• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Satisfaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood the draw to Off-TV play until today. It's nice hanging around the family, with them being able to watch what they want, while I play NSMBU on the gamepad. I know a few complained for the pad not being HD or retina display. I think retina would've been a waste, honestly. The pad looks great playing Mario.

I'm looking to get more Wii U games. I'm tempted between ZombiU and Resident Evil: Revelations.
Which one has the most content (outside of replaying the single player over and over)?

AGoodODST

I'm looking to get more Wii U games. I'm tempted between ZombiU and Resident Evil: Revelations.
Which one has the most content (outside of replaying the single player over and over)?

Revelations has a lot more content, you have the campaign and then the multiplayer Raid mode.

ZombiU is a great game as well, so you should definitely pick it up as well when you get a chance.

Mileena

Banned

Revelaitons has more content but they're both good games worth picking up

ozfunghi

Get ZombiU and get RE:R for 3DS if you have one, it appears to be the better version.

Thanks.
I want to pick them both up at some point; I was gonna get ZombiU when I got the Wii U but I didn't get round to it.

That said I may go for ZombiU if it's cheaper and wait for a price drop on RE.

Is the 3DS version playable without a circle pad/comfortable to control?

LAA

I guess I'll add some positivity to this threat regarding my impressions with the Wii U.

I first got the premium Wii U in January for £259, (A deal at that time and the last one in the store too :eek:), along with NSMBU.
After updating which took a little while, I first jumped into Nintendo Land, which seemed to me as the sort of Wii Sports for Wii U, getting you to see the potential and uses for the GamePad, which it definitely suceeded in. I love it alone for just the 2 player split screen capabilities! Me and my brother were just laughing playing all these competitive 2 player games and in deep teamwork mode when playing the co-operative games.
Then I played NSMBU, if I'm honest, I didnt really like NSMB DS, I think the lack of a "save whenever" option put me off the most and I thought NSMB Wii was alright, so I wasnt expecting to be wowed as much from NSMBU, but I can safely say it feels like the best NSMB I've played. I felt the game brought out more skill from me and the levels looked beautiful, espicially those coins!
Since then, MH3U and LCU both also got added to my collection, MH3U I wasnt certain I'd like, but I got it clicked with me as soon as I tried out the long sword. LCU clicked with me immeadiately really, in fact I recently got back into it to aim for 100%. Definitely reccommend LCU, not only does it have so much content (I just reached 72% today and I beat the game maybe a few weeks after launch), but I think its a game really anyone can enjoy.

As for the console itself, its funny, as I own both a 360/PS3 and the Wii U is in the middle of them, I just think look the at the size of the Wii U and to think its more powerful than PS3/360, and to boot is essentially whisper quiet. I also picked up the Wii U Pro controller a few weeks after the console and I can also say that has now beat my 360 controller as the most comfortable controller I've used. I would wish for more 360-like triggers, and perhaps analogue triggers, but I still think they do the job fine.
The Internet Browser on the Wii U is fantastic as well. I didnt see myself using it as much as I'd thought, seeing I dont use any console for internet browsing really, (apart from my vita, which has had it's internet browser capabilities increased a while ago), but the Wii U's internet browser is simply incredible and it amazes me to think nintendo did this, ha ha.
The coolest thing about the Wii U may simply be the Miiverse. I can seriously spend some time just looking at peoples posts, for reasons from discovering secrets in games, to funny pictures, to incredible artistic pictures and of course to try and add to these categories itself. It is really great the MiiVerse works so well, It essentially feels like Facebook and Twitter combined, but gaming focused, perfect for someone like me, and its a thing I can safely say makes the Wii U feel more like a next gen console with this addition.

However, I wont make it sound like a perfect console, there are still things I'm hoping will be added in time.
One of these things has to be friend messaging. I think that feature may be incorporated into MiiVerse kinda, but I dont think it should be there, I think there should be a seperate feature for friend messaging, seeing it'd save time booting up MiiVerse to see the message, plus you wouldnt know if the notification in MiiVerse is referencing a reply to a MiiVerse post of yours or a message from a friend.
The second thing, an achievement trophy. It baffles me why I see people against this idea. I dont see an achievement system posing any negatives, only positives, seeing as it only offers optional goals for players to aim for, and for me, gives me that extra incentive to aim for something in a game, I find it a really cool feature, and the lack of such a feature in the Wii U, does make me feel that its not even quite up to current gen standards.
The last thing is a more... useful account system. The account system present in the Wii U doesnt feel to have much of a point, it more feels like its just an account for that system and no integration with the network. I'd like it to include your game purchases, ability to download your account from the network on another's console and back again, and pretty much store everything your account has done I guess. It'd also be cooler if your Wii U account/3DS account could be linked together, but I'm not sure how possible that may be.

If Nintendo can add those things, the Wii U definitely satisfies all my needs. People criticise the Wii U for not being as graphically up to date as the upcoming next gen consoles, but I personally believe so far that 360/PS3 were fine with just the graphical capabilities they have, as I dont see any further graphical improvements making new gameplay possible or making games funner, or at least I havent seen evidence to suggest that yet. Really PS2 graphics still seem fine for me, one of the only games I can think of perhaps not being possible on a PS2 gameplay wise is perhaps Metal Gear Rising, with the Free blade feature. Dont get me wrong, the PS4 gameplay demos and such excite me for what they can do, but I dont feel they particularly mean anything new to gameplay just yet, but perhaps I'll be shown what they can mean soon?

To end, I think the Wii U will definitely do fine, maybe even great. If its just nintendo releasing games on it alone, we all know it will survive anyway, although I have quite a lot I'm looking forward to on Wii U this year, not including 1st party games.
Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade 2, Watch_Dogs, Rayman Legends, Mario Kart U, Mario 3D U, Retros Project (Hoping its Metroid U, but if not, they have to wow me with what they done instead for me to be interested), Wind Waker HD are all the games I can think of that I'm excited for, and theres others that I'm not so interested in coming for Wii U, so in my opinion it still looks a great year for Wii U, and there may be some more suprise games upcoming too.

Looking forward to E3!

ozfunghi

Thanks.
I want to pick them both up at some point; I was gonna get ZombiU when I got the Wii U but I didn't get round to it.

That said I may go for ZombiU if it's cheaper and wait for a price drop on RE.

Is the 3DS version playable without a circle pad/comfortable to control?

I played the RE:R demo on WiiU and i finished the game on a standard 3DS... i actually liked the 3DS controls better. You can tweak your aim by tilting the 3DS (you generally aim with the control stick, but if you're just a bit off, it's easier to tilt the device than to use the stick for subtle aiming).

I also finished ZombiU.

There is a DF comparison, and the 3DS version really doesn't come out badly compared to the console version.

So i stand by my earlier statement. Get ZombiU on WiiU and RE:R on 3DS. It might even be cheaper on 3DS as well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So i stand by my earlier statement. Get ZombiU on WiiU and RE:R on 3DS. It might even be cheaper on 3DS as well.
That's a good advice, actually.

On an entirely unrelated note, does anybody else feel SM/NSMB series should start auto-saving after a level? The entire explicit-save shtick is getting rather outdated in a platformer nowadays /rant after NSMBU set me back with .5M points due to me not quick-saving.

oatmeal

Banned
Any idea how I set the eShop to download to the internal drive? It auto downloads to thr external and it's annoying.

Side note, when powering up and turning on a game (not disk based), does the system hang for 10 seconds before finally loading for anyone else? It's really annoying.

Any idea how I set the eShop to download to the internal drive? It auto downloads to thr external and it's annoying.

Side note, when powering up and turning on a game (not disk based), does the system hang for 10 seconds before finally loading for anyone else? It's really annoying.
As far as I know you can't choose where games are saved, you have to move them manually.

I've never had a game hang for 10 seconds before starting unless you're talking about how it shows an image from the game and plays music while it loads.
That's a good advice, actually.

On an entirely unrelated note, does anybody else feel SM/NSMB series should start auto-saving after a level? The entire explicit-save shtick is getting rather outdated in a platformer nowadays /rant after NSMBU set me back with .5M points due to me not quick-saving.
I think it's crazy you can't save whenever you want until you beat the game. What a strange reward.

guek

Banned

hmm. I thought I saw an option at some point within the eshop menus but I might be making that up. I don't have access to my wii u right now to check :-(

oatmeal

Banned
As far as I know you can't choose where games are saved, you have to move them manually.

I've never had a game hang for 10 seconds before starting unless you're talking about how it shows an image from the game and plays music while it loads.
No it's before that. On the menu. I will take a video when I can. It's super annoying. Once it loads and goes to the loading splash it's fine.

asdad123

I picked up a brand new basic wii u unit for $175 two days ago and zombie U for $18 after coupon at GameStop and I'm having a blast playing it.

Already ordered myself the nyko battery pack and the official cradle for the game pad.

Can't wait for E3 now. This is the most fun I've had in gaming in a while.

iosef

Get ZombiU on WiiU and RE:R on 3DS. It might even be cheaper on 3DS as well.

This. ZombiU is fantastic the second that you stop trying to run through it headshotting enemies and treat it like true survival horror. RE:R aiming is impossible on WiiU (can't believe how atrocious it is) and fluid on 3DS.

guek

Banned
Games purchased so far within the first 6 months of the wii u:

• NSMBU
  • Batman:AC
  • Tekken Tag
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • ZombiU
  • Resident Evi: R
  • NFSMW:U
  • CoD: BLOPSII
  • Injustice
  • MHTri:U
  • Bit.Trip Runner 2
  • Mighty Switch Force
  • Trine 2
  • Bonus: Nintendoland

Guaranteed purchases for the rest of 2013 (pending release)
  • Mario Wii U
  • Mario Kart 8
  • LoZ:WW HD
  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist
  • Watch Dogs
  • Pikmin 3
  • Batman Origins
  • Rayman Legends
  • TW101
  • Sonic: Lost World
  • Bayonetta 2

Some of those admittedly may not make this year and can very easily be supplanted by surprise 2013 titles that wow me at E3. Overall though, I'm really loving my Wii U. And with a new gaming PC rig in the works, it's going to be tough to find time to study...

Dazzler

Does this for me too, seems to be particularly bad when I try to access the Netflix app

Surfheart

I've seen Batman on sale around where I live and I've been tempted to pick it up, but then remember how it was slammed at launch for technical issues.

Has performance been improved at all with patches since launch? Were the performance issues overblown?

guek

Banned
I've seen Batman on sale around where I live and I've been tempted to pick it up, but then remember how it was slammed at launch for technical issues.

Has performance been improved at all with patches since launch? Were the performance issues overblown?

Framerate is tolerable but not ideal. If you have a gaming PC, that's where I'd recommend playing it tbh. I think the issues were overblown personally but it still was noticeable to the point where it might make things considerably less enjoyable for some.

Kjellson

This seems like the best thread to ask this question:

I have four games on disc but I want to go 100% digital. Will the saves from the physical games still be there if I download a game?

ozfunghi

• NSMBU
  • Batman:AC
  • Tekken Tag
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • ZombiU
  • Resident Evi: R
  • CoD: BLOPSII
  • Injustice
  • MHTri:U
  • Bit.Trip Runner 2
  • Mighty Switch Force
  • Trine 2
  • Bonus: Nintendoland

• Mario Wii U
  • Mario Kart 8
  • LoZ:WW HD
  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist
  • Watch Dogs
  • Pikmin 3
  • Batman Origins
  • Rayman Legends
  • TW101
  • Bayonetta 2

Some of those admittedly may not make this year and can very easily be supplanted by surprise 2013 titles that wow me at E3. Overall though, I'm really loving my Wii U. And with a new gaming PC rig in the works, it's going to be tough to find time to study...

Currently own:
Super Metroid
F-Zero
Kirby
Mighty Switch Force
Trine 2
Nano Assault
Assassins Creed 3
Zombi U
Need for Speed: MW

Awaiting by mail:
Batman: Not the Same Game

Will be getting in the not so distant future (when they release):
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Deus Ex
X
Bayonetta 2

On the fence:
Watchdogs
Windwaker

Surfheart

Framerate is tolerable but not ideal. If you have a gaming PC, that's where I'd recommend playing it tbh. I think the issues were overblown personally but it still was noticeable to the point where it might make things considerably less enjoyable for some.

Thanks, think I'll pass on it.

Just wanted to say that the most fun I've had this week was the hours me and my friends spent doing challenge mode in New Super Mario Bros. U. We didn't stop until 3:00 in the morning.

the last few days have been amazing! I LOVE this freaking thing. The latest sales numbers from the gaf thread kind of killed my ether though.

Outside of the slow UI, no problems with the Wii U. I've only had it since Thursday though. So far I like it. Mario U is fun, I'm sure I'll love Zombi U, and I'm mad excited for W101, Pikmin 3, Zelda HD, and Mario Kart that's more than likely coming out this year.

moolamb

Finally got my membership approved! Came here just to contribute positivity to this thread since I got the Wii U at launch. I've had nothing but joy from this machine...

I've had hours and hours of screaming Nintendoland (Mario Chase and Sweet Treats are highlights) with brothers and sisters-in-law, all 30+ years old.

ZombiU was a genuinely terrifying playthrough.

Finishing NSMBU with 3 others over New Year's...

The Wii U is now sitting at our office and we picked up COD:BLOPS2 at price-drop. There's nothing better than having a whole screen to yourself in 2-player online. Although the frame rate does dip because of rendering two views on one machine.

ALL of the 30c virtual console games are marvels of classic game design.

Finally, did anyone else notice that when you click the right stick in the browser, it automatically zooms in to the main CSS region? Say you're reading a blog, click the right stick and it zooms past the sidebar and fills the screen with just content. I only just noticed it but it's a nice touch.

Tab0203

This seems like the best thread to ask this question:

I have four games on disc but I want to go 100% digital. Will the saves from the physical games still be there if I download a game?
Of course. I did this with Batman when it finally arrived on the eshop.

It'll download the game to where your save file is stored, which means that you might have to move your save file from system memory to external HD first.

So when I first got the Wii U, I thought Miiverse and Off-TV play were not for me.

I definitely ate crow on Miiverse. I really like having a dedicated community for a game that might not warrant an official thread on GAF. It's a nice way to see game-specific jokes, memes, and drawings. And the artwork is fantastic.

But Off-TV play I didn't get. Then I got the Kirby VC 3 for 2 deal. And dammit, I'm going to have to eat crow again. Once again, I really like having the GamePad with me at my computer, so I can play a few levels in Kirby's Dreamland 3, post on GAF, chat with friends, and then go back to the game. It's 100% pure laziness that I'm not getting up to move to my couch and my bigger TV, but it's actually getting me to play more games since it's easier to jump in and out.

So when I first got the Wii U, I thought Miiverse and Off-TV play were not for me.

I definitely ate crow on Miiverse. I really like having a dedicated community for a game that might not warrant an official thread on GAF. It's a nice way to see game-specific jokes, memes, and drawings. And the artwork is fantastic.

But Off-TV play I didn't get. Then I got the Kirby VC 3 for 2 deal. And dammit, I'm going to have to eat crow again. Once again, I really like having the GamePad with me at my computer, so I can play a few levels in Kirby's Dreamland 3, post on GAF, chat with friends, and then go back to the game. It's 100% pure laziness that I'm not getting up to move to my couch and my bigger TV, but it's actually getting me to play more games since it's easier to jump in and out.

Off TV play is so fucking good. Playing NSMBU while sort of watching shows with the wife is great. My wife was playing Scribblenauts and realized she could put a cartoon on for our daughter and she could keep playing.

Like the poster I quoted said its complete laziness but its amazing.

• NSMBU
  • Tekken Tag
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Bit.Trip Runner 2
  • Mighty Switch Force
  • Nintendo land
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge
  • Sonic Racing Transformed
  • Lego City: Undercover

• Mario Wii U
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Watch Dogs
  • Batman Origins
  • Rayman Legends
  • TW101

I have had my Wii U since launch and I now have a collection of 16 retail games and numerous eshop and VC titles. I absolutely love the console, it's nice playing a machine that is about games first and foremost and not all this TV and sports rubbish.

Granted the third party situation could be better, although there are some great third party games coming this year, but I'm confident at e3 Nintendo will bring it and the console will have a great year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've spent a lot of time during the last few days (unfortunately, because I was sick...) with the Wii U. The Offtv, the "tablet-like" feature to browse the web, the remote-control ability over the TV and a couple of games I'm playing right now (Runner2, Sega All Star, Darksiders2) made my weekend.

Games Purchased So Far on Wii U:
  • Nintendo Land
  • New Super Mario U
  • ZombiU
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
  • Sonic Racing Transformed
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Call of Duty: Blops 2
  • Injustice
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Tekken Tag 2
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Guaranteed Purchases for the Rest of 2013 (pending release)
  • 3D Mario
  • Mario Kart
  • Wonderful 101
  • Pikmin 3
  • Wind Waker HD
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Assassin's Creed 4
  • Rayman Legends
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Watch Dogs
  • Lego Marvel Super Heroes

stone128

Uhm... what's up with the youtube app, talk about broken :/

Otherwise, I like the system... only Lego has insane loading time ... lol

Games Purchased So Far on Wii U:

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario U
ZombiU
Lego City Undercover
Sonic Racing Transformed
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Assassin's Creed 3
Batman: Arkham City
Call of Duty: Blops 2
Resident Evil Revelations
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
DarkSiders II

Guaranteed purchases for the rest of 2013

3D Mario
Mario Kart
Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
Batman: Arkham Origins
Assassin's Creed 4
Sonic Lost World
Watch Dogs
Bayonetta 2
Injustice

Have mine since launch, no issues, having a great time, I really hope this machine gets love from 3rd partys, to complement nicely with Nintendo games. I might not get any other console after all or I might wait a long time for that.

Games purchased so far within the first 6 months of the wii u (all digital except otherwise stated):

• Nintendo Land (Premium SKU) *disc
  • NSMBU
  • Zombi U
  • Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • Trine 2
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 2 *disc
  • Little Inferno
  • Lego City: Undercover
  • Assasins Creed 3

Games released that I might get:

• NFSMW U -- EA I cannot forgive you
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Runner 2
  • Toki Tori 2

• Game & Wario
  • Pikmin 3
  • Splinter Cell Blacklist
  • Deus Ex HR
  • Rayman Legends
  • TW101
  • Watch Dogs
  • Batman Origins
  • Mario 3D
  • TLoZ WW HD
  • Game by Retro

Loving loving AC3, my first AC game. And I just finished the "slow start" section according to most. I am in the first Connor mission.

sega_102

Neo Member
I got mine on launch day. I played it quite a bit for a while, but lost interest. I think it was mostly because I was finishing up my Masters program though.

Between launch and last month, we had mostly used the Wii U for Netflix.

In the past month, I've really enjoyed playing it again. I beat NSMB again and have had lots of fun with Tank Tank Tank!

I've also started Sonic Colors (Wii) since I never got to finish it because my Wii's DVD drive died.

I don't know, it seems to run a lot smoother now. Areas where it chugged a lot run fine.

MysticX

hi there. I´m really loving my WiiU, but am wondering if any of you have the same problem...when I play on the WiiU, I have to charge the Pad every single time because the battery is always dead! even when I fully charge it from before...because next time I turn it on, it´s completely empty again....weird

69wpm

hi there. I´m really loving my WiiU, but am wondering if any of you have the same problem...when I play on the WiiU, I have to charge the Pad every single time because the battery is always dead! even when I fully charge it from before...because next time I turn it on, it´s completely empty again....weird
the battery life is pretty bad. you won't get more than 4-5 hours.

the last few days have been amazing! I LOVE this freaking thing. The latest sales numbers from the gaf thread kind of killed my ether though.

That's the thing with the Wii U, you really need to use it to recognize all the benefits. Not just in a demo-stand or kiosk either, but impartially in the comfort of your home. It's a nifty piece of hardware with loads of potential...however it's no surprise that politics (and therefore sales) reflect otherwise.

I use the Wii U far more than anticipated. It's almost like it is custom tailored to my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom