• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Premium and Zombi U for just £199 at HMV - a saving of £139.99.

Those comments about the Wii U selling for a loss were based on the $ price surely. If they're selling the Wii u premium for 300 pounds and still making a loss, they need their heads examined.

Bumhead

Banned
Nah, not yet. Mostly been updating and checking out Nintendoland. Now dabbling with Zombi-U which I am less than impressed with, so far.

I liked ZombiU. I think it was easily the best launch game, and the only game I enjoyed before swiftly deciding to ditch the system. NSMBU is one of the most bland, boring and uninspired games I've played in a long time.

Might be bad news for you if you think the game is gimmicky, as I can quite easily see what little third party support the Wii U will get being either variants on this theme, maps and off-TV.

Jeels

Who the hell are you to determine if something is worth shit or not?

All the people saying "You'd have to be __________ not to buy it at this price!" are the ones who need this message.

Who are you to tell someone else what to do with their money?

Bert

£0.30p e-Shop title? I think it's switched to Punch Out now. It was F-Zero last week.

Pretty sure there is a sale on at the moment, I think there's a list of reductions somewhere..

Thanks man. Didn't even know there was a £0.30 eShop title. That is how little I've been interested before I got one today.

Just started off the update, it's 2013 Nintendo, can we get an estimated download time!?!?

meppi

Thanks man. Didn't even know there was a £0.30 eShop title. That is how little I've been interested before I got one today.

Just started off the update, it's 2013 Nintendo, can we get an estimated download time!?!?

Just a little heads-up. If you select to not download the update, it will download it in the background. That way you can play something instead of waiting for the bar to fill up.
You can do this with any downloads on the Wii U actually.

Nibel

All the people saying "You'd have to be __________ not to buy it at this price!" are the ones who need this message.

Who are you to tell someone else what to do with their money?

Way to spin my statement, but okay :lol

What I meant with my statements are suggestions: this is HMV selling out, not Nintendo - everyone who's slightly interested in the system or Nintendo games should consider buying this since it's not known how things will go in the future even if some people are certain that the price will go down even further what probably won't happen in my opinion since you won't get 2 games + Deluxe for 199 pounds.

Again, there are a bunch of fence sitters and this is a offer from HMV, not from Nintendo - who the hell knows what they are up to in the future. In the end, everybody has to determine for themselves what's worth 199 pounds and what not, but the poster I quoted is infamous for posting into threads about companies he clearly doesn't give a shit about - and everybody who reads GAF once or twice a day knows this and he knows it, too, so stop getting angry at me since I'm pretty dope

Bert

Just a little heads-up. If you select to not download the update, it will download it in the background. That way you can play something instead of waiting for the bar to fill up.
You can do this with any downloads on the Wii U actually.

I've started it, can I stop it now? Nothing seems to be responsive and I'm trained not to turn off computers during an update :D

EDIT: It just crapped out anyway. Boy this thing is sloooow. Not massively impressed, but then I'm yet to put a game in it!

SmokyDave

Naww ZomieU is a good game. I've only played an hour or so, but both my brother and bother-in-law have completed it and give it the thumbs up.
It's rubbish. Your brother and brother-in-law just want you to share their pain.

I actually really liked ZombiU, I haven't finished it yet but I liked the GamePad implementation a lot. It's definitely not a game for everyone, but I didn't really feel like the GamePad features were gimmicky, they're part of what makes the game tense and legitimately scary.
It's legitimately rubbish. That's why you haven't finished it yet. Because it's a launch-ass launch title.

I liked ZombiU. I think it was easily the best launch game, and the only game I enjoyed before swiftly deciding to ditch the system. NSMBU is one of the most bland, boring and uninspired games I've played in a long time.

Might be bad news for you if you think the game is gimmicky, as I can quite easily see what little third party support the Wii U will get being either variants on this theme, maps and off-TV.
It. Is. Rubbish.

I'm trying to enjoy it but I just can't shake the feeling that the game was designed solely to take advantage of all of the features all of the time, with no heed paid to what actually works. I'm going to finish it, but with gritted teeth.

Edit: also, for some reason it really winds me up when I'm looking at my TV and a message pops up saying 'please look at the gamepad'. I'm sure I'll get used to that though.

Neff

It's rubbish. Your brother and brother-in-law just want you to share their pain.

It's legitimately rubbish. That's why you haven't finished it yet. Because it's a launch-ass launch title.

It. Is. Rubbish.

I'm trying to enjoy it but I just can't shake the feeling that the game was designed solely to take advantage of all of the features all of the time, with no heed paid to what actually works. I'm going to finish it, but with gritted teeth.

It's not rubbish, because people enjoyed it. That means it's not rubbish.

Enjoy your Wii U!

LTWheels

I had some really problems doing the initial Wii U update. The internet connection kept failing and it only would work if I input the connection manually.

Then the update kept failing. There was zero progress on the download bar. I even moved the Wii U into the same room and it kept failing. It eventually worked when I placed the router on top of the Wii U...

Since then the wireless has been working perfectly. The room I keep my consoles in has poor wifi signal. The 360 slim often disconnects all the time and downloads very slowly in that room. The Wii U's wifi card seems to be much stronger. No disconnects and downloads at an ok speed from that room. Although I do wish it did had a built in ethernet port.

Raist

Banned
I have to imagine Nintendo is co-operating on this behind the scenes.

If HMV is taking a loss, they'll sell these until they're gone and likely won't restock Wii U until there's an official cut that allows them to sell at the same kind of price.

So I imagine Nintendo has to be crediting them, to avoid that loss of high street presence. I think the talk of retailer meetings with Nintendo on MCV was them basically giving Nintendo an ultimatum - help us sell this stock at this price, or we'll fire sale it and won't restock.

This screams "We need money now so let's clear up stuff" more than some kind of partnership with Nintendo. But either way, I doubt they'll go for such a cut. £50, maybe.

Mileena

Banned
It's not rubbish, because people enjoyed it. That means it's not rubbish.

Enjoy your Wii U!

People enjoy everything. We even have an Infinite Undiscovery defense force on GAF.

Of course, I don't agree with Dave on ZombiU but he's perfectly entitled to think it's a shit game. Lord knows I regret buying NSMBU based off all the positive GAF impressions. Now that is rubbish.

bitoriginal

Man, got the console for £199, yet Game think £50 for Monster Hunter is acceptable. Outrageous. Walked around town for an hour and guess what, no where else had it in stock so I fucking paid out. I'm getting serious buyers remorse now.

It. Is. Rubbish.

Edit: also, for some reason it really winds me up when I'm looking at my TV and a message pops up saying 'please look at the gamepad'. I'm sure I'll get used to that though.

Hey man don't be talking shit about Zombi U. I thought it was fantastic the way that you had to aim the sniper with the Gamepad. Sniper scopes just aren't something that can be achieved with games having a single screen. Or looking down and using a resistive touchscreen for your inventory. Can't have that experience anywhere else! It's not like the same thing could have been achieved by having a transparent overlay for an inventory.

And it's hardcore like Dark Souls or something (not that I ever played those games because I only had a Wii). You die and it throws you back to start but without all those pesky enemies. Boy, do I love walking with nothing else to do.

Bumhead

Banned
It. Is. Rubbish.

Fair enough.

But it is still the best launch game, and therefore still the best game on the system, other than probably Monster Hunter (which I've not played so can't speak of).

Genuinely looking forward to reading more of your impressions of your £199 purchase from here on in.

Man, got the console for £199, yet Game think £50 for Monster Hunter is acceptable. Outrageous. Walked around town for an hour and guess what, no where else had it in stock so I fucking paid out. I'm getting serious buyers remorse now.

You can't really complain about Game's prices if you willingly pay them. Especially when you're aware of how high they are.

AzaK

So I got one. Took it home, started updating it. After about an hour, it was nearly done!

Then the power went out. Bricked. Fuck.

Guess I'll see if HMV will exchange it tomorrow. Fuck.
Bricking due to power outage is some of the most amateurish engineering I've ever heard of. Good luck and hope you get a replacemen easily. Zombi U is awesome.

It. Is. Rubbish.

You. Are. Wrong.

bitoriginal

You can't really complain about Game's prices if you willingly pay them. Especially when you're aware of how high they are.

Umm, yes I can. I don't usually pay out to companies that charge silly money but I wanted it today and it was the only place I could get it. Games always retail new at £40, which I would have happily paid. They're charging full RRP cause they know no other high street retailer is stocking it, fuckers.

Xun

I'm kind of regretting my decision, but I know things will change and for the price I paid I'm not too upset.

Also I wish I wasn't forced to constantly look at the GamePad when navigating the system, but hopefully this will change in the OS update.

Welp, decided to pick up one of these today on a whim.

Below the impulse £200 price point I hope that I'll be able to get my money's worth out of the system this generation.

Nintendo still need to get their shit together and release some decent titles though...

bitoriginal

I'm seriously regretting my purchase, I can't even update this thing. I get an error code every time. I have no issues with any other pieces of hardware. So I've got an expensive paperweight atm. I've tried a few fixes from the internet but nothing works.

Anyone else having issues updating and if so did you find a way to resolve it?

LTWheels

I'm seriously regretting my purchase, I can't even update this thing. I get an error code every time. I have no issues with any other pieces of hardware. So I've got an expensive paperweight atm. I've tried a few fixes from the internet but nothing works.

Anyone else having issues updating and if so did you find a way to resolve it?

I had to manually input the internet details instead of having it discover them automatically for it to connect. To get it to update, it would only update when I had it literally touching the router. Any further away it kept failing.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am assuming the US will see something like this towards the release of the new Sony and MS consoles.

bitoriginal

I had to manually input the internet details instead of having it discover them automatically for it to connect. To get it to update, it would only update when I had it literally touching the router. Any further away it kept failing.

Cheers for the advice, it works! Still though, what the fuck. I've had to move it downstairs next to router and it's working. What the hell is that all about? At least it works without being plugged into a TV I guess, like a really unweildy portable that requires the mains.

Drago

Think the people who bought it first will get a rewards program like the 3DS?

I would hope so. 10 free N64 and 10 free Gamecube games, plus free Earthbound thrown in for NA and EU. That would make me happy.
I have no doubts that we'll see an official price drop before the end of the summer.

dc89

HMV Stockport tweeted before. Saying notice how we and the Manchester branch have no closing down signs in our windows. They expect good news soon.

WiiU has saved HMV. Who'd have thunk it?

Drago

I don't own a Wii U so can you explain what you just said.

If you buy a Deluxe WiiU, then you get 10% of your digital purchases back as "points", which can be redeemed for $5 codes on any Nintendo shop.

For the WiiU VC, there is a new .30¢ game every month. This month, you can buy Punch-Out for 30 cents (or glorious Earthbound if you live in Japan)

If the .30 cent thing is the ambassador program in disguise then consider me fucking disappointed. Most of the games they're giving out are games I don't like too much/would only play for a half hour, compared to the amazing GBA selection for 3DS :(

ccbfan

Damn that like 250 dollars U.S.

(250 Dollar * .66(Conversion) * 1.20(Tax) = 198

Plus you still get the ambassador bonus if they have one.

I was planning to buy when its 200 with system and a game but if a deal like this was to show up here, I'd pick one up on impulse purchase alone and take a chance with an upcoming ambassador program.

If you buy a Deluxe WiiU, then you get 10% of your digital purchases back as "points", which can be redeemed for $5 codes on any Nintendo shop.
I might as well clarify on why I said 8%-10%. The 10% is on the price of the purchase excluding tax. Given prices on the shop in Europe have tax included is makes it look like less than 10%.

netBuff

I might as well clarify on why I said 8%-10%. The 10% is on the price of the purchase excluding tax. Given prices on the shop in Europe have tax included is makes it look like less than 10%.

It looks like it's an 8% discount because it is. Any other percentage discount advertised to consumers includes tax.

SmokyDave

Ahem. Um, yeah...

...so, um, about that Zombi-U game...

S'pretty cool, isn't it?

Will provide actual impressions in the relevant thread at some point. Can't right now, busy caving in skulls with my bat.

It's the best 2D platformer ever made. It's not Nintendo's fault that some "gamers" care more about the graphics than the actual gameplay.

SmokyDave said:
Ahem. Um, yeah...

S'pretty cool, isn't it?

Will provide actual impressions in the relevant thread at some point. Can't right now, busy caving in skulls with my bat.
A true Survival Horror (gameplay-wise), with an astounding and terrific atmosphere thanks to it's next-gen lighting. It still has it's flaws (low-res textures, a bit low-poly and some bugs that will be fixed through a patch) but my greatest surprise of the whole last year for me.

123rl

Ahem. Um, yeah...

S'pretty cool, isn't it?

I am tempted at that price and Zombi U is one of the few games I really want. Is it good enough to justify a new console though?

netBuff

It's the best 2D platformer ever made. It's not Nintendo's fault that some "gamers" care more about the graphics than the actual gameplay.

With the amount of great platformers available nowadays, that seems like a pretty grand statement to me. I would call NSMBU "familiar", not "the best".

SmokyDave

I am tempted at that price and Zombi U is one of the few games I really want. Is it good enough to justify a new console though?
I can't give a rational answer to that because I like buying new hardware just for the sake of having new hardware, games be damned.

It probably isn't worth it if it's your only 'must-have' title. It's a cool game, certainly better than I first gave it credit for, but it isn't unmissable or anything.

ZombiU is definitely a grower... worth picking up if you get a WiiU; it's one of only a few exclusives worth buying the system for.

Funnily enough, most people were saying that this should have been the launch price. Had Nintendo still set the RRP in Europe, I think they may have pushed towards £200 rather than the £300 retailers settled on at launch.
Nintendo "sets" prices in Europe by setting the trade price at which they sell their wares to retailers.

"the trade price for the Basic Pack is £205, the Premium Pack has a trade cost of £246 and the ZombiU version (which includes the Premium Pack, a Pro Controller and a copy of Ubisoft's horror shooter ZombiU) has a cost price of £270."

So no, those dastardly retailers aren't the ones who made the Wii U expensive.

As already mentioned, HMV are likely getting some sort of retailer rebate for this deal. Considering the initial trade price, it's a hefty sum. But presumably, it will still be limited, so people should get in quick if they want it.

Top Bottom