FAT32.

TunaLover

When you mean "disable the GamePad", do you mean not having it emulate a Classic Controller by default (so it behaves like any legit Wii game without CC support), or use the option to not display the game on the gamepad (and so the system then tells you to point the Wiimote at the screen, etc.)

If it's the former, then I'm highly interested in know how to do it! :D
There is a way to directly boot the game and bypass when it ask to use the gamepad, so no more Wiimote ;)

You need to change this line in your meta.xml

Code:
<app_type type="hexBinary" length="4">8000002E</app_type>

Change it to this

Code:
<app_type type="hexBinary" length="4">80000000</app_type>

the meta.xml is in WORKINDIR/meta/meta.xml, if you use the script to build your gcn VC games edit the meta.xml while the script is working on the .gcm (example when the meta.xml is not in use)

The downside is that the injection can't use the gamepad anymore, until you edit the meta.xml again.

It works for Wii injected games too.

Joey Ravn

Banned
There is a way to directly boot the game and bypass when it ask to use the gamepad, so no more Wiimote ;)

You need to change this line in your meta.xml

Code:

Change it to this

Code:
<app_type type="hexBinary" length="4">80000000</app_type>

the meta.xml is in WORKINDIR/meta/meta.xml, if you use the script to build your gcn VC games edit the meta.xml while the script is working on the .gcm (example when the meta.xml is not in use)

The downside is that the injection can't use the gamepad anymore, until you edit the meta.xml again.

It works for Wii injected games too.

Noice.I'll try it later and report back. I'm so close to having what I've always wanted from Wii U homebrew that I can almost taste it :D

Griss

Wow, I just booted F-Zero GX from the Wii U homescreen and played it fully on the Gamepad. This is truly a revelation. God DAMN, this is good. I'm never unplugging my Wii U, ever. In fact I think I'll spend 40 bucks on one of those expanded battery packs as my battery life is down to about 2 hours now. The upscaling is fantastic, too. In motion, you'd never imagine F-Zero GX is SD. And on the gamepad the lower resolution screen really hides it. What a great experience.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped out. The Wii U is now the ultimate Nintendo machine. If only the emulation of NES / SNES / N64 games were better it'd be flawless.

Question.

Is there any way to have the Gamepad act as a Classic Controller in Wii mode while the Wii Mode is outputted to the screen?

Since Wii mode allows you to mirror the video feed on the Gamepad is there any way to then use the Gamepad to control all these Wii titles

Maybe even GameCube titles?

Thanks for any responses.

Just did it. Fun as hell. Only works for some titles.

Basic overview from the start (you may have already done a bunch of this but for the sake of others...):
1. Hack your Wii U and get Haxchi installed - either coldboot or not (I don't have coldboot)
2. Get the WUP installer for the Wii U homebrew channel (accessible by holding B when Haxchi boots)
3. Hack your vWii (easy once Wii U homebrew channel is installed) and get the Wii Homebrew channel installed.
4. Put Nintendont on your SD card so you can access it from the vWii homebrew channel.
5. Back up the Wii or Gamecube game you want to create access to (I don't know how to do this anymore as my backups were all created way back when on the original actual Wii hardware)
6. Use the new injection script to create a folder that's installable by the WUP installer

Parts 1 through 3 are covered by this guide.
Part 4 just involves searching Nintendont and downloading the files.
Part 5 I can't help with.
Part 6 is covered by the first post of this thread.

I used this process successfully, so I imagine you can too.

FAT32 can handle files up to 4GiB in size. Not too many Wii games exceed 4GiB, mainly the few games that shipped on DVD-9 dual layer discs like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid Other M and Xenoblade I think. There are Windows programs that can split a large wbfs file into 2 smaller files that are <4GB and work with USB loaders.

Also if you download the latest version of Nintendont, you'll find it's become much less picky about filesystems, partition schemes and cluster sizes etc. It now supports exFAT which allows for enormous files, but it doesn't really matter for GCN games because all ISOs are 1.46GiB. The problem is most Wii USB loaders only support FAT32.

Thanks. I didn't know Nintendont took ExFAT on SD - that's big. Do you know if USB Loader GX supports ExFAT?

Not that it matters a huge amount as I'm now WUP Installing all my games to my Wii U hard drive. But to be able to use a 64GB SD card as a backup plan is handy.

Also, my problem was that all of my files were .isos, so they weren't packed or compressed at all - meaning the Wii U files were almost all 4.7GB.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Unfortunately, I don't seem able to get the trick working. I'm trying to pack Super Mario Sunshine, but the meta.xml that is generated doesn't have the line:

Code:

The closest line it has is:

Code:
<reserved_flag1 type="hexBinary" length="4">00080023</reserved_flag1>

Nothing even comes up when I search for "app_type", either. I'm using Notepad++. What am I doing wrong? :/

Madao

if the Wii U Pro controller acted the same as the gamepad, it'd be perfect for me since i don't like using the gamepad at all and wii remotes last much less than a Wii U Pro controller fully charged.

i hope we get to a point that booting the Wii U with just a Pro controller can access all the homebrew apps and injects without the need of a gamepad or wii remote.

on Wii we got to a point where a Gc controller + bootmii can access all the necessary things to enter most homebrew without the use of a remote. it's a godsend for nintendont.

TunaLover

Unfortunately, I don't seem able to get the trick working. I'm trying to pack Super Mario Sunshine, but the meta.xml that is generated doesn't have the line:

Code:

The closest line it has is:

Code:
<reserved_flag1 type="hexBinary" length="4">00080023</reserved_flag1>

Nothing even comes up when I search for "app_type", either. I'm using Notepad++. What am I doing wrong? :/
It's in code/app.xml
...my bad ><

jwhit28

Can anyone point me in the right direction to use WiiUVC version of DKC Returns with a Classic Controller? I know how to do it on the Wii side with GECKO codes, is there a way to bake those codes into injected WiiUVC games?

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's in code/app.xml
...my bad ><

Thanks!

Nintendont works. I can boot it, use my GCN controller go to a game, quit and it goes back to the Wii U menu, without any need for Wii peripherals or the Wii menu :D

But my happiness was short-lived... My GameCube controller was still assigned to Player 2 and the game controlled only with the GamePad, even though it was supposedly "disabled". Is it because it's a forwarder to Nintendont, not the game itself (even if it uses Nintendont to boot)?

so i’m considering picking up a wii u to kind of replace my wii (mostly will play wii games and a few of the notable non ported wii u games plus VC DS stuff)

couple of questions: it this worth 180$ that game stop sells them for

can you play wii games that don’t need the motion controls with the tablet?

and would I be able to play my back up wii games off the hard drive without reinstalling (no problem if i need to but all my games are locked away and I don’t want to go up and get them out)

TunaLover

Thanks!

Nintendont works. I can boot it, use my GCN controller go to a game, quit and it goes back to the Wii U menu, without any need for Wii peripherals or the Wii menu :D

But my happiness was short-lived... My GameCube controller was still assigned to Player 2 and the game controlled only with the GamePad, even though it was supposedly "disabled". Is it because it's a forwarder to Nintendont, not the game itself (even if it uses Nintendont to boot)?
app_type only tells the game to behave like a standart Wii U game, so it bypass the Wii VC specific screen, it DOESN'T disable the gamepad.

You could try to change drc_use to 0 (keeping app_type=80000000) and try, maybe we got luck heh.

Joey Ravn

Banned
app_type only tells the game to behave like a standart Wii U game, so it bypass the Wii VC specific screen, it DOESN'T disable the gamepad.

You could try to change drc_use to 0 (keeping app_type=80000000) and try, maybe we got luck heh.

Sorry for the late post. I tried doing this with Nintendont... and it crashes as soon as I select a game to boot :/

I may try it with Sunshine itself, but since I didn't even manage to get it working "vanilla"... I won't hold my breath for it.

TunaLover

Sorry for the late post. I tried doing this with Nintendont... and it crashes as soon as I select a game to boot :/

I may try it with Sunshine itself, but since I didn't even manage to get it working "vanilla"... I won't hold my breath for it.
You can try ftpiiu to edit xml files, so you don't need to do the whole injection process all over again :p

Maybe there's no way to set it up as you want, all this thing is pretty experimental and trial error. I for example managed to inject Pokemon SoulSilver with original manual :D, pretty cool stuff :3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXFPykPWprg

You can try ftpiiu to edit xml files, so you don't need to do the whole injection process all over again :p

Maybe there's no way to set it up as you want, all this thing is pretty experimental and trial error. I for example managed to inject Pokemon SoulSilver with original manual :D, pretty cool stuff :3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXFPykPWprg

Does that actually work fully, without patching the ROM, including normal (not savestate) save / resume ? The IR games (so HG / SS through B2W2) needed special save type support to save*, I'm surprised Nintendo implemented that in their DS emulator since they have no official releases that use it.

