• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
All I know is that I enjoy Nintendo games and to play 'em I need a Nintendo console, thankfully the games they put out are usually reason enough to own the console, regardless of 3rd party support.

Also I want E3..now..! Summer break ,E3 Wii-U blowout and wonderful summer'ness combined to create the ultimate E3

GDC is almost over.

ibbFdcPHDPmbk5.gif

All pretty much all we got is more Nintendo is Doomed.

Arkham City Wii U looking gooooooooooooooooooood.

TunaLover

Also Nintendo was always contrary to the trends, at its time it was FMV, Nintendo didn't like it, include VA at the games, Nintendo didn't like it, now is make cinematographic games and Nintendo is not embraced with that either. Nintendo philosophy has always been opossed to developers trends, 3rd party just don't feel connected with that philosophy.

sfried

I wonder how much marketing money Nintendo would have to spend in order to control that perception. Would any amount ever be enough?
No. And part of me is glad Nintendo isn't wasting any more money than needed to get that perception off. People will be irrevocably biased against Nintendo until they die off simply because they want Nintendo's games on their console, and they want them on consoles that conform to the standards of the industry. I would expect them to let sleeping dogs lie, but it more like shooting the dog at this point.
Except the dog is really a decoy.
Another part is that Nintendo's extreme secrecy prevents them from engaging the Western gaming press the way that Sony, MS, and even Japanese third parties do. Prior to GI's Skyward Sword cover story last fall, when was the last time that a Western outlet got a substantial exclusive about Nintendo hardware and first-party software? You'd have to go all the way back to spring 2006, I think (GI Red Steel exclusive, EGM Twilight Princess/Wii exclusive).
I disagree. Extreme secrecy is Nintendo's key advantage. Not saying anything means more surprises, and in fact less negative PR towards them on fanboys perspective, although that won't stop people to nitpick on anything they do and find something to hate them for. Just look at GAF, for instance...

Better for them to just shut up and do what they do best. Don't care what the critics say. I'll be the judge of that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I disagree. Extreme secrecy is Nintendo's key advantage. Not saying anything means more surprises, and in fact less negative PR towards them on fanboys perspective,

They are pushing it a bit this time with the Wii U, though.

Deguello

I was moreso responding to the general idea that 3rd party devs (especially western devs) are just this hugely antagonistic hive mind that get together in basements, drink Pabst Blue Ribbon, and plot new ways to hate Nintendo. It likes to spring up every few pages.

At the end of the day, everyone wants to make money. Especially as far as publishers are concerned.

I don't think anything anybody posts on internet forums is going to have sway one way or another, so... eh? I guess?

Speaking of negative stigmas, does such a beast exist for third parties themselves? A typical "reason" for not supporting a Nintendo platform is that "The only company that can succeed on Nintendo hardware is Nintendo." In fact a company called Just Add Water recently said as much, despite not even having a Nintendo game in development. Now it goes without saying That Nintendo's games almost always are the most highly rated games on their platforms. And for the Wii, third parties turned in some of their worst products that they had ever made, even huge third parties.

Would this malaise that Nintendo's customer base feels towards third parties be due to negative stigma, and thus completely in the hands of third parties themselves? Can we expect third parties to try and make better products and market them better on future Nintendo platforms in order to relieve the negative stigma that they themselves have created or condoned?

Food for thought.

HylianTom

Banned
I don't think anything anybody posts on internet forums is going to have sway one way or another, so... eh? I guess?

Speaking of negative stigmas, does such a beast exist for third parties themselves? A typical "reason" for not supporting a Nintendo platform is that "The only company that can succeed on Nintendo hardware is Nintendo." In fact a company called Just Add Water recently said as much, despite not even having a Nintendo game in development. Now it goes without saying That Nintendo's games almost always are the most highly rated games on their platforms. And for the Wii, third parties turned in some of their worst products that they had ever made, even huge third parties.

Would this malaise that Nintendo's customer base feels towards third parties be due to negative stigma, and thus completely in the hands of third parties themselves? Can we expect third parties to try and make better products and market them better on future Nintendo platforms in order to relieve the negative stigma that they themselves have created or condoned?

Food for thought.

That's a double-edged sword. Nintendo customers, I sense, don't trust third parties. And third parties don't trust Nintendo customers.

How to break the cycle? I dunno.

Didn't they say we will hear something before E3, though? I think it was Reggie that said it. Maybe their own press conference? How the hell can they tell us anything without it being full of megatons a la E3, though?

I think what you just said will happen but it will be non-Megaton news.

They will hold their own little "conference" or video to go over some things and then E3 will be the coming out party.

The odds of NO information or news before E3 is very slim.

sfried

They are pushing it a bit this time with the Wii U, though.
They're doing just the right thing judging from the comments on GAF. I believe they spilled more than enough info over the past year concerning what it will do. It's support that Nintendo needs. The Gameware confirmation seems like a step in the right directions. But like others, I would like to see it pan out and now wouldn't really be the time to jump to conclusions.

Deguello

That's a double-edged sword. Nintendo customers, I sense, don't trust third parties. And third parties don't trust Nintendo customers.

Well I think it should be that third parties would never want to make a terrible game, so my solution is that they should make better games and try to reach out to the customer more.

But that's silly. The better solution is for Nintendo to pay media outlets to like them, obviously.

BY2K

Membero Americo

sfried

You don't wow by fizzling the wow with gradual important showings, you wow by releasing boring info gradually and waiting for the right time and a place big enough to handle the explosion.
...which would be E3, right?
Boring info: Autodesk Gameware free for any WiiU developer.
Explosive info: WiiU Re-unvieling. Games.

I disagree. Extreme secrecy is Nintendo's key advantage. Not saying anything means more surprises, and in fact less negative PR towards them on fanboys perspective, although that won't stop people to nitpick on anything they do and find something to hate them for. Just look at GAF, for instance...

Better for them to just shut up and do what they do best. Don't care what the critics say. I'll be the judge of that.

If they were just secretive about unannounced products, it'd be one thing. But instead, Nintendo rarely if ever releases information or media for announced products that are more than a couple months away from release, with very few exceptions outside E3 and their fall Japanese conferences. I don't think that's the ideal way to build hype.

TunaLover

That's not completely true, Nintendo customers are not anti third parties, games like RE4 (and RE serie in general), ToS, Soul Calibur 2, MH3, Fatal Frame 4 (in Japan), were well received for fans. If your game is a quality product it will sell well on a Nintendo platform, the problem is the that norm from 3rd parties is to produce below average quality for Nintendo systems (at least it was the Wii case).

Sadist

"Hey guys, how about those handhelds of ours"

Well, Nintendo didn't inform third parties from the start with Wii so it's partly their fault, but on the other hand third parties didn't do anything to regain that trust. I can't imagine how the market as a whole thinks about non-Nintendo software, but I'll never forget a moment where I randomly talked with a father and his daughter who were shopping for a new Wii game. The daughter saw a third party title and wanted to buy it, but her father flat out sayed "Honey, put that back. We'll just stick with the titles from Nintendo. Those are safe purchases". I smirked and he noticed me. We got into a discussion where he told me that doesn't trust non-Nintendo software anymore. "I'm perfectly happy with Nintendo's selection, but I just don't understand why they allow other companies to offer the horrible software you see here on the shelves."

Funny conversation, in which the store manager joined us hehe.

Didn't they say we will hear something before E3, though? I think it was Reggie that said it. Maybe their own press conference? How the hell can they tell us anything without it being full of megatons a la E3, though?'

Edit: See I knew I wasn't crazy!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/332116/wii-u-information-drop-set-for-pre-e3/

What if they had some kind of event just the day before E3 opens?

Didn't Nintendo do something like that a few years back, when they didn't partake E3, GDC or something, but did a surprise conference on the fly, am I recollecting correctly?

It wouldn't be anything unprecedented IIRC.

Hurmun

Neo Member
I can't recall if they've said anything, but what kind of launch titles are we looking at for the Wii U? I remember Smash Bros. wasn't on the list.

FreeMufasa

Nintendo should hold another conference for 3DS shit. No-one wants that stuff interfering. Especially if they're going with the traditional 75min conference.

Sadist

I can't recall if they've said anything, but what kind of launch titles are we looking at for the Wii U? I remember Smash Bros. wasn't on the list.
The only launch title we know of for sure is Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge. But, I'd say Darksiders II, Batman AC will join in as well. As for the rest, speculation. We'll know when E3 is here.

Hurmun

Neo Member
The only launch title we know of for sure is Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge. But, I'd say Darksiders II, Batman AC will join in as well. As for the rest, speculation. We'll know when E3 is here.

Right on, thanks. I'm assuming there will be some sort of Mario Kart title as well as a new Mario party.

Aren't they re-releasing the latest Zelda game on the Wii U as well? I remember playing it on the Wii U at least years E3.

wsippel

Banned
Not in the same way, I dont think the guys/girls that make the hard-wear for PS3 or 360 made any games, they do own a lot of first Party's but that not the same
And Nintendo Technology Development, the hardware team in Washington, doesn't develop games, either.

Smash could hardly make it to be there by 2012, let alone at launch, since according to Sakurai last June they hadn't even started working on it.

Most likely, for all we know, at launch there will be something between Darksiders 2, Aliens, Ninja gaiden III, Freak mutants from outer space, Medal of honor, Ghost recon, Arkham city; Nintendo may probably put something of its own, but we haven't a clue about what they have in their pipeline, aside from wild guesses.

Well 3rd parties didn't do a whole lot on the Wii to make them more trustworthy. Half assed ports, or ports with changed genres aren't what the customers wanted. When these quick money grabs didn't pan out instead of saying what did we do wrong, they turned against the customer.

If I run a burger joint and every one who comes in with brown eyes I give the grade C beef to, they're not going to want to keep coming back.

Break the cycle by releasing the same quality you release everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom