• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - No optical audio connector? Nintendo. Fix this!!

majik13

I don't really think its absurd. Most HDMI TVs sold over the past several years will have an optical output to the TV. And most audio receivers will have HDMI inputs.

It's quite a niche, and I could see why Nintendo would not spend extra money putting a digital sound output on the unit.

For that niche, there must be some kind of general HDMI adaptor you can buy to separate the audio out to optical or coaxial digital output.

I skimmed the thread and keep seeing this mentioned...but

you have to remember that every optical out of a tv, does not pass through surround sound. It converts it down to stereo or no audio at all. It is part of DRM. Optical out of a tv, is there for only outputting digital audio from cable, that is it. It is stupid.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/system-setup-connection/53290-optical-out-new-hdtv.html

So if you do not have a correct receiver, there is no way to use the surround sound. as far as I know.

It is lame there is no toslink option. This has been an issue since they first unveiled the wii u.

AlStrong

Basically... what I'm asking is "how are they compressing the sound?"

The audio data will be compressed on the disc, some proprietary Nintendo format (either lossless or lossy) - it's the developer's choice. At runtime, those are decompressed into main memory as raw data. That goes through the audio engine (various effects & channel processing).

From there, devs can choose what mode of output. PCM is about as clean and direct as it gets. DD5.1, TrueHD, DTS etc all require a further encoding step of the sound data before being sent out.

I skimmed the thread and keep seeing this mentioned...but

you have to remember that every optical out of a tv, does not pass through surround sound. It converts it down to stereo or no audio at all. It is part of DRM. Optical out of a tv, is there for only outputting digital audio from cable, that is it. It is stupid.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/system-setup-connection/53290-optical-out-new-hdtv.html

So if you do not have a correct receiver, there is no way to use the surround sound. as far as I know.

It is lame there is no toslink option. This has been an issue since they first unveiled the wii u.

It does actually, at least on my set. I own a Sony 60EX720, my satellite receiver and Apple TV are connected to the TV via HDMI, with the optical out to my Denon receiver successfully passing Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when available.

Edit: However it might not work for the Wii U since it uses PCM only.

I don't think most people will give a shit.

Initially not, but there will be plenty of people that get home and will be upset over this. There will be those on christmas morning not able to get surround sound because they didn't know.

But ultimately you are right, I don't think it will affect sales. It's just weird and cheap to me though.

It does actually depending on your set. I own a Sony 60EX720, my satellite receiver and Apple TV are connected to the set via HDMI, with the optical out to my Denon receiver successfully passing Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when available.

If I am reading this correctly what is happening there is the cable box and Apple TV are sending the DD 5.1 and the TV is just passing it along because there is no bottleneck in bandwidth for 5.1 DD. With the Wii U 5.1 PCM (very large amount of bandwidth) will be sent via HDMI to the TV and bottlenecked into 2.0 PCM via optical to the receiver.

Pachinko

You know, it's 2012 if you can afford a decent home theatre setup then it can't be more then 5 years old, a timeframe which to the best of my knowledge had very few receivers that didn't have hdmi inputs and outputs. It's probably time to upgrade.

I mean I understand the frustration I really do- I want to upgrade to a 3dtv at some point and my 7.1 sound receiver doesn't do 3d pass through so there's really no easy solution outside of just saying screw it and buying a new receiver that DOES do 3d pass through. That should last me until 4K becomes a thing I guess....

You know, it's 2012 if you can afford a decent home theatre setup then it can't be more then 5 years old, a timeframe which to the best of my knowledge had very few receivers that didn't have hdmi inputs and outputs. It's probably time to upgrade.

I mean I understand the frustration I really do- I want to upgrade to a 3dtv at some point and my 7.1 sound receiver doesn't do 3d pass through so there's really no easy solution outside of just saying screw it and buying a new receiver that DOES do 3d pass through. That should last me until 4K becomes a thing I guess....

Again most people have not invested in audio systems like you and I have. They purchased those All in one systems with the built in Blu Ray/DVD players and those typically (some do) don't come with HDMI inputs. So this isn't just people that haven't upgraded their systems in 10 years, this affects people that have upgraded even this year.

Pachinko

Again most people have not invested in audio systems like you and I have. They purchased those All in one systems with the built in Blu Ray/DVD players and those typically (some do) don't come with HDMI inputs. So this isn't just people that haven't upgraded their systems in 10 years, this affects people that have upgraded even this year.

ah ok , I stand corrected then, because yeah that might be a bit of a piss off.

Fantasmo

Nevermind that, who upgrades a receiver if they don't have to? Once you have surround that's it. I don't need anything bigger or better. Receivers are supposed to last 10-20 years. They always have. Why would I even consider dropping anything extra? For Nintendo? If Nintendo can't spare the $5 per console I can't spare $300. PS4 or Xbox3 it is.
And if Xbox3 charges for Live my choice has become exceptionally easy.

majik13

It does actually, at least on my set. I own a Sony 60EX720, my satellite receiver and Apple TV are connected to the TV via HDMI, with the optical out to my Denon receiver successfully passing Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when available.

Edit: However it might not work for the Wii U since it uses PCM only.

Well I suppose it is the majority of tv's will not pass through surround. Not sure how some tvs avoid the DRM audio regulation. I know there are some ways for peopel to bypass it with some hacking though.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126666

but I guess it doesn't matter if the wii u audio cant be carried over toslink regardless.

Reading through this whole thread was actually quite interesting, and I learned a lot. I've neglected learning about the audio-side of tech, mainly because I don't have the money for a nice setup as a broke college kid.

Very glad I read through all of this, now I feel I will be informed when I actually do decide to get a nice setup.

It's relatively inexpensive to get a new, entry-to-mid level multichannel receiver for around 150-250 bucks, all of which have multiple HDMI inputs. Denon just recently introduced, for the first time ever, an entry-level line, and they are really, really good pieces of equipment.

edit: Caveat - a lot of those recievers with multiple HDMI inputs that can decode multichannel PCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS? They only do 5.1, with the ability to add powered rear surrounds through coax connections later, should you wish to do so. If you want 7.1 or 9.1, you'll probably have to hop up to 300-600 range.

Of course, I know that people are going to be hesitant to upgrade when they can buy a 30-50 dollar box that will work as a stopgap measure, but on the audio end of things, it's gotten a lot cheaper to achieve full bitrate uncompressed surround, which up until like 4 or 5 years ago, was still considered a pretty big luxury.

I'm more than willing to bet not only will toslink outs be almost completely obsolete in a couple years, but that the majority of blu-ray players will ship without them in that same time period, and that the coming Xbox and Playstation will also not have them. Maybe they'll still have coax digital outs, but I would not be surprised if the toslink/optical cable input/outputs just go away.

DjRoomba

Banned
That is only for the audio coming from the speakers on the gamepad, right? If you are playing a game on the TV, I bet that headphone jack won't help.

no. I actually think you can just plug in while youre playing, on gamepad or not. Really one of the Wii U's underrated features

I just noticed on the specs sheet and pics of the back side of the upcoming Wii U that they neither mention or show an optical audio connector or any other audio out connector.

They NEED to fix this.

Otherwise everyone without HDMI connector on their surround sound reciever won't get digital audio at all with Wii U. On 360 and PS3 they'll get beautiful DTS and Dolby Digital 7.1 sound etc. On Wii U they'll get analog stereo sound. Most people will probably just connect the HDMI in the TV and go with the TV sound.

I think this is unacceptable. They can't release a HD console in 2012 without some kind of digital audio connector except through HDMI. We can't all buy new sound recievers just to get Wii U to sound good.

Nintendo. FIX THIS!

Time for you to upgrade your receiver.

Poona

Wow.. really thought this would be allowed.

Surely they'd release an add-on that would allow it as Microsoft did with the 360?

Nintendo better put a RF adapter in there too!!!

nes_rf_adapter.jpg

pswii60

Input lag: I was under the impression that all AV Receivers add a very tiny amount of input-lag at least, even when simply passing through, hence I've always skipped the HDMI throughput on my receiver for consoles and fed the audio through it via optical. This seems to be the advice of HDTVTest, AVForums etc no matter which receiver you're using, so it sucks if we have to use HDMI through a receiver for the audio.

Foxix Von

Not lucky. The Wii U only outputs PCM 5.1 not Dolby Digital or DTS. Optical is only capable of carrying PCM 2.0.

Thread title should be updated. :(

Yeah the issue is a little broader in scope than just the lack of a built in toslink port. A thread title update would probably be a good idea.

The_Lump

Banned
Can't you go WiiU>HDMI>TV [disable tv audio] Then WiiU>Component>Receiver and set the WiiU to output audio over component? You can do similar with ps3.

jimi_dini

It's relatively inexpensive to get a new, entry-to-mid level multichannel receiver for around 150-250 bucks, all of which have multiple HDMI inputs. Denon just recently introduced, for the first time ever, an entry-level line, and they are really, really good pieces of equipment.

