• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxter432

well its not "TVii" but I am watching football on the TV and have internet browser up for gamecast/stats while I wait for my buddy to come over and check out land/mario

Alchemy

Does the update make the home screen not slow as dirt? Can't wait to get into some games but the home screen experience is pretty horrible.

Quick question, does the 'Digital Deluxe Promotion' just happen automatically? Or is there a code in the box I misses that I need to enter somewhere?

bumpkin

Man, I picked up my Wii U at 10am (5+ hrs ago) this morning, and I've yet to play it at all. Before I could fire it up, I had to retool my cabling setup (got a new, larger component selector). Then once I got it unpacked and hooked up, I realized I had to charge the Gamepad. Once that was ready, I fire it up and am greeted with the slow-as-fuck system update download. This is the pits! :(

I have not played one game yet just messing around with everything

have 3 games on disk

NintendoLand
Mass Effect 3 Special Edition
Call of Duty Black OPs II

downloading
NSMBU
Trine2
Nano Assault Neo

thanks to pro controller / 2 wiimote plus / hdd - out of extra money for now but have enough to play :3

Magnus

Fuck, so, I can't use a combination of HDMI out for my display and AV Multi Out for audio? My receiver doesn't have an HDMI port. Fuck.

Weenerz

Banned
By far the best thing so far from this system is the fact that I purposely skipped the system update to play right away and it downloaded the system update in the background.

JAYinHD

Does anyone know how the deluxe promotion work on the eshop? Does it automatically know your system is a deluxe set to receive the 10 percent bonus?

chimpychi

I'm stumped and probably over thinking here. I need help with connecting my WiiU to my Onkyo receiver. I always use component cables with all previous systems so I'm pretty much new to using HDMI. I've connected the WiiU to my receiver then out to my TV but I dont get sound from my speakers..only for the TV. I tried going back to my Wii components but that tells me in the settings that it will only show up to 1080i...The fuck am i doing?

So how are people finding the browser experience vs., say, a phone/tablet? All I want is for it to be an upgrade over phone browsing.

Curious about this as well. Is it fast compared to something like the PS3 Internet, or fast like the iPad? Lack of multitouch makes me have doubts about its usability too, when I had my Droid 1 Androud hadn't updated for browser multitouch yet and it was a pain - but that was a while ago and I'm guessing Nintendo's come up with something better.

Godslay

Banned
Nintendo have earned the profit by actually putting some work in. You shouldn't be able to just put no fucking effort in, exploit the demand that a third party has created through their own efforts and profit off of it.

Ideally, if a product is readily available at retail, then there should be a cap on the amount of profit a third party can make from selling it. Probably not convenient to police it, but y'know.

Not going to happen. The best a person can do is limit the amount of consoles per person. People will get around it but it will be less convenient. As you will have to have multiple people working to purchase consoles.

What should be done is provide accurate supply for demand, or slightly more so. Then if you are able to pick them up in the story without issue scalpers will not have the chance to profit off of them.

I'd imagine it's difficult to accurately prescribe demand, thus you have shortages. Plus I'm sure the added media bonus of a complete sell out is something console makers strive for. It's a complicated thing, and you will have people exploit the system to make money. Like I said it sucks, but there is no real silver bullet other than to preorder and hope that it is fulfilled.

Maaseru

Banned
The range on my pad is long when in line of sight or with no interference, but a concrete wall and it's lost, but ok , as I expected.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Right. I've cancelled my white WiiU console pre-order...

And pre-ordered a black premium ZombieU bundle :)

BlackJace

I kinda feel sorry for kids who are gonna get this for Christmas and be all excited, only to face a possible 2+ hour update before they can play.

Hopefully soon, they will ship with the update already pre-installed.

This is a good idea actually, hopefully they do do this.

But it's Nintendo so.....

Tom_Cody

What is going on. I finally have everything physically set up but when I got to the point of syncing my game pad with the system, this test screen appeared on the game pad screen.

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this? I tried googling this problem but I wasn't able to find anything.

guek

Banned
So how are people finding the browser experience vs., say, a phone/tablet? All I want is for it to be an upgrade over phone browsing.

It's fast. Surprisingly fast. About as fast as my laptop/PC it seems.

Compared to tablet browsing, I miss pinch/zoom but on the plus side, it does feel noticeably more accurate. Is that all just in my head? Uuuh...maybe. But I do feel a different. The touch screen is fantastic. I have no idea where those "unresponsive screen" claims came from.

Coolest part is asynchronous browsing. I can have youtube or netflix playing something on my tv and seamlessly keep browsing on the gamepad. It's a really nice browser. It just need a vertical scroll bar.

Chaplain

I think I found a bug with the wired settings on the initial setup. When I first connected my system and got to the internet settings connection I made sure to select the Wired setting. But for some reason, regardless of how many attempts I tried to have it recognized (Datel's LAN Adapter), it never did. So, I continued to go through the set up process and selected the WiFi mode. I then created my Mii character and got to the xmb. I went back into system settings, reselected Wired mode, and the Wii U finally recognized the adapter and connected to the internet.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
WTF is going on. I have everything physically set up but when I got the point of syncing my game pad with the system, this test screen appeared on the game pad screen.

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this? I tried googling this problem but I wasn't able to find anything.

Looks like you somehow entered debug mode. LOL

gryz

Banned
By far the best thing so far from this system is the fact that I purposely skipped the system update to play right away and it downloaded the system update in the background.

yep, I went straight into playing mario with my fiancee, when we were done playing the update just installed itself.

Rich!

WTF is going on. I have everything physically set up but when I got the point of syncing my game pad with the system, this test screen appeared on the game pad screen.

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Oh wow.

How exactly did you access this? Any particular things you did whilst syncing?

The hackmii team would love this.

Tom_Cody

Oh wow.

How exactly did you access this? Any particular things you did whilst syncing?

The hackmii team would love this.
I didn't do anything. My gamepad looked like this as soon as I turned it on. I just want to get it back to normal so I can use the system. I can't figure out how to reboot it. Does anyone know how to do a hard reset?

TheNatural

My Member!

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Don't turn it off! You've successfully hacked the Wii U by accident!

Now go put in a 360 game and watch it run.

Browser is fast? Do you people saying this use tablets? This thing icheckerboards(minus the checkerboard graphic) more than iPad 1 did. Yuck. Having now used the 360 browser, PS3 updated browser, and this, this one ranks dead last for speed and UI. None of them can compete with Chrome on a tablet.

I set a download to finish and turn off the Wii U, but three times now the Wii U has shut off after about 15 minutes without ever completing the download.

Anyone else's drive spin endlessly when a disc is inserted? Not sure why Nintendo feels the need to spin the drive when the game isn't being played or used.

I've played Sonic Racing so far and switching from TV to pad is as simple as swiping a finger down the screen. Swiping up puts the game back on the TV. It's a cool feature, but ultimately not one I'll use much since the game on the pad wasn't very clear and I had a much harder time driving precisely on the smaller screen.

I'm not sure what I expected overall, but I didn't think I'd find it so lacking compared to the experience one gets on the PS3 and 360. I hope it grows on me, but mostly I hope Nintendo does something drastic to address the speed issues. Doing anything, and I mean anything, takes forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom