• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Nature Graphics Demo (Extended video + better looking segments in thread)

Schrade

Here's the actual post from Quaz (Famous pixel counter and also a NeoGAF member for a while now):

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1557974#post1557974
Quaz51 said:
Kaotik said:
And how have they counted 720p? From the crappy quality streams or mobile offscreen captures?
Zelda Tech demo screenshot http://h5.abload.de/img/untitled-1h886r8gc.jpg is 720p no AA
and Chase Me http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/video/HW_demo is 720p no AA too

we have no good video for tech demo with bird but the IQ seem low
i think the WiiU have a framebuffer built-in GPU and probably too small for 1080p or 720p with AA without tiling

I'm not sure how many times he's been wrong but I think the only time he got something wrong it was only by like 4 pixel lines. (I think that was Alan Wake)

Jinko

longdi said:
I am confident PS4 and 720 (the real next gen), would shame the U as was done to the Wii in graphics. :)

Of course they will, it will be like Dreamcast coming out in the middle of the generation only to get stomped on by PS2.

Although I think its kind of besides the point, its clear that the Wii-U is a much better attempt than the Wii and the difference between the Wii-u and the true next gen consoles will be a lot less noticeable due to diminishing returns and the fact they are all rendering in HD. (assuming the Wii-U can indeed rendered games at 1080p)

Mr_Brit

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I have an i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz and 2x GTX 570.

I still maintain that this looks better than anything on PC (outside of IQ concerns). I think the only game that might compete is Metro 2033.

I think this demo could be replicated using CryEngine 3 or UE3.5 (probably the two best lighting engines around)...but it just hasn't been done yet.
Not really. I can't think of an individual aspect of the demo that isn't bested by a current game. Lighting is better in Crysis 2, water is better in Crysis 1, fog/smoke is better in Metro 2033 etc. Whilst impressive it doesn't beat high end PC games.

wsippel

Banned
Krowley said:
Well there you go.. Interesting reading.

Pretty damn critical, although he does unambiguously confirm that the system has more raw power, which should silence any arguments about that.
The funny thing is that neither techdemo was rendered, and the press conference version of the Japanese Garden demo, the one he's talking about, didn't even show the really cool parts and had effects missing. Gustav Halling might work at DICE, but that doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. He actually just proved he doesn't.

Clevinger said:
Oh, wow. I'm going to take all of these tech demos with a bag of salt if that's what the Gamecube was supposed to be able to do.
Only a portion of Rebirth was real time, the idea being you wouldn't be able to pick out the real-time and the rendered content.

Jinko said:
Of course they will, it will be like Dreamcast coming out in the middle of the generation only to get stomped on by PS2.

Although I think its kind of besides the point, its clear that the Wii-U is a much better attempt than the Wii.

Both PS2 and 360 came out around a year before the competition and neither were stomped in terms of graphics...why is it that the Wii U, which is doing the same (because let's be honest, the next MS and Sony systems are probably coming in mid-late 2013), will be? And honestly, do some of you really think late 2012 is the "middle" of this generation? Really?

wsippel

Banned
NateDrake said:
That dev also said this:
Yeah, that's kinda odd. Even though he's underestimating the system, he still considers it far more powerful than any other platform. During the E3 press conference, I believe he tweeted that it was slightly less powerful than PS360, though. Honestly, it's probably better to just outright ignore anything this guys says.

Krowley

seady said:
Maybe that bird is Nintendo's next mascot.

Actually, this is the sort of game I wish more people would make.

It would be really cool to play a game where you fly around peacefully as a bird and eat bugs and stuff. In this era with modern graphical fidelity, a game like that could be really cool. They could design the gameplay around the bird-man stuff in the original pilot wings.

NateDrake

Zoramon089 said:
Both PS2 and 360 came out around a year before the competition and neither were stomped in terms of graphics...why is it that the Wii U, which is doing the same (because let's be honest, the next MS and Sony systems are probably coming in mid-late 2013), will be? And honestly, do some of you really think late 2012 is the "middle" of this generation? Really?
Because people see posts like these: http://www.gustavhalling.com/2011/06/08/wiiu-thoughts-nintendos-new-console/

And take everything as fact. *HE* thinks RAM will be an issue because what *THEY* want in the PS4/Xbox720 is greater than what Wii U has but there is no saying those systems will have that amount of RAM either.

If the Wii U is the PS2 of the next gen in terms of graphics then it'll be fine. HD was the big thing this gen and it really helped games but nothing of that sort is coming for next-gen. The biggest performance differences will be frame-rate, lighting, and native resolution increases likely. People expecting Avatar/LotR visuals from a PS4/xbox720 next-gen are going to be letdown.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
NateDrake said:
That dev also said this:
Yeah, like he tried to alter his words. He also said that this could change (i.e. Nintendo listens to devs and bring more RAM)

Also this is the reason that specs are not finalized yet. We can only hope that Nintendo listens to devs (EA in this case) for atleast some compromises with RAM issue.

Wow. This looks absolutely STUNNING.

Can't wait for PS4 and the new Xbox, as I have zero interest in this console if they plan on keeping that controller.

But if there's good third party-support and if we'll see a second controller that's more in line with the PS3/Xbox 360 controller, I will be all over this.

MNC said:
This reads like a bad post on GAF. First of all, why would anyone put stock in the opinion of someone who thought the Zelda demo was prerendered when it so clearly wasn't? It's equally bad in how it addresses price, storage format, and marketing, none of which we have a clear idea of yet. Then it complains that the controller screen isn't HD. Who the fuck needs 720p on a 6" screen???

Terrible analysis.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
This reads like a bad post on GAF. First of all, why would anyone put stock in the opinion of someone who thought the Zelda demo was prerendered when it so clearly wasn't? It's equally bad in how it addresses price, storage format, and marketing, none of which we have a clear idea of yet. Then it complains that the controller screen isn't HD. Who the fuck needs 720p on a 6" screen???

Terrible analysis.

Agreed.

Jinko

Zoramon089 said:

LOL I wasn't implying that it was the middle of the generation, I didn't realise my post would be picked apart in that way.

There is a good chance that both MS and Sony will be more aggressive in terms of hardware because they have to set themselves apart from their previous consoles, something Nintendo doesn't have to worry about.

360 did come out before PS3 but that was more down to Sony not being ready and having hardware issues.

And the Xbox kind of did stomp on the PS2 graphically although the PS2 did come into its own towards the end of its life, MS on the other hand dumped the Xbox as soon as it could.

Eradicate

Yeah, you can't make too much from every single game developer. He seems purely focused on PC, Sony, and Microsoft development. For one, the controller is NOT "a" console. Two, it basically does have Bluray, just not movie support. Third, those things were not rendered. Next, of course BF3 was "from [your] movies," as was everything else, and it was used as an example. Then, he later makes a comment about storage capabilities, of which they will definitely be there, and the dang CEO of EA got up there and mentioned leveraging downloadable aspects onto the console as a feature they WILL be using.

He just seems full of it to me.

Jinko said:
LOL I wasn't implying that it was the middle of the generation, I didn't realise my post would be picked apart in that way.

There is a good chance that both MS and Sony will be more aggressive in terms of hardware because they have to set themselves apart from their previous consoles, something Nintendo doesn't have to worry about.

360 did come out before PS3 but that was more down to Sony not being ready and having hardware issues.

And the Xbox kind of did stomp on the PS2 graphically although the PS2 did come into its own towards the end of its life, MS on the other hand dumped the Xbox as soon as it could.

But surely you can see how making a huge jump just isn't as feasible. Devs are already reaching limits in terms of budget and time that's already causing them to take less risks and do more "Hmm, this game is big right now, let's copy it!"

Not to mention I don't think Sony wants another $599 fiasco or a situation where they're losing too much per console (since the Vita is already said to be selling at a lost for the next 3 years). I honestly think these factors lead to a next gen where the consoles aren't take as huge a gap as in previous ones, seeing as how it seems like each subsequent gen has been a smaller leap

Oh and by stomped I mean like HD Twin -> Wii, which was a much larger gap than Xbox -> PS2

udivision

magicaltrevor said:
Wow. This looks absolutely STUNNING.

Can't wait for PS4 and the new Xbox, as I have zero interest in this console if they plan on keeping that controller.

But if there's good third party-support and if we'll see a second controller that's more in line with the PS3/Xbox 360 controller, I will be all over this.
Well, it's not all that different from the 360/ps3 controller, in terms of buttons. Also, you've never heard of the Classic Controller/Pro? This thing still uses wiimotes and add-ons...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Krowley said:
Actually, this is the sort of game I wish more people would make.

It would be really cool to play a game where you fly around peacefully as a bird and eat bugs and stuff. In this era with modern graphical fidelity, a game like that could be really cool. They could design the gameplay around the bird-man stuff in the original pilot wings.
Well, Crytek stated that they wanted 8GB of RAM. SO maybe developers have higher expectations than what the bean counters are planning.

TAS

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. ;) If this controller revolutionizes the industry (like Wiimote did with motion control) you can bet your bottom dollar Sony and MS will jump on the bandwagon.

ColonelColon said:
Why doesn't Nintendo just release direct feed 1080p video of these tech demos?

That would place emphasis on the console's power ahead of the innovation of the controller- clearly not what Nintendo had in mind for this E3 showing. We'll see the console's brute force graphics in time. Not this week though!

methodman

Banned
Green Scar said:
That would place emphasis on the console's power ahead of the innovation of the controller- clearly not what Nintendo had in mind for this E3 showing. We'll see the console's brute force graphics in time. Not this week though!

Yep. It seems like that's the direction that Nintendo is going with. No developer, other than that one working on Darksiders 2 (who said it was more powerful then ps3 / 360) that is working on the console has talked about any specs or anything. Crazy ninja shit going on

1-D_FTW

Gahiggidy said:
wOuld be pretty cool if the levels in pikmin 3 started out exactly like this, bird sweeping across landscape, only to end up focusing in on a tiny corner of the landscape as the leaf the hawk picks up drops from his clutch and drifts down to land besides olimarios spacecraft.

:)

I'd prefer it be a course in a new Waverace.

Krowley

Green Scar said:

Why in god's name would they want to deemphasize the graphical prowess of their console when it seems to be pretty decent in that regard? What would it hurt if people found out that the system had nice specs?

Having good graphics isn't a negative for anybody, and it wouldn't overshadow anything. The uniqueness of the controller would draw attention all by itself, and there would be less confusion about the system's power, which would make for a more positive reception.

Buggy Loop

All that wii money served for something i guess, a lot of money into R&D for a custom GPU, CPU, disc and perhaps even RAM, could still compete graphically with the competition's products even if they would release a year after. Its quite impressive to stream from console to the controller that flawlessly, there's an ammount of R&D here that no previous nintendo consoles ever got. Competitors might pick up off the shelve parts for easier R&D but will it be that advanced over wii U? Will sony even risk another R&D venture ala PS3 which put them in the red? Microsoft might but they have 2 consoles with pretty standard architectures, I would not think so. If we compare gamecube's architecture for its time, it was damn efficient, but i dont think they were even trying as much as Wii U back then.

Cant wait to see the Tokyo demo.

Zelda HD was already impressive to me, coming from a company like nintendo especially, lets face it, they're no EA digital illusion (battlefield3), ID (rage) or Naughty dog.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Krowley said:
Why in god's name would they want to deemphasize the graphical prowess of their console when it seems to be pretty decent in that regard? What would it hurt if people found out that the system had nice specs?

Having good graphics isn't a negative for anybody, and it wouldn't overshadow anything. The uniqueness of the controller would draw attention all by itself, and there would be less confusion about the system's power, which would make for a more positive reception.
I would say because its too difficult to effectively demonstrate the systems power at the moment. The spec aren't finalized and developers haven't had much time to make something truly exceptional.

I don't think there was anything they could have done that would have eliminated the FUDD we're seeing. There has been everything from gaming journalist wondering if this was just a controller for the Wii ('its looks weak') to developers calling realtime-demos renderings ('its too good to be true'). This trickles down to the forums so that those who want to dismiss it have an excuse. But in the end, it doesn't matter, because that confusion will be sorted out long before the system is ever released.

USC-fan

Banned
Looks good, nothing better than i seen with PS3 and x360 but thats all they needed to do. No reason to beat those consoles when third party games are design for the others gfx.

Not even sure it matches the tech demo for ps3. Have to wait for the real games next e3.

Always-honest said:

That says it all....

kinggroin

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Not really. I can't think of an individual aspect of the demo that isn't bested by a current game. Lighting is better in Crysis 2, water is better in Crysis 1, fog/smoke is better in Metro 2033 etc. Whilst impressive it doesn't beat high end PC games.

You'd actually have a solid argument had all those examples been one game.

J-Rock

Banned
Paracelsus said:
No. Analog slidepads, not analog sticks with button function, arguably a handicap.

I've yet to see anyone say the analog slide pads are on the level of being a "handicap". Stick button functions are pretty minor imo. Buttons won't be an issue like they were with the Wii remote.

Chao

Paracelsus said:
No. Analog slidepads, not analog sticks with button function, arguably a handicap.
You haven't tried the pad on the 3ds, have you? People at e3 who tried WiiU said the slide pads are even better than the 3ds'.
Also, as pointed out, is a dual shock with a huge fucking screen. What exactly do you think this controller can't do that regular controllers can? Stick clicks for sprinting? Do you realize that they can map much more stuff to the screen than what a regular controller could ever dream of? In the end you won't even need half of the buttons, surely there will be a free one for sprinting...

ombz

iamblades said:
I for one hate clicky sticks.

I always hit that shit on accident on 360, especially in racing games..
I agree, I always feel like I'm going to break the stick when I press it.

Thoraxes

longdi said:
i think the hdr is higher precision? the other parts look entirely capable to be done on ps3.
Demo looks "diminishing" because the WiiU tech is not as big leap as one would expect a full gen would be.

R700 with 512-1GB ram is nice but i will wait for PS4 before saying diminishing returns.
I think one thing most people are failing to look at is the difference between early PS3 and 360 games compared to what we have now. The early 360 games looked no better than slightly glorified GCN games at best, if even. If the WiiU can display native 1080p and boast greater graphical prowess right out of the gate, there's going to be some amazing looking titles in the future, that's for sure.

iamblades said:
I for one hate clicky sticks.

I always hit that shit on accident on 360, especially in racing games..

Yeah, I hate the click-sticks. I would be playing LA Noire and accidentally turn off my sirens during car chases. Annoying. I don't think I'll miss it.

If you need a pixel counter to tell you whether it's 720p or 1080p then it's a completely trivial matter. You won't notice it yourself. Why even care?

Mr_Brit said:
Sure, but what about a game that DOES IT ALL AT ONCE?

Picking it into pieces is a stupid argument.

I haven't had time to carefully read though this entire thread, but I just hope & pray that this Nature/Garden/Bird demo turns out to be real-time and not pre-rendered CGI/target render. It is indeed stunning, and that's kinda what "scares" me, that it'll be proven to be CGI.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I haven't had time to carefully read though this entire thread, but I just hope & pray that this Nature/Garden/Bird demo turns out to be real-time and not pre-rendered CGI/target render. It is indeed stunning, and that's kinda what "scares" me, that it'll be proven to be CGI.

Huh? We know it's real time. For a fact. 100%

Top Bottom