• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is now as old as the DreamCast when it got discontinued, sold worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
DreamCast only lasted that long...? Sure felt like a lot longer, back then.

antitrop

Except Wiiu is great hardware...
t7OJp5c.png

ReyVGM

Jesus christ. People are still spreading this a news? The DC might have been discontinied March 2001, but it didn't magically stop selling on that same day.
And the 5.8 million wiiu is up to december 2013.

Jesus christ. People are still spreading this a news? The DC might have been discontinied March 2001, but it didn't magically stop selling on that same day.

So the Wii U is now at 6 million or so after 16 months.

Allan & Nicole will save the Wii U!

Fixd

On topic Yes there are two different situations but that is still a poor number for the Wii U. It will over take the Dreamcast but when ?

That number is shipped who knows how much it has sold now.

McLovin

Sega had the Sega Saturn, Sega 32x, Sega CD, Gamegear(not sure if it was a failure but I remember hating mine), and the Dreamcast. And the DC was a pretty revolutionary console, it just came too late and couldn't save them. Nintendo just had the Wii U as a failure. The 3Ds almost, but they pulled through on that one. We'll have to see 2 more Wii U like scenarios for Nintendo to go 3rd party.

And sadly the Dreamcast arguably had better games library...

Yeah. Great variety including the most ambitious title of it's time, Shenmue.
WiiU has by the numbers platformer sequels, minigames without an actual audience left and barely a handful of decent niche games. There has yet to be a showcase title for the system, one and a half years in.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm curious what PS3 numbers were at this time. I know they are better than Wii U's, but I know they took a long time to ramp up.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lmao thats being generous...I can't think of any classics from that system...

Dreamcast had the most creative output of any console in that space of time. Sega gave all their internal studios complete freedom to do what they wanted.

Phantasy Star Online alone was groundbreaking.

Dysun

We all know sega was worse off, no need for a history lesson. The Wii > Wii U transition is an epic failure

I love how Dreamcast has been able to linger as this dark cloud over the industry for more than 10 years now. Its like the console is immortalized through its premature death.

PS2 is the warrior who came, conquered and left. Dreamcast is the creepy kid, who died in the attic and still haunts the dreams of men everywhere.

It's immortalized due to being a console that did everything right but died anyway, almost entirely due to the fuckups of its predecessors. Wii U is almost an inversion in that sense- a console that did everything wrong, but will likely wind up "living" through most of the generation off of the war chest of its predecessor.

DNAbro

As long as Nintendo doesn't discontinue the Wii U, it should outsell the DreamCast. Dear god I hope it manages that in its lifetime. Point is buy a Wii U for Kart, Zelda, and Smash.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
the DC was a pretty revolutionary console
nah
VMU was neat but what else?

Internet? even sega had been working with online gaming with the sega channel on genesis and the net link on Saturn.

garbage controller? again sadly sega had the rug pulled out from under them by Nintendo who popularized garbage controllers with the N64

Malio

If the Wii U was going to be discontinued, it would have happened already. Nintendo will stick with it for as long as they have to.

You're right, "as long as they have to". Which unfortunately I see as, they aren't going to put any more effort into it than they have to. Maybe 3-4 more must-have games from them before they hang up the Wii U with good riddance and introduce that hybrid handheld/console thing. The rest of the support on Wii U will come from indies...and that's fucking sad.

ironcreed

Banned
The point is the Wii U is a enormous failure.

We all know that it has been a colossal failure up until this point. No news there. But thankfully, Nintendo is sitting on a dragon's hoard of gold and can more than afford to make the best of it. Sega did not have that option.

What's Wii U's attach rate these days? I remember reading that Dreamcast's was awful because of piracy.

Both consoles have some amazing games, I wouldn't be so quick to say that the Dreamcast has a better library.

I guess as a WiiU owner it's a really good thing Nintendo has a big war chest to fall back on until they figure out their next move, so at least well get some good games between now and when they take it out behind the shed.

De-mon

Lmao thats being generous...I can't think of any classics from that system...

Well.. Soul Calibur, Shenmue I & II, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, many Capcom & SNK fighting games (Marvel vs. Capcom, Jojo, The King of Fighters, Street Fighter III), Power Stone 1 & 2, Dead or Alive 2, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Daytona USA, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Phantasy Star Online, Grandia 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Skies of Arcadia, Space Channel 5, Virtua Striker 2, Virtua Tennis, Rez, and the best ports of many multiplatform games (Tony Hawk, Rayman 2, Soul Reaver, RE 2 & 3...).

List of Dreamcast games

nah
VMU was neat but what else?

Internet? even sega had been working with online gaming with the sega channel on genesis and the net link on Saturn.

garbage controller? again sadly sega had the rug pulled out from under them by Nintendo who popularized garbage controllers with the N64

DLC.

Virtual Console

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The DreamCast was an ambitious system with a plethora of great games. In comparison to the Wii U, the DreamCast was clearly the cutting edge console on the market for almost a year and a half. I still remember seeing Sonic Adventure and just being blown away by the visuals. The DreamCast was also the first console to bring console online gaming to the masses.

I mean. The DreamCast amassed more first-party online games during this span of time than Nintendo has on the Wii U. That's embarrassing!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
We all know that it has been a colossal failure up until this point. No news there. But thankfully, Nintendo is sitting on a dragon's hoard of gold and can more than afford to make the best of it. Sega did not have that option.

With 3DS not doing as good as they hope, can Nintendo even afford wasting the money they have on Wii U?

Ape

Banned
now wheres the updated image of this..

i7wFEoynrqM6W.png

Every time I see a chalkboard for this gen reminds me how much it must have hurt the Sony guys last time around.

Sorry, Nintendo but the WiiU is done. Let's just get it over with and move on.

This comparison is 100% meaningless. The Dreamcast was not discontinued due to poor sales - in fact, it was poor sales that helped it survive as long as it did. Sega was losing money on every Dreamcast sold, they couldn't afford to do so due to the financial situation the Saturn caused, and they ran out of money.

Also, they didn't just discontinue the Dreamcast, they went out of business. People always bring up Sega choosing to go software-only for third parties, and say Nintendo may do so, but what really happened was Sega went out of business, were purchased by another company, and that company didn't want to be in the console business, they bought Sega for their arcade machine expertise and their vast library of IP. They didn't know what to do with the console software side of the company, so they let them keep doing what they knew best, but for other consoles.

UberTag

The Dreamcast was ahead of its time and was a technical marvel. It even doubled as my sole link to the Internet for a year when my PC died.

The Wii U, meanwhile has... ummm... well, let's just say that Electronic Arts liked both systems equally and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom