• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Satisfaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So anyone has shown the wiiu to relatives/friends etc. Lately? What were the reactions?
I had 12 kids at my house saturday, it was my daughter's birthday. I launched Nintendo Land... and they were amazed :) Only one kid had a Wii U. All of them played Mario Chase and Luigi's mansion for the first time, 1 vs 4.

It was a fantastic moment, both as a dad and as a Wii U fan.
GloGMGPl.jpg

farnham

Banned
I had 12 kids at my house saturday, it was my daughter birthday. I launched Nintendo Land and they were amazed. Only one kid had a Wii U, except her they all played Mario Chase and Luigi's mansion for the first time, 1 vs 4. It was a fantastic moment, both as a dad and as a Wii U fan.
GloGMGPl.jpg

nice. 1 vs. 2 was the max up to now for me. Cant wait to try it (i have the wiimotes)

sammex

So anyone has shown the wiiu to relatives/friends etc. Lately? What were the reactions?

This weekend I took mine round to play with 3 friends who are all more into PC games than consoles. Played Tank!Tank!Tank! and Nintendo land and we all had loads of fun. On TTT we probably spent as much time laughing taking photos for the ingame avatars as playing, and in Nintendo Land we spent about two hours playing Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion. One of them said he liked it enough that he was definitely going to pick one up to play with his wife, whilst the other two both liked it too. I had a hard time convincing one that the sketches on miiverse were genuinely hand drawn :D They weren't impressed by the long loading times switching back to the home screen though and one run through 4 player NSMBU was enough to switch back to another game - defo one for the single player.

Overall it was really cool playing local multiplayer with the gamepad 3v1.

farnham

Banned
This weekend I took mine round to play with 3 friends who are all more into PC games than consoles. Played Tank!Tank!Tank! and Nintendo land and we all had loads of fun. On TTT we probably spent as much time laughing taking photos for the ingame avatars as playing, and in Nintendo Land we spent about two hours playing Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion. One of them said he liked it enough that he was definitely going to pick one up to play with his wife, whilst the other two both liked it too. I had a hard time convincing one that the sketches on miiverse were genuinely hand drawn :D They weren't impressed by the long loading times switching back to the home screen though.

Overall it was really cool playing local multiplayer with the gamepad 3v1.

I have tanks tanks tanks downloaded. Maybe i should spend a few bucks to experience it in full. Unfortunately i was not able to demonstrate miiverse as my wiiu didnt like the wifi of my friends house. And yes the loading sucks hard

I have tanks tanks tanks downloaded. Maybe i should spend a few bucks to experience it in full. Unfortunately i was not able to demonstrate miiverse as my wiiu didnt like the wifi of my friends house. And yes the loading sucks hard

spend a few quid on TTT dlc now while its on the cheap, offer ends thursday

dwu8991

Banned
I had 12 kids at my house saturday, it was my daughter's birthday. I launched Nintendo Land... and they were amazed :) Only one kid had a Wii U. All of them played Mario Chase and Luigi's mansion for the first time, 1 vs 4.

It was a fantastic moment, both as a dad and as a Wii U fan.
GloGMGPl.jpg

AC III's online multiplayer quickplay is pretty close to Mario Chase, Luigis Mansion and Animal crossing Sweet Day

So, yeah, you get this game as well.

Dmax3901

So I got mine today. The gamepad seems to cut fairly easily, as in before I've left the room, is there anything to fix this?

Should I resync it or something?

JoV

Cut? As in lose connection? Mine holds pretty well even if it's not in direct sight of the console but is not too far away either. Beyond about 5 metres though it drops out.

Not attempted a resync so far.

I was playing the Trine 2 demo and noticed some serious lag in video and sound on the gamepad. I'm curious to know if this is a problem with the demo/game or my gamepad, never had an issue like this before hand.

Madouu

I was playing the Trine 2 demo and noticed some serious lag in video and sound on the gamepad. I'm curious to know if this is a problem with the demo/game or my gamepad, never had an issue like this before hand.

That's curious, generally the gamepad image is a tiny bit faster than the one on the TV. Also there's a Trine 2 demo? Why haven't I been informed!

Bad idea.

This is lovely by the way!

That's curious, generally the gamepad image is a tiny bit faster than the one on the TV. Also there's a Trine 2 demo? Why haven't I been informed!

Bad idea.

This is lovely by the way!
There are quite a few demos out now. FIFA 13, Sonic & All Stars Racing, Trine 2, NBA 2k13, Zombiu, The Cave, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Dmax3901

Just played the Rayman Legends demo and am currently downloading the Monster Hunter one.

Rayman is gonna be awesome, still wary of that full price however :/

Darryl

Banned
MH3 was good. Actually was my first time playing the series at all. I think I'm going to go with the 3DS version just for the lower price.

Just played the Rayman Legends demo and am currently downloading the Monster Hunter one.

Rayman is gonna be awesome, still wary of that full price however :/

Yea, it was a fun demo. Not going to pick it up until it's on sale on the Holidays, though.

cool stuff, the bros look really into it :p

Goodlife

Ok, realised there was a lot of gaming stuff in my house which I never used, so thought I'd tot it all up to see how much it was worth.... £450, which is nice.

Wii U, here we come.

What games though.

NSMBU is a must.
Nintendo Land?? Is it worth it?

Then Zombie U or COD?

ticl

Banned

has to be the demo. i have the game dl and plays amazing and beats the heck out of anything graphically on the ps3 or 360. wii u will be a winner. every1 who has tried it has loved it. my kid is picking it up over the ps4 this year. he is going to wait till the ps4 comes down in price.

Ok, realised there was a lot of gaming stuff in my house which I never used, so thought I'd tot it all up to see how much it was worth.... £450, which is nice.

Wii U, here we come.

What games though.

NSMBU is a must.

Then Zombie U or COD?

ZombiU.

Yagharek

Wii U, here we come.

What games though.

NSMBU is a must.

Then Zombie U or COD?

Nintendoland is good, but it requires more than 2 people to get the best out of it.
Zombi U made a very good first impression on me. It's unrelenting and slow and weapons arent that good. Play it like it was really happening, but ask others who have finished it what they think.

Tank Tank Tank is free to download a limited version on the eshop. Get that, see if you like the stupidity of the game (its batshit insane) and then consider getting the disc version.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Is there any way to backup your Wii U save files?
Currently no, though nintendo promises to add support for multiple USB storage devices in the future.

There's a poor man's trick, though, which works for DD games and which allows you to snapshot your current savefile. Basically, you need to have your game located on the USB drive, either originally or moved over from internal. Then, if you disconnect the drive, you can still re-download the game to internal or to another USB drive, but the original copy will still remain functional when you reconnect that original drive, and along with it your savefile.

dwu8991

Banned

Wii U, here we come.

What games though.

NSMBU is a must.

Then Zombie U or COD?

AC3 = multiplayer is awesome, single player is lengthy

Batman AC = who doesn't like BAT man, controls great though gameplay is somewhat repetitive, I would recommend putting the challenge to HARD

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate = controls are perfect, game is both hardcore and casual

NBA2K13 = Again perfect controls

xandaca

Wii U, here we come.

What games though.

NSMBU is a must.

Then Zombie U or COD?

ZombiU's great, although I'd wait until the patch before buying - it's buggy as hell right now. Black Ops II is great, there are a huge number of control options, it's being regularly patched and there are features not present on the other console versions. Check around for bundles, I've seen a few online shops offering the Premium + NSMBU, for example, at fairly reasonable prices.

Lizardus

AC3 = multiplayer is awesome, single player is lengthy

Batman AC = who doesn't like BAT man, controls great though gameplay is somewhat repetitive, I would recommend putting the challenge to HARD

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate = controls are perfect, game is both hardcore and casual

NBA2K13 = Again perfect controls

I am sorry but how? Most people in the demo thread seem to have problem getting into the groove of things bar few people and the veterans. Not berating you or anything but just want to see why you are calling it casual.

Celine

No problem for me (own the full game).

Also is it me or the game step up in the graphics department in the Goblins Manor levels?
Can't wait to play the exclusive level.

daakusedo

Trine 2 is better than I thought, what I like the most is exploring and the various ways of solving puzzles, if you haven't the later powers you can use the hard way and your skill to go through it, like that closed room in level 7 with rotating flames and a platform you can only activate to go back after reaching the other side. I materialized a bridge and before it fell or got burned by flame, switch to knight and dash to go to the treasure chest. That was tight but so satisfying, but there was an easier way and it bring me to talk about a problem with the visuals. By the end of this game, I'll need glasses or something, there's too much things and details on screen that blend together, that I didn't notice you could go on the pipe ejecting fire. And to finish, great example of a mix of buttons and touch controls. If there's someone that want to play online, I didn't try it yet.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Trine 2 is better than I thought, what I like the most is exploring and the various ways of solving puzzles, if you haven't the later powers you can use the hard way and your skill to go through it, like that closed room in level 7 with rotating flames and a platform you can only activate to go back after reaching the other side. I materialized a bridge and before it fell or got burned by flame, switch to knight and dash to go to the treasure chest. That was tight but so satisfying, but there was an easier way and it bring me to talk about a problem with the visuals. By the end of this game, I'll need glasses or something, there's too much things and details on screen that blend together, that I didn't notice you could go on the pipe ejecting fire. And to finish, great example of a mix of buttons and touch controls. If there's someone that want to play online, I didn't try it yet.
I entirely share your view. Trine is genius in the way it nourishes variety in the puzzle solving. I've solved quite a few puzzles there in non-conventional ways, especially with the wizard's materialize spells of multiple objects. Game is a gem, before one even looks at it.

dwu8991

Banned
I am sorry but how? Most people in the demo thread seem to have problem getting into the groove of things bar few people and the veterans. Not berating you or anything but just want to see why you are calling it casual.

It's casual in the sense that the game is not punishing, assuming you are playing co-op on the Wii U and there is plenty of health and mega potions available

The game's combat is actually pretty similar to Batman except that you have to monitor your health and stamina more

The controls are tricky to learn but really easy once you get the hang of it

I have no idea why my Ninja Gaiden Razor's is updating but I'll check miiverse to find out what I got that is new

Out in EU too? Currently playing this game, so I'm glad it's coming just right in time. Hopefully there's more people coming back online for the update, I eventually find a coop partner but it's obviously pretty barren. If anyones up for ninja trials, you can add me (ID in the official thread)

squid

Since this is a fairly general WiiU thread, I suppose I'll post this here. But I'm just baffled about this launch. I mean, the actual launch and lineup was pretty good and I enjoyed it. In fact, since this is the Satisfaction Thread, I personally was very satisfied with the launch and found most problems people were complaining about to be overblown. But nintendo massively messed up the marketing and final polish. To be honest, that wasn't too surprising, but post-launch? *sigh*

I mean, look at the first party releases. Since launch, what first party games have we had? Lego City is the first Nintendo published game since launch iirc. That's 4 months. And it isn't even Nintendo developed! When's the next Nintendo developed title? We don't even have dates for Pikmin/Wario/even freaking Wii Fit U.

I know they said they've had problems with HD development, but that's no excuse. They've had plenty of time to get ready for this. I just don't understand why/how nintendo let's the launch periods of their systems (3DS, too) be so half-assed.

To be fair, I have enjoyed what the system has had to offer so far. And I'm sure it will eventually have a great bunch of games like the Wii and 3DS ended up having. But they really messed up in their planning here. I mean, it's not like they were so busy making games for the Wii while preparing the WiiU (see: 2011 and 2012). Rayman probably would've helped, but lets not talk about that... They really need to give us dates for some stuff though.

Also, it's late here and I'm half asleep, so I'm probably not making much sense and will look at this tomorrow wondering what I was thinking.

maeda

Just watched some old Rayman videos... Got even more pissed about the delay... I have to say it will probably be hard to boycott the game for me personally. By the way, is Rayman Origins on Wii worth the try?

kitsuneyo

Is there any reason why I won't be able to use the Club Nintendo SNES Classic Controller to play Tekken TT? It has enough buttons and the CC is supported, right? I just need to know whether I need to buy another controller before the game gets here.

Is there any reason why I won't be able to use the Club Nintendo SNES Classic Controller to play Tekken TT? It has enough buttons and the CC is supported, right? I just need to know whether I need to buy another controller before the game gets here.

Shouldn't be a problem.

is the tank tank game available for the states yet? i havent turned my wii u on for a few days but last time i looked it wasnt there

also just a heads up, Target is buy 2 get 1 free again for Wii U games, they have run this sale a lot, I just wish there was games i wanted for it.

Goodlife

Cheers to all who offered advice.

Got Mario, Nintendo land and AC3 in the end.

Been having a play with the U tonight.

I like it, a lot. Needs a bit of polish, clearly, things are a bit slow (not nearly as bad as has been made out, mind) and a bit convoluted in places, but still, potential definitely there.

And the screen looks great.
Thought my tv was decent enough, but everything just looks nicer on the pad

xandaca

Just found Darksiders II and Sonic Racing Transformed for £17.99 each (£35.98 combined) on DVD.co.uk. They've both got higher exchange values at gamexchange (a site I admittedly haven't tried using yet) and are only a pound or three off at CEX in cash. Since both received generally positive reviews I thought they'd be worth the jump to pass the time until the stream of new games starts flowing.

Strampas

Neo Member
I hope I will be able to afford a Wii U soon. Currently the only console i own is a Wii. I always get stressed up over not owning any consoles or a high end computer. And reading all the negative stuff have made me question the Wii U a bit.

But I know I will get one for the first party titels. Are there any good indie games on the eshop that uses the gamepad in any nice ways? And are there games on the eshop you can play only using the gamepad?

Trine 2: Floaty Physics - The Game

Ha! Exactly right. I played through all of Trine and Trine 2 on PC with my brother and it gets real old after a while. The game looks great but it's really not that fun to play. There's virtually zero punishment for dying and the combat is totally mindless.

On another note, does anyone know the Zen Pinball 2 release date for the US? I saw last night that they finally have a spot for it on the eShop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom