• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
What he knows that you don't seem to is that nothing concrete on the Wii U's power has been released by Nintendo themselves since E3 obviously a lot can change by then. I admire your attempt to stir up the pot that is this thread though.

I am just going by what's been said. And these are quotes from Nintendo.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ok ok, scratch that. Considering i'll have to play ME3 multiple times to see everything and Xenoblade huge size, the next 3 months should go fast with only these 2 games...hopefully.

Guys, it'll Be Metroid - first or third person. If it's the latter, it's likely a spin-off.

If it's neither of those two, it'll be Zelda.

Trust me.

tkscz

Miyamoto on Wii U power: “So I don’t know that we would be able to sit here and say that it’s going to necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now. It’s part of the balance that we strike in terms of trying to find entertainment that is new and unique.”

I'll just leave this here since Nintendo fans never seem to learn.

trollface.jpg

Trolls never prosper.

Nibel

Guys I hate to be the bearer of "keep your expectations in check", but... keep your expectations in check.

It's more powerful than a current gen console, *obviously* but I wouldn't expect it to be as powerful as, say, the PS4 (releasing at a later date with a higher TDP target will do that) or a high end PC or something.

I'd have figured that much is pretty obvious at this point.

StevieP
Doesn't actually understand technology or have insider info.
(Today, 07:51 PM)

Just leave us in our madness or join us! DECIDE

methodman

Banned
I'd dig up my "fuck the unreal engine" post from like a month ago, but I'm too lazy.

It's not about the unreal engine. I read your post, and agreed with it when you made it... But ue3 was the main middleware used this gen by developers, and ue4 will be the middleware used next gen. Nintendo needs as Many third party games they can get, and making sure ue4 runs on their system is a gateway to getting those games on the wii u

It's not about the unreal engine. I read your post, and agreed with it when you made it... But ue3 was the main middleware used this gen by developers, and ue4 will be the middleware used next gen. Nintendo needs as Many third party games they can get, and making sure ue4 runs on their system is a gateway to getting those games on the wii u
If nintendo is dumb enough to not include the minimum specs needed to run UE4 at any capacity, then they don't deserve any 3rd party games lol.

Guys I hate to be the bearer of "keep your expectations in check", but... keep your expectations in check.

It's more powerful than a current gen console, *obviously* but I wouldn't expect it to be as powerful as, say, the PS4 (releasing at a later date with a higher TDP target will do that) or a high end PC or something.

I'd have figured that much is pretty obvious at this point. It's not going to blow you away, as Miyamoto says (well OK Nintendo software finally in HD may do that) - but it's going to be a step up from the other consoles you're playing now.

No question. The main concern right now should be whether it's powerful enough to run UE4 and other middleware engines designed specifically for next-gen consoles.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

Like they did with the Wii?

Effect

Miyamoto on Wii U power: “So I don’t know that we would be able to sit here and say that it’s going to necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now. It’s part of the balance that we strike in terms of trying to find entertainment that is new and unique.”

I'll just leave this here since Nintendo fans never seem to learn.

I always took that statement to mean that the Wii U wasn't going to leave the PS3 and 360 in the dust the way they did the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. I think many have come to accept that the leap to the next gen wouldn't be so dramatic as there is no point. The whole diminishing returns. That doesn't mean Nintendo is going from Wii to just the PS3/360 level.

In terms of engines I've always wanted Nintendo to work with Crytek over Epic for some reason.

Like they did with the Wii?
The wii-u is going to be completely different than the wii.We know for a fact that the wii-u is going to be able to run cryengine 3 and ue3 something the wii couldn't do.UE4 is going to be scalable because epic can't forget the pc market,and because of that i believe the wii-u can run ue4 at some level.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Actually, the Nintendo GDC booth IS interesting in regard to the Wii U

Check this image

3ds37.jpg

source: joystiq

It's in poster above the booth also, i've seen another picture of it.

It's one of the first time that Big N promote this aggressively the "connected" factor of one of their hardware. We can guess they'll go further with the Wii U.

Just now. haha
Harsh, and untrue - but hysterical and deserved considering how I'm constantly saying things like "c'mon guys - keep your expectations in check". :lol

The Wii U is actually moving to modern, post-unified-shader architecture though. It's not stuck in 1999 anymore.
yeah now they'll be stuck in 2007!

Actually, the Nintendo GDC booth IS interesting in regard to the Wii U

Check this image

3ds37.jpg

source: joystiq

It's in poster above the booth also, i've seen another picture of it.

It's one of the first time that Big N promote this aggressively the "connected" factor of one of their hardware. We can guess they'll go further with the Wii U.

Nice! This is promising, hopefully then integrate the Wii U into this stem. Wii U <> 3DS <> PC.

Nibel

I wouldn't read much into it.

The 3DS is the most connected Nintendo device: Streetpass, Spotpass, Swapnote, the eShop, Nintendo Video, webbrowser etc..

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Hey guys, at least we have NPD data to look froward to!!!
:(

Edit: though this month should be interesting with the Vita launch (assuming we get numbers).

I wouldn't read much into it.

The 3DS is the most connected Nintendo device: Streetpass, Spotpass, Swapnote, the eShop, Nintendo Video, webbrowser etc..

Yes, but I doubt they would try bringing so much attention to it only to have it lacking on the Wii U. It's only natural that they will have at least the same functions, or hopefully more, on the next gen system.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
While it's not that relevant to compare PC system requirements with theoretical Wii U specifications, Nintendo perhaps has had the guidelines for Unreal Engine 3 as a focal point when developing the system. These requirements are:

Minimum PC Hardware Requirements for Developers

Windows XP SP3 (32-bit only) with DirectX 9.0c
2GHz or better CPU
2+ GB RAM
A graphics card with Shader Model 3.0 support, such as nVidia GeForce 7800

NOTE: Windows 7 64bit is currently the mainstream development environment.

Recommended PC Hardware Specs for Developers

Windows 7 64-bit
2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
8 GB System RAM
NVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics card
Plenty of HDD space

PC Hardware Spec Used by Epic Games

HW Spec for Epic's Programmers

Lenovo ThinkStation D20 (Model 4158-C95)
Windows 7 64-bit
Dual Quad-Core Xeon Nehalem Processors (3.17GHz)
24 GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 285 (1 GB DDR3)
3x500 GB Hard Drives (1x OS Drive, 2x Data Drives in a RAID 0 configuration)

HW Spec for Epic's Level Designers

Dell Precision Workstation T7400
Windows 7 64-bit
Dual Quad-Core Xeon Processors (3.0GHz)
16 GB DDR2 RAM

HW Spec for Epic's Artists (same specs as L.D.)

Dell Precision Workstation T7400
Windows 7 64-bit
Dual Quad-Core Xeon Processors (3.0GHz)
16 GB DDR2 RAM

HW Spec for Epic's Testers

Custom built PC's with
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core2Extreme Quad Core Processor - Q6800 - 2.93 GHz
4 GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce 8800 (768 MB GDDR3)
1x320 GB Hard Drive (OS Drive), 1x500 GB Hard Drive (Data Drive)

HW Spec for Swarm Farm Servers

IBM BladeCenter HS22 [7870AC1] (14 Nodes)
Spec for one node:
Dual Quad Core Xeon Processors (2.53 GHz)
24 GB DDR3 RAM
73GB SAS Drive
Source: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UE3MinSpecs.html

As mentioned in another thread, what Stephen Totilo of Kotaku wrote:

The point, Rein explained to me, is that, if you were making a game for next-gen systems that you'd also want running on current systems, you would still go with UE3 and try for Samaritan-level sizzle in the next-gen versions of the game. But if you were going purely next-gen, you'd go with UE4.

I can see Nintendo at first vouching more for Unreal Engine 3 than its successor, as many developers know how to use this engine, and if they have current projects utilizing it, then it bodes well for ports of various kinds. Though for Nintendo to actually not support Unreal Engine 4 would be an unwise decision, as that engine will most likely be, as others have suggested, the most licensed engine next generation. And once developers start to jump shift in 2013-2014, who would want to stick around with eventually arbitrary tools just to have their games for Wii U as well?

Wiz

Yes, this really needs to happen. These applications have become standard (and often pre-installed) on mobile devices as of late, and the 3DS is falling behind.

I'm not sure how likely it is to happen actually. It seems like Swapnote has become the social app for 3DS.

WiiU will probably build upon it even more.

Sadist

BY2K

Membero Americo
Of course it's Pachter.

EDIT: Oh, maybe not.

EDIT2: Jesus, the first one wants Nintendo to die in a fire.

wsippel

Banned
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Of course it's Pachter.

EDIT: Oh, maybe not.

EDIT2: Jesus, the first one wants Nintendo to die in a fire.
Everyone is of course entitled to an opinion, but I don't see the point of talking about dildos and the congé of Mr. Iwata and downright describing Wii U as something superannuated before it has even reached shelves. I can see Kevin Dent taking the opportunity here to cool his engines because of the theme of the show, but it's unprofessional of him to act like that. At least Pachter provides his opinions using good language.

Sadist

Can't watch it, but I guess Divnich is analyst 2?
Correct. He's not unreasonable, but he questions the sales potential of games like AC III on Wii U.

I laughed about the parts where Dent refers to the Wiimote as "a dildo" and that Kinect and Move are WAY better. Even the two hosts of Destructoid were like "Wow".

KrawlMan

You guys should watch this: I think I discovered who talked to Kotaku...

http://www.destructoid.com/experts-debate-max-and-tara-talk-with-videogame-analysts-223455.phtml

Analyst 1: Wii U DOA, can't sell it to anyone, Nintendo going Sega, Iwata should be fired
Analyst 2: Depends on how Nintendo markets it: never underestimate Nintendo

Around the 8:30 mark. He shits on Valve as well :p

No it's his long lost twin brother

I can't stand listening to either of those two guys. I have no idea who either of them are, but they both sound pretty irritating.

Edit: Holy hell, the guy on the right just wants to hate Nintendo.

Nibel

It's amazing how much the Western gaming industry shits on Nintendo these recent years. There was a time where "Nintendo quality" was a term used very often by them.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The hosts have priceless faces pretty much all the way through.

"What the hell is he thinking? What are we doing here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom