• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucent

Tomorrow I check out nintendoland.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Especially if you play it with 3 or so other people. Those three chase games are amazing. Especially Luigi's Mansion and Sweet Day. Playing as the ghost in Luigi's Mansion is so hilarious. The game is like hide in seek except the person hiding is actively trying to sneak up on the people trying to find you or you're hiding and jumping out at them.

As much fun and laughs we had for a good 5 hours doing those I'd say I would've paid the $60 if I didn't get it with my console. =D

Shuken

Neo Member
I haven't found a post related, have anyone tried to use an hdd with wii u? I'm planning to use a 500gb usb powered hd, i will need a y cable to have extra power from wii u? How are the loading times?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How about the wiiU sales ?

Any idea ? any rumours ?

Nah. Sold out some places, not sold out others. Thing with launch day says is that launches almost always go quite well. Stock is limited as it's the very first shipment trying to make a specific day, and there's always a demand at lauch at the very least from system fans. Success of the Wii U will depend on sales figures after launch, as that's where the most interesting data comes from. A sharp drop off after the next shipment, for example, would not be good.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Nah. Sold out some places, not sold out others. Thing with launch day says is that launches almost always go quite well. Stock is limited as it's the very first shipment trying to make a specific day, and there's always a demand at lauch at the very least from system fans. Success of the Wii U will depend on sales figures after launch, as that's where the most interesting data comes from. A sharp drop off after the next shipment, for example, would not be good.

I think the GS waiting list might have hurt its sales... I know a few people in the "well I'll never find one" category who won't look

Atcha

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Do we have an official list of games that support the Pro Controller? I know NSMBU, Sonic and Scribblenauts don't support it.

Considering it's not compatible with Wii games and VC games, those InterWorks Pro Controllers with the SNES designs are looking much more enticing (and cheaper). Any positive experience with the Pro Controller?

Arcoril

Having a lot of trouble getting surround going. I have a Sony HT-DDW995 that supports HDMI audio. The Wii U is sending audio over HDMI, but it won't go into surround. When I select "Surround" in the Wii U system settings, it plays two of the chimes and the rest cut out.

I'm not sure what to do, I've tried everything it seems. If I set the Wii U to "surround" and play ZombiU, it just leaves out the channels instead of sending them to speakers. I'm really confused because my 360 & PS3 do surround just fine via HDMI.

Anyone experienced enough to help?

I'm getting the exact same thing. My receiver has a speaker diagram that lights up depending on the input signal. When I set the Wii U to surround, it's still showing up as 2.1 and I get the two chimes. Like you, I get full 5.1 from my PS360.

I've tried manually setting the source type to 5.1 and still get the same results. It really looks like the Wii U is only sending out 2.1 no matter what.

Data Ghost

Hi all,

2 quick questions:

1) The Wii U will be situated in my living room, will the gamepad still connect in the bedroom directly above it?

2) What kind of battery life are we seeing on the gamepad?

Sorry if these have been answered but this thread is loaded with info and comments.

Lucent

Hi all,

2 quick questions:

1) The Wii U will be situated in my living room, will the gamepad still connect in the bedroom directly above it?

Sorry if these have been answered but this thread is loaded with info and comments.

1) It really depends on the thickness of the floors/walls for the most part.

2) 3-5 is the general life on it at full-charge from my experience and what I've read. I know I got at least 4-5 hours on it first time.

Data Ghost

1) It really depends on the thickness of the floors/walls for the most part.

2) 3-5 is the general life on it at full-charge from my experience and what I've read. I know I got at least 4-5 hours on it first time.

Thank you for the ninja like speed of your reply, much appreciated!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
WiiU should have had an antenna connector on the back that you could attach an external antenna to. Then you could position that more centrally to your house, or eg up near the ceiling.

dwu8991

Banned
Hi all,

2 quick questions:

It will work above your room no problem at all !

deleted

WiiU should have had an antenna connector on the back that you could attach an external antenna to. Then you could position that more centrally to your house, or eg up near the ceiling.

My guess is there will be 3rd-party repeaters by the end of march, once they figured out how to provide a lag-free experience.

Dawn of the 3rd Day

Just woke up... saw the Blops multiplayer numbers for WiiU makes me want to try it today for the first time :3 (but I got so many games to get to muhahahahaha)

*head off pillow*arms reach for nearby gamepad) Wii U On... heh fuck TV I love this thing*

watershed

Banned
So to those who have a Wii U does it feel like a next gen experience?

Is the interface, the built in features, etc fresh? One thing that always interests me about new hardware is that next gen "feel". I don't mean simply graphics and I don't mean the fact that this is hardware following the previous gen but just how new and fresh the experience feels. The 360 and PS3 both gave me that feel as did the 3ds but the Wii, despite the motion controls, didn't. I'd love to hear people's opinions on this.

So to those who have a Wii U does it feel like a next gen experience?

Is the interface, the built in features, etc fresh? One thing that always interests me about new hardware is that next gen "feel". I don't mean simply graphics and I don't mean the fact that this is hardware following the previous gen but just how new and fresh the experience feels. The 360 and PS3 both gave me that feel as did the 3ds but the Wii, despite the motion controls, didn't. I'd love to hear people's opinions on this.

I think it feels more next gen than my 360 did. It can truly change the way you play console games. I don't feel like I have to set aside a chunk of time to play games with this thing. I can pick up the gamepad while watching tv, turn on the console, and start my game right from there if I want without ever interrupting what I was doing before. I didn't think this would be a feature that sold me on the system, but now I don't want to go back.

The UI might be slowish but I am loving my Wii U, even with the limited time I've been able to play it. GamePad play with NSMBU right before bed is awesome :).

Yopis

I think it feels more next gen than my 360 did. It can truly change the way you play console games. I don't feel like I have to set aside a chunk of time to play games with this thing. I can pick up the gamepad while watching tv, turn on the console, and start my game right from there if I want without ever interrupting what I was doing before. I didn't think this would be a feature that sold me on the system, but now I don't want to go back.

Pretty cool though it sounds like your playing a portable for the first time.

Is the UI still slow when not connected?

I'm just curious if all the busy network traffic is the issue or whether it's just actually poorly implemented.

Darko

Do we have an official list of games that support the Pro Controller? I know NSMBU, Sonic and Scribblenauts don't support it.

Considering it's not compatible with Wii games and VC games, those InterWorks Pro Controllers with the SNES designs are looking much more enticing (and cheaper). Any positive experience with the Pro Controller?

only game I have that it works with is black ops.. im returning mine today.... theres no exuse for it not to work with mario U....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is the UI still slow when not connected?

I'm just curious if all the busy network traffic is the issue or whether it's just actually poorly implemented.
Yeah, it's slow regardless. My router is having issues and I wasn't able to connect online last night so I was running locally. Same performance issues.

So how is the buzz for Wii U over there in the US? Is there any of the Wii launch hysteria or is it a little more subdued?
It's nothing like the original Wii.

codhand

I know everyone has been following my malfunctioning wii u camera story with eager apprehension, well good news, it randomly decide to start working, so I guess maybe it was a latency issue, or proximity issue, I sit rather close to my tv but regardless, Im happy again, except for my random crashes and sonic racing glitch, id consider myself all set.

tkscz

Can someone help me out with MiiVerse, I can't figure out how to get my Mii the show up as my avatar. It just shows up as a question mark.

Very. You have an expensive paperweight.

wow really? there's no way to fix it? you'd think they would tell you something like that more prominently when you were doing the update.

i mean, the power has been pretty spotted in my area lately, if that update was gonna take an hour or more it might have blinked out anyways

tkscz

the update was taking too long so i turned my system off. now it won't turn on.

how fucked am i

Really? I did that like 3 or 4 times and it never bricked on my, unless you mean during the actual update and not the download. You're boned if you did it during the actual update.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
the update was taking too long so i turned my system off. now it won't turn on.

how fucked am i

If you turned it off during the download then it should be fine, maybe, unless Nintendo very poorly designed their OS. If you turned it off during the update install you've bricked your system, and done the equivalent of pulling out a patients blood bag during a transfusion. You killed 'em.

EDIT: I see. That's odd. Call Nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom