• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric C

are stores closed on turkey day? I need to go find some more stuff for this thing

Kmart will be open Thanksgiving morning @ 6am and later at night too. They'll be closed from 4pm-8pm though.

I think most of the other stores are only open later in the evening, around 8pm or something.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I tried to email Nintendo saying I had broken my Gamepad on accident and was looking to have it replaced and curious what it would cost.

They replied:

Be careful, that sounds like it could be a trap.

Effect

Finally picked this bad boy up. I started the update BEFORE I looked up how to download it in the background, and now I'm stuck waiting. It's been over an hour and now it's only about 1/3 complete. What can I do!?

Edit: I know this has been asked before. I searched, but so many complaints about the update download make it nigh impossible to actually find anything. Sorry, everybody. Really, though, any help would be welcome.

Best to just let it go as to make sure nothing happens.

It's a horrible setup. An update they really need to start putting on the system before gets out the factory or on every game going forward.

Wow, the Amazon app is so sluggish. Netflix is way faster and even the Hulu Plus app is, too.

The Hulu Plus app sucks, though - it's basically a direct port from the other consoles, designed for joystick instead of touchscreen, requiring a TV set, and making horrible use of the Gamepad. I'd rather have sluggish and usable.

Nintendo Land might be the most fun launch game I've ever played. And I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. I'm waiting until tomorrow for obvious reasons (FUCKING THANKSGIVING, MOFOS).

This is fantastic.

RetroGreg

So after spending more time with the Wii U I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the system overall. I love that I'll finally get Nintendo games in HD and the Miiverse is a lot of fun to mess around with. The controller is much lighter than I expected and very comfortable to use.I downloaded Nano Assault and it really looks great. My only complaint is the slow loading. I can't wait for Rayman now.

netBuff

So after spending more time with the Wii U I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the system overall. I love that I'll finally get Nintendo games in HD and the Miiverse is a lot of fun to mess around with. The controller is much lighter than I expected and very comfortable to use.I downloaded Nano Assault and it really looks great. My only complaint is the slow loading. I can't wait for Rayman now.

That's great to hear - I'm excited to finally get my own system on the 30th.

Nintendo Land might be the most fun launch game I've ever played. And I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. I'm waiting until tomorrow for obvious reasons (FUCKING THANKSGIVING, MOFOS).

This is fantastic.

Christmas is basically the perfect time for games like NintendoLand, with everyone getting together. But Nintendo really needs to release a soundtrack CD (or download).

I'm cleaning up Nintendoland Plaza tonight. Reported someone who apparently wants to "put my fucking dick in a squid" and someone else that likes the word pussy a real lot.

Mario is great on the pad screen, but it does not support the Pro. Why? Who knows.

Bahahahaha! Bacon your a funny dude.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see a YouTube app yet. I hope it's here on time unlike the Wii one. I had to change my country to the US in order for me to get it, otherwise if I tried when Canada was selected it didn't work.

I really like the off TV stuff. Playing Arkham City on it is pretty cool. I found that turning the brightness down is preferable (and hopefully helps battery life).

I don't get why you need a Youtube app. The browser can use the regular Youtube just fine. And, you can keep browsing on another tab if you're listening to music if you want.

I'm not sure what more the Youtube app could do that the browser version can't. I'm streaming music to my stereo via Youtube in one tab and typing this in another. Can't do that with a dedicated app.

Has anyone figured out what ports the Wii U is using btw?

We're using a USB lan adapter and Wii U Chat still can't connect through our router. Online games like Sonic All Stars also fail to join games.

I only tried the chat with a friend a couple of times and it never got through. Kept saying something about being disconnected. I'd like to hear an answer to this too.

my activity log is over 36 hours but I think I spent more time on this thing because on Sunday morning I set my clock wrong so I had to set it back from PM to AM

there has to be sections of the menu it does not log. If they give me a USB Keyboard support I won't get off this thing

I don't get why you need a Youtube app. The browser can use the regular Youtube just fine. And, you can keep browsing on another tab if you're listening to music if you want.

true enough but it is nice to have choices :)
plus we get a miiverse community out of it

You can get youtube now. You just have to delete the existing channel thing and re download from the eshop.

what is the size of this download? It should still update like everything else right?

Chorazin

I tried to email Nintendo saying I had broken my Gamepad on accident and was looking to have it replaced and curious what it would cost.

They replied:

It will cost you $140+shipping+sales tax.

I needed to replace mine due to a busted rumble motor, and called Nintendo Monday morning. For the expedited replacement service I needed to pay the above up front cost. Once I get it, I'll send mine back and they will refund me everything but shipping.

They shipped it out yesterday evening (Tuesday) overnight, and it'll be here Friday morning before 10:30 am.

Codeblue

The Youtube app is embarrassingly awful. Can't stream to the pad, slow as shit, and the UI is clunky as hell. Use the browser.

Mindblowing considering how well it works in the browser. Guess that icon will join Parental Controls on the page of things I'll never use.

Wow I was looking forward to the youtube app but...what...the...hell....

You can't watch videos on the gamepad.

Wat.

I mean wat.

Useless. If I ever want youtube on it then web app it is I guess.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that YouTube app is pretty bad =/. You guys weren't kidding about the UI, yikes.

leehom

How the eff do I link my Wii U to my club Nintendo account? When I tried to do it the way the website says, it says I can't access the eshop because I don't have an account linked. When I try to link my account to my Mii?, it says the account info is wrong. I logged into my club Nintendo account, so I know it's correct....WTF?

olimpia84

The Amazon Video app is simply fantastic. The quality of the movies is superb, I wonder if Netflix is similar? (haven't tried Netflix on the U yet).
Downloading the YT app now to see how bad it really is.

How the eff do I link my Wii U to my club Nintendo account? When I tried to do it the way the website says, it says I can't access the eshop because I don't have an account linked. When I try to link my account to my Mii?, it says the account info is wrong. I logged into my club Nintendo account, so I know it's correct....WTF?

You link your Wii-U profile to an "Online ID."

That online ID isn't a "Club Nintendo" account.

Once you link your Wii-U profile to an "Online ID", at some point it asks you if you want to link to a "Club Nintendo" account (I believe when you sign into Mii-Verse.)

Sounds like you are attempting to type Club Nintendo credentials into the "Online ID" credential box. You might not have one, you have to create it.. it's new to the Wii-U IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom