• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Is the crisis of timid third party support a fact or is it just Crysis 3 that won't land on Wii U? Nobody knows for sure, but the graphically intense escapade for 2013 isn't looking likely to see a release on Nintendo's next generation system.

As for Wii U support, Rasmus told us there's "not a fat chance" of the game appearing on Nintendo's next system. Probably for the best, I still don't see how first-person shooters will be any fun on that hulking controller.

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/-fat-chance-of-crysis-3-coming-to-the-wii-u-226413.phtml

So, can it run Crysis?

Linkhero1

Am I the only one thinking releasing Pikmin 2 on Wii in NA in June is to raise awareness of the franchise so Pikmin 3 will sell more?

That's pretty much what I thought of when I saw the thread. There's no reason they would be releasing it this late other than to drive awareness.

Rösti;37250018 said:
Is the crisis of timid third party support a fact or is it just Crysis 3 that won't land on Wii U? Nobody knows for sure, but the graphically intense escapade for 2013 isn't looking likely to see a release on Nintendo's next generation system.

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/-fat-chance-of-crysis-3-coming-to-the-wii-u-226413.phtml

So, can it run Crysis?

That sucks but I never played the first two. They're just sitting on my steam backlog waiting to be played.

As for why I put Kirby above DK?

Well, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack and Return to Dreamland all came out very recently. Epic Yarn was competitive with DK:R in terms of acclaim, and all three were easily competitive in terms of sales. As far as I'm concerned, Kirby Edges it. Plus, he's hardworking. Give him a break.

DKCR sold 5 million copies last we heard.
Epic Yarn sold 1.59 million last we heard.
Mass Attack sold 1.01 million last we heard ( Nintendo 2012 January Supplementary info 120127e.pdf)
Return to Dreamland sold 1.21 million last we heard (same source)

Donkey Kong Country Returns sold over a million more than Epic Yarn PLUS Mass Attack PLUS Return to Dreamland.

I like Kirby. But if he's in a tier with Donkey Kong, he's not at the top of it.

edit: DKCR also handily beat the sales of the last Zelda and possibly the one before that, though not combined.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
How about a Pikmin / Pokemon crossover?

They can call it Poikemoin.

ShadowOS

Banned
Rösti;37250018 said:

So, can it run Crysis?
hmm

usually when someone says "fat chance" it's sarcastic, as in "not going to happen". this guy however said "not a fat chance". can we take that as the double negative to mean "it's not NOT going to happen"?

i think crysis 3 is gonna come to wii u. just watch.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Rösti;37250018 said:

So, can it run Crysis?

I don't read Nintendoom articles, but this one certainly shows how casually the press just dismisses the platform, like no one would disagree. What assholes.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
hmm

usually when someone says "fat chance" it's sarcastic, as in "not going to happen". this guy however said "not a fat chance". can we take that as the double negative to mean "it's not NOT going to happen"?

NDA strikes again!!!!

Rösti;37250018 said:

So, can it run Crysis?

"I still don't see how first-person shooters will be any fun on that hulking controller."

say wut?

Nintendo can't please anyone

Anth0ny

As for Wii U support, Rasmus told us there's "not a fat chance" of the game appearing on Nintendo's next system. Probably for the best, I still don't see how first-person shooters will be any fun on that hulking controller.

Say goodbye to "dildo controller" and say hello to "hulking controller". This gen is going to be fun.

How about a Pikmin / Pokemon crossover?

They can call it Poikemoin.

"PKMN"

Guest starring a Pikeman from Civilization.

Say goodbye to "dildo controller" and say hello to "hulking controller". This gen is going to be fun.

Remember: If it's not shaped exactly like a sixth gen controller, then it's impossible to have proper fun with it.

This is why keyboard and mouse is being more and more pushed to the side in the PC realm.

AzaK

Rösti;37250018 said:

So, can it run Crysis?

haha what idiot wrote that tidbit?

" still don't see how first-person shooters will be any fun on that hulking controller." EDIT: Beaten :)

You gotta be kidding me right?

Either way, it'd be interesting to hear why "Not a fat chance". If you're being pessimistic you'd take the "3rd parties hate Nintendo. Wii U Doomed" but it's probably more like "No way does it have the power".

It makes sense really. Everyone in the universe (Yes, even martians) use Skype so to have that on your system means people don't have to either go a buy a Wii U just to chat (They won't do that) or install a 3rd party app that you'd need to support on OSX, Windows, iOS, Android etc

BurntPork

Banned
hmm

Yeah, that actually hit me after I posted and read the title. Still, I won't get excited.
haha what idiot wrote that tidbit?

" still don't see how first-person shooters will be any fun on that hulking controller."

You gotta be kidding me right?

Either way, it'd be interesting to hear why "Not a fat chance". If you're being pessimistic you'd take the "3rd parties hate Nintendo. Wii U Doomed" but it's probably more like "No way does it have the power".
Weaker than current gen confirmed?

"I still don't see how first-person shooters will be any fun on that hulking controller."

say wut?

Nintendo can't please anyone

Yeah, the writer's Hamza. He tends to say stupid shit. The controller's smaller than it seems, and like I've said before, it'll be a relief after holding the tiny pointy 3DS for so long.

My philosophy of NCW (Nintendo Can't Win) prevails.

BD1

Banned
Only recent years would be taken into account, the list is constantly being updated.

Neither DK or Kirby have the power level to compete with the A team. Hence why I put them both in the upper B team. As for why I put Kirby above DK?

Well, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack and Return to Dreamland all came out very recently. Epic Yarn was competitive with DK:R in terms of acclaim, and all three were easily competitive in terms of sales. As far as I'm concerned, Kirby Edges it. Plus, he's hardworking. Give him a break.

DKCR sold more than Skyward Sword.

BY2K

Membero Americo

If Crysis 3 can't run on Wii U, that definitely means the Wii U is less powerful than the PS3 and 36...

Oh my God, someone is gonna make a thread out of this...

antonz

Not a fat chance is indeed a double negative and while he was saying it he was also smirking. We know Nintendo is said to be working pretty closely with the major engine makers. I would be shocked if a 2013 console title skipped Wii U from a major developer. Small developers with minimal staff I could see maybe having issues

If you listen to the interview, the "not a" is one thought he had, then he changed it to "fat chance". Then he talks about how Crysis 3 isn't in the cards for a Wii-U release.

DKCR sold more than Skyward Sword.

Hah, you beat me to it! I had just edited the post from five minutes ago (the DKCR sold more than the last three Kirby games combined with room for a fourth) with the very same.

Donkey Kong could be considered B-tier, certainly. But it is so staggeringly above Kirby right now that the latter almost looks like a tier below.

HylianTom

Banned
I don't read Nintendoom articles, but this one certainly shows how casually the press just dismisses the platform, like no one would disagree. What assholes.
There are whole swaths of the gaming press that.. nevermind. I'll get myself in trouble if I speak honestly.

Let's just say that I loathe much of gaming press. Yep.

Conor 419

Banned
DKCR sold 5 million copies last we heard.
Epic Yarn sold 1.59 million last we heard.
Mass Attack sold 1.01 million last we heard ( Nintendo 2012 January Supplementary info 120127e.pdf)
Return to Dreamland sold 1.21 million last we heard (same source)

Donkey Kong Country Returns sold over a million more than Epic Yarn PLUS Mass Attack PLUS Return to Dreamland.

I like Kirby. But if he's in a tier with Donkey Kong, he's not at the top of it.

edit: DKCR also handily beat the sales of the last Zelda and possibly the one before that, though not combined.

Sure the game outsold the three by an extra million, but surely you'd agree that Kirby's been doing more solid work for the Nintendo fanbase as of late? I mean, I would change it, I'd just feel pretty bad for Kirby.

