• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Nature Graphics Demo (Extended video + better looking segments in thread)

Mr_Brit

Banned
jett said:
Did the water glitch at the end there? Looked really weird.

I've read it reports of the resolution dropping on the TV image when it streams games like that, so that's how it achieves that. Digital Foundry touched on this, actually.
Wow, that's really disappoiting. Can you imagine dropping from 1080p to 480p each time you use the controller.

jett said:

I've read it reports of the resolution dropping on the TV image when it streams games like that, so that's how it achieves that. Digital Foundry touched on this, actually.

In which video? I haven't noticed any water glitches.

Mr_Brit said:
Wow, that's really disappoiting. Can you imagine dropping from 1080p to 480p each time you use the controller.

That's.... not how it works...

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
In which video? I haven't noticed any water glitches.

That's.... not how it works...
Isn't it? That's what I got from what jett said unless you have any better information.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
jett said:

DF's mention seems to be about an actual game/demo. Wouldn't a resolution switch be visible in some of the higher quality videos of this tech demo? Or wouldn't jaggies be much more evident if it was running @ 480p the whole time (as it seems to show the controller view all the time, whether you're actively controlling it or not)?

Mr_Brit said:
Isn't it? That's what I got from what jett said unless you have any better information.

It's not going to go from 1080p to 480p... That's not even possible. They're talking about minor resolution drops.

jett said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Nsa06KRLo#t=4m28s ?

Yeah, that's a sand garden appearing as the bird flies over.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The rendering style reminds me of UE3, bits and pieces throughout but especially when it starts to rain and you can see the bird on the rock.

jett

D-Member
That's a weird looking effect in any case.

Alextended said:
DF's mention seems to be about an actual game/demo. Wouldn't a resolution switch be visible in some of the higher quality videos of this tech demo? Or wouldn't jaggies be much more evident if it was running @ 480p the whole time (as it seems to show the controller view all the time, whether you're actively controlling it or not)?

*shrugs* I can only tell what I've read, I wasn't there. :p I didn't say it dropped all the way to 480p, either. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was true, it's similar to the usual resolution drop when PS3 games render in 3D. It may be on a game-to-game basis like on the PS3, I've read that it specifically happens with the Zelda demo.

jett said:
That's a weird looking effect in any case.

*shrugs* I can only tell what I've read, I wasn't there. :p I didn't say it dropped all the way to 480p, either. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was true, it's similar to the usual resolution drop when PS3 games render in 3D. It may be on a game-to-game basis like on the PS3, I've read that it specifically happens with the Zelda demo.

They're showing off real time terrain deformation/creation. It's pretty common.

MrHicks said:
getting xbox tech demo vibes from this

robot3.jpg

That's the CG version, not real-time :p

onQ123

jett said:

watching this video I can't wait to see the games that take advantage of the WiiU, looks as good as I'll need for any games to look in the next few years.

then again I remember GT on the PS1 looking as good as I needed until the Dreamcast came out & made the PS1 games look bad to me , then GT3/4 for PS2 graphics seemed like they was as good as I needed to be satisfied until the 360/PS3 came a long, but than again GT4 still look pretty good to me if I don't look at it right after playing a PS3/Xbox360 game.

the way I see it these graphics will be perfect for a Nintendo console with HD Nintendo games because the type of games that Nintendo make don't really need super realistic graphics & unless the next XBox & PlayStation have graphics so crazy that it make real life look like wii games I don't see them making it hard to look at WiiU games anytime soon.

jett said:

Ahh, okay! So that's what that rumor said about getting the most out of the hardware when the special feature (streaming) is off; full TV res.

Nice trade-off, so when you just want to go gaga at the full-res clarity, just turn the stream off, and such and such, hopefully this is only for streaming, and not when the controller is used as a touch screen for inventory and whatnot (that should take very little power).

Hope devs consider that, and don't put both together; as in we don't have to lose the entire touch screen to get the full-res, just the streaming capabilities of it, but keep the "bottom screen" function of it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Captain Smoker said:
Don't know if this was posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Nsa06KRLo

In this version you can see that the system renders the game twice (as stated by some people at E3), for the TV & for the Controller.

I think you should consider this in future discussions.
It's easy to forget the system renders everything twice. People also do it for the 3DS (even though in that case it's less noticeable at first glance).

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Jocchan said:
It's easy to forget the system renders everything twice. People also do it for the 3DS (even though in that case it's less noticeable at first glance).
Looks like its running much slower on the controller than the screen? Frame rate issues?

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Looks like its running much slower on the controller than the screen? Frame rate issues?
Major frame rate issues on the controller view. Thankfully it's just a tech demo and not a finished game.

It could just be wireless interference from all the Wii U machines they have set up in that room.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Why would anyone want to be streaming the game to the TV screen and the controller at the same time? Isn't the whole point that you play using the controller's screen when someone commandeers the TV or you want a more portable-like experience?
Hopefully that actual games will display a static image like a map on the main display when you're streaming to the controller and not waste system resources.

Krev said:
Why would anyone want to be streaming the game to the TV screen and the controller at the same time? Isn't the whole point that you play using the controller's screen when someone commandeers the TV or you want a more portable-like experience?
Hopefully that actual games will display a static image like a map on the main display when you're streaming to the controller and not waste system resources.
Alternate views. Do you have no imagination?

Krev said:
The whole point of the screen is that it's supposed to give us new gameplay experiences. Being able to stream the game to the controller is just a bonus.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
He's still right, I can only really look at one view at a time anyway. Why cripple the game's visuals down to half to provide different views on the TV and on the controller? Some novelty based games like that baseball one might need it but overall I see no reason why one view shouldn't have something much more simplified than the same game a second time. It doesn't have to be just inventory screens or whatever people don't like the sound of. It could be a tron-like overhead view of the battlefield for tactical control in an FPS. Something that can be 3D, fully interactive in many ways, and enhancing the gameplay, but without requiring so much out of the system. A second view in that birds demo is just overkill showing the system's power, not something I expect or want to see in many games, outside multiplayer or similar uses where everyone expects a hit to the visuals.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
AndyMoogle said:
The whole point of the screen is that it's supposed to give us new gameplay experiences. Being able to stream the game to the controller is just a bonus.
Sure, I'm just saying that when you stream the game to the controller you're obviously playing off that screen and it doesn't make sense to waste system resources rendering to the TV simultaneously.

Alextended nailed it.

=HERO=

Neo Member
The other vids didn't show past when the eagle lands on the snowy roof, so we couldn't see the supposedly "amazing " snow effects. With the eagle just standing there, I was always thinking, and even up to right before the very end of this video, "Hmm, it looks pretty nice, I suppose". But then...

O.O

Everyone must watch this version.

leadbelly

Banned
duk said:
nice tech demo but we all know about tech demos

Exactly. They tell you absolutely nothing. How may tech demos have we seen that turn out to be totally non indicative of the actual games that are released on that machine?

leadbelly said:
Exactly. They tell you absolutely nothing. How may tech demos have we seen that turn out to be totally non indicative of the actual games that are released on that machine?

If you count Nintendo, only 1. The Zelda tech demo for the GC and Wind Waker looked very different.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think the whole nature demo is pretty nice, but there's some really bad clipping when the fish is swimming in the water.

wsippel

Banned
AceBandage said:
I'm super curious about who made this tech demo.
It's just such an odd thing to keep a secret.
My money is still on either Epic or Team Ninja. Really wonder why they wouldn't just outright say it either way, though.

And yes, the girl sure is cute.

leadbelly

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
If you count Nintendo, only 1. The Zelda tech demo for the GC and Wind Waker looked very different.

Wind Waker is kind of different in the sense that it was an early demo of an actual game. The early N64 tech demos were all bullshit pretty much.

leadbelly

Banned
AceBandage said:
Well, haven't Nintendo only used CG tech demos up until now?
I know that the GC ones were all CG.

Well, my main point about these sorts of tech demos is, people tend to look at them and think that's how the games will look once it is released. They never do though. They look very pretty, but they mean nothing.

Instro

leadbelly said:
Well, my main point about these sorts of tech demos is, people tend to look at them and think that's how the games will look once it is released. They never do though. They look very pretty, but they mean nothing.
Well not at launch anyway.

leadbelly said:
Wind Waker is kind of different in the sense that it was an early demo of an actual game. The early N64 tech demos were all bullshit pretty much.

Huh? What bullshit? All the demos originally shown when the N64 unveiled were all real. The final product actually looks better too.

leadbelly said:

It's hard to say in this case, though. This is a Nintendo tech demo, which means it was already going to be done well under budget since it likely won't be seen again.
Add to that it was made on early dev kits that were apparently horribly under clocked.

leadbelly

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Huh? What bullshit? All the demos originally shown when the N64 unveiled were all real. The final product actually looks better too.

It all depends when the demo was released really. I saw plenty of images and tech demos very early on of what the N64 would be capable of that were just total bullshit. If you remember, the main thing that was talked about with the N64 was it's Silicon Graphics chip. It was the same technology used in films like Terminator 2. So you'd get all these amazing images and tech demos that were like something from a movie. lol

leadbelly

Banned
AceBandage said:
It's hard to say in this case, though. This is a Nintendo tech demo, which means it was already going to be done well under budget since it likely won't be seen again.
Add to that it was made on early dev kits that were apparently horribly under clocked.

Yeah, but it's basically just a CG trailer running in real-time. There is no AI and more intensive things running in the background.

leadbelly said:
It all depends when the demo was released really. I saw plenty of images and tech demos very early on of what the N64 would be capable of that were just total bullshit. If you remember, the main thing that was talked about with the N64 was it's Silicon Graphics chip. It was the same technology used in films like Terminator 2. So you'd get all these amazing images and tech demos that were like something from a movie. lol

The only N64 screens I ever saw back in the day were the actual game. I remember the Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park comments, but they never said the graphics would be like that. They said it was based on the technology. I still have this really detailed interview with one of the guys from Silicon Graphics in the N64 debut issue in Next Generation magazine.

leadbelly

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
The only N64 screens I ever saw back in the day were the actual game. I remember the Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park comments, but they never said the graphics would be like that. They said it was based on the technology. I still have this really detailed interview with one of the guys from Silicon Graphics in the N64 debut issue in Next Generation magazine.

Yeah, watch that video. That was the sort of stuff I remember. :D

leadbelly said:
Yeah, watch that video. That was the sort of stuff I remember. :D

I never saw that video nor do I know what they're saying in that video.

Edit - Do we even know the context of that video? The first few seconds look like a very accurate representation of N64 graphics if you ask me. The stuff at the end doesn't even look like something Nintendo would do. I mean the art style.

leadbelly

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
I never saw that video nor do I know what they're saying in that video.

Edit - Do we even know the context of that video? The first few seconds look like a very accurate representation of N64 graphics if you ask me.

Yeah. It's not a very long video. There was some stuff particularly with the cityscape and the Eiffel Tower demo you see there that was just above what the N64 could do. Trust me, I remember seeing all this stuff in magazines when I was a kid and being totally wowed by it. It never turned out that way though

Just watched the streamed and the off-screen versions, and saw another improvement:

oawzma.jpg

Looks like they added more mapping on the bird and possibly better lighting.

Top Bottom