* The IR chip and save functions used the same addresses and needed special commands to switch modes IIRC.

OP is stuck on the 5.5.1 hacking solution, but I read on GBATemp that there's a less capable 5.5.2 hack? Where can I read some tut's on that?

The 5.5.2 entry hack is very very hit & miss and should only really be used for setting up Haxchi / CBHC (which will require a legitimately purchased DS Virtual Console game from your Wii Us eshop), but you can read about it and how to install a more permanent solution from it here: https://wiiu.guide/get-started

TunaLover

Does that actually work fully, without patching the ROM, including normal (not savestate) save / resume ? The IR games (so HG / SS through B2W2) needed special save type support to save*, I'm surprised Nintendo implemented that in their DS emulator since they have no official releases that use it.

* The IR chip and save functions used the same addresses and needed special commands to switch modes IIRC.
Yeah internal saves work fine :), I haven't played it throughfuly so I can't tell about other original game features.

But the "saving a lot of stuff" works xD

Amon37

I forgot, I hacked the vWii awhile back but the mii channel doesn't work, can someone refresh my memory on how I can get that back create Mii's?

I forgot, I hacked the vWii awhile back but the mii channel doesn't work, can someone refresh my memory on how I can get that back create Mii's?

You need to restore the Mii Channel backup you made when you injected the Homebrew Channel installer into it's slot , using the same Wii U homebrew app you used in the first place.

So turns out I have 5.5.1 firmware after all and hacked my vWii through the Homebrew Loader and WUPHax, but can I safely access the eShop to download a DS game while on 5.5.1 with the modified DNS addresses, or do I have to update to 5.5.2 to get a DS game, thus making it reportedly harder to hack in the first place?

Or is there another perma-hack I'm not familiar with?

Edit: Because I would like to be able to go back on the eShop and buy another Virtual Console game or two like maybe SF Alpha 2 which was taken off the Wii Shop Channel a while back.

catabarez

So turns out I have 5.5.1 firmware after all and hacked my vWii through the Homebrew Loader and WUPHax, but can I safely access the eShop to download a DS game while on 5.5.1 with the modified DNS addresses, or do I have to update to 5.5.2 to get a DS game, thus making it reportedly harder to hack in the first place?

Or is there another perma-hack I'm not familiar with?

Edit: Because I would like to be able to go back on the eShop and buy another Virtual Console game or two like maybe SF Alpha 2 which was taken off the Wii Shop Channel a while back.

Use nnupatcher to access the eshop.

Use nnupatcher to access the eshop.
It worked! Thanks!

Now all I need is to figure out why DDD won't dump my VC games. Am I supposed to put in the command line, um, command before selecting the Wii U game to dump? How do I know when it's started working? I tried this format:
Code:
titledumper.exe /vol E:/WiiUVC/EarthboundZero
But after starting the game, nothing would happen like I read it would (game freezes while being dumped, I think?).

Edit: it won't let me use the correct backslashes in my DOS command here so I used the forward slashes.

Hey all

Is there piece of homebrew out yet that can change the RGB from Limited to Full? I'm playing on a monitor that can only handle Full.

Thanks!

TunaLover

I prepared a patch for XCX bgm, it's much enjoyable without lyrics!

The patch is for the USA version, for European fellows you only need to change the folder name in sdcafiine to 00050000101C4C00

Just run sdcafiine through HBL, with the contents on the SD, start the game.

Features:
  • Muted NLA night
  • Exchanged "Don't Worry" (Skell flying theme) for "MONOX" (title screen theme),
  • Exchanged "Black Tar" for a lyricless version
  • Exchanged "Wir fliegen" (overdrive theme) for the lyricless one (in game),
  • Exchanged "In the Forest" (Ygg Zero theme) for the lyricless one (in game)
  • Exchanged "Uncontrollable" for the lyricless one (in game)
  • Cutscenes lyrics could cause problem because the .wav lenght miss match and loop, but I don't find them annoying anyway, ex: "so nah, so fern", "by my side", "the way", "the key we lost" (there's no instrumental version of "the key we lost" in game saddly).

...and it's MUCH more enjoyable game now :)

ReBirFh

Whats the current best way to enable homebrew on Wii U without losing my legit bought games? Last time I played was in the month BotW was released

Whats the current best way to enable homebrew on Wii U without losing my legit bought games? Last time I played was in the month BotW was released

https://wiiu.guide/ Just follow this guide its really straight forward. You will need to sacrifice 1 official DS game from the eShop but you will still retain all of your purchases and can still access the eShop.

Top Bottom