- Even if I MAYBE concede Kirby, there's no way in fuck I'm ranking DK over Zelda. No fucking way.

axisofweevils

There are whole swaths of the gaming press that.. nevermind. I'll get myself in trouble if I speak honestly.

Let's just say that I loathe much of gaming press. Yep.

So, have we abandoned the idea of a Nintendo GAF-run site? With articles like these, we need one more than ever...

Linkhero1

Sure the game outsold the three by an extra million, but surely you'd agree that Kirby's been doing more solid work for the Nintendo fanbase as of late? I mean, I would change it, I'd just feel pretty bad for Kirby.

- Even if I MAYBE concede Kirby, there's no way in fuck I'm ranking DK over Zelda. No fucking way.

After Skyward Sword and the two DS abominations I wouldn't feel bad about ranking it higher.

Not that I would. Link's Awakening is still my favorite game ever.

My friend always (always) plays as Kirby in Brawl, and he uses pretty much only cheap moves. My rage for the little round jerk runs high.

no it doesn't

- Even if a MAYBE concede Kirby, there's no way in fuck I'm ranking DK over Zelda. No fucking way.

I would also rank Zelda over Donkey Kong. The former has been flagging whereas the latter is revitalized; nonetheless, it would take much more to have them swap positions again.

So, have we abandoned the idea of a Nintendo GAF-run site? With articles like these, we need one more than ever...

Well, did you make a website?

Linkhero1

I don't know why everyone keeps saying we abandoned it. We can start anytime, it doesn't look like the big man will care.

Anybody host?

If I'm not busy during the summer I wouldn't mind hosting. I have five weeks left this semester and if I don't get a new job this summer then I wouldn't mind.

AzaK

Yeah, that actually hit me after I posted and read the title. Still, I won't get excited.

Weaker than current gen confirmed?

If Crysis 3 can't run on Wii U, that definitely means the Wii U is less powerful than the PS3 and 36...

Oh my God, someone is gonna make a thread out of this...

Until this "article" I hadn't followed Crysis 3 and I just noticed on the front page of NeoGAF that Crytek is talking about some DX11 style features on the 360/PS3. So, if that's the case then it's definitely not a power issue and I have no fucking idea why it won't be coming. Assuming that's what the Crytek guy meant.

wsippel

Banned

I'm not sure if it's true or not but I wouldn't be shocked if the sales proved you wrong. Zelda just isn't the juggernaut it once was for the general public. Sure we go nuts for it here, but the sales speak for themselves.

The other problem is what has Zelda really done to change itself up lately? I know DKCR wasn't exactly the most innovative title on the planet, but that game + games like New Super Mario Bros. have really re-ignited casual gamer interest in a way that very few games have lately. Multiplayer, easy to play but hard to master single player... good for hardcore and casual. Zelda SS is similar to Zelda Twilight Princess which is similar to MM which is similar to OoT. Conceptually other than whatever the gimmick is of the game it will play largely the same.

For the record I rank OoT and MM in my all time top 5, and Twilight Princess was such a fantastic homage to OoT with the added zany space stuff also (which I didn't mind). SS didn't do it for me.

Crytek video is pretty unequivocal. No way to spin this as anything other than a failure by Nintendo* to overcome its history of poor relations with Western third parties.

Well, it's just one title. :/

*I say Nintendo because the onus is on them - it's been clear for a while that they would have to work a lot harder to get decent third-party support than Sony or MS did for their HD consoles, or will for their next. Some of that is a result of decisions Nintendo has made in previous generations that have alienated third parties, and some is just stupidity/stubbornness/etc. on third parties' part, but the reality is what it is and Nintendo can't expect third parties to change it purely out of the goodness of their hearts.

Still think Crysis 3 is coming to Wii U. He cant flat out and say "its coming to WiiU" while being under NDA. Just wait until E3, 6(7) more weeks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom