• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - No optical audio connector? Nintendo. Fix this!!

kodt

Banned
If your source is LPCM 5.1 and you plug your HDMI into your TV your TV would need to be re-encoding that source to DD5.1 on the fly and then sending it to your receiver. I could see if the source was DD5.1 and it just passed that same signal along with no need to re-encode. Optical cables do not have the ability to transmit a LPCM5.1 signal. Due to bandwidth constraints they max out at PCM2.0 or use compressed standards such as DD5.1 or DTS. Often people have receivers that when fed a stereo signal do a very shitty up-convert to multi channel but retains none of the positional audio characteristics because it is just extrapolating a stereo signal.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. It can pass through 5.1 DD, not PCM.

No, it can't.

So I don't get why no optical is a problem. Wii U would need to support DD first, then you can worry about an optical connector.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If the WiiU outputs 6 channel PCM and does not support DoblyDigital an optical connector does you no good anyway.

True. I'm assuming most people thought it could output at least AC3 as every component under the sun can.

Reallink

Not if you have even a halfway good receiver.

Typically higher end AVR's will have features like OSD overlays that absolutely introduce 16-32ms of video lag. Lower end models often lack such functionality and are generally less of a gamble if lag is a concern. You definitely want to avoid AVR's with OSD overlays, or make sure they have an option to bypass it that has actually been tested, measured, and timed by actual owners.

Matt

Typically higher end AVR's will have features like OSD overlays that absolutely introduce 16-32ms of video lag. Lower end models often lack such functionality and are generally less of a gamble. You definitely want to avoid AVR's with OSD overlays, or make sure they have an option to bypass it that has actually been measured and timed by other owners.

That is a good point.

Matt

Wait what? So are we SURE the Wii U won't support DD? And does that mean there's no way to get true 5.1? Seriously?

You do get true 5.1 on the Wii U. It's just not compressed with Dolby Digital. Hell, that could mean it sounds even better.

calder

I got hdmi inputs on my pionner receiver too but when the baby sleep I use my a50.By the way I was talking about the tech inside WiiU...
B5BD52F2-3649-489D-8325-99A0D7E1093E-4283-0000058B55DE1B8B.jpg

Hahaha how sad is it that I looked at your pic and immediately thought "ooh, a Pio like mine, wonder if it's a xx19 or later?" ;)

I waited and waited for a good, cheap AVR to come out with HDMI repeating a few years back and am so glad I did. I picked up the Pio 919AHK shortly after it's release in I think 2009 and have been so happy with it as an entry level AVR. Only now am I starting to think about replacing it, and that's only because I've been out of HDMI inputs for a while now (currently cable box, PS3 and AppleTV using all 3) and am thinking about next year when new consoles start coming out.

Man I still remember getting everything hooked up for the first time, turning my PS3 to bitstream and smiling at the DTS-HD MA on the Pioneer display. Greatest A/V placebo effect ever? Maybe. ;)

Iceblade

You do get true 5.1 on the Wii U. It's just not compressed with Dolby Digital. Hell, that could mean it sounds even better.

Oh, okay. So how would I go about using my optical-only speakers with the Wii U's HDMI? If I use some sort of transfer doohickey, will it still be 5.1? Sorry, I'm not much of a technophile when it comes to this stuff.

Layd Dly

I got hdmi inputs on my pionner receiver too but when the baby sleep I use my a50.By the way I was talking about the tech inside WiiU...

Clearly a licensing factor rather than tech. But having the WiiU support the traditional Audio Codecs is a a way more valid point than having optical output. As for Cans I just use My Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 plugged into my Receiver since it has Dolby Headphone and call it a day. Receiver is already doing the work why not let it handle the Cans too.

Matt

Oh, okay. So how would I go about using my optical-only speakers with the Wii U's HDMI? If I use some sort of transfer doohickey, will it still be 5.1? Sorry, I'm not much of a technophile when it comes to this stuff.

No. Unfortunately, you won't be able to get 5.1

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

There's no such thing as optical-only speakers. What hardware are you using to get sound, exactly?

AzaK

If your source is LPCM 5.1 and you plug your HDMI into your TV your TV would need to be re-encoding that source to DD5.1 on the fly and then sending it to your receiver. I could see if the source was DD5.1 and it just passed that same signal along with no need to re-encode. Optical cables do not have the ability to transmit a LPCM5.1 signal. Due to bandwidth constraints they max out at PCM2.0 or use compressed standards such as DD5.1 or DTS. Often people have receivers that when fed a stereo signal do a very shitty up-convert to multi channel but retains none of the positional audio characteristics because it is just extrapolating a stereo signal.

Thing is, I don't think there's anything wrong with DTS or DD5.1. Most people probably can't hear the difference. Not having optical (Especially if they don't do DPLII over steree like the Wii) is a right pain in the arse for me. it seems like there's enough people with older equipment that will require upgrading or some workaround.

Iceblade

There's no such thing as optical-only speakers. What hardware are you using to get sound, exactly?

I'm using Logitech Z906s. They have regular sound inputs as well, sure, but the only way to get 5.1 is with the optical, isn't it?

No. Unfortunately, you won't be able to get 5.1

Whaaaat? :( But I can if I use just straight HDMI without transferring between it and optical, right? Whyyysfjgjdgfsfdhfsd

Foxix Von

I'm using Logitech Z906s. They have regular sound inputs as well, sure, but the only way to get 5.1 is with the optical, isn't it?

Whaaaat? :( But I can if I use just straight HDMI without transferring between it and optical, right? Whyyysfjgjdgfsfdhfsd

Because Nintendo doesn't want to spend an additional $1 per console.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, if you want 5.1, you'd need optical. Since that's not an option... best thing you could probably do is just use RCA and if you really want it to use all your speakers, use the speakers' surround mode.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Clearly a licensing factor rather than tech. But having the WiiU support the traditional Audio Codecs is a a way more valid point than having optical output. As for Cans I just use My Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 plugged into my Receiver since it has Dolby Headphone and call it a day. Receiver is already doing the work why not let it handle the Cans too.
Well you are missing out on a mic if you use regular cans when gaming online.

Iceblade

Yeah, if you want 5.1, you'd need optical. Since that's not an option... best thing you could probably do is just use RCA and if you really want it to use all your speakers, use the speakers' surround mode.

For crying out loud Nintendo.... any reason why the 5.1 doesn't work if you use a HDMI to Optical cable?

Are we joking here? Wii U doesn't even support Dolby Digital? Basic ole Dolby Digital? Audio codec supported by $20 DVD players, Dolby Digital? Holy cow. This will have next to no effect on the general population that won't even understand the problem until after they sunk the cost, but that is crazy.

I mean I have the capable audio equipment to take advantage of 5.1 PCM, but wow....talk about cheap. I can't even wrap my head around that.

Fucking Nintendo. They haven't even added a RF modulator in the Wii U. How the fuck am I meant to connect it up to my old CRT 14" TV? You mean, I have to upgrade my AV equipment to something made this century? FUCK YOU NINTENDO etc etc

That's how it sounds to me as well.

I think my only problem is that I think my Receiver (an Onkyo) only has three HDMI outputs which are all being taken (PS3, HTPC, and DirecTV HD DVR) but I think I'll have to "downgrade" one of the systems to component/optical, probably the HD DVR)

I can understand people being inconvenienced like me above (with no HDMI ports at all even) but I find it a little odd that if people want to be THAT anal about Sound, I would think they would have upgraded to something with HDMI considering its bandwidth for DTSHD/THD/Uncompressed PCM audio for Blurays and such.

That's how it sounds to me as well.

I think my only problem is that I think my Receiver (an Onkyo) only has three HDMI outputs which are all being taken (PS3, HTPC, and DirecTV HD DVR) but I think I'll have to "downgrade" one of the systems to component/optical, probably the HD DVR)

I can understand people being inconvenienced like me above (with no HDMI ports at all even) but I find it a little odd that if people want to be THAT anal about Sound, I would think they would have upgraded to something with HDMI considering its bandwidth for DTSHD/THD/Uncompressed PCM audio for Blurays and such.

You woefully underestimate the general population, who's idea of a sound system are those Home Theaters in a Box with the built in blu ray/DVD, and no HDMI input.

Edit: Again there are DVD players that are $20 that support Dolby Digital, we should all expect a little more out of a $300+ console.

vg260

This is a bummer. I only have a receiver with optical. I didn't want to buy a new one anytime soon. I want surround, but am not that much of an audiophile. I don't think they're synonymous. I guess I'm one of those trapped in the past.

Matt

You woefully underestimate the general population, who's idea of a sound system are those Home Theaters in a Box with the built in blu ray/DVD, and no HDMI input.

Edit: Again there are DVD players that are $20 that support Dolby Digital, we should all expect a little more out of a $300+ console.

They don't have a choice. You can't get DVD certification without supporting DD.

loborzelda

Neo Member
I have an old Pioneer HTS-GS1 receiver with my PS3 connected via optical, and when I play back the LOST season 3 blu-ray (which has linear PCM 5.1 audio) it does play back as true 5.1. The receiver shows that the signal is DTS, but it's not. Although a few years ago before one of many PS3 updates this would not work, the sound would play back as stereo. So the Wii U's 5.1 PCM might work using an HDMI to optical adapter like this one...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2#description

...maybe?

Teletraan1

Banned
Thing is, I don't think there's anything wrong with DTS or DD5.1. Most people probably can't hear the difference. Not having optical (Especially if they don't do DPLII over steree like the Wii) is a right pain in the arse for me. it seems like there's enough people with older equipment that will require upgrading or some workaround.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with DD5.1 or DTS either. They both sound great to me. I am sure LPCM sounds better but the positional audio is what makes it for me. Hearing an enemy walking around in the tight confines of Dark Souls and knowing where they are by sound is awesome.

I was looking at some possible upgrades and they seem like downgrades with HDMI ports on them unless I spend a lot lol. Oh well. I posted my concerns in the WiiU Now in HD thread and got absolutely shredded by Nintendo fans. I was told that I was part of a small segment of potential WiiU buyers and Nintendo didn't have to cater to me. Everyone else will get this home and not even care. My issues were listed as absurd.

The lack of optical audio out is basically making me buy this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076R7K26/?tag=neogaf0e-20 .
I'll need an HDMI switcher as well, though.

My old Samsung HTIB has lasted me for more than a decade.

Gah. I've probably had my HTIB just as long or longer. It has served me well. I hate the idea of having to retire it, when I probably won't be able to hear a difference.

Off topic (slightly), but I am a big proponent of component style systems. If you are going to buy a tidy all in one system get something like the Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo systems where you get a legit receiver and speakers. That way if you have to update later all you would have to do is replace just the receiver, and keep the existing speakers. On top of that you can upgrade speakers and subwoofers at will.

Danny Dudekisser

Off topic (slightly), but I am a big proponent of component style systems. If you are going to buy a tidy all in one system get something like the Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo systems where you get a legit receiver and speakers. That way if you have to update later all you would have to do is replace just the receiver, and keep the existing speakers. On top of that you can upgrade speakers and subwoofers at will.

I agree with this.

You get what you pay for. Seriously.

And that's the exact same thing that tipped my interest in the Wii U to complete and total indifference.

It's been stated several times in the thread before that the only an incredibly small number of televisions actually have this as a viable alternative. Especially in the Wii U's case lacks DD/DTS anyway so all you'd get out if it is stereo audio.

Complete non-sequitur.

Top Bottom