Excuse me, but I already own a top-notch receiver. I bought it, when my other Sony ES receiver broke down. It just doesn't feature HDMI in. Why should I waste much money to get a worse receiver just so that the Wii U will work with it.

I will wait for someone to try out that HDMI switcher with TOSlink/Coax. But if the Wii U really outputs PCM 5.1 and not Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS 5.1, then I guess everyone with such a receiver is screwed. Perfect reason to not buy a Wii U. I mean if I don't get surround, it's going to suck. And I won't pay 600$+ for the Wii U (receiver included).

And my LED outputs stereo PCM on the optical out. It truly sucks. Especially because Wii U won't show movies, that would require DRM. It's games for god's sake.

I mean even by brand new BluRay standalone player has coax out (and my receiver supports that too).

Foxix Von

Can't you go WiiU>HDMI>TV [disable tv audio] Then WiiU>Component>Receiver and set the WiiU to output audio over component? You can do similar with ps3.

That will still only yield stereo sound. This issue is about the Wii U being unable to output 5.1 audio over anything other than HDMI.

Teletraan1

Banned
Component is just stereo. Same as you will be getting with HDMI to your TV -> Optical Out to a receiver. The issue some people have is that there will be no Multichannel surround audio output unless you own an HDMI receiver or some sort of converter box that compresses DD5.1 or DTS on the fly for transport over optical. This is due to the WiiU only outputting LPCM sound. If it output DD5.1 through HDMI an adapter would be easy.

jambo

Dang. I'm currently using a set of Logitech Z-5500Ds, so I use optical when I play PS3 or 360.

I really should get a proper receiver and speaker set though...

twofold

Excuse me, but I already own a top-notch receiver. I bought it, when my other Sony ES receiver broke down. It just doesn't feature HDMI in. Why should I waste much money to get a worse receiver just so that the Wii U will work with it.

I will wait for someone to try out that HDMI switcher with TOSlink/Coax. But if the Wii U really outputs PCM 5.1 and not Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS 5.1, then I guess everyone with such a receiver is screwed. Perfect reason to not buy a Wii U. I mean if I don't get surround, it's going to suck. And I won't pay 600$+ for the Wii U (receiver included).

And my LED outputs stereo PCM on the optical out. It truly sucks. Especially because Wii U won't show movies, that would require DRM. It's games for god's sake.

I'm in the same boat. My brother used to work at a music shop and he snagged a £900 receiver at a cut down price of £300 because the box was damaged. It doesn't have support for HDMI but it sounds sublime. How much would I need to spend to replace it with a receiver of equivalent quality? Too much. I'm not going to spend £300+ just so I can play Wii U games in surround sound.

So, yeah, £199 Amazon pre-order cancelled. I'll consider picking up a Wii U further down the line if they decide to add an optical port.

iratA

I bought my receiver just before HDMI inputs were being added to them. Sorry, but it's still an awesome receiver and I don't feel like spending half a month's pay on a new one already.
This is where I'm at also. No Optical means the Wii-U is basically a no-buy for me at this point.

This is where I'm at also. No Optical means the Wii-U is basically a no-buy for me at this point.

that sucks, but it's safe to say you will give yourself the best gift ever if you buy a receiver with mutiple hdmi ports... cause everything right now is HDMI, from the consoles, to laptops, ipads, phones, dslr's, etc.. I was in the same position. And although i think optical is fine, it's just not future proof in any way.

Teletraan1

Banned
that sucks, but it's safe to say you will give yourself the best gift ever if you buy a receiver with mutiple hdmi ports... cause everything right now is HDMI, from the consoles, to laptops, ipads, phones, etc.. I was in the same position. And although i think optical is fine, it's just not future proof in any way.

I knew I was going to be coming into some money in October so I planned on a new PC build and I would have enough left over for a WiiU purchase but the more I found out about the system, these optical problems, no Ethernet port I soon realized I should probably put that money towards something else. Probably an HDMI receiver and then maybe pick up a WiiU at a later date when the Nintendo software I like hits.

I knew I was going to be coming into some money in October so I planned on a new PC build and I would have enough left over for a WiiU purchase but the more I found out about the system, these optical problems, no Ethernet port I soon realized I should probably put that money towards something else. Probably an HDMI receiver and then maybe pick up a WiiU at a later date when the Nintendo software I like hits.

yeah it sucks that we have to upgrade our shit once in a while. They keep coming up with new connectors for that very reason i think. HDMI will be replaced one day.. but HDMI will be fine for at least a decade i think.

Theonik

This seems weird to me. If the TV only outputs stereo... then why put an optical output at all? They should just put cheaper analog outs. I would imagine all optical output-equipped TVs pass 5.1.... If not, it would be baffling why not.
It all boils down to royalties and draconian DRM really. They don't want to let you get 5.1 outside HDMI and some manufacturers are also doing it because of royalties. As for the second point they already offer analog outs in addition to optical. As to why not use just that the answer is quite simple. When there are no royalties involved those TVs will output DD from their Digital TV tuners as needed and you need optical for that, they can't pass through because of DRM concerns, and in addition to that consumers demand that feature to be there. (saving on cables, sounding better than the internal hardware of the TV etc)

Besides this is all moot since the WiiU won't do DD through HDMI.

You can't live-encode DTSHDMA or DTHD and the WiiU doesn't support Blu-Ray movies so it's a waste of a licensing fee. When Nintendo is already quite stingy as shown by this move.

Did the ps3 do dts/ac3 pass through? Can't remember, but I thought it was mostly PCM out.
Fat PS3s will output LPCM, DTS and DD through their optical and HDMI outs. (BDs get decoded to 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM) PS3 Slims will do the same but also give the option of bitstreaming DTSHDMA and DTHD.

jimi_dini

Fat PS3s will output LPCM, DTS and DD through their optical and HDMI outs. (BDs get decoded to 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM)

BDs that contain Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD can get converted to regular Dolby Digital + regular DTS and both of those can be sent over TOSlink/Coax. Just like when using a standalone BluRay player. Actually DTS-HD contains a regular DTS stream, so that will just get sent. I'm not sure, if the same happens using a TrueHD audio track or if those are downmixed.

mclem

... where's input 1?

Not sure whether to go for a widget like that or a full HDMI reciever. I'm pretty much out of HDMI sockets on the telly as it stands - five devices that I regularly use using HDMI, four sockets, so I've been doing a lot of swapping as appropriate. A new reciever with a good pile of sockets would be delightful, although I dread the actual process of swapping over, since it's a minefield of cables back there... six speakers, two optical ins, one coax in (!), plus a whole bunch of basic L/R audio cables for my older stuff.

Time for you to upgrade your receiver.
I have a receiver I bought 6 years ago I'm perfectly happy with and at this point every piece of A/V hardware except for the Wii U will work with it. Why would I want to shell out another receiver because one manufacturer can't be arsed to support one of the same baseline codecs everyone else does?

... where's input 1?

Not sure whether to go for a widget like that or a full HDMI reciever. I'm pretty much out of HDMI sockets on the telly as it stands - five devices that I regularly use using HDMI, four sockets, so I've been doing a lot of swapping as appropriate. A new reciever with a good pile of sockets would be delightful, although I dread the actual process of swapping over, since it's a minefield of cables back there... six speakers, two optical ins, one coax in (!), plus a whole bunch of basic L/R audio cables for my older stuff.

On the front.

From the discussion in the thread, the consensus is these devices won't give the Wii U 5.1 over optical. You need an HDMI receiver.

iratA

that sucks, but it's safe to say you will give yourself the best gift ever if you buy a receiver with mutiple hdmi ports... cause everything right now is HDMI, from the consoles, to laptops, ipads, phones, dslr's, etc.. I was in the same position. And although i think optical is fine, it's just not future proof in any way.

Yeah I've thought briefly about upgrading my receiver before, but then its been servicing my needs just fine. To do it now with the added cost of of the Wii-U turns the whole thing into an expensive little affair. Given the option I would stream many of the games to the pad which I assume has its own speakers/audio output? It might not be such a biggie. That is until the next Galaxy game comes along with those blistering musical scores!

On the front.

From the discussion in the thread, the consensus is these devices won't give the Wii U 5.1 over optical. You need an HDMI receiver.
Depends if those device reencode the audio to a signal that will fit within the TOSLINK bandwidth limitations (which is the issue here).

I'm not an expert but wouldn't it be possible to deliver the 6 channels of LPCM signal over 6 analog RCA cables plugged on 6 analog inputs on the receiver's end?

Depends if those device reencode the audio to a signal that will fit within the TOSLINK bandwidth limitations (which is the issue here).

I'm not an expert but wouldn't it be possible to deliver the 6 channels of LPCM signal over 6 analog RCA cables plugged on 6 analog inputs on the receiver's end?

That would be a way a receiver could be designed, but I don't know of any receivers where six analog inputs are active at the same time and each designated for a different speaker. Nor do I know of any devices that output over six analog connectors. Maybe they exist though? One HDMI cable sure is easier. :/

As an aside, PCs typically use three 3.5mm stereo connectors to output 5.1 PCM. Four for 7.1.

Top Bottom