• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehom

You link your Wii-U profile to an "Online ID."

That online ID isn't a "Club Nintendo" account.

Once you link your Wii-U profile to an "Online ID", at some point it asks you if you want to link to a "Club Nintendo" account (I believe when you sign into Mii-Verse.)

Sounds like you are attempting to type Club Nintendo credentials into the "Online ID" credential box. You might not have one, you have to create it.. it's new to the Wii-U IIRC.

Thanks, I got it now. :)

olimpia84

The YT app is the same as the PS3 one but it sucks since you can't swap videos between the TV and the gamepad. Hopefully they fix this

hachi

Banned
The only perfected Youtube app is on the AppleTV, and I wish Nintendo would follow Apple's lead here: never trust the content holders to make decent apps, because they're all quite fully incompetent, even Google. Create your own interface and map it to the different services. I love that every different video app uses the same streamlined UI and navigation on ATV.

But it will be interesting to see if TVii ends up as an easier way to access all of it.

simtmb

It was mentioned earlier in this thread about the Wii U Limited RGB Range. This is the correct range over HDMI for TVs. So I thought I'd try to clear up some misinformation.

Over HDMI, TV's expect video levels, which would be the 16-235 range (limited), when the Range is set to Full, the wrong signal is being fed, and what people assume looks better is merely due to the brightness being whack. Blacks get crushed, so you lose detail. RGB Full should be set for PC monitors, and RGB Limited is the correct setting for TVs. PS3 for example on a TV, RGB Limited with Superwhite on is the correct setting.

For those unhappy with the image regardless, adjust your TV brightness settings.

Tabris

A couple quick questions that I tried by reading through as much OP's as I could find but it's difficult with all the posts:

1) How comfortable is the gamepad? I have medium sized hands.
2) Can you use the gamepad and pro controller at the same time (ala games that use gamepad for a menu) or does it only recognize pro controller as "2nd controller"?
3) What's the general opinion of the upscaling for Wii titles? Worth it just as a BC device?

I'm tempted to wait for a white deluxe edition, buy now, or not buy at all. Waiting to see what everyone thinks.

JohngPR

Has anyone tried out Transformers Prime? I'm curious to see how it is, although there being no reviews for it on Metacritic should be an indicator. :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
1) How comfortable is the gamepad? I have medium sized hands.

I find it very comfortable and light. It's great, no complaints.

(I can't answer 2... dunno!)

3) What's the general opinion of the upscaling for Wii titles? Worth it just as a BC device?

Considering its not in any way an "up-res", consider me impressed! It outputs a very nice, clean image to my 50 inch plasma. Looks better than a Wii through component. It's not mindblowing (again, just an upscale), but it's very good. Perhaps ideal, putting aside up-res dreams.

I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Zombi U is awesome! First survivor lasted 41 minutes before I got destroyed. But this game is crazy good so far.

I agree for the most part, but one thing I don't like - I lasted quite a while, and then got killed, but I got killed when my mission was to return to base. So before my new character even woke up, the event at the base was starting, with voices trying to play over the wake-up video. No chance to go back to get my old stuff, no chance to experience the event as you are supposed to, when you walk back into the base. So I'm going to restart the game from the beginning so I don't miss anything.

Ok, I just did a speed test with my Wii U and it's telling me it's only getting about 1.5Mbps on my 18Mbps Internet Connection. Is anyone else noticing similar slow speed issues? No wonder it takes forever to download everything. I'm going wired if that makes a difference.

Ok, I just did a speed test with my Wii U and it's telling me it's only getting about 1.5Mbps on my 18Mbps Internet Connection. Is anyone else noticing similar slow speed issues? No wonder it takes forever to download everything. I'm going wired if that makes a difference.

What type of test?

(Curious)

What type of test?

(Curious)

Since SpeedTest.net doesn't work due to a lack of Flash, I found this site:

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

On my laptop, it reports much higher than the Wii U. I just switched to WiFi on the Wii U, and it's telling me it's getting 10mbps, still slower than it should be but way higher than the Ethernet connection. I'd would rather not go WiFi but will if have to. Both connections seem to be slow for some reason.

NateDrake

I agree for the most part, but one thing I don't like - I lasted quite a while, and then got killed, but I got killed when my mission was to return to base. So before my new character even woke up, the event at the base was starting, with voices trying to play over the wake-up video. No chance to go back to get my old stuff, no chance to experience the event as you are supposed to, when you walk back into the base. So I'm going to restart the game from the beginning so I don't miss anything.

Wow. Talk about bad timing, eh? Hope I don't encounter anything like that.

A couple quick questions that I tried by reading through as much OP's as I could find but it's difficult with all the posts:

2) Can you use the gamepad and pro controller at the same time (ala games that use gamepad for a menu) or does it only recognize pro controller as "2nd controller"?

I'm tempted to wait for a white deluxe edition, buy now, or not buy at all. Waiting to see what everyone thinks.

Black ops 2 does this, when connected, it asks: use as controller 2 or take over gamepad?
very thoughtful

braves01

Banned
First, Nintendo needs to make setting this damn thing up easier.

Second, it's been pretty awesome so far. OS is still too slow but I love Miiverse and how its integrated into NSMB U.

I also like how snappy the browser is. I'm posting using it right now. It even handles Youtube quite well. The curtain is hilarious too.

careksims

Yeah gotta agree about the Youtube App. It blows chunks. It actually hard-locked on me when trying to browse around. Why even bother. The Netflicks app is the best one.

Since SpeedTest.net doesn't work due to a lack of Flash, I found this site:

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

On my laptop, it reports much higher than the Wii U. I just switched to WiFi on the Wii U, and it's telling me it's getting 10mbps, still slower than it should be but way higher than the Ethernet connection. I'd would rather not go WiFi but will if have to. Both connections seem to be slow for some reason.

Well that website is not remotely accurate for me.

Odd it was so different through Ethernet. But I wouldn't trust it for wifi either.

Sykane

Same thing happened to me (base under attack?) It's not a huge deal, I did the same thing your planning on doing and it really wasn't worth it. My biggest issue was since I respawned at that point, I ended up dying a couple times in a row due to lack of equipment. Everything you've gotten to that point you will end up getting 10 times over as you keep playing.

majik13

anybody know where to get wii lan adapters cheap? ebay seems nice but not really sure what you are getting. seems there are possibly 3rd part/knock offs that dont work to well. maybe ill just hit up nintendo directly.

GS said they had a used one for like 19. But when I got there, they said they couldnt find it. They looked everywhere, said it was probabaly stolen. dammit!

catabarez

anybody know where to get wii lan adapters cheap? ebay seems nice but not really sure what you are getting. seems there are possibly 3rd part/knock offs that dont work to well. maybe ill just hit up nintendo directly.

GS said they had a used one for like 19. But when I got there, they said they couldnt find it. They looked everywhere, said it was probabaly stolen. dammit!

Ebay. Go for Rocketfish, it works flawlessly for me.

$25
Nintendo Store

I'd rather they have used the money for actually useful things
to me
like letting me play VC games on the GamePad

Bah, that still bums me out we can't do that. I'm totally cool that we can't play Wii games on it, but man I would have loved to be able to play WiiWare and VC games on it :(

I'm curious when Nintendo will announce a WiiU VC service and how it will work exactly.

quick question about the pro controller. how does it handle? I have noticed a few impressions stating that it's hard to get used to the button layout, is anyone else findinf that to be true? have you had use for it outside of split screen or two player gaming?

I'm thinking of changing my zombiu pre0order to a standard premium pre-order (which doesn't come with a pro controller) as I can get zombiu and mario bros for half price from hmv thanks to finding some gift cards which I received for my birthday a few weeks ago,

Data Ghost

Guys I have my system coming on the 30th, quite looking forward to it despite some of the issues. Can ALL games be switched from the TV to the GamePad, or is it only certain titles?

Rich!

Oh man oh man oh man

Do I buy Zombi U at the UK launch for £35 (managed to get a cheap preorder for it!) or do I wait for Ubisoft bomba prices a few weeks after?

...fuck it, I'll get it next Friday. My launch haul will be:

- Wii U Basic (£200, thanks amazon!)

- Sonic Racing - £35

- NSMBU - £35

- Zombi U - £35

- Stand and cradle set - £15

I already have a 750gb HDD to use...so altogether the cost of all this is a grand total of £320. So for me, a Wii U with three launch games is only £10 more than the deluxe set costs in GAME by itself.

Pretty fucking good!

Erethian

Bah, that still bums me out we can't do that. I'm totally cool that we can't play Wii games on it, but man I would have loved to be able to play WiiWare and VC games on it :(

I'm curious when Nintendo will announce a WiiU VC service and how it will work exactly.

They've already announced a Wii U VC service.

I guessed as much, thanks for the quick reply :)

Some games require the use of the gamepad in conjunction with what is happening on the TV(Nintendo Land and Zombi are prime examples). Most multiplatform titles have off screen play, if that helps. Shit, I believe all of them do now that I think about it. Anyone have a multiplatform title that doesn't use off screen play?

Do you move your Wii Content to the Wii U first or do you connect to Nintendo's Online and download the update first.

While we are talking about importing Wii content to Wii U is there any benefit whatsoever in transferring all your Wii stuff over besides the obvious things like having all your content on one console?

Well that website is not remotely accurate for me.

Odd it was so different through Ethernet. But I wouldn't trust it for wifi either.

Do you have a recommendation? I figure even if it wasn't the best indicator of the actual speed, the discrepancy between Wii U Ethernet, Wii U WiFi, and PC has to be somewhat true. I wish I could just use SpeedTest. I know for a fact that with Ethernet I got two bars in the Amazon app, but with WiFi I could get a full HD signal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This overscan issue has me worried enough to consider cancelling my Australian pre-order.

I've got an older Bravia 40" TV with a native 1366x768 screen res and it sounds like I will most likely have the overscan issue. (none of the other myriad devices that I've had connected to this TV have exhibited overscan issues)

Additionally, I'll be forced to use component video because my AV receiver doesn't support sound over HDMI and be limited to stereo sound.

Along with all the other widespread reported issues all my hype and enthusiasm for the system has evaporated.

I'd expect overscan settings in upcoming games, and possibly as patches for existing games.

PS3 has this everywhere now, I guess its part of the TRC. I'd prefer it as a system setting, it'd be very easy to do but for now its game specific.

As for your component cables, you'll only get stereo anyway - so can't you connect to your TV with HDMI, and then from your TV to the receiver?

kitsuneyo

Oh man oh man oh man

Do I buy Zombi U at the UK launch for £35 (managed to get a cheap preorder for it!) or do I wait for Ubisoft bomba prices a few weeks after?

...fuck it, I'll get it next Friday. My launch haul will be:

- Wii U Basic (£200, thanks amazon!)

- Sonic Racing - £35

- NSMBU - £35

- Zombi U - £35

- Stand and cradle set - £15

I already have a 750gb HDD to use...so altogether the cost of all this is a grand total of £320. So for me, a Wii U with three launch games is only £10 more than the deluxe set costs in GAME by itself.

Pretty fucking good!

Sonic Racing is £30 on Amazon UK.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks guys

damn looks like I have to go to the stores on Black Friday o_O thanks to amazon for messing up yet another order :|

stop buying games - don't you have like 50 already?

Can't you buy the ones you're looking at digitally?

Rich, I realise you're awesome, but where did you find zombiU for £35? I've preordered from shopto reluctantly at £47. Normally I'd tell them to fuck off, but I want it for release day.

They sent me an email yesterday telling me to hurry up and choose some wiiU games because its coming soon. They're supposed to be processing orders tomorrow so probably be posted out Monday (fingers crossed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom