• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hasn't this always been a problem with Musou games?

Yes, but it's particularly bad on the Wii U port. The musou games have always been pretty cheap slosh, but Wii U mosou can and should be up to the standard of the 360/PS3 versions. Warriors 3 Wii U has atrocious pop-in, worse textures, and a sporadic framerate. If people are desperate for a new game and have a low standard (aka: just want to beat shit up) then grab it cheap. But I think people should look to putting their money towards better ports.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm trying to put together a list of games which don't support the miiverse screenshot feature. So far I'm aware of:
  • Tekken TT2
  • Darksiders 2
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Anything else?

wsippel

Banned
I'm trying to put together a list of games which don't support the miiverse screenshot feature. So far I'm aware of:
  • Tekken TT2
  • Darksiders 2
Anything else?
MH3U, for some completely asinine reason. The one game where you'd really want screenshots, to show off your hard earned gear and stuff.

blu

MH3U, for some completely asinine reason. The one game where you'd really want screenshots, to show off your hard earned gear and stuff.
Thanks, that's indeed stupid. I intend to put that list in the fw updates thread, for future reference, as I expect some titles to have that addressed in future updates.

Random Wii U question.

Is it possible to un sync a GamePad from one console, and sync it with a different Wii U?
IIRC, the syncing goes much like the BT sync/pairing (down to the security code entry), so syncing the pad to another unit should be entirely normal, akin to how you use wiimotes.

BDGAME

But my friend list and settings and save files :(

Can you change your NNID country? I don't think you can.
The shop becomes unaccessible if NNID and Wii U countries don't match.

Its only for shopping. After buying your game,back for your regular mii and back the country of your Wii U too.

Koren

Wow 5 hr. I don't think it's on nintendo servers end, I believe the wiiu has trouble with certain routers or people's networks.
I'm pretty sure it was Nintendo servers*, it was on the evening of the launch day here. I don't even complain about this, I've seen 3-6+ hours of patch or firmware downloads on PS3, and I can understand that the launch day is a busy one.

I don't think it has anything to do with the router, first because it's my provider that provide me a box with wireless router capabilities, and I know other people with the same box had no problems at a different time, and I also haven't experienced any long downloads since on Wii U either.

I fully expect very long download times on Xmas eve, though, so I would advice people updating in advance, later (or in background if it indeed works)...

* it's not even "theirs", they've contracted a company for that, and that could be a peering link problem and not a server one...

dwu8991

Banned
Watching Netflix on the Wii U is awesome !

Surprisingly the UK store loads better than the US store although the US store has slightly more content !

I'd recommend Aus gamers get it !

Work around about $15 a month and the streaming is excellent - no stuttering at all

The Wi U game pad is a great size for viewing in bed and can be switched seamlessly to the tv.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Had some more time with WiiU and i like it, even if my TV overscan quite a bit. But NLand and ZombiU are playable, so i will manage.

How is your Gamepad battery life? Mine lasts around 3 hours, maybe half hour more if I reduce loudness..

farnham

Banned
Had some more time with WiiU and i like it, even if my TV overscan quite a bit. But NLand and ZombiU are playable, so i will manage.

How is your Gamepad battery life? Mine lasts around 3 hours, maybe half hour more if I reduce loudness..

Doesnt your tv have a jusct scan option?

jonno394

Fianlly got round to playing the Zelda and Pikmin attractions in Nintendoland; both brilliant. I'll be playing these with the family on boxing day!!

Tiu Neo

My Wii U FINALLY arrived. Had to create a canadian account, since my country isn't supported right now. Got Nintendoland, Scribblenauts and already had Warriors Orochi 3. Now I'm getting some downloadable games, recomendations?

Yes, but it's particularly bad on the Wii U port. The musou games have always been pretty cheap slosh, but Wii U mosou can and should be up to the standard of the 360/PS3 versions. Warriors 3 Wii U has atrocious pop-in, worse textures, and a sporadic framerate. If people are desperate for a new game and have a low standard (aka: just want to beat shit up) then grab it cheap. But I think people should look to putting their money towards better ports.

Yeah, that surprised me. Musou games always have those kind of problems, but this port is ridiculous. Disappearing enemies, very unstable frame rate. But I'm happy I still got it (for very cheap), it's still fun as a mindless brawler.

So after my Wii U decided to drop internet connection every 3 seconds (I'm downloading TTT2 and I kept getting an Error and "Not connected to internet", before resuming a few seconds later), I moved it and put it on top of the entertainment centre next to the TV. It seems to have helped immeasurably.

It's surprising as it wasn't enclosed, however it was beneath the TV and flanked by a Wii and PS3.

StayDead

I really like it despite not many people being online. You get co-op matches and team deathmatch. You get a bunch of options to customize your ninja as well. It runs super smooth as well.

Excellent. If I get my hard drive then this is getting a download with whatever money i get for Christmas.

Thanks <3

Celine

Does putting the gamepad in the rechargable cradle every time I stop playing with the Wii u might hurt the battery on the long time?

I hate that TVii will become to top Miiverse community in record time... I have not really had any use of it can't hardly load it but two times and don't have cable
Miiverse is for games dammit let's kick TVii out!

In video games assets are ideally only drawn/rendered when they're on the screen. Sometimes games are poorly optimised, or too demanding for hardware, and you get asset pop-in, where objects will appear out of thin air when you're in range of them rendering. Simple and common example: npcs in sandbox games. They only actually render when they're close enough to the player, even if you can see for miles. It's necessary to prevent the framerate tanking.

Warriors 3 has such atrocious pop-in optimisation that enemies will render in and out of existence even in the middle of a fight. You can be right in the thick of a big group and the edges will disappear/appear as you rotate the camera, even if they're still technically on screen and close. You can run towards a mob of X size, only to find them tripple in size when you're in fighting range. I've been trampled by horseback units in their charging animation because the game didn't render them until they were literally one foot in front of me. A battalion of horseback soldiers appearing out of thin air on top of you.

I'm pretty tolerant of framerate and graphical oddities as long as shit still works and is consistent. Warriors 3's pop-in is so bad it actively hurts the game's design. Low standards will tolerate it, but I think the port is horrible and not worth support.

that was one of my next downloads for next week I downloaded Tekken instead of it a few weeks ago but it was highly recommended when I asked here but in videos it looked really bad to me.

I'll skip on your feedback

Batman tomorrow when my check clears

Thanks for the opinions on Orochi 3, I'll avoid for now.

Any opinions onNinja Gaiden?

Pretty good replacement for the above

Kinda the same gameplay when you think about having wave after wave of enemies coming at you in Ninja Trials, which I have been grinding through since beating Ninja Gaiden 3 RE on Hero to unlock my Momiji DLC and waiting for Kasumi. This game has become my most played in total in my activity log

had a lot of fun and discovered many glitches that the only fix was to reload my last save point. (when I say "many" I mean 2 glitches lol)
The game was very hard and intense in some level difficulties I find some of the QTEs impossible at times. Very frustrating, my hands hurt, I sweat, I want to hurl my gamepad but I remember how expensive it is and not sold anywhere lol.

my score was 7.5 after beating it on Hero but I am thinking 8.5 after grinding with Momiji and seeing Kasumi on video the replay value alone was worth it.

I hate that TVii will become to top Miiverse community in record time... I have not really had any use of it can't hardly load it but two times and don't have cable
Miiverse is for games dammit let's kick TVii out!

that was one of my next downloads for next week I downloaded Tekken instead of it a few weeks ago but it was highly recommended when I asked here but in videos it looked really bad to me.

I'll skip on your feedback

Batman tomorrow when my check clears

Beat Batman on PC earlier this year. Fantastic game, one of my favourites for sure.

For everyone that missed it, there's a few days left to enter the GAF-only giveaway for Scribblenauts Unlimited.

odxe1.png

All you have to do is check out our 4th episode and post in the GAF thread (below). I'll announce the winner this Friday. Also, this is open to everyone in the world, but the Scribblenauts copy is the US version.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504266

Thanks for the opinions on Orochi 3, I'll avoid for now.

Any opinions on Ninja Gaiden?

Game is surprisingly great. I've only played NG1, so I can't compare to 2 or OG 3, but I've been having a good deal of fun with it. The structure feels a lot different that NG1, but I've enjoyed it.

Sigh..so not only has my Wii U gone back to disconnecting from the net every few seconds, the plaza has now reverted to being populated with Nintendo Miis and icons.

Hopefully I'll get to play Tekken before New Years :/

I think I'll soon pay that $80 for Amazon Prime to get more movie streaming because I've been dropping $2 often enough I love this on my Wii U

Going to watch some WALL.E

AzaK

• Tekken TT2
  • Darksiders 2
Anything else?

Black Ops II indirectly because of the fact the Home button doesn't work at all.

jonno394

Loving Darksiders 2 atm, glad I saved it till the Christmas Holiday to play, a nice fantasy adventure to keep me warm during the cold nights.

Looks glorious!!

Loonz

Got the console yesterday. I've been trying some demos and, for the love of God, Rayman is ASTOUNDINGLY beautiful, soooo charming. I love how seamless the pad menu implementation is.

The different menus are a bit slow, but apart from that I like everything I saw. I would even say that the image looks a bit more stable and pleasing to the eye that the IQ of my slim PS3, but I wouldn't bet on it, it might be the smell of the new xD.

Got the black EU unit with nintendoland, mario and AC3. And a classic gamepad. All for free trading my old Wii and some games :).

blu

Black Ops II indirectly because of the fact the Home button doesn't work at all.
Oh. I thought that home button issue was only in online multi, no? I think I've seen some miiverse screensots from the campaign *goes to check*

That Rayman demo is amazing. I couldn't stop giggling during the music level. Can't wait to properly play this with my fiancé doing the gamepad stuff.

pdk27

Got the console on launch day as a Christmas gift for my son. Taking Nintendo's advice and I just broke it out of the box while he is sleeping to update it and charge the controller. As slow as the update has been so far I'd say Nintendo's advice is well worth taking. Christmas morning would have been a nightmare.

Kerub

Banned
Got the console on launch day as a Christmas gift for my son. Taking Nintendo's advice and I just broke it out of the box while he is sleeping to update it and charge the controller. As slow as the update has been so far I'd say Nintendo's advice is well worth taking. Christmas morning would have been a nightmare.

There's going to be a lot of dissapointed kids on christmas morning! "But daaad, I wanna play mario :'(", while the update bar moves sloooowly.

Loving Darksiders 2 atm, glad I saved it till the Christmas Holiday to play, a nice fantasy adventure to keep me warm during the cold nights.

Looks glorious!!

Yeah, I've been really surprised by this game as well. Didn't really care too much for the first one because of the monotonous combat, but this one is really rocking.

Spoilers so someone might tell me how far I am into it.
How much more do I have of the main game if I'm at the point where I'm looking for the three heart stones to activate the giant construct? The one where you are in a dungeon and the big guy is helping you by throwing you around and holding doors open.

EDarkness

The "home" button works in the Campaign mode. It even supports screenshots in Campaign mode. However, it doesn't work in any other mode, which is troublesome if you play other parts of the game.

Spoilers so someone might tell me how far I am into it.
How much more do I have of the main game if I'm at the point where I'm looking for the three heart stones to activate the giant construct? The one where you are in a dungeon and the big guy is helping you by throwing you around and holding doors open.

Well...
you're not even out of the first "world". There are 4 worlds if I understand correctly. I'm about halfway into the second world right now.

Synless

In at my brothers house and trying to use my gamepad on his system. The problem is it will only let one gamepad be connected at any given time, what's the deal with that? Also, why ask to use a NNID from another device if it won't let you? They really need to pull their heads out of their asses at Nintendo.

EDarkness

In at my brothers house and trying to use my gamepad on his system. The problem is it will only let one gamepad be connected at any given time, what's the deal with that? Also, why ask to use a NNID from another device if it won't let you? They really need to pull their heads out of their asses at Nintendo.

I thought everyone knew there could only be one Wiipad connected right now. At some point we'll be able to use two, but no game supports it, so there's no point.

zroid

Banned

Multiple GamePad support is going to be added next year, apparently.

That thing about the NNID is pretty baffling. I'm just going to assume they have something planned to make accounts somewhat more portable, but I don't think it will ever come to a point where we can have our games on different systems at any given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom