• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Haha I love that the scrolling speed of Miiverse message boards can be stacked across both left and right sticks. Hold both down all the way and it just zooms by.

rpmurphy

Does that apply to the system update that occurs when you start the system for the first time?

I know you can update games in the background, at least, which is nice.
Yeah, I think the guy is talking about the system update.

Afterwards, in Download Management there's a System Update bar so background downloads of those seem to be possible. It's just unclear for the first time use.

Sarcasm

So I haven't got the system..but is 3 games worthy of a new system purchase? Especially since its brand new.

Also maybe...this may be me wanting..a MH console bundle down the road....

rpmurphy

Press HOME button while in game. Then go to MiiVerse and make a post. You'll be able to select either the image on the television, or the Game Pad and stick it to a post.
Also a caveat: you cannot screenshot everything, since there are times when pressing the home button is disabled. For example, Black Ops disables it for online multiplayer. Since the Wii U doesn't currently have media features, it's basically limited to posting directly to Miiverse via the home button.

There seems to be a lot of negativity about the system launch, with a lot of this coming from people who haven't even bought the system.

I just wondered, for those that did buy the Wii U, do you like it so far?

Jetku

There seems to be a lot of negativity about the system launch, with a lot of this coming from people who haven't even bought the system.

I love it, but there are quirks to deal with.

The slowness is better already, now that the mii verse is snappy. The loads between apps are still insane though

Krakatoa

I purhcased the Wii U on Launch day and I could not be more happy with it.

MiiVerse has me hooked. The Community on MiiVerse is fantastic, and everyone's friendly. It's a refreshing change from Xbox Live's racist chants.

I decided to use my Wii U to watch some YouTube vids (using the internet browser), and I found out that you can hide the video on the gamepad (while it remains on the television) and you can browse other web pages while watching a video. Awesome functionability.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

As expected for me, which means it's great. MiiVerse is actually more handy than I thought it would be and I've been enjoying NSMBU, Nintendo Land and ZombiU very much. System OS and MiiVerse was sluggish on the first day, but it's now really quick to switch between most sections of the OS. The only disappointment is how Nintendo is handling accounts still. It makes going digital a big risk.

Gritesh

I like it so far, I'm feeling better about my purchase after sitting down with it last night uninterrupted.

It may sound lame but one thing I like about it is I feel like it goes back to what makes games fun instead of what makes games look good. Don't get me wrong I love great graphics, but I can really appreciate gameplay focused games too :) Mario is a blast, haven't tried Nintendo land yet

smr00

Banned
Does anyone know how much space ZombiU takes up from the E-SHOP? I would rather just use the money on the E-Shop to get it if it isn't like 17gb. I assume it would be like 8ish GB total but from what i hear about the AC3 size i am scared.

Finally got updated last night and had my first real taste of the system. Lots of great potential here, really digging the Miis and the drawings on startup. Got my NNID set up also, add me!

NNID: delirium

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anyone know how much space ZombiU takes up from the E-SHOP? I would rather just use the money on the E-Shop to get it if it isn't like 17gb. I assume it would be like 8ish GB total but from what i hear about the AC3 size i am scared.

I forget the exact number, but it was around 5.7gb.

Kyuur

Love it, and everyone in my household loves it. I also own a PS3, 360 and a high end gaming PC. It doesn't do everything perfectly but it's still incredibly fun and mostly well designed.

@Deluxe owners, how to I redeem points from my digital purchases? Should it automatically happen or is there some process? I've bought NSMBU and Little Inferno and haven't noticed $5 being added to my wallet.

smr00

Banned
I forget the exact number, but it was around 5.7gb.
Really? That's not bad.

Guess i will just buy it on the E-Shop, i really want the physical edition but i have $50 sitting in the eshop and there isn't really anything else on that shop i care about and it would seem silly to not just use the eshop cash.

Drago

I'm having a very good time with it. I love everything about the GamePad, the OS is functional, and Miiverse is a great thing, a lot of fun to read and browse. The web browser is infinitely better than I ever expected, it works great. That's not to say there aren't quirks, though, but it hasn't been too bad for me. Slow loading and hard locks are pretty much my only issues so far. edit: Oh, and the uselessness of accounts is another terrible thing that Nintendo needs to fix IMMEDIATELY.

NSMBU is fantastic, and I hope to be getting Scribblenauts and Sonic in the mail tomorrow.

I like it so far, I'm feeling better about my purchase after sitting down with it last night uninterrupted.

It may sound lame but one thing I like about it is I feel like it goes back to what makes games fun instead of what makes games look good. Don't get me wrong I love great graphics, but I can really appreciate gameplay focused games too :) Mario is a blast, haven't tried Nintendo land yet

Trust me, I feel the same way. I think Nintendo has proven to us once again that games are not just about super high difficulty or the most ram crammed into a machine but the games that you play on them and if they are fun. Last gen hurt them a tad since they decided to not release a HD console. This go round, even if the new PS4/Xbox720 ends up being more powerful than the Wii U, at least it will still be able to compete.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

There are glitches and quirks, as with most launches or version 1.0s. But I'm very happy so far and am not really annoyed at anything to the point it makes a difference.

IMO there's a great deal of schadenfreude being spread around among watchers in the wings. People who apparently were waiting for confirmation that Nintendo sucks at everything, so each controversy that gets a news item is used for lol-farming. But then, this is not really different from any product launch - look at the acerbic comments every time a new Apple product launches and has problems.

The only two things that are really big issues are the disappointing problems in some of the rushed 3rd party games, and the day 1 issue with Nintendo accounts not having a transfer method yet off the system. Which doesn't affect anyone now. It just results in understandable concern about the future. But even there, there are over-reactions - some people spiraling out of control and saying there will never be any form of account or system transfer, if your system breaks you lose everything forever, etc. (Which FYI, was not ever the case with systems like the Wii, DSi, or 3DS.)

It's a platform launch. Emotions are running hot from we, geeks, who are overly invested in this shit. And sometimes have a great deal of trouble maintaining perspective. Irony: Miiverse itself is charmingly full of people who are having a blast and love the thing. Too casual to care about these critical issues, or just too happy? You decide, lol.

hey guys! these are games I am wondering about. If you own them please tell me how are they?

Little Inferno

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

AC3

Epic Mickey 2

Darksiders II

Transformers Prime

Batman ACA

rpmurphy

By the way, for those wondering about ordering additional GamePad AC adapters from Nintendo's online store, the part is backordered. :(

Hey, anybody know if there's a site/method for using Google chat in the Wii U browser? The default Gmail chat doesn't have a send button so I can't say anything.

JavyOO7

I think Wii U is fantastic so far and the Miiverse stuff has potential but Nintendo has to get their DRM stuff under control. And I have plenty of virtual console / Wii-Ware games that I would love to play on the game pad but I can't. It might happen or it might never happen. I don't blame people for being negative about the system. I really badly want to play Bit.Trip Runner on the gamepad, for instance.

Bii

So I haven't got the system..but is 3 games worthy of a new system purchase? Especially since its brand new.

Also maybe...this may be me wanting..a MH console bundle down the road....

I'd say it is. I only have 3 Wii U games (Nintendo Land, NSMBU and COD: BLOPSII) when I picked it up at launch and they'll keep me busy for a few months, especially since they all have multiplayer modes that I can either play online or locally. I do plan to pick up more games but only after I finish the ones I have. I'm trying my best to not create such a huge backlog for myself.

smr00

Banned
Oh wow i just realized you can get to the finalization of the purchase and it tells you the size of the game and you can either purchase or back out. You do have to have the correct funds to get to the point but i had no idea and i have no fucking idea why this size information isn't on the game information page because they clearly HAVE the information.

Yeah, Zombi U is 5.7GB (5737 MB to be exact)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh wow i just realized you can get to the finalization of the purchase and it tells you the size of the game and you can either purchase or back out. You do have to have the correct funds to get to the point but i had no idea and i have no fucking idea why this size information isn't on the game information page because they clearly HAVE the information.

Yeah, Zombi U is 5.7GB (5737 MB to be exact)

Yeah, pretty frustrating that I have to add funds before I can see the file size. I hope they fix that.

Wii U is absolutely fantastic IMO. Slow loading time between menus, yeah, but that's really the only complaint I have. Took me a little bit to get used to the gamepad size, but I'm already settled in.

AC3 was a 17 GB download, but only takes up 16GB after install.

Took like 6 hours to download it, then the install was 2 hours 5 minutes, then I had to download the day one patch that took about 20 minutes.

smr00

Banned
Yeah, pretty frustrating that I have to add funds before I can see the file size. I hope they fix that.
Blows my mind that the information is there and not on the game description.

Surprisingly the download is only going to take 1 hour and 57 minutes which to me is super fast, especially considering 5+ GB stuff on PSN takes me 4-5 hours.

crpav

Anyone know if this launch has been like the Wii in terms of supply and demand? I want one but the price is a turn off for me mainly because wife says no. I just think that the price may sway some parents to hold off at the moment. Reason I ask is my local wal mart still has them in stock which surprises me because the Wii launch was a sold out instantly.

cand

Lovin 'it . There's obviously some little problems here and there, but is not all that horror people that doesn't have the console are spreading. To be honest when I read about the blinking blue light problem I've got really worried cause my friend bought mine on Boston and then came back to Brazil with it. If mine was bricked I would be screwed. But everything was ok. I have a Basic one and I bought Zombi U. I'm having a blast with the game and the system. Miiverse is very cool and you always have something to do with the system. But I would recommend you to wait until everything system-wise gets stable , maybe after Japan launch everything will be ok.

About people complaining about the ports, I think is a time waste, everyone knows that games on launch are full of problems. Devs are still learning the limits of the console and some of them don't invest much effort in doin' it well. But it's no like the games are unplayable an awful. And the games can be patched too. No console on launch will satisfy every need you have. I takes time...

Wii U is absolutely fantastic IMO. Slow loading time between menus, yeah, but that's really the only complaint I have. Took me a little bit to get used to the gamepad size, but I'm already settled in.

AC3 was a 17 GB download, but only takes up 16GB after install.

Took like 6 hours to download it, then the install was 2 hours 5 minutes, then I had to download the day one patch that took about 20 minutes.

dayum, is this the largest eShop file right now?

undecided

Anyone know if this launch has been like the Wii in terms of supply and demand? I want one but the price is a turn off for me mainly because wife says no. I just think that the price may sway some parents to hold off at the moment. Reason I ask is my local wal mart still has them in stock which surprises me because the Wii launch was a sold out instantly.
I dont think that the demand is anywhere near the wii, but it is still sold out in most places that i have seen.
None of the non-gamers that I know seem to care about it at all. It doesnt compete with the 'tablet' demand for iPad/Android.

smr00

Banned
I think it's a location thing because when i tried getting one in my city every single store was sold out and when i mean everyone i mean i called every single wal-mart, target, kmart, sears, toys r us, gamestop, EB and best buy within a 2 hour driving distance.

Luckily my aunt found one when she was out of town. People are selling them for $500-600 on craigslist and they are actually selling :-/ . Do i think the demand is as big as Wii? No, i don't know if we will ever catch a phenomam like that for a console again but i can guarantee once black friday rolls around and it hits holiday shopping season you will be lucky to find one. Late Nov-Dec is when everyone will be flocking to get these for family members.

oatmeal

Banned
It's definitely lacking in the digital realm right now. I love that you can buy a ton of games on there, but it still seems light. I'm kind of bummed that the VC stuff didn't get moved to the eShop. It feels barebones with just the new releases.

And that it will take about 8 hours to download and install the bigger games is a big downer, removes any 'spontaneous' purchases. Well, you can, but you will regret it when you could have just run to the store and bought it (assuming you're in an area with something within 10-15 miles).

I took the controller up to bed with me and powered up and played Nintendo Land in bed fora little bit. That's a pretty awesome feeling. I get ZombiU and NSMBU today so that will make me appreciate it a bit more.

zroid

Banned
My bedroom is *just* out of range, sadly :(

It doesn't totally drop connection, but it's choppy enough to make playing from up there a fool's errand regardless. Alas...

smr00

Banned
It's definitely lacking in the digital realm right now. I love that you can buy a ton of games on there, but it still seems light. I'm kind of bummed that the VC stuff didn't get moved to the eShop. It feels barebones with just the new releases.

And that it will take about 8 hours to download and install the bigger games is a big downer, removes any 'spontaneous' purchases. Well, you can, but you will regret it when you could have just run to the store and bought it (assuming you're in an area with something within 10-15 miles).

I took the controller up to bed with me and powered up and played Nintendo Land in bed fora little bit. That's a pretty awesome feeling. I get ZombiU and NSMBU today so that will make me appreciate it a bit more.
Yeah i think they missed an opportunity not having all that VC stuff on launch but i also can understand why. Let's just hope that stuff starts to roll out next month.

I am actually curious to see if they start putting up Gamecube stuff on the E-Shop, i think that would be pretty friggin rad.

I dont think that the demand is anywhere near the wii, but it is still sold out in most places that i have seen.
None of the non-gamers that I know seem to care about it at all. It doesnt compete with the 'tablet' demand for iPad/Android.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...old-out-already-selling-for-over-500-on-ebay/

Wii had like 500k - 800k units in all of North America for launch. This time around, Gamestop alone had 500k units nationwide. When you stock way more units than the last time around and it still sells out, that shows demand is pretty strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom