• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Premium and Zombi U for just £199 at HMV - a saving of £139.99.

maltrain

I would buy it if I could... only to sell it later for more to some naive who want a console that will have a cycle of two or three years with luck.

SmokyDave

Anecdotal, but I just went and picked mine up and I was the fifth person to have bought one today (the shops been open 40 minutes). They had two left but were expecting more today.

Seems £200 with NLand and Zombi-U is a tempting proposition.

noffles

Banned
Jesus fucking christ, I hope word spreads fast about this so that Nintendo doesn't just say, "fuck the UK," and cease their non-portable existence here.

Anecdotal, but I just went and picked mine up and I was the fifth person to have bought one today (the shops been open 40 minutes). They had two left but were expecting more today.

Seems to be lots of people over on hotukdeals picking one up across the country.

don't understand people who are saying they'll wait till it gets cheaper. This is as cheap as it will get! It's a great deal. £50 more than a PS3/360, with 2 games, nintendo network plus, and a tablet controller!

If you don't pick it up now, you're just not interested. Nothing to do with price. Some guy above saying it needs to be $50 is talking absolute shit.

nikatapi

Ι think this is a great offer, getting two good games along with all the Nintendo network offer, i fail to see a better deal coming in the rest of the year.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Ι think this is a great offer, getting two good games along with all the Nintendo network offer, i fail to see a better deal coming in the rest of the year.

I agree with this. Consider, Nintendo sell their 3DS XL handheld for £160 and that's with no games or even power supply. For £40 more you get a full console, a tablet controller, 2 games and the network premium.

I can definitely see premium+game bundles hitting £150 this year.

A price cut doesn't fix the release schedule which will continue to be a wasteland in traditional Nintendo fashion.

Once the new HD twins launch there's no way the Wii U will hold £100, the retailers will be baying for blood and demanding even more price cuts to shift stock.

Bleurgh, I'm still not interested. Although I don't think I would be at any price to be honest. As for people arguing that it's a good deal, that's only really true if the console has a future. Which is a bit chicken and egg, given its current place in the market.

I can definitely see premium+game bundles hitting £150 this year.
I think if that happens then it will officially be dead.

Jesus fucking christ, I hope word spreads fast about this so that Nintendo doesn't just say, "fuck the UK," and cease their non-portable existence here.
Iwata would be ejected from his seat before they pull out of the UK.

Not that I necessarily want him fired.

Neff

It's an amazing deal for what you get now, and future HD Nintendo/Platinum games alone. If you want more than that, then you're either cheap or impossible to please as a gamer.

Bumhead

Banned
I agree with this. Consider, Nintendo sell their 3DS XL handheld for £160 and that's with no games or power supply. For £40 more you get a full console, a tablet controller, 2 games and the network premium.

But that's not really an accurate comparison. Potentially, anyway. There's a whole different pandora's box of questions that gets sprung open in that scenario regarding the value of the 3DS vs the value of the Wii U, as things stand right now. It's not just about "well its only £40 more", especially when you're including really spurious stuff like "It has a tablet controller!". That's an integral component of the system and is needed for the system to operate, it's not an added value bonus.

Not that I'm shitting on this deal. It's a good deal. If you already want the console.

If you want more than that, then you're either cheap or impossible to please as a gamer.

Ugh..

Jofamo

Bleurgh, I'm still not interested. Although I don't think I would be at any price to be honest. As for people arguing that it's a good deal, that's only really true if the console has a future. Which is a bit chicken and egg, given its current place in the market.

I think if that happens then it will officially be dead.

It's not going anywhere in the next 2 years at least. And by then, You'll have Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD, new Zeldas, Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, X, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Yoshis Yarn and whatever other surprises Nintendo throw our way.

If you want those games, now is an excellent time to pick the console up.

It's not going anywhere in the next 2 years at least. And by then, You'll have Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD, new Zeldas, Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, X, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Yoshis Yarn and whatever other surprises Nintendo throw our way.

It could well be gone from most shops well before then. If that happens, I don't really expect Nintendo to keep pumping out software for it just because they've already started development because the sales will be abysmal. If they've got nothing to turn this around in the short term, I really don't see a future for the console.

Cmon, you really think it wont be at least £25-£50 cheaper by the time real next gen tech hits the shops.

..and there might actually be something worth playing by then, right now you'd just be spending £200 for a dust magnet.

Xun

Fuck sake.

My local HMV are doing the deal, but without ZombiU since they've run out of stock.

I won't be in London till monday, so it looks like I won't be able to take advantage of this deal... :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Fuck sake.

My local HMV are doing the deal, but without ZombiU since they've run out of stock.

I won't be in London till monday, so it looks like I won't be able to take advantage of this deal... :(
Did you ask if they'd let you get another game of same price? Or maybe an IOU or something.

Fuck sake.

The deal does not officially start until Monday, so more should be available.

Macleoid

Damn I got mine 3 weeks ago from zavvi for 225. I wasn't prepared to pay the full rrp, for what it is 200 ish is the right price for the premium.

I'm having lots of fun with mine, but I wouldn't have paid any more.

Acheteedo

I'll probably regret passing on this once E3 has been and gone, but I can't shell out £200 on the hope for some game announcements that interest me and a Zelda game that's barely started development.

Jofamo

Cmon, you really think it wont be at least £25-£50 cheaper by the time real next gen tech hits the shops.

..and there might actually be something worth playing by then, right now you'd just be spending £200 for a dust magnet.

I didn't say it might not get cheaper. Just that £200 for what you're getting there is fantastic value for money. I jumped on the £225 Zaavi deal, and that was without ZombiU included, and I thought that was great. Fact is, between Nintendoland, NSMBU, ZombiU and Monster Hunter ( and all the eShoo games) there's a lot to sink your teeth into.

wsippel

Banned

Could/ should actually be more expensive by the time the other next gen systems hit if Nintendo manages to stimulate demand.

Xun

Did you ask if they'd let you get another game of same price? Or maybe an IOU or something.
My dad was the guy who went in and asked, but they weren't budging with other games.

Luckily however he managed to get through to the Selfridges store and reserve it in there, so I'm about to head up to London in a bit.

StuBurns

Banned
Could you not buy this and trade the two games in for MonHun?
Well, I meant more once I can get the Premium and MonHun on Amazon so I don't have to go to a shop, but not really, Game don't take Nintendoland according to their website, and ZombiU is worth £15, but it's really more the convenience I'm after, I'm sure Amazon or ShopTo will match this any time now.

Nibel

Aw snap, it really happened :lol

Would love to read your impressions Dave

SmokyDave

Aw snap, it really happened :lol

Would love to read your impressions Dave
If I haven't died of old age by the time this update finishes, will do ;)

So far all I can really say is that I'm impressed it picked up my TV and cable box first try. Shame there's no support for my receiver though, kinda limits the functionality of the remote.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
This deal is smoking hot. Ess thaman Xbox with kinect. Can't believe people are still complaining about the price. This isles than the amazon.co.uk deal

its not worth it because the console is going to get a REAL pricedrop and probably a lot of game pack ins + whatnot when Nintendo tries to course correct.

buying now at this "cheaper" price, when we all know Nintendo is freaking out and needs to remedy this ASAP and it's probably happening/in the pipeline soon - say E3, makes this a terrible purchase decision.

plus currently, its still not worth it.

Dragnet

I think I'm gonna do this. And get MonHun. I haven't played one since the first one on PS2, but the GB Quick Look looked pretty good. What other games should I look out for? Anything on the eShop yet?

Nibel

Who the hell are you to determine if something is worth shit or not?

Nobody knows how good the pricedrop is going to be - this is NOT just a pricedrop from HMV; they are trying to get rid of their stock because they are closing soon in the future

You have serious issues Pachterballs, your agenda is getting annoying for a lot of people - same stuff in every Nintendo-related thread!

Neff

its not worth it because the console is going to get a REAL pricedrop and probably a lot of game pack ins + whatnot when Nintendo tries to course correct.

buying now at this "cheaper" price, when we all know Nintendo is freaking out and needs to remedy this ASAP and it's probably happening/in the pipeline soon - say E3, makes this a terrible purchase decision.

This isn't Nintendo's pricing. It's the pricing of an in-administration retailer desperately scrambling to shift inventory to help their bottom line during a perilous period. This is a phenomenal deal. Don't expect Nintendo to offer a deal sweeter than this, much less when they're currently selling the hardware at a loss.

When the 3ds price bombed in the UK i got mine for £115. Even now Nintendo still wants £130 for a new one. Sometimes jumping on deals like this is cheaper than official price drops later.

Battery life of the GamePad, install and loading times are still the consoles biggest problems. But there are actually enough games out to justify the purchase.

Now we need a price drop on Wii Remotes so people can enjoy Nintendoland properly.

NinjaBoiX

I just took a massive stack of unwanted games in to trade this morning. HMV don't accept trade anymore, so I got £250 at GAME. Surprise surprise they wouldn't match the WiiU bundle price.

So I got a white 3DSXL, MK7, SM3DL and OoT3D.

I'm happy with that!

Edit: side question, anyone got some quick store recommendations? I know Pushmo is meant to be good.

Bumhead

Banned
So if this is about HMV stock clearing, is anything else on sale or likely to be? I know they've had a BOGOF on blue cross products this week.

I've got a hankering for a Vita. Those 11 Vita games I own from PS+ aren't going to play themselves.

Top Bottom