• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo always seem to find something to add to a platform even years after its launch in the form of peripherals that new games can be developed around

I am hoping they can have all of those on day one and the only updates we see are Software based upgrades

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
do 3rd parties (and you ;)) know what the changes will be?
from what you know, is it something irrelevant (such as the power button placed somewhere else) or more significant (bigger buttons / changed form factor)?

Well, it was implied in the answer and i think i already touch upon that before. Third-parties are aware of changes (maybe not all) that Nintendo want to do on the DRC they actually use for their development.

This is why i said "it's not the updated version", because Nintendo warned them some things will be different.

For the level of modifications, it's significant. Clearly not irrelevant, excluding a change of plans by Nintendo, because third-parties didn't see themselves this new DRC revision, it's just information for them, forewords, warnings from Big N, not a real object between their hands.

Antioch

Yep, i warned since thread 2 that third-parties aren't aware of another major "physical" feature, present in the DRC or on the system that we don't already known.

Now, and as said in this topic or the rayman one: third-party developers still don't have the "updated" DRC, that we'll be able to see come E3. Consider this a fact. Maybe there's something kept hidden from them on it, but i doubt it would be groundbreaking because it would mean a very late implementation of the new function in their game, or even an absence of it in all third-parties launch titles.

The surprises left will surely come through the software layer (OS, Online, connectivity, etc.) of the system.

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, what would your guess be as to what secret feature may remain and how important it would be?

Yep, i warned since thread 2 that third-parties aren't aware of another major "physical" feature, present in the DRC or on the system that we don't already known.

Now, and as said in this topic or the rayman one: third-party developers still don't have the "updated" DRC, that we'll be able to see come E3. Consider this a fact. Maybe there's something kept hidden from them on it, but i doubt it would be groundbreaking because it would mean a very late implementation of the new function in their game, or even an absence of it in all third-parties launch titles.

The surprises left will surely come through the software layer (OS, Online, connectivity, etc.) of the system.

IPad 3 level hardware inside the Controller. Nintendo getting into the tablet market full force^^

lol.

Strife91

I have never worn out a controller in my entire life, but my brother has ruined four 360 controller. Why? Because he doesn't take care of them. I let him borrow my new DS3 controller a few times and it was already in worse condition than my old DS3 controller which I have used for thousands of hours. You're obviously doing something wrong.

Don't freaking click sticks and triggers repeatedly out of boredom. When prompted to do circular movements with the sticks, use your thumb and not your palm.

tkscz

I have never worn out a controller in my entire life, but my brother has ruined four 360 controller. Why? Because he doesn't take care of them. I let him borrow my new DS3 controller a few times and it was already in worse condition than my old DS3 controller which I have used for thousands of hours. You're obviously doing something wrong.

Don't freaking click sticks and triggers repeatedly out of boredom. When prompted to do circular movements with the sticks, use your thumb and not your palm. Don't drop the controller on the floor.

Would not work with the N64's controller. That was the only way to win Mario Party.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still really surprised by the higher dpi on the tablet controller. I think that's amazing and the games are going to look great, as evidenced in the Rayman trailer.

DrWong

Well, it was implied in the answer and i think i already touch upon that before. Third-parties are aware of changes (maybe not all) that Nintendo want to do on the DRC they actually use for their development.

This is why i said "it's not the updated version", because Nintendo warned them some things will be different.

For the level of modifications, it's significant. Clearly not irrelevant, excluding a change of plans by Nintendo, because third-parties didn't see themselves this new DRC revision, it's just information for them, forewords, warnings from Big N, not a real object between their hands.
Nice to begin this new hype session with this. So with that in mind it's probable NFC is not the rumored "secret feature" (whatever it is, hardware or software).

Edit: don't know why I wrote this. Forget about it.

Edit²: Hey guys, I'm a member now. My Account is ready.

BurntPork

Banned

Nintendo did this with the Wii Remote's speaker. :/

IPad 3 level hardware inside the Controller. Nintendo getting into the tablet market full force^^

lol.

Controller more powerful than the console confirmed!

This is yet another joke making fun of certain people's thoughts on Wii U.

aeroslash

Maybe i'm really short sighted, but i really don't know what else Nintendo can do except for the "facial recognition" type of applications already mentioned..

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Nintendo did this with the Wii Remote's speaker. :/

Yeah i know, this is why i said "not something groundbreaking". A late addition of some sword & firing sounds to be played by the Wii-mote speaker is one thing, but really taking advantage of haptic feedback (in a not-gimmicky fashion) or another more important feature is different for developers. "Hell, we intended our game to use the DRC screen as a bird eye view with objects of the scene very tiny, and now, as we are presenting it at E3, as we are polishing & testing & finishing it, you say we can make the sand of our environment being felt by the players ? But, but, we would have thought of other uses for the padlet then ! We've got a lot of ideas for our title using this kept hidden feature and we won't have the time to implement them !"

I'm not excluding the possibility, but big third-parties aren't even aware of the addition of another important feature on the DRC now, just one month before E3, so this situation tends to point that there won't be a very significant late & surprising new thing added to the padlet.

joshwaan

lol.

Hehe hope you right to some extent with extra hardware in the controller mate :)

Ideaman I'm going through other pages of this thread to find a response to my question cannot seem to find it.

Anyways my question is do you know if Nintendo will give us a option to use the controller wired and wireless?

Don't freaking click sticks and triggers repeatedly out of boredom. When prompted to do circular movements with the sticks, use your thumb and not your palm.

Yeah no, both the DS3 and the 360 pad are of very shoddy build quality. The Sticks deteriorate through normal use and the deadzone increases dramatically over the course of a year. Now that would be ok, as it is normal wear and tear, but the 360 sticks in particular become loose and the deadzone becomes laughably high mainly due to the click function. The DS3 is a lot better in that regard, but probably because the DS3 sticks are very loose from the get go.
The only stick worse than the one on the 360 and DS3 is the GC c-Stick. That POS was the weakest crap ever built into a controller.

Oh and I take good care of my controllers. I even repair them myself when possible and clean them every 4 months or so.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Hehe hope you right to some extent with extra hardware in the controller mate :)

Ideaman I'm going through other pages of this thread to find a response to my question cannot seem to find it.

Anyways my question is do you know if Nintendo will give us a option to use the controller wired and wireless?

I don't know for sure. We can all guess it will be possible, imagine being out of battery and having to wait a few hours before playing again, it would be a nightmare. I expect a Xbox360 situation, you'll recharge with a cable connected to USB ports. Dev kits don't have other input ports (beside one(s) specific for dev kits to connect the DRC to them for ease of development & other parameters, that won't be present on the retail systems).

Roo

I don't know for sure. We can all guess it will be possible, imagine being out of battery and having to wait a few hours before playing again, it would be a nightmare. I expect a Xbox360 situation, you'll recharge with a cable connected to USB ports. Dev kits don't have other input ports (beside one(s) specific for dev kits to connect the DRC to them for ease of development & other parameters, that won't be present on the retail systems).

So it is safe to assume Nintendo and developers are pretty much at the end of the line with dev kits and all that stuff?
like, "We're done with tweaking and enhancing this thing, we'll start mass production late June, but here's the final dev kit with all the improvements"

opi1saved

Neo Member
Yeah i know, this is why i said "not something groundbreaking".....so this situation tends to point that there won't be a very significant late & surprising new thing added to the padlet.

Not to be difficult but I think I'm misunderstanding you. Is it possibly not significant in the sense that it will change gameplay, yet significant in aesthetics or minor functionality (ie change to analog sticks, addition of clickables, or a return to orbiting buttons)?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Frontier (LostWinds, Kinectimals) working on something for Wii U?

French website Livegen is claiming that the studio has a Wii U project in the work, according to their own source.

With all these announcements & expected titles coming to the Wii U eShop/NiN, we can surely expect a shift of the allocation of our budget between retail & digital games. It's like we'll be flooded by indie/small studios/only digitally distributed projects.

It's exciting ! Et j'aimerais bien être de la partie DrWong ! J'ai trop d'idées dans la tête, ça déborde, je dois les exprimer, et c'est relou que le jeu vidéo soit un art/média/industrie où tu dépends trop de compétences très techniques pour pouvoir réellement créer, un bouquin, de la musique, même un film, tu peux le faire tout seul ou avec une bande de pote, avec peu de matos et en apprenant sur le tas, un jeu vidéo, faut s'y connaître en coding, faut diviser les tâches, trop de trucs à faire, faut constituer une team, etc. Ok ya les RPG-maker mais c'est pas ça. Ya un business à faire dans le "videogames making software", un peu comme les player toolkits de certains rpg mais en plus ouvert, plus étendu, pour qu'un artiste 2D ou 3D, un scénariste, un writer, un gamedesigner, un level designer, un mec avec des idées, un sound designer, ou que sais-je, puisse développer un proto de jeu sans devoir forcément s'y connaître à fond en code, en programmation, etc.

Voilà, c'était l'instant "il faut parler un peu français dans ce thread, défendre notre exception culturelle, et ptete que frédéric nous récompensera en nous invitant boire un kawa et des macarons à une future expo sur les jeux vidéo :p"

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Not to be difficult but I think I'm misunderstanding you. Is it possibly not significant in the sense that it will change gameplay, yet significant in aesthetics or minor functionality (ie change to analog sticks, addition of clickables, or a return to orbiting buttons)?

I was using the same words as the post i quoted to define the extent of the modifications :)

edit: it doesn't mean the overall form will change huh, but if irrelevant = a tiny alteration of the power button position, and significant = bigger differences from the DRC we known than that, then these modifications are significant.

Elesias

Neo Member
With all these announcements & expected titles coming to the Wii U eShop/NiN, we can surely expect a shift of the allocation of our budget between retail & digital games. It's like we'll be flooded by indie/small studios/only digitally distributed projects.

It's exciting ! Et j'aimerais bien être de la partie DrWong ! J'ai trop d'idées dans la tête, ça déborde, je dois les exprimer, et c'est relou que le jeu vidéo soit un art/média/industrie où tu dépends trop de compétences très techniques pour pouvoir réellement créer, un bouquin, de la musique, même un film, tu peux le faire tout seul ou avec une bande de pote, avec peu de matos et en apprenant sur le tas, un jeu vidéo, faut s'y connaître en coding, division des tâches, trop de trucs à faire, faut constituer une team, etc. Ok ya les RPG-maker mais spa ça. Ya un business à faire dans le "videogames making software", un peu comme les player toolkits de certains rpg mais en plus ouvert, plus étendu, pour qu'un artiste 2D ou 3D, un scénariste, un writer, un gamedesigner, un level designer, un mec avec des idées, un sound designer, ou que sais-je, puisse développer un proto de jeu sans devoir forcément s'y connaître à fond en code, en programmation, etc.

Voilà, c'était l'instant "il faut parler un peu français dans ce thread, défendre notre exception culturelle, et ptete que frédéric nous récompensera en nous invitant boire un kawa et des macarons à une future expo sur les jeux vidéo :p"

Quelle déclaration :)

TriGen

I think he's hinting that there may be changes to the controller. They just won't be huge from a dev point of view.

DrWong

It's exciting ! Et j'aimerais bien être de la partie DrWong ! J'ai trop d'idées dans la tête...
Une agence/conseil pour studio/éditeurs en manque d'idées de gameplay. Pas pour fournir un contenu fini, ni pour dév', simplement pour stimuler créativement, anticiper sur ce qui peut fonctionner/va arriver etc... Donc pas besoin d'une big équipe, plutôt de quelques compétences complémentaires et de gens d'expérience...

Sorry guys for the French use, it's just that when it comes directly from the heart...

opi1saved

Neo Member
I was using the same words as the post i quoted to define the extent of the modifications :)

edit: it doesn't mean the overall form will change huh, but if irrelevant = a tiny alteration of the power button position, and significant = bigger differences from the DRC we known than that, then these modifications are significant.
Oh duh...gotcha. Guess I better have some coffee...

opi1saved

Neo Member
I think he's hinting that there may be changes to the controller. They just won't be huge from a dev point of view.
Yeah, I posted before my brain had a chance to kick in apparently. I saw the "significant" and "not very significant" and thought I missed something. I'm hoping for a few changes but nothing major; I've grown accustomed to the circle pads on the 3DS (with CPP) and while I love clickable sticks I didn't miss them terribly on the awesome Wiimote/Nunchuck combo.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Une agence/conseil pour studio/éditeurs en manque d'idées de gameplay. Pas pour fournir un contenu fini, ni pour dév', simplement pour stimuler créativement, anticiper sur ce qui peut fonctionner/va arriver etc... Donc pas besoin d'une big équipe, plutôt de quelques compétences complémentaires et de gens d'expérience...

Sorry guys for the French use, it's just that when it comes directly from the heart...

Oui exactement, une boite de consulting pour le jeu vidéo en gros, j'ai pensé à ça depuis longtemps, mais c'est ptete un secteur trop jeune, et puis yaurait plein de paramètres à gérer, imagine que tu fournisses à un studio une idée de génie qui va faire vendre leur jeu par million, comment la boîte est rémunérée, au pourcentage ? Comment statuer sur le fait que l'idée, c'est toi qui l'a eue.

Bref, j'vais arrêter là :p

Sorry for the offtopic, /end

Please let one of the 'small adjustments' be moving the face buttons down slightly and closer to the screen. Even a small little movement like that would help immensely in my opinion.

DrWong

I have still to deal with this Ono hype, when he hinted an undisclosed feature difficult to show/advertise. If he didn't say bs I don't know how to link it with what we know about the system & the Upad. NFC can't be the thing. And the way Ono talked about it doesn't sound to me like a minor feature.

What do you think guys?

BurntPork

Banned
No they didn't. I talked to the Ubisoft guys during E3 2006 and they said they knew about it long before E3. They had sounds coming out of the controller speaker in their E3 demo of Red Steel.

I remember hearing that it was a last-minute thing that wasn't in kits until like 6 months before launch...

BY2K

Membero Americo

Knew it!

tkscz

opi1saved

Neo Member
I have still to deal with this Ono hype, when he hinted an undisclosed feature difficult to show/advertise. If he didn't say bs I don't know how to link it with what we know about the system & the Upad. NFC can't be the thing. And the way Ono talked about it doesn't sound to me like a minor feature.

What do you think guys?
The entire tablet is really just a shell into which you snap your brand new Wii Phone. It comes complete with a 6.2" touch screen, NFC capability (Street Pass device), WiiTunes, and runs on that Android OS we've been hearing about (with exclusive access to the Nintendo subsection of the Google Play store). Take that Sony Ericsson!

sinxtanx

The Q & A of the last investor brefing is up in the Nintendo site : http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/120427qa/index.html
...in japanese...could we get some Japgaf over here?

Iwata via Google Translate said:
I think the same way, for Wii U, going to start from scratch we throw away all that was good because I do not think Wii, I'll see that the first part, and look for the improvement of hard.

There you go, Wii U throws away everything that was good, is more hardcore.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The Q & A of the last investor brefing is up in the Nintendo site : http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/120427qa/index.html
...in japanese...could we get some Japgaf over here?

First, download "in the software of Wii U because it takes some time to download, (download sales of package software) or not is it is not very attractive on the experience of our customers," As for the pointed out that, at present, broadband moment is that there should be no software to download 10 gigabytes Even with the line.

If Retro launch a HD game with cutscenes, occupying 24GB of data, it won't be available for digitial purchase then ? :p

If Retro launch a HD game with cutscenes, occupying 24GB of data, it won't be available for digitial purchase then ? :p

Well if this rumoured pocket device could be loaded with digital Wii U software from a shop, I'd guess its storage wouldn't be quite that big.

Ideaman have you heard anything about changes to the screen resolution?

thanks for replying to all this. Sounds good. Do you actually know what the specific changes are? Or do you just know that significant changes are abound for the controller? I know if you knew specifics you probably wouldn't be able to say, but I'm sure you can tell us whether we'd be pleased considering our complaints from the discussion yesterday.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Wow. That's an important detail that's probably going to piss a lot of people off.

Well,
1) It's from the incomprehensible google trad
2) Iwata wasn't able to reveal all in this meeting
3) The OS/Online/Digital distribution service are still heavily in development/flux and this kind of "details" may be not finalized and Iwata is just talking about the most common situation (he expect the download of an "usual" HD game like the 6GB Skyrim, maybe 20GB games will be downloadable, maybe only the playable part will be and the cutscenes will be streamed if they really want to avoid people to download such large amount, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom