• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still if nintendo really are asking developers what they want and making changes to the hardware I suppose anything is possible. The only hope is to wait for this invertor meeting and then E3. Not much else to do which is pretty boring. Man. Nintendo is either setting themselves up for a huge failure or for something BIG. I mean this year long silence might as well be known as the Iron Curtain of Iwata. Everything has to deliver. Everything.

Tell you what though: good or bad I can't wait for the Skype thing we're all gonna do. I'm gonna have the day off. It's gonna be so good.

AzaK

Still if nintendo really are asking developers what they want and making changes to the hardware I suppose anything is possible. The only hope is to wait for this invertor meeting and then E3. Not much else to do which is pretty boring. Man. Nintendo is either setting themselves up for a huge failure or for something BIG. I mean this year long silence might as well be known as the Iron Curtain of Iwata. Everything has to deliver. Everything.

Tell you what though: good or bad I can't wait for the Skype thing we're all gonna do. I'm gonna have the day off. It's gonna be so good.

As far as the general public go they don't care and are likely unaware of the impending release. For us though (me specifically) it's going to be a pretty black or white result. I have high expe rations and if they don't deliver I'll be pretty bummed.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I've just been looking at Nintendo GAF...

Amongst the people waiting to be approved is someone that works for NoA - they're desperate to post in this thread.

Linkhero1

Anyone else think the Wii U's secret feature will be 3D on the DRC?

Amongst the people waiting to be approved is someone that works for NoA - they're desperate to post in this thread.

Lol

Edit: Can someone please link me to the RAM hinting.

uhm...How exactly did you go about looking at Nintendo Gaf?

Anyone else think the Wii U's secret feature will be 3D on the DRC?

I really dont see the point of such a feature on a secondary screen that probably wont be looked at 100% of the time in the majority of games.

I do remember IdeaMan stating that he was surprised by the amount of RAM.. so I keep going back-and-forth between 1.5 and 2.0GB. But given Mark Rein's water-meet-fish praise, Nintendo's claims that they've taken input from third parties on the hardware, and Nintendo's stated goal of pursuing the core, 2GB would not be the least bit shocking to me.

It all points in that direction, the more I think about it.

Here is the context of the original discussion (100ppp warning):

AceBandage said:
JuniorMan said:
… i can say that the retail version of Wii U will absolutely not have less than 1 GB of ram. You can ditch this 760mb of ram rumor and never look back.

The exciting bonus: From what i know, i'm also pretty sure that it will not have just 1 GB.

Yeah, nothing ground breaking.
1.5GB is what I've been expecting and that is definitely good news.

thatfirstguy said:
To be more precise, i was quite surprised by the amount of ram expected in the retail version.

I think this message is a bigger hint that the previous one :p

To my untrained eye, this seems to be saying that the amount of total memory will exceed 1.5GB in fairly absolute terms. The most likely >1.5GB memory size is 2.0GB, but going that far is speculation.

I'm only at post 11020 now, but I'm kind of excited about the lib news for reasons that I cannot fathom. I rather feel for the developers, though, as aside from certain aspects of politics and drivers who ignore traffic rules, getting shitty symbol errors when I try to compile is the most rage-inducing thing that my mind can visualise.

However, for anybody think that the reason for the errors are a change in the cpu:

A) The problem is happening for people who have the same old devkit and are being given a software upgrade by Nintendo and/or its partners. This is a sign that Nintendo does not expect for the new software to conflict with the old hardware, so it should not be considered a sign of hardware change.

B) You can change cpu hardware quite a bit without breaking compatibility. My current compiler will work on my single-core system as well as the 48-core quake processing server on the other side of the wall I'm looking at right now. So Nintendo would not necessarily have to introduce an incompatible compiler for a minor boost in cpu specification.

Okay, now to catch up and realize that everything that I just wrote above has already been covered. :)

M74

On the subject of the Upad, I know the lack of proper handles, triggers, and sticks has been talked to death, but is anyone else concerned over the button layout? If I'm playing a game which heavily relies on the face buttons, having them in the lower position looks awfully uncomfortable.

can we communicate through corgi gifs from now on

Not sure...

1285687334_puppy-vs-stairs.gif

Linkhero1

On the subject of the Upad, I know the lack of proper handles, triggers, and sticks has been talked to death, but is anyone else concerned over the button layout? If I'm playing a game which heavily relies on the face buttons, having them in the lower position looks awfully uncomfortable.

I'm more concerned with the sticks than the layout. Nintendo usually gets the layout of the controller to be the best it can be. Who knows, they might have decided on a new layout that we'll see at E3.

I know of one other NoA employee that posts on GAF, though he hasn't posted in these threads. I still need to play him in Kid Icarus...

I'm more concerned with the sticks than the layout. Nintendo usually gets the layout of the controller to be the best it can be. Who knows, they might have decided on a new layout that we'll see at E3.

I really don't see why people are so concerned about the analog sliders. They seem to be made pretty well.
Though who knows what the thing will look like at E3.

Linkhero1

I really don't see why people are so concerned about the analog sliders. They seem to be made pretty well.

I don't know if they would work well with a future Smash Bros. game is all. Personally I'm concerned for that reason alone. I don't think I'll be bugged using it for any other game since I like the 3DS slider and the Wii U sliders look better.

Catching up on the thread a bit and just wanted to thank IdeaMan for the interesting info on face/eye capture and how Nintendo/devs are putting that aside a bit for now, focusing on core things, ect.

Damn you guys. Getting me all excited with this increased RAM talk.

Me too! :D

edit: Just noticed iherre's post, d'oh.

I know of one other NoA employee that posts on GAF, though he hasn't posted in these threads. I still need to play him in Kid Icarus...

Still want analogs though..unless of course they feel superior to analogs then no..mainly for smash bros..E3 should hopefully answer alot of stuff I cant keep thinking of playing smash with one pad and 3 wiimotes or whatever just thinking about that fucks up my brain damnit!

Still want analogs though..unless of course they feel superior to analogs then no..mainly for smash bros..E3 should hopefully answer alot of stuff I cant keep thinking of playing smash with one pad and 3 wiimotes or whatever just thinking about that fucks up my brain damnit!

I can pretty much see them releasing a wireless CCPro for the system, for all the 4 player games.

I don't know if they would work well with a future Smash Bros. game is all. Personally I'm concerned for that reason alone. I don't think I'll be bugged using it for any other game since I like the 3DS slider and the Wii U sliders look better.

I still lament the insistence of using an analog stick on what is essentially a 2D game. Irritated me so much with the classic controller on Brawl.

I have no problem with the WiiU sliders. At least they're not the disgusting mini analog sticks of the Vita. Eep.

I still lament the insistence of using an analog stick on what is essentially a 2D game. Irritated me so much with the classic controller on Brawl.

I have no problem with the WiiU sliders. At least they're not the disgusting mini analog sticks of the Vita. Eep.

I've put some time into the demo units, and I agree.
How anyone thinks these are a good idea...
My thumbs slip off way too easily.

Linkhero1

There's your problem.

I only used a GC controller for Brawl. As long as they make an attachment that allows me to use my GC controller I don't care what they put as a stick. Hell put a trackball for all I care.

The lower position is where your default thumb location is. In shooters, for example, the thumb is always there because it's used for rotation constantly. So if you're playing a game which heavily relies on the face buttons, having them in the lower position should be more convenient, no? It would be if you're playing a game where you have to access the right analog constantly that would be an issue in your scenario, I would think.

(in truth, I have noticed no substantial comfort difference on the left side between the Playstation and Xbox controllers, where the buttons and analog are swapped, so I don't see why there'd be much of a difference on the right side)

I am more concerned about the "diamond layout" of the buttons. I think it would be much better to have a layout where each button is more distinct, like we had with the GameCube. QTEs are tremendously more horrible when all the buttons feel exactly the same and they only tactile difference are the locations, which don't correspond to the button names (seriously, could they not have called the buttons N, S, E, and W for us Englishers?).

I can pretty much see them releasing a wireless CCPro for the system, for all the 4 player games.

This has been a particular requirement for me to be able to play with my friends, who are still insisting on the use of GameCube controllers. In 2012. Even though I utterly destroy them at nearly every game we play.

Linkhero1

This has been a particular requirement for me to be able to play with my friends, who are still insisting on the use of GameCube controllers. In 2012. Even though I utterly destroy them at nearly every game we play.

What's wrong with GC controllers? They're more comfortable than the CCPRO when it comes to Brawl.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I thought lherre and the others have been quite clear about 1.5GB of RAM from the very beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom