• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even at $900 US+, AMD’s Entire Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core CPU Inventory Sold Out In Japan

thelastword

Banned
Amazing scenes were witnessed on the 30th of November when AMD officially launched the Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core CPU in the Japanese market. DIY builders who were anxiously waiting to try out the new 16 core mainstream processors had to wait in long queues all day and buy a coupon to confirm their order.

Entire AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core CPU Inventory Sold Out In Japan Before Hardware Retail Stores Even Opened

As reported by Akiba-pc.watch, sales for the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core processor were planned to initiate on the 30th of November (Sunday). Each store required users to get a purchase-ticket & wait in line at each store before they can pick up the flagship mainstream AM4 processor. Editor of Akiba-pc.watch, Isamu Kubo, stated that he was informed by shop keepers that some buyers even tried so line up during the night but that was prohibited so they were advised to come back early in the morning. That's a great show of enthusiasm from the DIY community for AMD's latest CPUs.

Many major retail outlets in Tokyo, including Computer Shop ARK, Sofmap AKIBA shop, Tsuskumo PC Main Store, Tsukumo DOS / V PC Building, Tsukumo eX. Computer Building, Dospara Akihabara Main Store and PC workshop Akihabara BUYMORE saw a good influx of Ryzen 9 3950X buyers. The numbers provided show that at least 200 people if not more, had lined up in queues just for the 16 core flagship. By the time each store opened, the entire Japanese Ryzen 9 3950X was sold out.

Not only that, but the price for the Ryzen 9 3950X suggested by the retailers was 100,000 Japanese Yen which equates to roughly $913 US. Even at $150+ more, the Ryzen 9 3950X was selling like hot cakes in the Japanese market which along with the Asian Pacific markets has recently seen a major spike in AMD's DIY CPU sales. AMD's Ryzen Threadripper 3970X sales were also lifted the same day and there were a good number of people who were buying the 32 core Zen 2 based chip too. The Ryzen Threadripper 3970X is priced at 260,000 Japanese Yen or $2370 US ($370 US more than the $1999 US MSRP).

Japan and Asian regions aren't the only markets where AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs are performing this well. The latest numbers from Mindfactory were reported by us just a few hours ago which show AMD simply killing it in November with a record number of CPUs sold and a record revenue at the biggest retailer in Germany.

AMD Decimates Intel With 82% Share At Germany’s Largest Retailer, Mindfactory.de

https://wccftech.com/amd-decimates-intel-with-82-share-at-germanys-largest-retailer-mindfactory-de/

Even at Amazon, AMD Ryzen 3000 and Ryzen processors in general, along with their black-Friday discounts have made them top the Bestseller CPU charts. More so, that even an MSI X570 $199.99 US motherboard has started showing up in the CPU bestseller charts which is because many users are buying it along with their Ryzen 3000 CPU purchase. Currently, AMD holds all of the top 10 CPU places on Amazon. There are also some amazing Ryzen CPU deals at Amazon right now such as:

The AMD Ryzen 3000 momentum isn't stopping anytime soon and with news already that AMD's Zen 3 based Ryzen 4000 processors are on the horizon, Intel's mainstream lineup would face the same demise as their HEDT platform.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-entire-inventory-outsold-japan-worldwide/

Scenes from Japan.....

qc3JqYM.jpg

TCE6ICE.jpg

wFVP8JV.jpg

ROLoee1.jpg

y6YGsbR.jpg

Reallink

Why though, what are they using them for? Given there are better gaming CPU's for half the price, I'm assuming these must be content creators or anime encoders.

thelastword

Banned
Why though, what are they using them for? Given there are better gaming CPU's for half the price, I'm assuming these must be content creators or anime encoders.
Gaming is not the only use for a CPU.....Check the video below to see the 3950x vs Intel's entire Cascade Lake Processors...…..3950x is one hell of a CPU and the Japanese and everyone around the world knows it...

Also, funny how the media is not publishing a million articles on the new kings of gaming, the threadripper 3970x and 3960x......

JordanN

Banned
They can render 3D Anime that no longer looks like a slideshow.

JXPruUb.jpg

I thought Japan wasnt into Pc gaming.
Nobody is buying these just for gaming. Nobody who isn't stupid, anyway.

That being said, Japanese people lined up for the 6, 8 and 12 core models too back when those came out earlier this year. They just love lining up for stuff in general.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

That's what u call a paper launch.

Also lol at those asians always standing in lines for shops who the fuck even does that. Just order it online lamo.

Last edited:
This happened with the 3900X too just a few months ago.

They launch with what they have to sell, once it's gone, then you wait for more to be restocked. Some people in Europe waited over 2 months to see a second shipment of 3900X, to the point where they were cancelling 3900X orders to join the 3950X preorder queue instead.

smbu2000

There are still stock problems for the 3900X as well here in Japan. About a month ago, I ended up ordering a 3900X from Amazon US and having it shipped to me here for my X570 build as it is hard to find one locally. At $499, even with customs and expedited shipping it cost me just slightly lower than the MSRP of the 3900X (with tax) in Japan.

Top Bottom