• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want a controller that looks nice, I want a controller that I can hold without killing my hands. (Not saying it's not the case of your re-design, just saying that comfort > look.)

Oh, I agree that functionality comes first, but it's not at all impossible to make something comfortable look nice.

I wish I could test the comfort of my design, but it would be expensive to make a model of it, lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The screen got bigger, but at the expense of the button placement and actual analog sticks.

Not a good compromise!

That's what I thought at first, but the images are to scale, and the screens are about (if not) the same size. Seems like what they've wanted to do is bring thumbs closer to the touch pad, trimming width to draw the analogue sticks closer in. The screen remains the same size, but in order to fit the analogue sticks they've had to move buttons directly below. And, probably because they felt it looked nice and maybe made it easier again to switch between the touch pad and the screen, they've turned the analogue sticks into pads.

It literally looks like a controller designed for people who don't use controllers.

RedSwirl

Hat needs to be left in the SD era. The better these games look, the dumber it looks.

lmhki.jpg

MisterHero

I'd like to see a modular controller, like one of the 3DS prototypes:

2v3bz.jpg

That way we could place the Dpad/Sticks/buttons where we wanted to depending on the game being played.
I'd love to see something like that someday, because you could just replace a stick if it broke

Terrell

Unfortunately for Nintendo I don't live in fantasy land where I assume all their stuff is wonderful and works brilliantly. I haven't held the controller, so I don't know how it feels. But I have never, not once, used a pad that is as satisfying as an analogue stick. So there's their first mistake. The pads don't have any visible grip, just like the 3DS pad, and I hate that. So there's mistake number 2. Lastly, the buttons look weirdly out of place. Impossible to truly judge until I play it, but hardly appealing.

Here's what Nintendo can do: they can produce a product that feels damn great to use, when I use it. Until then I can only go off how it looks and the reports I hear.

And I don't care how strongly Nintendo claim the Wii U is backwards compatible with the controllers. The Wii U pad is obviously the centrepiece, and thus the Wii Remote will always be secondary. Hopefully Nintendo prove me wrong big time, because I'm honestly going to miss the Wii remote.

Alright, everyone was warned, time to break out this chestnut YET AGAIN:

FFS, LOOK AT THE CONTROLLER AGAIN, FOLKS.

italiatopgames_pXpx7t0decjEOY4ML7dg43PEt36z28soZiHHjvCf.jpg

Compared to THIS:

right_content.png

3 things that immediately are visibly apparent:

- rubber circle for the ability to grip that isn't present on the 3DS pad

- protrudes from the unit MUCH more than the 3DS pad, offering better leverage

- wider recessed circle surrounding the pad, providing greater accuracy and range of motion than the 3DS pad

So let's please please PLEASE stop acting like it's the same god-damn thing when it's clearly, even just from VISUAL INSPECTION, leaps and bounds better.

So first off, you were stating things that were factually inaccurate, and then when corrected about it having a grip similar to the nun chuck, which you already praised for feeling comfortable and with adequate grip, it still sucks.... just wanted to throw that out there.

Second, you have never held the controller yet you talk of MISTAKES? It's not a mistake until you KNOW it's a mistake. I don't live in this "magical land" where Nintendo does no wrong either (and was GREATLY non-plussed that a mod would put words into my mouth). There's a great potential for them to screw this up (I, for one, will see it as a missed opportunity if there's no analog triggers). But that's all it is: POTENTIAL for a mistake. But you're speaking in absolutes and definitives without anything to base that on. It's a tad unsettling.

And lastly, EVERY SINGLE CONTROLLER that Nintendo has shown has undergone a re-design after its first showing, dating back to the N64!

N64 original controller design: L/R buttons were originally thinner and protruded less from the controller, the analog stick had NO grips and was made of a matte plastic, the Z trigger was nearly flush with the controller, the handles tapered much thinner than the final design

Gamecube original controller design: NO D-PAD, handles were longer and tapered too thin, C-stick and start button (where the D-Pad was in the final design) were angled too far downward, B button was shaped like the Y and X buttons

And I don't need to tell you what changed with the Wii, the info graphic from earlier does that nicely.

So.... yeah..................... enjoy those definitive statements, man.

well you haven't played the wii u controller right?

wii u pads = 3ds pad with added nunchuck edge things. it makes the wii u pads feel sharp.

that's what i'm trying to say.

When I used them they weren't that much like the 3DS slidepad

The 3DS one is a flat disc on the deck. The Wii U one was raised (though still a slider), a few cm deep, and made of rubber. It would grip your thumb because of the little ring around the top, like the Classic Controller Pro analog stick.

Actually, I'd say it felt like the top of the CC Pro but bigger and without the stick part.

BD1

Banned

The 3DS one is a flat disc on the deck. The Wii U one was raised (though still a slider), a few cm deep, and made of rubber. It would grip your thumb because of the little ring around the top, like the Classic Controller Pro analog stick.

Actually, I'd say it felt like the top of the CC Pro but bigger and without the stick part.

I know this all eventually boils down to personal preference, but did you like using sliders? Did you think there was a noticeable difference compared to a 360 or PS3 stick? I'm interested in comparisons to a traditional analog stick from the folks who have used the DRC.

just tell me, will I like it? You've read my complaints I'm sure.

Roo

sadly, those tend to fade away with intense use...
my two nunchuks know about it :(

I know this all eventually boils down to personal preference, but did you like using sliders? Did you think there was a noticeable difference compared to a 360 or PS3 stick? I'm interested in comparisons to a traditional analog stick from the folks who have used the DRC.

just tell me, will I like it? You've read my complaints I'm sure.

I'd personally prefer an analog stick thinking about playing, say, Mario Galaxy, but I'm pretty good at getting used to stuff

Ultimately it is going to depend on long term use. My big issue with sliders is that you have to physically hold the disc up instead of pushing it up, but the "button" sizes of these should mitigate that a lot.

I think people are going to eventually see why they went for sliders over raised sticks but not necessarily be happy about it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So first off, you were stating things that were factually inaccurate, and then when corrected about it having a grip similar to the nun chuck, which you already praised for feeling comfortable and with adequate grip, it still sucks.... just wanted to throw that out there.

The grip is similar to the Nunchuck. It is not identical, and it is a pad, where my concerns lie (due to the manner in which you tilt a pad versus a stick).

Second, you have never held the controller yet you talk of MISTAKES? It's not a mistake until you KNOW it's a mistake. I don't live in this "magical land" where Nintendo does no wrong either (and was GREATLY non-plussed that a mod would put words into my mouth). There's a great potential for them to screw this up (I, for one, will see it as a missed opportunity if there's no analog triggers). But that's all it is: POTENTIAL for a mistake. But you're speaking in absolutes and definitives without anything to base that on. It's a tad unsettling.

I spoke of no definitives, already stated I had never used the controller, did not claim you said anything you did not. I also stated it would be impossible for me to truly judge without playing. This is the literal opposite of a definitive.

And lastly, EVERY SINGLE CONTROLLER that Nintendo has shown has undergone a re-design after its first showing, dating back to the N64!

As already posted, the Wii Remote is almost identical. Different, yes. But marginally. Functionally it might as well be the same thing. And logically I would accept a revision and change. But because I don't live in the future I do not have access to any information other than the present.

So.... yeah..................... enjoy those definitive statements, man.

Back up. Take a deep breath. Calm down. It's not a big deal. Stop taking my disagreeance with you over the design and aesthetics of the Wii U pad as some hysterically mad wronging.

I'd personally prefer an analog stick thinking about playing, say, Mario Galaxy, but I'm pretty good at getting used to stuff

Ultimately it is going to depend on long term use. My big issue with sliders is that you have to physically hold the disc up instead of pushing it up, but the "button" sizes of these should mitigate that a lot.

I think people are going to ultimately see why they went for sliders over raised sticks but not necessarily be happy about it.
well yeah it goes without saying that an analog stick would be better, but I was saying under the assumption that is off the table (I hope it's not though). And I know what you mean about holding the sliders up. Just annoying stuff.

It's things like that which truly make me wonder whether or not nintendo notices these things. I assume they do and just assume it's no big deal or they just don't care or something. It's a bit weird. I think they're notable problems.

Linkhero1

I think people are going to eventually see why they went for sliders over raised sticks but not necessarily be happy about it.

Sounds rather annoying imo.

Kinda has me worried at the same time. Did it take you a while to get used to playing with the controller?

Antioch

I'm curious what people here think THQ's supposed Wii U exclusive is, as I have seen little discussion about it, so what do you think?

Is the why we're supposed to recognize a purely aesthetic choice, or is there a supposed reason for the change?

It would honestly be uncomfortable on that controller. Your thumb would be stretching too far up.

From grip to top of the thumb...try stacking two CCPros or Dualshocks or whatever on top of each other and using the analog stick comfortably. For a lot of people, that would be fine, but a lot more would start to feel strained after a while.

LOL ^^

I needed others to feel my pain.

:\

-removal of handles
-moving the buttons/d-pad into a thumb cramping location directly under the analogs
-trading the sticks for circle pads

WTF

Instro

I'm curious what people here think THQ's supposed Wii U exclusive is, as I have seen little discussion about it, so what do you think?

Maybe related to that 1666 trademark:

http://games.ign.com/articles/122/1220815p1.html

Of the 2 unannounced THQ WiiU games one is Wii U/3DS/Wii/PS3/360, and one is exclusive. Safe to assume the first is something related to udraw(although this line is supposedly dead?) or some other casual franchise since it includes the Wii.

Perhaps this exclusive game is one of those 3rd party collaborations/moneyhats that Iwata talked about a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom