• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Nature Graphics Demo (Extended video + better looking segments in thread)

So weird that the pre-recorded version of the demo looked worse than the live demo in multiple ways.
They likely made the E3 video long ago, but were working on the actual engine for the demo up until the last moment.

Truth101

Banned
AceBandage said:
So weird that the pre-recorded version of the demo looked worse than the live demo in multiple ways.
They likely made the E3 video long ago, but were working on the actual engine for the demo up until the last moment.

I really want to know who made the Garden demo. =(

Likely an internal team from Nintendo. They wouldn't pay to have this made just to never use it again.
I bet this engine will be the basis for some future Wii U games for them.

Truth101

Banned
AceBandage said:
Likely an internal team from Nintendo. They wouldn't pay to have this made just to never use it again.

True this will be Nintendo's only ground up engine built for an HD console. When you think of it that way it is kinda cool seeing the little improvements that have been made over time, as the engine is probably still in development.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
AceBandage said:
A game with a relaxing japanese garden maybe? :)

Haha, well, they are still working on the Vitality Sensor, but I doubt we'll see it, even on the Wii U. It's just not a precise enough technology for gaming yet.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I want this to turn into a game where you play as a sparrow and eat bugs and fight hawks or something. I would buy the hell out of it.

AceBandage said:

future mark did their 3ds techdemo, I'm guessing it was the same for the garden demo. They have a similar styling too, with the whole japanese thing going on.

les papillons sexuels said:
future mark did their 3ds techdemo, I'm guessing it was the same for the garden demo. They have a similar styling too, with the whole japanese thing going on.

Really? I don't remember a 3DS Tech Demo.

Eradicate

Good finds Hero of Legend!

It is so interesting that it looks better on the floor than in the video they showed. I have to agree with AceBandage that they likely finished the E3 video a while back and had a chance to work on it more leading up to E3.

Bringing out the ignorance in me yet again, but would this demo "looking better" on the floor be a product of better hardware specs or better programming/usage of art assets? I'm just curious if the enhancements we're seeing are a product of better hardware or art design.

EDIT: I would LOVE if someone could combine the conference video with a good video of the floor demo, just to see the footage side by side.

Eradicate said:

It is so interesting that it looks better on the floor than in the video they showed. I have to agree with AceBandage that they likely finished the E3 video a while back and had a chance to work on it more leading up to E3.

Bringing out the ignorance in me yet again, but would this demo "looking better" on the floor be a product of better hardware specs or better programming/usage of art assets? I'm just curious if the enhancements we're seeing are a product of better hardware or art design.

Probably a bit of both. Engine refinement as well as better hardware. The improvements we're noticing are purely shader related, so it's like the conference video was done on version 1 dev kits, and the show room floor was done with version 2 (3?).

Truth101

Banned
Eradicate said:

EDIT: I would LOVE if someone could combine the conference video with a good video of the floor demo, just to see the footage side by side.

When they made the video for E3 the shell for the engine was probably done, that is the best way I know how to put it. So after the video was recorded they continued to work on the engine and that is where the improvements come from. It most likely has nothing to do with a hardware change.

I really don't know how to explain it well, sorry.

Truth101

Banned
none the less, I could still see futuremark being the one in charge of the wii-u techdemo.

There is one reason why I doubt an outside studio had anything to do with the tech demo.

Nintendo would not continue to pay them to develop the engine that runs the tech demo after the E3 video was already recorded, yet we are seeing improvement from when that video was recorded and what was playable at E3.

Exuro

Hero of Legend said:
Just watched the streamed and the off-screen versions, and saw another improvement:

Looks like they added more mapping on the bird and possibly better lighting.
Kind of crazy how much better the bird looks. Maybe it has to do with it being offscreen but the lighting and textures look greatly improved.

Truth101 said:
There is one reason why I doubt an outside studio had anything to do with the tech demo.

Nintendo would not continue to pay them to develop the engine that runs the tech demo after the E3 video was already recorded, yet we are seeing improvement from when that video was recorded and what was playable at E3.

maybe the build wasn't finished.

Truth101

Banned
maybe the build wasn't finished.

Yeah, it's obvious improvements were made between when the video was recorded and E3, but if it as strictly a tech demo, by an outside party, then there would be no reason for Nintendo to have them improve on it. Because Nintendo would not be able to do anything with the engine it is running on and then engine wouldn't most likely not even be able to run an actual game.

Now I'm not saying it isn't possible that it is by an outside party just that is far more likely to be an engine Nintendo is in the process of building for their HD games. But, if it is developed by an outside party Nintendo is probably paying them to create then engine and other than that it would be Nintendo's own engine.

Eradicate

AceBandage said:
Probably a bit of both. Engine refinement as well as better hardware. The improvements we're noticing are purely shader related, so it's like the conference video was done on version 1 dev kits, and the show room floor was done with version 2 (3?).
Truth101 said:
When they made the video for E3 the shell for the engine was probably done, that is the best way I know how to put it. So after the video was recorded they continued to work on the engine and that is where the improvements come from. It most likely has nothing to do with a hardware change.

I really don't know how to explain it well, sorry.

Thanks for the answers! That makes a lot of sense! It's all so interesting.

Assuming this was going to be used in a game at some point, I'd love for it to be Pikmin!

There's more!

4lletv.jpg

They beefed up the polygon count, look at the tail feathers. It's also a bit noticeable when the bird is up close just before it drops the flower; the wing tips are also smoother.

Plus, I could be wrong, but I think they added some sort of fur-shading, it's also a tad noticeable in the same up-close scene near the head.

Eradicate

Hero of Legend said:
There's more!

http://i55.tinypic.com/4lletv.jpg[IMG]

They beefed up the polygon count, look at the tail feathers. It's also a bit noticeable when the bird is up close just before it drops the flower; the wing tips are also smoother.

Plus, I could be wrong, but I think they added some sort of fur-shading, it's also a tad noticeable in the same up-close scene near the head.[/QUOTE]

Man, you are finding all sorts of things!

You should compile your findings into a list or something. Maybe having everything together can help identify what is actually being done, maybe help better point towards what hardware could be used because of new features becoming present.

Linkup

You can clearly see the lack of self-shadowing on the tree branch in the video vs the real-time demo, though that could mean they were just turned off in the video for whatever reason. They should have just ran the demo in real-time.

beast786

Linkup said:
You can clearly see the lack of self-shadowing on the tree branch in the video vs the real-time demo, though that could mean they were just turned off in the video for whatever reason. They should have just ran the demo in real-time.

But that means Cliffy B would had to be on the stage in the conference. ;P

There is no way it was internal. Otherwise why not just say that. Because everyone assume it would be.

That demo looks like UE and Epic.

It's very interesting to know that the E3 conference video of the Japanese Garden/Bird Demo is different than the live playable version on the show floor.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If the kits are indeed underclocked, I wonder if the specs we've been hearing are the true specs, or are instead the underclocked speeds.

antonz

herzogzwei1989 said:
It's very interesting to know that the E3 conference video of the Japanese Garden/Bird Demo is different than the live playable version on the show floor.

Demo reel footage for onstage was probably recorded from an earlier build. Gotta get everything done and reviewed for the conference with plenty of time to spare.

Its very obvious from the time they recorded video to the build on the floor quality improved a ton

antonz said:
Demo reel footage for onstage was probably recorded from an earlier build. Gotta get everything done and reviewed for the conference with plenty of time to spare.

Its very obvious from the time they recorded video to the build on the floor quality improved a ton

Isn't it normal that demo stuff is split off the main development at least 2 to 3 months in advance for video, and about half a year for playable demo purposes?

beast786 said:

There is no way it was internal. Otherwise why not just say that. Because everyone assume it would be.

I could see this being internal, has anyone said anything about it officially?

If Nintendo did do this and decided not to confirm it it could be because its a game they're not ready to show off yet. I could see this being Wii Relax ... I could see a chase scene between the Hawk/ Falcon and the lil bird being something that could get you excited and the fis and such chilling you out.

Log4Girlz

Epic is so damn good that in the 10 minutes they had to show the Demo again on the floor they added all them extra details. I'm shocked ;)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So... I know they were saying you can't leave the bedroom/house with this thing, but have they confirmed what the official distance is? I'd really be into this system if i could bring it into my roommate's room

Log4Girlz

Weird theory, but what if the lower quality video shown by Nintendo was the "tablet" version of the demo, while on the floor you got to see the Wii U render a super high res, high quality version on the big screen and a version with lower quality models on the tablet (swapping slightly lower quality models, like you see done with LOD in games).

Just a thought.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Medalion said:
I haven't seen this much dissecting of a tech demo's graphics since the walking Tree character from the early Gamecube unveiling

Remember Rebirth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QPaBCthCDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyXEMPaVHQ
Pre-emptive post in case people start posting that this proves tech demos are complete crap since GCN games didn't come close to this:
That was a demo of the GCN's FMV capability. It wasn't meant to represent what real time GCN games would look like. In the aftermath of the PSX FF games and the criticism of Nintendo for going cartridge, they created this to show that the new Nintendo console could now show your long CGI movies.
Seems like a useless thing to demonstrate, but it was a different time.

wsippel

Banned
beast786 said:

Some website (don't remember which one) asked Mike Capps at E3, and he said Epic had nothing to do with the tech demo.

Luigiv

Krev said:
Pre-emptive post in case people start posting that this proves tech demos are complete crap since GCN games didn't come close to this:
That was a demo of the GCN's FMV capability. It wasn't meant to represent what real time GCN games would look like. In the aftermath of the PSX FF games and the criticism of Nintendo for going cartridge, they created this to show that the new Nintendo console could now show your long CGI movies.
Seems like a useless thing to demonstrate, but it was a different time.
Also worth mention that there is one short real time segment in the middle of that video. It's pretty easy to spot if you know it's there.

Kenka

Now hurry and give me Pikmin 3 :)

I am impressed by the newest footages. The tech demo looks really nice now, it only makes me laugh to see that Nintendo prefered to show a preliminary version of its demo during the conference.

mushy45

Hero of Legend said:
There's more!

4lletv.jpg

Plus, I could be wrong, but I think they added some sort of fur-shading, it's also a tad noticeable in the same up-close scene near the head.

tree shadow :)

Kenka said:
Now hurry and give me Pikmin 3 :)

I am impressed by the newest footages. The tech demo looks really nice now, it only makes me laugh to see that Nintendo prefered to show a preliminary version of its demo during the conference.

That's Nintendo for you.

Top Bottom