• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Nature Graphics Demo (Extended video + better looking segments in thread)

Zoramon089 said:
Huh? We know it's real time. For a fact. 100%

Sorry I did not know there was any confirmation on that. Not to be rude or anything, but can you please provide a source? I'm very very curious and interested. Thanks!

very unimpressed by everything in the video, especially the art direction of it. Honestly, you've got some great artists at nintendo yet the video showed next to nothing interesting, take a couple moments to show off highlights of what the tech can render. At least throw in a nice skybox or something to give off a sence of actual depth instead of this giant arena which is what it looks like.

If we're putting money on who did the demo, I'm guessing it's futuremark, reminds me a lot of this one.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/nintendo-3ds-gpu-tech-demo

except not nearly as polished or impressive.

Lonely1 said:
Well, Crytek stated that they wanted 8GB of RAM. SO maybe developers have higher expectations than what the bean counters are planning.

Ram is always going to be an issue for devs, I doubt they'll get four gigs. Most devs would love to be creating games on consoles with server size amounts of memory.

Oh, if we're going to talk about tech demo's with impressive stuff renderd in real time, why haven't we brought up the cinema 2.0 stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2fS9covXBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fzkHGch12c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1EJKifq6JM (start at around the 3:50 mark)

"real-time" with camera controlled interaction.

People talking about "better than PC" need to understand that we've barely scratched the surface on what's possible on PC because of consoles holding them back.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Clevinger said:
Oh, wow. I'm going to take all of these tech demos with a bag of salt if that's what the Gamecube was supposed to be able to do.

That was dolphin before nintendo gimped it. And only a few obvious portions were real time. There were a handful of games that did better and various parts of the rogue leader games were clearly above as well as RE4.

Agent X

Gold Member
This is the first I've seen of the demo (as I haven't watched Nintendo's conference yet). Very nice!

Is it far beyond the PS3 or Xbox 360? Tough to say for now (especially as this video was a bit grainy), but at the very least I'd say it rivals the high end of what we've seen on those systems. I'm sure things will get even better with another year or more to go before the system is released.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Agent X said:
This is the first I've seen of the demo (as I haven't watched Nintendo's conference yet). Very nice!

Is it far beyond the PS3 or Xbox 360? Tough to say for now (especially as this video was a bit grainy), but at the very least I'd say it rivals the high end of what we've seen on those systems. I'm sure things will get even better with another year or more to go before the system is released.

Anybody coming with this far more argument needs to study up on gpus and architecures and realize short of these companies spending massive money it's not happening again. The upgrades you see now will be more like what pc users get over 360/PS3 not only that we will barely see the difference unless devs spend time making ports and multiplatforms to have an advantage in graphics.

Until next generation when DX11 becomes standard what is not being used in power with pcs or with WiiU won't be seen.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Agent X said:

Anybody coming with this far more argument needs to study up on gpus and architecures and realize short of these companies spending massive money it's not happening again. The upgrades you see now will be more like what pc users get over 360/PS3 not only that we will barely see the difference unless devs spend time making ports and multiplatforms to have an advantage in graphics.

Until next generation when DX11 becomes standard what is not being used in power with pcs or with WiiU won't be seen.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Agent X said:

sorry double post due to net lag on att connection.

NewFresh

Sammy Samusu said:
I see what you did there GIF
KHirai.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
les papillons sexuels said:
very unimpressed by everything in the video, especially the art direction of it. Honestly, you've got some great artists at nintendo yet the video showed next to nothing interesting, take a couple moments to show off highlights of what the tech can render. At least throw in a nice skybox or something to give off a sence of actual depth instead of this giant arena which is what it looks like.

If we're putting money on who did the demo, I'm guessing it's futuremark, reminds me a lot of this one.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/nintendo-3ds-gpu-tech-demo

except not nearly as polished or impressive.

What kind of wooden floor allows for reflections? Fail.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The fact that Reggie gave a "tell" that this was not internally made by Nintendo, really destroyed my enthusiasm..

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
What's wrong with the controller?
It's a dual shock with a screen...
My main problem with the controller is lack of proper analog sticks. I can't imagine aiming with those circle pads. This is especially bad considering that the Wii remote's best feature was its accurate IR aiming.

Does anyone know why Nintendo went with circle pads instead of analog sticks this time?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
BocoDragon said:
The fact that Reggie gave a "tell" that this was not internally made by Nintendo, really destroyed my enthusiasm..

Why is that?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
herzogzwei1989 said:
Just for fun, here is the 'Garden & Butterfly' tech demo for the original Xbox from GDC 2000. It was running on not-final Xbox hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL7afLTEssc

Sorry it's very low-res, the only video I could find on it.
Surely Xbox games went on to render much more than a square room with a few objects in, even if at slightly lower quality? The only still somewhat impressive thing there is that the butterflies had shadows, though I doubt all of them did, probably only those very close to the camera.

dejay

Banned
Graphics matter now? Just checking.

Anyway, very nice - finally some eye candy from Nintendo. Looks like I'll picking a Nintendo console up this gen after all, especially with that Homer Car controller.

Now give me the ability to fly that fucking bird and I'll be hyped.

c_k_i_t3

game.watch.impress.co.jp has a page about the WiiU, it's all in Japanese so I don't know if there are any new info, hope someone can translate it.
They mention WHDI as a possible wireless interface for the WiiU Controller, but I doubt that since the controller screen is not in HD.

They also have pics of the back of the WiiU console unit hooked up to the TV, so I guess they have working prototype hardware.
hCsgp.jpg

Jlydi.jpg

The article:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20110610_451799.html

Further they have the WiiU nature demo direct feed. Too bad the video is not in HD resolution and is quite lowbitrate (maybe someone can upload it to youtube):

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/video/gmw/docs/451/799/html/n001.flv.html

c_k_i_t3

Father_Brain said:
That is definitely not 60fps.

My bad, I downloaded the video via firefox and looked at its properties and saw its was 60fps,
but now i think the movie is encoded at 60fps but the real demo runs in 30fps, gonna edit my post.

Is there any doubt that the system isn't stronger than the 360/PS3?

I was under the impression that it was undoubtedly more powerful, at least on par with some of today mid-range gaming PCs.

Thought I'd attempt some rough estimates of the dimensions. I measured the Wii usb ports myself, and for the length I measured the portion of the IR cable and assumed it was the same one on the WII U
wiiu.jpg

Part 2
wii.jpg

Indyana

slopeslider said:
Thought I'd attempt some rough estimates of the dimensions. I measured the Wii usb ports myself, and for the length I measured the portion of the IR cable and assumed it was the same one on the WII U http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/slopeslider90/wiiu.jpg
Part 2
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/slopeslider90/wii.jpg
We already have the official dimensions from the press release:

Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

Indyana said:
We already have the official dimensions from the press release:

Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
WELP
My length and height were kinda accurate, not so much with the width

slopeslider said:
Thought I'd attempt some rough estimates of the dimensions. I measured the Wii usb ports myself, and for the length I measured the portion of the IR cable and assumed it was the same one on the WII Uhttp://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/slopeslider90/wiiu.jpg[IMG]
Part 2
[IMG]http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/slopeslider90/wii.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]Nice work! This will be useful, at least for a visual look.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
slopeslider said:
Thought I'd attempt some rough estimates of the dimensions. I measured the Wii usb ports myself, and for the length I measured the portion of the IR cable and assumed it was the same one on the WII U
wiiu.jpg

Part 2
wii.jpg
Good job.

Hadn't seen the back of the wiiiu... Looks fairly huge when compared to wii. Got to believe that final design will be considerably more compact. Also, I wonder if the look is not a stopgap. As is, it doesn't have much personality.

Gahiggidy said:
Good job.

Hadn't seen the back of the wiiiu... Looks fairly huge when compared to wii. Got to believe that final design will be considerably more compact. Also, I wonder if the look is not a stopgap. As is, it doesn't have much personality.

Neither does the Wii. Or the 360, for that matter.

Gahiggidy said:
Good job.

Given the hardware I don't see why they'd make it more compact

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really liked this demo, definitely more interesting than the predictable Zelda one.

Curious who made it though if it wasn't inhouse.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AceBandage said:
Neither does the Wii. Or the 360, for that matter.
I disagree. Those shaved angles on the box and stand plus the blue disc light gave it a very Japanese vibe, IMO.

I won't comment on the design of the Microsoft Xbox 360.

defferoo

c_k_i_t3 said:
Further they have the WiiU nature demo direct feed. Too bad the video is not in HD resolution and is quite lowbitrate (maybe someone can upload it to youtube):

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/video/gmw/docs/451/799/html/n001.flv.html
That's the same video shown in the E3 press conference, just lower resolution than the feed from gametrailers which was HD. you can tell because in this one the tree doesn't have self-shadowing and the real-time demo has self-shadowing on the tree branches.

Gahiggidy

Daschysta said:
Rumoured specs suggest differently, so do the tech demo's. Why make those claims a year away? Especially when you can be burnt by lazy 3rd party ports after making promises?

If the system is anything resembling the rumored power 7 cpu AMD Radeon HD 4850 combo then it's not really near to the other two at all, but around 5x more powerful. Nintendo has never been in to talking specs...
I'm going to stop you right there. Nintendo used to LOVE taking specs prior to Wii. I remember well how for the GameCube launch they were very proud of their new kit and would openly discuss all the details of the hardware... even going so far as to setup interviews with technical journals for the engineers who worked on "dolphin". Between thier full unvieiling at E3-01 and the GameCube launch they tried very hard to hype the abilities of the console... but you know what happened? Again and again news stories covering the GameCube and Xbox launches claimed that that the Cube was far inferior to the PS2 and Xbox because of the meaningless spec that Cube could only do a tenth of the polygons per second(w/o effects!) as the other boxes. Not to mention the absurd idea that not being able to play DVD movies was a sign of less hardware power.

I think Nintendo knows now that they can't win a spec war with Sony. The moment Nintendo releases detailed specs on WiiU Sony will schedule a press event where they will wow reporters with their new research. From then on reporters will have a talking point on how though WiiU is powerful, it's numbers pale in comparison to whatever heck the PS4 is supposedly going to do.

wsippel

Banned
Jlydi.jpg

Now that's interesting. The thermal design seems to be quite similar to that of the Wii at a glance, with a slightly larger air outlet at the back, but more and larger air intakes. Also, whereas the Wii had the outlet centered, in this case it's off center. I would guess that the system uses a closed cooling system (big intake on the right side plus small intake on top -> outlet on the back) for the CPU and GPU in addition to an open cooling system for passively cooled components. So, while the case appears very similar in size, it looks like it's designed for more and/ or bigger components (more space for CPU, GPU, RAM), a much bigger airflow and therefore, a much higher cooling capability.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
wsippel said:
http://i.imgur.com/Jlydi.jpg[IMG]

Now that's interesting. The thermal design seems to be quite similar to that of the Wii at a glance, with a slightly larger air outlet at the back, but more and larger air intakes. Also, whereas the Wii had the outlet centered, in this case it's off center. I would guess that the system uses a closed cooling system (big intake on the right side plus small intake on top -> outlet on the back) for the CPU and GPU in addition to an open cooling system for passively cooled components. So, while the case appears very similar in size, it looks like it's designed for more and/ or bigger components (more space for CPU, GPU, RAM), a much bigger airflow and therefore, a much higher cooling capability.[/QUOTE]
Also, no GCN controller/memory card ports eating up space this time around.

Top Bottom