• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never went a full year with no info. N64 and Gamecube had Spaceworld, and Wii had TGS. We haven't seen or heard ANYTHING of Wii U since E3 last year.

Honestly, this would be much less painful if they waited to unveal the controller at TGS or something.

It is unusual, but I suspect that it's a consequence of Nintendo not sticking to their original plans for the system; there's a decent amount of evidence suggesting that they had intended a more substantive software showing at E3 last year, leading to a launch in Q2 2012.

Nintendo originally planned to release the Vitality Sensor in 2010, surely they must have had a decent game designed around it, since they believed in it? If the sensor is being integrated into the subscreen, then its killer app would have been in development for years. It has some amazing potential, so I hope they didn't scrap it...

e3-2009-nint-keynote-ninty-e309-keynote-0639-rm-eng-rm-eng.jpg

Love Iwata's mellow "day off" face. You can almost hear the Bob Marley music in the background

Terrell

If they don't release the controller with analog sticks or analog triggers, I think we'll definitely see a revision sometime down the road.

Ideally, a "Classic Controller" is released at launch that fixes these problems.

What "problems", exactly?

Nintendo originally planned to release the Vitality Sensor in 2010, surely they must have had a decent game designed around it, since they believed in it? If the sensor is being integrated into the subscreen, then its killer app would have been in development for years. It has some amazing potential, so I hope they didn't scrap it...

Love Iwata's mellow "day off" face. You can almost hear the Bob Marley music in the background

I wouldn't call it a killer app, but there are some interesting possibilities. I suspect "Wii Relax" would end up being alot more relaxing without the need for a tv. I feel like it's something you could do before you go to bed. Many people, myself included, prefer bringing it down w/ a portable rather than having to hassle with a tv. It's just more relaxing having the screen right in front of you.

Edit: Also, what about an underwater game where the more relaxed your vitals are, the longer you're able to stay underwater without breathing? I'd play that if it was made by EAD/SPD.

Clicky sticks can go to hell. The only reason they're a "problem" is because Sony and MS still have them on their controllers (they shouldn't).

I'd be fine with using the touchscreen for any function a clicky stick would provide.

guek

Banned
Yep, that was it. Only upcoming game featured prominently was Kid Icarus. The booth was pretty small (as are all at GDC) and even the meeting rooms looked tiny.

the map made it look so much bigger...:-(

Was there any buzz for anything big in particular at GDC? I know it's a big show with lots of people and it all depends on who you talk to, but I'll take some subjective impressions at this point.

Anth0ny

Clicky sticks can go to hell. The only reason they're a "problem" is because Sony and MS still have them on their controllers (they shouldn't).

I'd be fine with using the touchscreen for any function a clicky stick would provide.

So the touchscreen is just going to be used for extra buttons.

Nice. Revolutionary, even!

Terrell

lack of (clickable) analog sticks

lack of analog triggers

Analog triggers may still be possible.

Stick analog is a lost cause. If you think a peripheral will save you, you are sorely mistaken. Accept your fate and welcome your new slider pad overlords.

Oh, I'm sorry, he wasn't aware that a new technology feature had to be "revolutionary" in all its uses. Nintendo demands that it only be used in ways they prescribe, simple functionality for an input device is outlawed, you must use it in ways that BLOWS MINDS AT ALL TIMES.

.... srsly?

guek

Banned

Let's be honest here, that's what the touchscreen was always going to be used for. Mini-games, downloadable titles, puzzles, real-time equipment screens, and yes, straight up virtual buttons.

meh I don't see a problem with the uPad I think people are just looking at other consoles and want Nintendo to follow

not having two sticks on the 3DS I can see because it benefits something and left handed people can have an option to control games they want to play

what are we basing our analog needs on other than preference? that is what the classic controller is for

Anth0ny

meh I don't see a problem with the uPad I think people are just looking at other consoles and want Nintendo to follow

not having two sticks on the 3DS I can see because it benefits something and left handed people can have an option to control games they want to play

what are we basing our analog needs on other than preference? that is what the classic controller is for

I hate the 3DS circle pad with a passion.

And yes, I know. "everyone said the Wii U controller is perfect! you never even tried it! circle pads are fine!"

Well, I'm a pessimist. I doubt the Wii U controller is enough of an improvement over the 3DS circle pad to change my mind. And even still...

GameCube_Analog_Stick.jpg

Can't be topped.

It is preference, and i can see why they did it. The sliders look a lot cooler and the controller they showed did seem like it would scare off maybe a few less causal gamers, with all its buttons and what not. I'm personally against clicky sticks myself. They feel awkward and I'd rather developers find other inputs to focus on with the Wii U controller. They've got a shitload to work with. Don't forget voice!

Edit: Forgot to mention the "shelf." I dislike it alot. It looks strange and it seems too far down from the shoulder buttons. And why no grips (unless they're planning that add on)? Nintendo didn't want people to think of it as merely a game controller I take it. Ah well, maybe Nerf will make something awesome I'll feel ridiculous using.

It wasnt so bad during those days because I didnt have the internet ramming the fact that a new console was coming out everyday. It was easy to forget about it and just play the consoles and games that were out at the time.

I know, back before the internet things were simpler. My mind back in summer of '96: "I wonder what the N64 will be like? Oh well, back to playing Chrono Trigger and Yoshi's Island." :)

guek

Banned
Nope, if we're to believe some people, Nintendo did it purely out of spite and malice. BELIEVE.

This FUCKING company mirite?

I reserve judgement on whether circle pads instead of sticks is a good call. I like the 3DS circle pad though.

I suspect "Wii Relax" would end up being alot more relaxing without the need for a tv. I feel like it's something you could do before you go to bed. Many people, myself included, prefer bringing it down w/ a portable rather than having to hassle with a tv. It's just more relaxing having the screen right in front of you.

Edit: Also, what about an underwater game where the more relaxed your vitals are, the longer you're able to stay underwater without breathing? I'd play that if it was made by EAD/SPD.

Yeah, a meditation facilitator could be a huge success if made and marketed properly. But like your underwater example, I'm more interested in actual games. Bringing your state of mind into the mix opens up for a lot of possibilities. It could be an invisible part of the experience, adjusting stuff behind the scenes as you play, either to promote harmony or a good old-fashioned heart-attack.

It would also be fun to see opponents' stress level in multiplayer. U mad!!

This FUCKING company mirite?

I reserve judgement on whether circle pads instead of sticks is a good call. I like the 3DS circle pad though.

Yeah, for the most part, the circle pad works very well.

Sometimes you slip off of it but it's durable and accurate and the ones on the Wii U controller seem to have better grip and when is the last time Nintendo botched the main way to control games????

Weird that people were saying how much better the 3DS's circle pad was than the PSP's nub, now it's believed to be a major problem.

If it was a major problem(Wii U ones), those that have used it would have said so, I haven't heard a single person complain about the circle pads that they are major problems on the Wii U controller.

motion controls while cool and it put Nintendo back on top was bad for me I love my buttons and I miss having sticks so I'll take those two circle pads over another wiimote thank you

for people who cannot live with circle pads I feel your pain really, but my 3DS circle pad is only missing a twin to be perfect and my thumbs would be in love

dtZfK.png

Definitely Apple-Lite :) But then, going by that, everyone is.

I think Nintendo and Apple do have lots in common. Both of them want to use their skills and talent to find a way to do things that others don't. In doing so they become household names and make loads of cash.
This reminds me. I need to buy some stock before E3.

Hiltz

"Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness." - Matrix Reloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom