• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcv

thanks! and what is this survey all of you keep talking about?

and one more thing: are there miiverse communities for eShop games too?

Sonic Racing has got 6/10 on Wii U and an 8.5 on PS3/360 from Gamespot.

Reason:

It seems a day-one game patch is responsible for this bug, since it didn't appear before the Wii U's online service was on, but the game will patch automatically if your system is online, which may leave you with a broken experience.

If it weren't for these problems, the Wii U version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed would be as good as, if not better than, the other versions. The game can be played entirely on the GamePad screen (though the ability to do so by swiping down on the touch screen isn't even mentioned in the manual), and the fundamental mechanics of the game are sound. Normally, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is a joy to both play and look at. It's just unfortunate that this version is so broken. If it were fixed, it would be a wonderful choice for kart racing fans looking for ways to enjoy their new Wii U.

Seems a bit strange considering this bug will be fixed soon.

Reason:

I'm fine as long as they revisit their review after the problems are patched. Apparently, once the problems are fixed, the Wii U version might be the best one.

flattie

You're right, I don't think Nintendo likes money.

coughOcarinaofTime3DcoughSuperMario64DScough

Seriously? How many times do you need to see these relics rolled out? It's not like we haven't been given multiple chances to buy them again on various consoles since the N64.

Synless

You're right, I don't think Nintendo likes money.

coughOcarinaofTime3DcoughSuperMario64DScough
Those are both on handhelds and both were released approximately around the launch of those handhelds. You only collections you see on consoles are during anniversaries and during random pack-ins. Again, I would like to be wrong, but who knows. Time will tell.

Downhome

I just discovered a neat little feature of the gamepad. I just went to install Amazon Prime video (working great btw, streaming Christmas Vacation now just to test it), and it of course has to be registered at Amazon to use the Prime features. Instead of going to my PC or something to go to the amazon.com/mytv site to enter the code that popped up on the screen, I decided to hit the home button, and go to the site on the gamepad. I got there, but couldn't remember the code it said to type in. About that time my little Mii in the lower left hand corner popped up saying that if I press the X button it would pop up a screenshot of what my Wii U shows from the Amazon Prime screen. So while on the internet on my gamepad, when I hit that button on my TV popped up the screen with the code I needed to type in. I did so, went back to the Amazon Prime app on the gamepad, and it worked just fine. I know, basic stuff, but I thought it was neat.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Reason 1 why I never order big hardware online, unless I can go pick it up myself.
Well luckily for me I order online from a super market chain so if it all goes wrong I have plenty of stores to choose from. Hell I could even take a bus to head office.

Those are both on handhelds and both were released approximately around the launch of those handhelds. You only collections you see on consoles are during anniversaries and during random pack-ins. Again, I would like to be wrong, but who knows. Time will tell.

I don't know what being on a handheld has got to do with it, they are still re-releases of older properties. The GBA basically lived off of them.

A day?!

Dude. I booked a week off!
Perhaps I should do the same. Apparently I have a lot of holiday left.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Reason:

THAT'S how to play on the gamepad! Couldn't figure it out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A day?!

same here, but I miscalculated and have next week off. So if Shopto don't deliver early I'll be clearing down some backlog in advance.

Perhaps I should do the same. Apparently I have a lot of holiday left.

basically this. I forgot I was busy over summer so I have a week spare to take off, and still have two weeks over Christmas. Nice.

I chose the shitty shipping option from amazon.fr, will amazon ship the wii u early to me so I can get it at release day? Who else has experience with amazon and shitty shipping option?

test_account

XP-39C²
Somehow, I don't feel like Nintendo is the type of company to do HD collections. I would like to be wrong though, I would rebuy Xenoblade a third time for an HD version, same with Metroid and Zelda.
Nintendo re-released 7 Gamecube games for the Wii with added motion controls. I can see that Nintendo will do something similar with the WiiU if they believe there is quick money to be made there.

nickcv

A day?!

wish i could :(

right now we are in development hell with a project and my project manager didn't even want to give me one day off...

anyhow finalized launch lineup for UK (and honestly i think there's nothing in this list we didn't know about, but what the hell...)

Disney Epic Mickey 2. The Power Of Two
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
Assassin’s Creed 3
Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition
Ben 10: Omniverse
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Darksiders 2
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
FIFA 13
Funky Barn
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Skylanders Giants
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sports Connection
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Transformers Prime
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU

i broke down and opened mine last night, as well as nsmbu. liking it so far!

i'd prefer to not have the game on both the wii gamepad and the big screen at the same time. makes me feel like im in shitty seats at a sporting event, and i cant decide whether to watch it live or on the jumbotron

other then that, so far so good. loading from the settings to the wii menu takes forever though, hopefully they address that in a patch or something. and my wii wouldnt connect to my wifi until i reloaded the router, when every other device in my house would which is strange

smr00

Banned
I'm getting really nervous due to these stories of people getting broken Wii Us. It'll be a huge pain in the ass and cost a stupid amount of money if I have to return mine when it comes :/
Yeah but how many people have you seen with broken Wii-Us? This forum alone makes up maybe 0.01% of Wii-U owners.

And i have heard maybe 6 people complain about broken Wii-Us and how many have sold? I am not too worried.

Stupid question time: can I buy classic NES, SNES, etc. games on Wii U yet? I don't see them in the eShop.
I am 99.9% sure you can buy VC games through the Wii shop on the Wii-U but you can't buy them through the Wii-U shop and they have to be played through the Wii thing.

I could be wrong but from what i understand that is how it works right now.

Yeah but how many people have you seen with broken Wii-Us? This forum alone makes up maybe 0.01% of Wii-U owners.

And i have heard maybe 6 people complain about broken Wii-Us and how many have sold? I am not too worried.

I am 99.9% sure you can buy VC games through the Wii shop on the Wii-U but you can't buy them through the Wii-U shop and they have to be played through the Wii thing.

I could be wrong but from what i understand that is how it works right now.

Hold on, there are TWO shops on Wii-U? E-Shop and Wii Shop? But but but but

luffeN

Germany and Austria: http://www.nintendo.de/Wii-U/Wii-U-344102.html

Official German Wii U page.

Edit: Lol! European Network Premium is a little different (for the Euro zone). Every Euro you spend will get you 8 points. When you get 500 points, you can then exchange them for a code for said 500 points and then spend the money on the eShop.

Edit: So you need to spend 62.5 Euros to get one code.

Nintendo Germany said:
Jeder Euro des Nintendo eShop-Preises eines Downloads beschert dir 8 Punkte. Mindestens 500 Punkte werden zum Einlösen benötigt. Sobald du 500 Punkte gesammelt hast, kannst du dich mit deiner Nintendo Network ID und deinem Passwort auf der Nintendo Network-Webseite einloggen, um einen Code zu erhalten. Sobald du 500 Punkte gesammelt hast, kannst du diese in einen Code eintauschen und damit einer Nintendo Network ID auf einer Wii U-Konsole oder einem Nintendo eShop-Konto auf einem Nintendo 3DS oder Nintendo 3DS XL Guthaben hinzufügen.

i broke down and opened mine last night, as well as nsmbu. liking it so far!

i'd prefer to not have the game on both the wii gamepad and the big screen at the same time. makes me feel like im in shitty seats at a sporting event, and i cant decide whether to watch it live or on the jumbotron

other then that, so far so good. loading from the settings to the wii menu takes forever though, hopefully they address that in a patch or something. and my wii wouldnt connect to my wifi until i reloaded the router, when every other device in my house would which is strange

I was thinking the exact same thing. I prefer when a game gives me the option of which screen I want to see the action on. Or at least allows me to turn it off on the GamePad.

Preble

Made it pass the Wii U system update and it asked me to create a account. Now it's been loading for about 10 minutes. Should I wait or is it safe to just restart the system?

Bumhead

Banned
Just popped into my local John Lewis. They found the bundles online but couldn't tell me if they would be in store or not. I had a quick look at their gaming section though and they bundle the shit out of everything, they didn't actually have ANY consoles stand alone, so I think there's a good chance they will be in store.

Think I might chance it on the day. I still have a pre-order with GAME if all else fails. Does anyone know if GAME will allow me to cancel my pre-order and refund my deposit on the day of release itself?

The YouTube app is legitimetly the worst YouTube app I've ever seen. Not that I was really planning on using it but, wow.

There's like zero interface and I can't even figure out how to play any video. Netflix is bad but it at least is functional.

madmackem

Just popped into my local John Lewis. They found the bundles online but couldn't tell me if they would be in store or not. I had a quick look at their gaming section though and they bundle the shit out of everything, they didn't actually have ANY consoles stand alone, so I think there's a good chance they will be in store.

Think I might chance it on the day. I still have a pre-order with GAME if all else fails. Does anyone know if GAME will allow me to cancel my pre-order and refund my deposit on the day of release itself?

They should do.

btkadams

The YouTube app is legitimetly the worst YouTube app I've ever seen. Not that I was really planning on using it but, wow.

after using the ios and ps3 youtube apps, i have just come to expect nothing more than horrible efforts from google's youtube app team. i haven't used the android or 360 versions, so they could be fantastic, but the bar has been set real low for me after using the other two.

of course, this is me assuming that google developed the ps3 app.

Nibel

Germany and Austria: http://www.nintendo.de/Wii-U/Wii-U-344102.html

Official German Wii U page.

Edit: Lol! European Network Premium is a little different (for the Euro zone). Every Euro you spend will get you 8 points. When you get 500 points, you can then exchange them for a code for said 500 points and then spend the money on the eShop.

Edit: So you need to spend 62.5 Euros to get one code.

Interesting to see NintendoTVii there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom